The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:So I just re-watched Natural Born Killers for the first time in a couple years. It's really interesting now that I have a better grasp of the film theory neccesary to explain it. Definitely noticed the influence of the soviet montage theory on it. It used a lot of cuts away from the story that gave background info or symbolic significance to the events of the story.
That said still an amazing, disorienting, thought provoking, and disturbingly fun couple hours. I knew the plot and could break down what was being done to maipulate me. But it still got me on that gut level like the first time I saw it.
That is my all-time favorite Oliver Stone film. You should watch it with his commentary. Also, you can see how it influenced the films of Rob Zombie.

There was a previous discussion on this thread about slasher films and that made me dig through my collection, particularly the "Halloween" series which I own all except "Halloween III: Season of the Witch". I probably should get a copy of that. Most fans didn't like it because the character Michael Myers was not in it. But, taken for what it is, an attempt to take the series in a new direction of horror films simply set on Halloween, it is actually a pretty good film. It as has the intriguing premise of witchcraft in the computer age.

If you hate most of the "Halloween" sequels, there is away around some of them. "Halloween: H20" completely ignores parts 4, 5 and 6. It picks up 20 years after the end of "Halloween 2" with Michael surviving the explosion and fire at the hospital and going into hiding, trying to track down Laurie Strode who has now faked her death, changed her identity and lives in Northern California.

Ignoring past sequels is nothing new in long running film series. With each era in the "Godzilla" series, they usually go back to the first film and ignore all of its sequels.
I can definitely see the influence of it in house of 1000 corpses. And the way he wrote the firefly family.

I forget which one it was but the Halloween sequel that had busta rhymes was great and people need to stop hating on it.
Busta rhymes kung fun kicking Michael Meyers is one of my top ten movie moments ever.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:So I just re-watched Natural Born Killers for the first time in a couple years. It's really interesting now that I have a better grasp of the film theory neccesary to explain it. Definitely noticed the influence of the soviet montage theory on it. It used a lot of cuts away from the story that gave background info or symbolic significance to the events of the story.
That said still an amazing, disorienting, thought provoking, and disturbingly fun couple hours. I knew the plot and could break down what was being done to maipulate me. But it still got me on that gut level like the first time I saw it.
That is my all-time favorite Oliver Stone film. You should watch it with his commentary. Also, you can see how it influenced the films of Rob Zombie.

There was a previous discussion on this thread about slasher films and that made me dig through my collection, particularly the "Halloween" series which I own all except "Halloween III: Season of the Witch". I probably should get a copy of that. Most fans didn't like it because the character Michael Myers was not in it. But, taken for what it is, an attempt to take the series in a new direction of horror films simply set on Halloween, it is actually a pretty good film. It as has the intriguing premise of witchcraft in the computer age.

If you hate most of the "Halloween" sequels, there is away around some of them. "Halloween: H20" completely ignores parts 4, 5 and 6. It picks up 20 years after the end of "Halloween 2" with Michael surviving the explosion and fire at the hospital and going into hiding, trying to track down Laurie Strode who has now faked her death, changed her identity and lives in Northern California.

Ignoring past sequels is nothing new in long running film series. With each era in the "Godzilla" series, they usually go back to the first film and ignore all of its sequels.
I can definitely see the influence of it in house of 1000 corpses. And the way he wrote the firefly family.

I forget which one it was but the Halloween sequel that had busta rhymes was great and people need to stop hating on it.
Busta rhymes kung fun kicking Michael Meyers is one of my top ten movie moments ever.

That would be "Halloween: Resurrection". It was directed by the same man who directed part 2, Rick Rosenthal.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Huh. I consider that the worst Halloween movie and an absolute desecration of what made the films good in the first place. *shrug*

On the subject of Halloween, this October I'm planning on watching one horror movie a day. Anyone have suggestions? :)
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

Penwrite wrote:Huh. I consider that the worst Halloween movie and an absolute desecration of what made the films good in the first place. *shrug*

On the subject of Halloween, this October I'm planning on watching one horror movie a day. Anyone have suggestions? :)
Ju-on
Ringu
V/H/S
V/H/S 2
Christine
Scream
Nightmare on Elm Street
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Bram Stoker's Dracula
[rec]
Quarantine
Carrie
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (Del Toro version)
Pan's Labyrinth (not really horror, but freaky)
Trick R Treat
Silent Hill (first one only)
Silence of the Lambs
Psycho
Frankenstein
Wolf Man
Freaks
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Nosferatu
Friday the 13th
Halloween
John Carpenter's The Thing
John Carpenter's Vampires
Alien
Aliens

These are just off the top of my head.
Just a personal aside, but, I'd also include Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island. It's probably the best zombie movie I've seen. Just my humble opinion.
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Huh. I consider that the worst Halloween movie and an absolute desecration of what made the films good in the first place. *shrug*

You've probably seen most of these so pick and choose. And to differentiate the originals from the remakes or films that just have similar titles I added the date.

Phantasm
Lifeforce
Scarecrows (1988)
The Dead (2010)
Exit Humanity
House By The Cemetery
House Of The Devil
Superstition
Cannibal Holocaust
The Beyond
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
Survival of the Dead
City of the Living Dead
Dog Soldiers
The Howling
Hellraiser
Nightbreed
Lord of Illusions
Pumpkinhead
Kill List
Juan of the Dead
Outpost
Outpost: Black Sun
Dead Snow
Dead Snow 2
Bereavement
Inside
High Tension
Frontier(s)
Martyrs
Hatchet
Demons
Night of the Demons (1988)
Dust Devil
The Prowler
My Bloody Valentine (1981)
Re-Animator
Street Trash
The Toxic Avenger

That's just for starters, I could literally go on all day.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I mean maybe if you pay attention to weird stuff like staying true to the source material and the quality of the actual movie.
But Busta Rhymes kicks Michael myers out of a window and that 3 or so combined minutes of busta rhymes vs. Michael myers is just so cool. Turns out the antidote to cheesy horror movie villains was rappers the whole time. I call this the Ice Cube in Anaconda effect :p

Also, huge fan of Busta. That guy is literally and lyrically insane. So yeah.......

To answer your halloween question Either Carnival of souls or Jacob's ladder.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

A third V/H/S movie is coming out! *dances*
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

On the topic of horror movies...
Turn Undead!
Holy Word!
Holy Smite!
Consecrate!
Searing Light!
Death Ward!
Implosion!
There, all the undead went away.
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

But what if it's rage virus and/or voodoo zombies?
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Um....
If it's voodoo zombies, Dispel Magic.
If it's just really angry people, Calm Emotions.
And again, Implosion.
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

Freddy vs Jason is on SyFy. This is probably my biggest guilty pleasure movie.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Try The Mist and Ghost Ship. Also Pet Cemetery.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I recommend Creepshow.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Saw Guardians, finally. Great movie. X3

I was surprised to see Michael Rooker in the movie too. That made me like the movie much more.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Saw Lets Be Cops. Its actually pretty funny.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Radio Blue Heart

Vegas wrote:Freddy vs Jason is on SyFy. This is probably my biggest guilty pleasure movie.
That movie delivers on what it promises. Regardless of quality it is fun!
Saturn381 wrote:

I recommend Creepshow.
An excellent film! Definitely check out "Creepshow 2", but don't bother with "Creepshow 3" because its awful! It is a terrible unauthorized sequel. Its not just boring and not scary, its just stupid.

The film "Tales From The Dark Side: The Movie" was intended to be the third Creepshow film, but its name was changed to cash in on the success of the "Tales From The Dark Side" television series. The creators acknowledge it as a sequel in spirit if not in name.
-Virgil
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

My dad wanted me to see a old 70's movie called "Colossus: The Forbin Project ". About a man that builds a super computer that takes over the world. It wasn't terrifying but was actually unsettling. It also ended on a great cliffhanger, you don't know what will happen to humanity and everything seems like they will fail in stopping it.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, and it was really good!
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Taxidermia is a pretty good one, I've heard. It's some Hungarian body horror flick. Most of what I know about it is from my brother, though, so I can't give you many specifics.

And of course, the classics- Psycho, Alien, etc. etc.

Although I myself am not a horror movie kind of guy, so I can't make any more obscure suggestions.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

watched The Trial (1963). A man in a nameless country stands trial for an unnamed crime...
Orson Welles had said that it was his best film, and I would agree with him on that.
Panda Panda Panda
Deske

Post by Deske »

I have finished watching the Lone Ranger, the 'new one. It's good. Funny and I liked it.
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

I watched a few of the DC animated movies. Under The Red Hood is pretty good, though the animation isn't that great, in my opinion. Justice League War I enjoyed, which, from what I gather, is an unpopular opinion (my main complaint is the portrayal of Wonder Woman as a blood knight) and Batman: Assault On Arkham could have been called Assault On Arkham Starring Batman Not Appearing In This Film, which I'm not complaining. I liked seeing the Suicide Squad do their stuff with Batman not being the star. Can we have a Robin movie next?
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

Saw a movie on Netflix that terrified me as a kid: Evolver. Of course, now, the movie is just plain stupid; Think Short Circuit, but with more death. XD Also, considering I saw the bleeped out conversion on TV, I am surprised at how many F bombs are dropped in a film likely targeted at the 10-16 year old crowd. Also, we get John De Lancie NOT playing a mustache-twirling villain.

On a side note, speaking of obscure movies, I just remembered a rather fun game I played on another forum: The Movie Pitch Game. Here's how it worked…

1. First poster puts down the title of an obscure or weird movie (likely one that not many have seen).
2. Next poster writes a short pitch for the movie (often funny) that likely doesn't have anything to do with the original plot.
3. That poster then puts down another movie title.
4. Repeat steps 2 through 4 with the next poster.

In any case, I will never forget one of the responses to a movie title I put up: The Philadelphia Experiment (another super cheesy sci-fi movie)

"Time is running out for the city of brotherly love! Now the mayor of Philadelphia must team up with a resurrected Benjamin Franklin and Rocky Balboa in order to prevent a mad scientist from drenching the city (and soon, the world) in cream cheese. Can this unlikely trio save their city?! Or will they be stuck arguing which place has the better cheesesteak?! Find out this summer in...The Philadelphia Experiment!

Showing in Pretzelvision!"
Last edited by Lucid_Dragon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Lucid_Dragon wrote:In any case, I will never forget one of the responses to a movie title I put up: The Philadelphia Experiment (another super cheesy sci-fi movie)

"Time is running out for the city of brotherly love! Now the mayor of Philadelphia must team up with a resurrected Benjamin Franklin and Rocky Balboa in order to prevent a mad scientist from drenching the city (and soon, the world) in cream cheese. Can this unlikely trio save their city?! Or will they be stuck arguing which place has the better cheesesteak?! Find out this summer in...The Philadelphia Experiment!

Showing in Pretzelvision!"
One of these days, someone is going to actually make a movie like that. Like, a major film company will. It'll be one of those films that's advertised for months before it's released in like, every movie theater. A movie that stands on one premise alone: Be so incredibly out there and stupid sounding that EVERYONE will want to go see it. It will have not a single serious moment in it and it shall be called the greatest film in history.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

Over the weekend I went to see "Guardians of the Galaxy" again because its just that good and I saw "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" at a dollar theater.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Lucid_Dragon wrote:In any case, I will never forget one of the responses to a movie title I put up: The Philadelphia Experiment (another super cheesy sci-fi movie)
I'd have known what it was cause I'm familiar with the thing the title refers to :P
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Last night I watched "Australia" with Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman. Really good movie!
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

If no one has watched Blended, I recommend you do so. Now. Right Now. :P
Radio Blue Heart

I ordered a bunch of movies online and they arrived today. I have "Sleepaway Camp", "Tombs of the Blind Dead", "Motel Hell" and "Stalingrad 3D"!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just finished watching Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hoole for the first time, and two things come to mind. One, that was one of the most horrific villain deaths I've ever seen, and two, I can't believe that movie hardly ever gets talked about.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I just saw the 1987 version of Robo cop for the first time this wekeend. It was awesome! I thought it would be good in a throw backy corny way but it was just a really solid sci-fi action movie. I'm glad I finally have it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I finally saw Thomas and the Magic Railroad again after not seeing it since I was 4 or 5. It's not as cheesy as I thought it would've been.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Found some gems movie shopping yesterday. I finally saw the entirety of Ghost Dog: Way of the samurai yesterday. It was like an urban kung fu movie. THat's the best way I can describe it. I really love forest whitaker. This definitely proves him being awesome in the crying game is no fluke.
I also saw this really cool 30's french film called Pépe le Moko in class. It was a french film that was pretty much a film noir before film noir was a thing (at least in the sense that critics hadn't written extensively on it yet). Really interesting historically and a darn good movie on its' own merits. I'm loving this film noir class so far. You can't beat watching stuff like that and The Maltese Falcon for credit.

On another note, I need some advice from someone who's seen some of these movies.
I got 4 movies I have never seen yesterday, Angel Heart, The Warriors, My name is Bruce, and the Ruins. WHat do I watch first?
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

hypernovatic wrote:I finally saw Thomas and the Magic Railroad again after not seeing it since I was 4 or 5. It's not as cheesy as I thought it would've been.
I can't watch 30 Rock without thinking about
"sparkle sparkle sparkle".
Just an Arc
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:Found some gems movie shopping yesterday. I finally saw the entirety of Ghost Dog: Way of the samurai yesterday. It was like an urban kung fu movie. THat's the best way I can describe it. I really love forest whitaker. This definitely proves him being awesome in the crying game is no fluke.
I also saw this really cool 30's french film called Pépe le Moko in class. It was a french film that was pretty much a film noir before film noir was a thing (at least in the sense that critics hadn't written extensively on it yet). Really interesting historically and a darn good movie on its' own merits. I'm loving this film noir class so far. You can't beat watching stuff like that and The Maltese Falcon for credit.

On another note, I need some advice from someone who's seen some of these movies.
I got 4 movies I have never seen yesterday, Angel Heart, The Warriors, My name is Bruce, and the Ruins. WHat do I watch first?
"The Warriors"! By far!!!

"Can you dig it?! CAN YOU DIG IT?!"
-Virgil
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

hypernovatic wrote:I finally saw Thomas and the Magic Railroad again after not seeing it since I was 4 or 5. It's not as cheesy as I thought it would've been.
Kinda feel sorry for Mara Wilson there. :lol: Kidding, she's pretty good in that. I actually kind of want to rewatch that.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:Found some gems movie shopping yesterday. I finally saw the entirety of Ghost Dog: Way of the samurai yesterday. It was like an urban kung fu movie. THat's the best way I can describe it. I really love forest whitaker. This definitely proves him being awesome in the crying game is no fluke.

"The Warriors"! By far!!!

"Can you dig it?! CAN YOU DIG IT?!"
I am told that I will in fact dig it. Both my father and a rapper I interviewed once speak highly of it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Gonna go watch The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker. Jaws was the best Bond villain.
RIP Richard Kiel...
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

I watch my new movies. "Stalingrad/Сталинград" was an excellent film! I have a new favorite war film. Yes, there are some very exciting action sequences, but there are many great moments of human drama and some very chilling scenes. As far as Russian war films go I think this one can easily stand with classics like "Come and See", "9th Company", "Attack on Leningrad" and "Ivan's Childhood".

Next watched the Spanish horror film "Tombs of the Blind Dead/La noche del terror ciego". It is an excellent gothic horror story set around a ruined abbey that was the home of corrupt group of Knights Templar who practiced black magic and drank blood. They were hanged and their eyes pecked out by crows. If anyone should try to spend the night at the abbey they will rise from their graves and hunt their victims by sound. You can see the massive impact that George A. Romero's "Night of the Living Dead" had on Spanish horror films of this time. Before his film, most Spanish horror films tended to be retelling of the Universal monster movies, then afterwards their was a major shift.

I had not seen "Motel Hell" in a long time. It was great to see it again after so long. It is in the same vein as "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

I already had a copy of "Sleepaway Camp" but this new one is the complete and uncut version and it has a much of special features. One of the things that bugged me was how facetious the director was in the commentaries. I think he thought he was being funny, but it came off as annoying and frustrating, especially for fans that have been dying to hear him reveal something about the film. For example, he asks about the relationship between Angela's father and her aunt, he just says "oh they are either brother and sister or they are bother-in-law and sister-in-law." Nothing about the development of the characters. Nothing about why they are the way they are. Uh.
-Virgil