What's Your Country Like?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

MilesKingford

What's Your Country Like?

Post by MilesKingford »

Good Day to all viewing my first topic.

Since I joined this forum I noticed that there are a lot of people who come from all over the world, I am curious about where our forum members come from. I do not just wish to know where you come from but also what your country is like.

Feel free to talk about whatever you wish about your country from culture and history to climate and the natural environment. Also if you live in a state within a larger country such as China, USA, UK and others then do talk about those states too. It goes without saying that you must stick to the forum rules.

I look forward to your posts.

(If I have not posted about my country then I am doing that now).
FlintTheSquirrel

Re: What's Your Country Like?

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

America:
Boring and a distinct lack of trees as compared to Sweden. D;
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

full of fat people... and idiots (U.S.A.)
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

England. We drink tea all day, eat plenty of scone. Sup lot's of tea. We love to hunt, although we're still a nation of animal lovers. We love cricket. Any more stereotypes before I say what where I live is really like? ;)

...the only true ones are that I drink a lot of tea, and love animals. other then that, I live on a main road, with loads of cars.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

America, New Jersey is quite boring.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

USA. Far too large and diverse for me to be able to characterize based on the small parts I've been around.
sonic id furreh!!! wrote:full of fat people... and idiots (U.S.A.)
C'mon now, that's not needed.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

I live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

My country is mistakenly called "England" by some, England is in fact a state within the United Kingdom which consists of four main states; England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. We have other smaller states that are dependency's such as South Georgia, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar and others. (It is incorrect to call them states but it is just easier to explain this way).

The UK has changed a lot in the last two decades as the European Union introduced new laws to the UK setting the foundations of a change in attitudes, we have become more tolerant and accepting than ever before. We are the fifth wealthiest country in the world as well as the last country that still has a monarch, our monarchy managed to survive our country turning into a democracy by allowing Parliament to rule, the last time that the monarch tried to challenge Parliament was about 200 years ago.
The UK has a wealth of history; the UK was formed by Queen Elizabeth I who united all of Great Britain together creating the foundations of an empire. Since then we expanded and established colonies to out-do our European rivals, we slowly grew over time to Africa, then to India, and after discovering America we established colonies there. We lost the American Revolution and lost a very crucial part of our empire. We continued to expand by taking colonies from other European countries, our empire was the key to our survival in World War Two and without its support we would have lost to the Nazis. Our empire eventually collapsed through revolutions, international pressure, and economic sanctions. There is also a lot more history than what has been mentioned.

I guess this is plenty for now.
Last edited by MilesKingford on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Ok, Italy is full of mafia, pizza, spaghetti and mandolino...

Unfortunately the first stereotype is not a stereotype at all >_>

Ok, talking seriously, it's not that bad... :roll:

The problem is not the Italy itself, the problem are the Italians :(

Afterall, if it wasn't for the people, it could be a very nice place :roll:
"In nomine Libertatis vincula aedificamus; in nomine Veritatis mendacia efferimus." -Michele Salvemini aka CapaRezza
"Let there be light! That was, uhm... God. I was quoting God."
ChristopherJackal

Post by ChristopherJackal »

I live in the USA, Texas to be exact! There's not much around where I live, things get so sad that Wal-Mart is actually more interesting to go to than the nearest mall! Never actually been out of my state though.... Would love to visit other places! Current list of places to visit, Australia, Canada, and the Galapagos Islands!
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

I live in America, New Jersey specifically. My state is pretty much the target of everybody's criticism because of the large amounts of trash and landfills up north. This is actually the result of being situated directly underneath New York City, possibly the most famous place on earth. And how have they been keeping the city so clean recently (wasn't nearly as clean twenty years ago)? Well, let's just say that the run off from the largest city in America has to go somewhere. Not blaming New York, I'm just saying that it gets very annoying having New Jersey labeled as the state of crap when that is really only the northern most part of the state. Anyway, besides that I live so close to Philadelphia that I often consider myself a resident. As for America, personally I am very grateful for the freedoms and rights that I'm provided with, although I do NOT believe that we are the greatest country in the world and superior to everyone else as many of my peers might tell you. I think that we have a good government but I am also open to all other types of government (except for totalitarianism) including constitutional monarchies and communism (implemented correctly).
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:full of fat people... and idiots (U.S.A.)
Oi! I'll have you know I maintain a solid D average and only weigh 400 pounds!

J/K!
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Sketcherofstuff

There is widespread obesity and yes, the common man is a fool. This applies to the entire world of course. Speaking for myself, the vast majority of people at my school are perfectly content being ignorant and stupid and seem pleased about it. Well, that's my town for ya. Sickening levels of fanatical propaganda where ever you look. WE'RE AWESOME, YOU SUCK! WE ARE SUPERIOR. That's the general consensus where I live. I guess over time it's made a cynic out of me.
Here Comes The Fuzz
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oh, my country.... Yeah, I don't know where to start. Well, the streets - there are holes in the street. And many places with no or damaged sidewalks. And full of rubbish - like, seriously, too much rubbish. It stinks. The shopping malls are very primitive. You can't buy consoles, games and stuff like that. Amazon.com doesn't ship here. Over 50% of adults are unemployed, and it's very hard to leave, because you need a visa to cross the boarder. And it's expensive. The average monthly payment is 500 marks, which is around 300 dollars. Maybe a bit more.

I won't go into politics - it would take a while, and it's all bad stuff. All I'll say is that we had elections this year, and the same people won. But there are 48% of "invalid" ballots. Oh, and, earlier this year, the EU gave us 500 million euro, and the government stole all of that money for themselves. They sent it, to, ya know, build highways and stuff. Education is expensive, and the food prices are rising, while the payments get lower and lower. Gas prizes are rising, too. It's very hard to live here.

The people are primitive. 20% of our population are gypsies. Being in any way different from "normal" people (Like being gay, having other religious views than Islam and Christianity, etc) is considering a taboo. Like, being crazy.

And that is all I will say about the evil country with the name Bosnia and Herzegovina. Seriously, even our name sucks.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Sketcherofstuff

Huh, I never would have guessed that you lived in Bosnia and Herzegovina. So English is a second language?
Here Comes The Fuzz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I for one think it's a cool name. Double names are kind of nifty. We had someone at our college from Trinidad & Tobago, and I thought that was cool, but it bugged me so hard saying it because "Trinidad y Tobago" is awkward to say in an English conversation, and "Trinidad and Tobago" hurts me to say as a non-fluent Spanish speaker.

At least you can just say "Bosnia" and mostly get away with it. Our name is long, but we can't abbreviate it correctly in any convenient way. Sure, people just say "America," but that gets awkward when talking to people from Canada or Latin America. "So, how do you like it in America so far?" "So far? I've lived in America my entire life!"
Sketcherofstuff wrote:There is widespread obesity and yes, the common man is a fool. This applies to the entire world of course. Speaking for myself, the vast majority of people at my school are perfectly content being ignorant and stupid and seem pleased about it. Well, that's my town for ya. Sickening levels of fanatical propaganda where ever you look. WE'RE AWESOME, YOU SUCK! WE ARE SUPERIOR. That's the general consensus where I live. I guess over time it's made a cynic out of me.
Well, the obesity isn't worldwide, anyway. But I'd go to say that a good portion of the countries with low obesity would be just as obese as we are if given the same access to food. There are people who are not obese because they watch what they eat and choose to exercise, and then there are people who are not obese because they have to exercise or they can't afford much food (and then there are people like my friend who can eat a disgusting amount of heavy food and stay skinny; I hate him.) Human nature doesn't change from country to country. We just have a lot of money to buy food and a layout that doesn't encourage walking places. Most places that are as rich as we are tend to be smaller, more dense and walking-friendly. Of course, culture is part of it, but I think that culture is the result as well as a cause.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

I'm from the USA. Otherwise known as, "That place that was originally republic but is slowly becoming fascist."
It's relatively boring here, mainly because I live in Georgia. The politicians infight, call each other dirty names when they can't get elected, and constantly try to make free health care sound like a good idea.

And our president is inexperienced.
Frankenstein Shelley
S-7; P- 8; E- 6; C- 4; I- 7; A- 5; L- 5
Alex

Post by Alex »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:Huh, I never would have guessed that you lived in Bosnia and Herzegovina. So English is a second language?
Yeah, it was implemented a couple of years ago. Before that, it was Russian.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

valerio

Post by valerio »

Andrea wrote:Ok, Italy is full of mafia, pizza, spaghetti and mandolino...

totally quote!
Except that it's mafia, pizza, spaghetti and Berlusconi. Nuff said!
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Philippines, a place too happy for its own good.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

My country, Texas, is the best country.

We've been under the reign of our glorious King Perry for like 10 years, and he is awesome and builds toll roads nobody ever uses.

But seriously, Texas is awesome.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:My country, Texas, is the best country.

We've been under the reign of our glorious King Perry for like 10 years, and he is awesome and builds toll roads nobody ever uses.

But seriously, Texas is awesome.

Doesn't Texas have the lowest crime rate? Maybe it's because everybody carries a revolver in public. Something that is considered sinful and devilish down here in Georgia.
Frankenstein Shelley
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

What's so great about dumb ol' Texas?
valerio wrote:Except that it's mafia, pizza, spaghetti and Berlusconi. Nuff said!
Don't forget plumbers!
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Sleet wrote:
valerio wrote:Except that it's mafia, pizza, spaghetti and Berlusconi. Nuff said!
Don't forget plumbers!
and the Assassins.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

valerio wrote:

totally quote!
Correction: Berlusconi, pizza, spaghetti and mandolino... now is more correct :roll:
"In nomine Libertatis vincula aedificamus; in nomine Veritatis mendacia efferimus." -Michele Salvemini aka CapaRezza
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Wow, there's been quite a few bad reviews and all on the first day!
Senator_Sunburst

Don't call Texas dumb!! :p

I always thought that episode was pretty funny.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Andrea wrote:

O YEA!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Can I say plants from Texas are dumb?

Can I say shoes from Texas are dumb?
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Sleet wrote:
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Can I say plants from Texas are dumb?

No... Because people from Texas don't have shoes. Everybody wears boots.
Frankenstein Shelley
Senator_Sunburst

Sleet wrote:Can I say plants from Texas are dumb?

I don't remember anymore lines from this episode!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Alex wrote:And that is all I will say about the evil country with the name Bosnia and Herzegovina. Seriously, even our name sucks.
Well I don't think that this name sucks. It sounds normal to me. And you have a nice looking flag too.
valerio wrote:

totally quote!
And Marco Materazzi ;)
I'm a bookworm!
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I am from Indonesia, and we have instant noddle which is incredibly cheap and good tasting, but not very healthy. It is very hot here and we only have 2 seasons: Dry season and raining season. Nobody has gun here, so you should be safe as long as you don't get yourself cornered or outnumbered. And.... Um... Should I start with the good part or the bad part? Or is there anything anyone want to know?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

as an anarchist, i supposed to say that i hate america, but...
its pretty nice. i like that everything is all, american-y..., and stuff...
bwah bwah
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

@ Aquablast - Say what you want to say, I am interested in anything about your country whether good or bad.
I want better understanding of what the world is like beyond Britain, as long as its true I am fine with everything posted on this thread.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Aquablast wrote:I am from Indonesia, and we have instant noddle which is incredibly cheap and good tasting, but not very healthy.
Cheap and delicious food that's bad for you? Wow, being an American I can't say I've ever heard of anything like that.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Israel. it depends on where you live. if you live in the center, or up north, then its fun in the sun. if you leave down south, then its fun in the sun, but every now and then terrorists bomb you. then again, they are so bad at it that they can't stop missing (i kid you not).

also, its a very well educated country with a lot of history to offer to almost every possible religion and culture, its number 1 when it comes to military tech (it sells the research and products to the U.S.) it has bamba (a great snack) and i will repeat this because this is very true, it has great education.
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Sleet wrote:USA. Far too large and diverse for me to be able to characterize based on the small parts I've been around.
Really? I thought this might be a topic you could excel at.
I have heard of the conflicting diversity in the US between the South and North, also for some reason the cultural diversity from other nations cultures mixing with US culture is overshadowed and ignored. I would have believe a country like the US would boast its diverse cultural scene.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Jack wrote:Israel. it depends on where you live. if you live in the center, or up north, then its fun in the sun. if you leave down south, then its fun in the sun, but every now and then terrorists bomb you. then again, they are so bad at it that they can't stop missing (i kid you not).

also, its a very well educated country with a lot of history to offer to almost every possible religion and culture, its number 1 when it comes to military tech (it sells the research and products to the U.S.) it has bamba (a great snack) and i will repeat this because this is very true, it has great education.
I didn't think Isreal was so well developed (no offense), this would explain the United States close relationship to Isreal, so do you have universal education?
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:America:
Boring and a distinct lack of trees as compared to Sweden. D;
We (the British I mean) are told that Sweden has some of the best education and healthcare in the world, our government struggles to figure out what you do differently so we can improve our own.