The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Punchy

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Punchy »

Watched Papillon, a great movie about Henri "Papillon" Charriere and his attempts to escape Devil's Island. Replacing Bullitt as my favorite Steve McQueen film.
Panda Panda Panda
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I finally watched karate kid and now I wish Mr miyagi was my dad.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seth wrote:I finally watched karate kid and now I wish Mr miyagi was my dad.
Mr. Miyagi is one cool dude.

Edit: so here's some sad news. Hayao Miyazaki is retiring.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Sleet wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:"Pan's Labyrinth" was rated R. It was not meant for children.
Neither is a movie rated PG-13.
But it is a lot easier for them to get in.

This brings to mind a story that Lloyd Kaufman wrote about in one of his books. When he first founded Troma Films, they would cut their movies to get the necessary rating and then put all the footage back in for the release. It all went fine until a theater in the Bronx played Troma's film "Bloodsucking Freaks" in a double bill with "I Spit On Your Grave". To give you an idea of what kind of film it is, they had to cut 45 minutes of footage to get and R rating! A woman had brought her 4 year old son to this double feature and complained to the MPAA. Troma got fined.

I am debating whether or not to go see the film "You're Next". It is the only horror film in theaters now, but It does not seem that interesting. Can anyone give me some insight?

I found two Disney films that flopped at the box office at the used DVD shop. "Treasure Planet" and "John Carter". I really don't know why they failed. They were not bad. Actually, they were both very well made.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I saw treasure planet for the first time at my friends place this summer and I've got to agree. I really liked it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Recently saw Hitchcock's Rear Window, great movie. My favorite Hitchcock films are still North By Northwest and Vertigo, but I have yet to see one that a didn't like. I still need to see Torn Curtain, 'cause Paul Newman..
Panda Panda Panda
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't think I've seen a single one of his movies. I need to fix that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Start with rear window. Its awesome
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Psycho is another great Hitchcock film.

Last Christmas I gotNorth by Northwest. I was absolutely loving it... until the ending. I'm sorry, I know the film's considered one of Hitchcock's best, but that ending just ruined the whole thing for me. Biggest copout I've ever seen in a film.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Well you can't go wrong with psycho but its better known and as a result some of the shock value is lost.Rear window isn't as good but since its a bit more obscure so you get more out of it IMO.

On the subject of Hitchcock I picked up a box set of some of his earlier works this summer. Has anyone else seen blackmail or the 39 steps? ID be curious to get some other opinions on them.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Liam

Post by Liam »

You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, so the saying goes, but after watching the trailer of the Robocop reboot I have to wonder if it's really a good idea to make Robocop a guy in a Power Rangers costume.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Liam wrote:You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, so the saying goes, but after watching the trailer of the Robocop reboot I have to wonder if it's really a good idea to make Robocop a guy in a Power Rangers costume.
I'd rather watch Rowboatcop.
Seth wrote:On the subject of Hitchcock I picked up a box set of some of his earlier works this summer. Has anyone else seen blackmail or the 39 steps? ID be curious to get some other opinions on them.
I've seen that box set, but haven't watched those movies.
If you like Hitchcock films, then I suggest you check out Charade. It's not one of his films, but it's similar in ways.
Panda Panda Panda
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Went to see the latest Vin Diesel movie yesterday. Was good but I was surprised it was only rated 15.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Happy Friday the 13th! :)
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Happy Friday the 13th! :)
Indeed! I think I will celebrate this occasion by watching all the "Friday the 13th" movies tonight!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

October! Which means... scary movies! :D

I'm gonna watch one horror movie every day for the entirety of October! Wish me (and my sanity) luck!
Firenze

Post by Firenze »

That's a pretty insane challenge for ya to make, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea (I've been more focused on trying out horror games, haha). Hopefully you don't turn into a mindless zombie when the month is over. :lol:

The most recent movie I've seen was Now You See Me. I'm a real sucker when it comes to magic tricks, but it was a rather decent movie. Some parts were rather predictable, but the huge twist at the end just blew my mind away faster than a rabbit being pulled out of a hat.
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:October! Which means... scary movies! :D

I'm gonna watch one horror movie every day for the entirety of October! Wish me (and my sanity) luck!
I'd say that I would join you in your challenge, but I already watch nothing but horror films already!

Speaking of which, my copies of "Frankenstein's Army" and the special edition of "Lifeforce" just arrived in the mail today! So, you can guess what I am watching tonight!

I also found copies of "Godzilla Raids Again" and "Godzilla Vs. Mothra" for Hunter's friend Alyson when I meet her!
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I'm watching a bunch of horror movies too!
So far I've watched "Curse of the Demon" and "Night of the Living Dead". Next will be "Carnival of Souls" and "Billy the Kid vs Dracula".
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

Punchy wrote:I'm watching a bunch of horror movies too!
So far I've watched "Curse of the Demon" and "Night of the Living Dead". Next will be "Carnival of Souls" and "Billy the Kid vs Dracula".
Good choices. But, "Billy the Kid Vs Dracula" is better as a comedy. If you liked "Night of the Living Dead" then definitely check out the other films in George A. Romero's "Dead" films!

I found this on youtube! Horror buffs will certainly love it! Guillermo Del Toro designed the opening couch gag to the latest Simpsons Treehouse of Horror!

It is loaded with references to his films as well as some of his favorite movies! Its incredible!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That opening needs to be preserved in the Smithsonian. That's a work of it, that is.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So, I thought Gravity looked really dumb but it's apparently getting phenomenal reviews. I guess I have to see it... *grumbles*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, and I actually quite enjoyed it.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Good choices. But, "Billy the Kid Vs Dracula" is better as a comedy.
Yeah, thats what I though and why I wanted to see it. I mean, with a title like that I wouldn't think you're supposed to take it seriously :lol:

Here's a good crime/horror film from Germany: Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse.
I should add it's directed by Fritz Lang and a sequel to Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler (which I have not seen). Also, the film was banned in Germany by Joseph Goebbels
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

I just got a chance to watch "Frankenstein's Army" and it was AWESOME!!!

Everything about this movie works! The cinematography, acting, directing, sets and special effects! Its super gory, scary and funny! If you like films like "Re-Animator" and "Return of the Living Dead" then you will love this movie! Its the best horror film I have seen in a long time!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Ya know, I've never seen "Return of the Living Dead". I need to fix that.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Ya know, I've never seen "Return of the Living Dead". I need to fix that.
You won't be disappointed! It was written and directed by Dan O'Bannon.
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Gravity and wow...it was really good!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Does anyone here have a "fallback" movie? Like, you're in the mood to watch something, but nothing in particular sounds good, so you just throw the fallback movie on?
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Penwrite wrote:Does anyone here have a "fallback" movie? Like, you're in the mood to watch something, but nothing in particular sounds good, so you just throw the fallback movie on?
I did at one point, it was A Fistful of Dollars and there was also A Night at the Opera (The Marx Brothers).

Recently watched Horror of Dracula and Vampyr
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Does anyone here have a "fallback" movie? Like, you're in the mood to watch something, but nothing in particular sounds good, so you just throw the fallback movie on?
For me it would be "Zombi Holocaust", aka "Doctor Butcher, MD (Medical Deviate)". No matter what mood I am in I like to watch it just to watch a movie. It is just so crazy and exploitative. I love it.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

So I finally watched sunset boulevard. A few classics fall kind of short, some live up to expectations, and some blow your mind and leave you wondering how you've survived before watching them. I'm happy to say this one is in the third category.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

For the first time since I was 3, I saw The Secret of NIMH again. I say that it is by far the best animated film I have ever seen. It didn't just tell the story, it made me FEEL the story, and it made me FEEL what the characters were feeling. That's something that I usually only find in comics or written works, so knowing that a movie did that cements it as a great in my mind.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:For the first time since I was 3, I saw The Secret of NIMH again. I say that it is by far the best animated film I have ever seen. It didn't just tell the story, it made me FEEL the story, and it made me FEEL what the characters were feeling. That's something that I usually only find in comics or written works, so knowing that a movie did that cements it as a great in my mind.
What I love about that film is that it's not afraid to challenge its audience.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Welp, I saw some movies.

The Sky Crawlers by Mamoru Oshii, director of Ghost in the Shell, revolves around the lives of warplane pilots in a counterpart world of WWII. While the aerial battles and machines are lovingly rendered, they're not the focus of the film a lá Top Gun and consorts. It's about the characters and their relations to each other, especially between the protagonist and his rather unhinged CO/love interest and their place in the world. Highly recommended.

Sky Blue/Wonderful Days... forgettable, and that's generous. Romeo & Juliet rehash deal with one party belonging to the oppressed worker class and the other to the last high-tech city in their post-apocalyptic world. In TVTropes speak, this one would be an anvilicious, clueless/broken green aesop ending in a confusing, underwhelming and very much ridiculous climax. Don't waste harddrive space for this...

Perfect Blue was a chilling experience. It's practically the anime David Lynch never made (so much so that Black Swan is directly inspired by it). A young idol (Japanese pop singer) decides to "grow up" career-wise and become an actress. People get killed and viewers confused, albeit in a positive way.

Paprika! Quite a visual spectacle trying to depict the richness and mutability of dreams. An experimental device that allows its user to enter another person's dreams is stolen and the researchers who made it and a detective must stop it from being used in malicious ways, with the eponymous alter ego/split personality of one leading the charge.

Lupin III: The Castle Of Cagliostro. The descendant of one of France's most famous literary thieves has to save Nausicaa from that one supporting character who's in nearly every Miyazaki film and run into some plot points of Castle In The Sky, and all that without Studio Ghibli even yet existing. Liked it as a child, still do.

Cypher. Solid piece of spy-fi. Meek guy has to undergo brainwashing for corporat espionage mission, soon questions his real identity.

And lastly, one for the horror crowd. Cronos is Guillermo del Torro's creepy, heart-wrenching debut and one of the best vampire films there are.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I finally saw Howl's Moving Castle. It was good! Pretty hard to follow though.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
...it's messed up. Bette Davis was terrifying.
I read that Bette Davis and Joan Crawford didn't get along at all, which really added to the film. For one scene Crawford asked for a dummy to be used, fearing that Davis actually kick here.
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

I watched "Clerks" for the first time and I really liked it. I can see a lot of myself in Dante.

I saw a Finnish horror film called "War of the Dead". It was severely lacking in plot, the acting and dialogue were wooden and made a couple of historical and political missteps given the time period it was supposed to be set it. But, it was very exciting and entertaining. If the director was given a better script and cast he could do great things. I am lenient because the film was filmed in English as opposed to Finnish. So being their second or even third language I will let it slide.
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Finally got around to watching Badlands, and I just loved it.
It's another one of those films about a couple who go on a killing spree (somewhat based on a true event), but I thought it was better than any others I've seen.
Martin Sheen played the perfect James Dean tough guy.
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Last night I finally got around to watching The Exorcist. That is a brilliant film.