Firearm/Survival Topic# Six shots or only Five?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

GunRacer

Re: Gun Topic #Bang bAng baNg banG

Post by GunRacer »

Sarnoff:
Used 2 3/4" shells might work; it depends on your gun. If you fold the crimp back to how it was at first, you probably won't have problems-- just drill some holes or something in the dummy rounds so they look different than live ammo.

Yeah, it really is best to store a gun hammer-down if it's going to be that way for any significant length of time. I mean, it's not that hard to hit the pump when you first pick it up... plus, you need to be doing a chamber and mag check every time you pick up that gun. Too many people have shot themselves with "unloaded" firearms.

Yeah, there are some pretty big differences with shotgun shell size: a bigger charge and more payload. That buckshot is going to make the target loads you've been shooting look positively mild by comparison. What with the cost difference and everything, buckshot is basically good for only one thing, and that's killing stuff. Birdshot, especially out of a short unchoked barrel, doesn't have the "punch" to deal with larger animals, or really most anything beyond seven yards. Slugs are also pretty much for killing stuff, particularly larger game like deer. To make the most out of slug loads, you'll want to get a red dot sight or similar-- the front bead just isn't enough for accurate aiming at a distance.

If you want a cheap/emergency "slug" load, here's an old trick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU
Also watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BlbiKUWkyI#!
Just remember-- ONLY chamber-load these things (as in push them directly into the chamber). Otherwise a cut shell can come apart in the magazine or loading port, which spills shot and powder everywhere. That's bad.

A stock sleeve isn't a bad idea, but a pistol grip might be. If by pistol grip you mean something like this: http://www.mountsplus.com/mm5/merchant. ... TSG-0200-B, sure. Pistol grips are more ergonomic and handier to use-- there's a reason everything from modern shotguns to precision bolt-actions use them now (the side-folding stock also helps you store/carry the gun more easily). But if by pistol grip you mean this: http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accesso ... 81154.html, that's a terrible idea. Stupid recoil, ridiculous inaccuracy, etc... not a good idea.

Unless you're traveling on a plane and need to check a gun, a hard-sided guitar case will work just fine, and be a little more low-profile than a standard gun case to boot.

RBH:
Okay, you've got the .30-cal model. From what I've seen, the surplus ammo for it has pretty much dried up... do you know of any good place to get the stuff for cheap?

-GunRacer

Post by 0404 »

Gunracer, is your Gun part of your EDC? I've seen someone who has guns as their EDC on lots of different websites.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Not yet.

As soon as I get my concealed-carry permit at 21, though, my pistol will go everywhere I do (except for airports and the like, obviously). And thanks to a law that that Texas passed recently, anyone over age 18 can concealed-carry in their own car/truck-- so I'll probably be doing that when on long drives and such.

Until then, I'll have to make do with my knife (which my college does let me carry, God bless 'em), excessively bright flashlight (a better defensive tool than you might think), and martial-arts experience. Considering that I don't make it a habit of being in stupid places, at stupid times, with stupid people, doing stupid things, that should be enough.

Post by 0404 »

GunRacer wrote:Not yet.

As soon as I get my concealed-carry permit at 21, though, my pistol will go everywhere I do (except for airports and the like, obviously). And thanks to a law that that Texas passed recently, anyone over age 18 can concealed-carry in their own car/truck-- so I'll probably be doing that when on long drives and such.

Until then, I'll have to make do with my knife (which my college does let me carry, God bless 'em), excessively bright flashlight (a better defensive tool than you might think), and martial-arts experience. Considering that I don't make it a habit of being in stupid places, at stupid times, with stupid people, doing stupid things, that should be enough.
you are the best bodyguard I know of. well It's kinda stupid question but, if you were in public place and some gun-crime hits near by (like 50 yards away), would you avoid it or defend other folks with your gun? like the McDonald case.

I wish my school let me carry my knife too, only Swiss army knife/utility knife. since I work at back stage of the theatre and sound booth, I find my self in a situation where I can't really do anything with out a knife or scissor. But in reality I don't want my school to let us, because other mad druggies will be causing problems.

My EDC is
Watch
Handy dandy Notebook
Swiss armyknife
cell Phone
Cheap 2$ LED flashlight
on winter season, chocolates (tootsie rolls).
and at night time, Swiss Military army knife

I should get "excessively bright flashlight" for myself too. which brand of Knife do you recommend for self defense? I mean,,, it's kinda safe place to be around here (yeah second highest murder rate in Canada), but I do have an urge to have one with me for in case... even if I find my self in a time where I have to drop down someone, I have licensed 1st level of taekwondo skills, so no worry. though I haven't practiced for a long while...
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

texascat018 wrote:well It's kinda stupid question but, if you were in public place and some gun-crime hits near by (like 50 yards away), would you avoid it or defend other folks with your gun? like the McDonald case.
Whoops! I already kinda-sorta replied in the chat thread, but this topic is nuanced enough to bear going over in detail.

Okay, in the McDonald's case? If I'd seen something obvious (like a carjacking, assault of somebody who's obviously innocent, etc.), I would probably intervene. But there are a lot of situations, like gang-on-gang violence, where you just don't know what you're getting into-- and if you're going to use potentially lethal force, that's totally unacceptable. At that point, it's best to get away while still staying withing eyeshot and call 911 while you relay what's happening. If it was a situation like this: http://ohioccw.org/200508263269/wal-mar ... -life.html then I would intervene. A mass-shooting event like what happened in Aurora, Colorado? Without a doubt. Anytime I or a loved one is threatened? Without hesitation. However, there are also situations like what happened at a McDonald's in California several years back. Some worthless drain on society decided to rob the restaurant (armed), and an off-duty cop got wind of what was going on and decided to intervene, even though the hold-up man hadn't drawn his weapon or threatened the restaurant's patrons. Anyways, this cop fired on the robber as he headed out the door and the scumbag shot back before he bled out. The officer got through unscathed, but a nine-year old girl behind him caught one of the robber's errant rounds and died. That's the kind of "oops" I'd hate to have to live with for the rest of my life.

Point being, unless you or an innocent person is directly threatened or it looks like a potential gunman wants to light the place up, don't draw-- get away from the situation and call it in.

IMHO, IANAL, YMMV, etc.

My EDC kit varies depending on location/time/dress, but it generally includes:
-General-purpose 3.5" folding knife
-Smaller, sharper pen-knife
-Wallet
-Phone
-iPod Touch (my phone isn't a smartphone)
-headphones
-Watch
-Flashlight (I only break out my bigger one if I'm going somewhere at night)
-Notebook
-Pen
-Pencil
-Spare change
Sarnoff

Re: Firearms

Post by Sarnoff »

I just bought some 2 3/4" hollow point deer slugs, wonder what they will do to that pumpkin...

I saw a $30 flashlight/laser for shotguns, would that be any real use?

So short barrel and birdshot don't mix? I was kinda hoping to get the on sale 100 shell box of Winchester game loads for $23 for practice and breaking in the gun but seven yards seems terrible.

As for pistol grips I would prefer the first one if the stock folds, though I was kinda thinking about the second one since a gun shop owner said it would probably only cost $15 which makes it seem like a "can't go wrong for that price" kinda thing. I got a stock sleeve which seems pretty useful and was quite cheap. It fits around my wrist too so I might buy another one or would it be better to buy a shell belt?

I don't think I'll be needing emergency slugs, I don't trust my cutting abilities enough to try that out.
texascat018 wrote:which brand of Knife do you recommend for self defense?
I love my 4.5" spring assisted stiletto for self defense since it folds up, it flicks open by pressing on the back of a part of it near the top and is basically made for self defense. I've never had a problem with it opening in my pocket either. So my recommendation would be a stiletto for self defense reasons, doesn't cut things too well though since its made mainly for stabbing stuff.
GunRacer wrote: I'll have to make do with my knife (which my college does let me carry
Your lucky your college lets you carry knives. I live in crime ridden, crappy Greenville where it's notorious for muggings and my college doesn't let us have any real weapons on it. I think I might be able to loophole my way with an ice pick though. Anyone know where to buy an ice pick?
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

The slugs should pop any pumpkins you have quite nicely!

Depending on how it mounts up to the gun, a light and laser are wonderful things to have-- if you want to use your shotgun for home defense. Otherwise, it's just spare money spent on what ends up being a silly toy. Thirty bucks does sound a little cheap for a quality unit...

Don't take me wrong here-- everybody uses birdshot for practice. When I spat out the seven yards figure, I was talking about birdshot's ability to kill animals larger than a squirrel (e.g. foxes, coyotes, raccoons, etc.). For practice, it'll still pattern nicely and knock down steel plates past a dozen yards (generally). Go ahead and get the 100 rounds for $23; that's a good deal.

Pistol grips... if you want to blow fifteen bucks for one, sure. But it'll be a pain to put on and take off, and not do much of anything useful.

Now that you have a shell carrier, a shotshell belt isn't a bad idea... better than a bandoleer or anything you'd wear around your wrist, that's for sure.

I don't know of any place to get an ice-pick besides ordering one online.
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

Well I found a pistol grip stock that has an adjustable stock for $50, debating getting it sometime.

Well, that doesn't sound too bad anymore and I went with the 100 shell of Winchester heavy game load today, can't wait to start emptying them to my heart's content and testing out the 4 different shell types I have.

I also got a shotshell belt that holds 25 shells, it was a strain to load but seems pretty awesome. I don't see why it would be bad to keep shells on your wrist, seems quite comfortable and convenient.

"Gun Topic #Bang Bang Bang" must be preserved

Post by 0404 »

I'm your man, don't worry, I'll not.
hummmm that being said, I might take law course for grade 11, not that I want to be a lawyer but I think it will help me a lot for in case.

Sarnoff wrote:
I love my 4.5" spring assisted stiletto for self defense since it folds up, it flicks open by pressing on the back of a part of it near the top and is basically made for self defense. I've never had a problem with it opening in my pocket either. So my recommendation would be a stiletto for self defense reasons, doesn't cut things too well though since its made mainly for stabbing stuff.
unfortunately Spring assisted knives are iligal in Canada, however one handers are okay.
do you know any good onehanders?

and in your opinion would a Black Swiss army knife look nicer than Original Red swiss army knife? my Scales of swiss army knife broke and I have to replace it, I can either get Red, Black, Blue Yellow, Green, and I don't know which one to get. :roll:
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

I took Law and Justice in High School and learned a lot. They taught us how to exercise our rights, harass cops with our legal knowledge, get around the law, and better ways to talk your way out of getting busted.
Also had forensics class, definitely some useful stuff there. We learned how to take/wipe fingerprints, forge signatures, use DNA electrophoresis, examine bullet impacts, get away with murder more effectively, best poisons, how to examine/tamper with evidence, how to tell how decomposed a body is and when the person died, most effective way to shoot yourself, and how to better throw people off your tracks. Yes... pretty interesting/strange stuff there, not sure why High School is teaching these kind of things but I liked the class.

Spring assisted knives are illegal? They seem to be like switchblades "legaler" cousin here. Well they do sell normal stilettos, but the spring definitely helps. What would be considered a one hander?

If this is what you mean do you want a fixed blade or a folding blade? For folding I would recommend a butterfly knife, they are a lot of fun to play with and do tricks with. I have one with around a 5.5" blade, definitely intimidating looking and overall not something you would want to be on the wrong end of, opens in less than a second if you know what your doing. If you're looking for a fixed blade knife I love my M7 combat bayonet, "If was good enough for the US Army, it's good enough for me" I say. The blade is around 6" and it can attach to an M-16 if that's really any use. Nothing says self defense quite like a combat knife and it fits well on your hip or in your boot and attaches to a pistol belt.
If your looking for something more unique a straight razor can cut things pretty well, they flick open quite easily and can fit in your sock or pocket quite well. All 3 only require one hand to use.

As for Swiss Army knives I would say either red or black would look good and you can't go wrong with those colors, but they are my favorite colors so I'm kind of biased.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

TC018:
I've been quite happy with my little Gerber Paraframe, which is pretty inexpensive and isn't assisted-opening (although mine is broken in enough that I can open it with a quick flick of the wrist). Red is a classic color for your Swiss Army knives, but there's no reason not to do something different either. Your knife, your money, your call.

And hey, be sure to know all of your national, provincial, and municipal regulations on toting sharp pointy things around with you.

Sarnoff:
Interesting. I kind of figured the title of "Law and Justice" would indicate something other than how to get around, well, law and justice. But then again, the information won't do any harm if it's in the hands of good people... great power, great responsibility and all that. Regarding knives and stuff, I know most states bar the carrying of butterfly knives (which are totally impractical anyways) so Canada is doubtless even more restrictive. Fixed-blades are generally illegal to carry across most of the US, and again, something tells me Canada would be as strict or stricter. Heck, a lot of states even call out boot knives by name as being illegal. Even if SC's okay with that, be sure to keep that in mind if/when you travel to other states.

Also, to bring this conversation back around to its original topic, behold the impractical glory that is the Ka-Bar pistol bayonet, attached to a superb service pistol, the Sig Sauer P226:

This is why you want expensive, quality ammo for anything other than putting holes in paper:
Sarnoff

Re: Firearm/Survival Topic# Six shots or only Five?

Post by Sarnoff »

Those rights and stuff are really useful to know. Remember the phrases "Am I being detained" and "Am I free to go now?" and if you are arrested you really should exercise your right to silence until your lawyer gets there. Also you need to be careful what you say when the police are asking to search you or your car or property since they have some "implied consent" thing they can apparently do. We learned a lot of boring lawyer terms but mainly how to exercise our rights as effectively as possible and not fall for police tricks or lies.

Why are butterfly knives illegal to carry most places? Its a knife, albeit a dangerous looking one, but not much more. Also I don't see the impracticality, it opens not too much slower than my spring assisted or my switchblade, and cuts things pretty well.

I've seen plenty of rednecks carrying fixed blade knives, police don't really seem to care in my state though you might have to carry it openly, not sure. I have no idea about SC laws but I don't really take my fun knives when I travel, just my lil utility switchblade or a conventional pocket knife.

So, is there much use to a pistol bayonet, seems kind of unwieldy and like it would be much easier just to shoot the person at that range.

What kind of expensive quality shotgun shells would you recommend? All I have is Remington and Winchester shells.

Post by 0404 »

Canadian Law says these are illegal wrote:automatic knives such as switchblades
centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
gravity knives;
Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife)
finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
push daggers;
spiked wristbands;

but no restrictions about size of the blade. however must be concealed

@Sarnoff
well convenience wise I prefer Folding but fast deployable ones, I mean not that Fixed blades aren't good but since knife is my part of EDC I really want it to be compact. M7 looks really sturdy, if I can get one I would definitely get one. by the way butterfly knives are illegal here :(I looks really cool though SPY!!!
This is why you want expensive, quality ammo for anything other than putting holes in paper:
I'll keep that in my mind

@GunRacer hummm inexpensive, sturdy, looks nice. that's what I'm getting for Boxing day, If I can get my money back from Mr. online-transaction error. I think I should be able to find some provincial Law book in local library.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

That's why I like my Tokarev. I got 1000 rounds of Romanian surplus service ammunition for $100. It is really corrosive, so even with a chrome-lined barrel, it requires some vigorous cleaning (not that you should not clean it after every use even with high quality ammunition).

But I have put about 150 rounds through it so far and it has never failed to fire a single one.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

RBH:
Ah. The surplus ammo seems to have mostly dried up, though, and that's my problem... well, okay, that and the fact that I just spent much more than I should have on a crapload of rifle and pistol mags to insure against the "assault weapons" ban that's probably forthcoming.

TC018:
Yeah, I figured. Get a good knife and keep it concealed! Remember, compact is only good to a point-- then the thing starts getting too small to be usable.

Sarnoff:
About the knife ban thing... such legislation is basically based on emotion, and therefore lacks any logical justification-- butterfly/switchblade/ballistic knives are "scary" and have therefore been made illegal, plain and simple. Butterfly knives are impractical because they require far more practice than lockblade or AO folders to open quickly and safely.

Pistol bayonets are utterly useless except as a quick-detach mount to hold one's knife while opening a door or some other such thing (and a sheath would be more practical in that case, as it'd free up space for a light/laser on the gun), but they sure are cool.

For a pump-action shotgun, those shells are all the quality you need. The "Lester's Ammo" poster was just something funny I wanted to post up...
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

Well, I found out how much I love my shotgun on Friday by taking it out on our first real shooting experience with it at my friend's farm. First we tried skeet shooting ceramic plates with buckshot which, didn't go too well, I'm still not sure if it was the barrel length or wrong load for skeet that made it so difficult. Then I moved onto seeing how the gun fires with one hand, fun but really useless. Then we put a plate up in the tree and shot it with the heavy game loads, it disintegrated. After that I hip fired the 5 remaining shells out as fast as possible and found out how hard it is to aim at the hip. Finally we had a 4 liter of knockoff coke we shook up and shot with a hollow point deer slug, it turned into a shredded wrapper, left a crater of dead grass on the ground, and that crater smoked for like 5 minutes. All in all a fun time, found out a sight would be nice and a pistol grip would probably be more comfortable.

Well, that legislation sounds pretty boring, though I guess I can kind of understand the ballistic knife part. I wouldn't really consider my 1.5" switchblade to be remotely "scary" in my opinion. I consider butterfly knives to be more convenient to open than traditional opening knives, I guess I'm too used to spring loaded knives now maybe.

I hope that assault weapons ban doesn't come, I really would like to be able to purchase an AK within less than a year.

When shopping for shells, I saw some shot that shoots at 1600fps. Is there any real difference? All of my shells seem to shoot at 1210fps, besides the slugs.

@Texascat
I also have a butterfly comb, maybe those are legal around you, and would go well with a "Ze Spy" outfit and makes for a really nice/cool comb.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Glad to hear you like your shotgun! A sight is a good thing, for sure; you oughta be able to bolt some Picatinny rail on the top of the receiver (it should already be drilled and tapped for that) and mount a low-profile red dot optic.

And thankfully, it looks like an AWB (at least the version currently being proposed) will have a hard time passing. Call me... cautiously optimistic on this point, although I'm still frantically trying to scrape together enough cash to pick up an effective defensive carbine before Congress reconvenes. I'd advise you do the same, just to play it safe.

Those 1600 FPS shells, if they're launching the same amount of shot as the 1210 FPS shells you have now, will kick harder. They'll also have slightly longer range and won't require you to "lead" your target so much-- but that's all academic if you've got a short-barreled, un-choked shotgun (and I assume we're talking about birdshot here).

Post by 0404 »

It's better to prepare/prevent than fixing it later.
Do you guys have your own Bug out bag, survival kit, or any thing like that?
I've talked about this before somewhere else in this forum but I'm bring this topic up again because I do care of y'all's well being. so let's share what we have in our bug out kit and show it for someone who is near possible hazard, so that they can go make themselves one.

Since I do live around where Flooding is common, I can see a river which is 20 yards away from my parent's bedroom, I oughta get my self prepared.
this is my Bag of survival kit, all of these goes in to a small bag.

knives
medkit,Pain pills
Duct tape
box of matches, lighter
Fishing kit
candles
Aluminum foil
sewing kit
plastic bags
AA batteries
water proof Flash light
Salt container
Chocolates, Dry foods
water filter
Canadian $5 and American $5
etc...
and my kitty
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

So in the event of a disaster, do you eat the cat or burn it as fuel?
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil

Post by 0404 »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:So in the event of a disaster, do you eat the cat or burn it as fuel?
you take that back, I would rather burn myself than my cat :evil:

I know that it's a joke :P
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

I'd recommend a better lighter if you want to burn anything. That kind is prone to breaking and becoming weaker than it should be. Get a Zippo or Bic. Zippos usually seem water proof so that should help in a flood, you just have to keep it full of lighter fluid.

Also, that is such a cute cat!
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

texascat018 wrote:It's better to prepare/prevent than fixing it later.
Do you guys have your own Bug out bag, survival kit, or any thing like that?
I've talked about this before somewhere else in this forum but I'm bring this topic up again because I do care of y'all's well being. so let's share what we have in our bug out kit and show it for someone who is near possible hazard, so that they can go make themselves one.

knives
medkit,Pain pills
Duct tape
box of matches, lighter
Fishing kit
candles
Aluminum foil
sewing kit
plastic bags
AA batteries
water proof Flash light
Salt container
Chocolates, Dry foods
water filter
Canadian $5 and American $5
etc...
and my kitty
I'd add a toothbrush, toothpaste, washcloth, towel, sunblock, 12-hour sudofed capsule decongestants, butane minitorch, 100 feet of M550 paracord, and a 2M/440Mhz dual band amateur radio handheld tranciever to the kit, if I were you. Oh, and either a bag of cat litter or a nice little shovel.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Deathwatch

Post by Deathwatch »

Sarnoff wrote:I'd recommend a better lighter if you want to burn anything. That kind is prone to breaking and becoming weaker than it should be. Get a Zippo or Bic. Zippos usually seem water proof so that should help in a flood, you just have to keep it full of lighter fluid.
A lighter in itself isn't the best tool for lighting things, you should always have some flint and a striker as a backup, those were imperative in many of my field exercises, especially in damp conditions, which are very common in Scotland.

Getting a hexi stove, some extra blocks and a couple of mess tins for cooking food in is also good as it can be placed almost anywhere.
ImageCCCP

D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

For EDC:
-Leatherman WAVE multi-tool
-SERE belt
-cell phone
-cash clip/ID cards ect.
-Casio G-shock watch
-car/house keys
-Zippo lighter
-Spyderco Endura4

This extends to a first a first-aid kit, shockproof/waterproof flashlight, and snacks if out for long walks, hiking, or extended trips out of the house.
Please heed my word on this, having been forced to do extensive reading on legality, thanks to Cali’s overtly hoplophobic politicians. Allow me to use my state’s extensive and intricate laws as an example to help advise on this.

Stay away from spring-assisted, gravity-assisted, automatic, or balisong blades.

Where I live, these knives are illegal to carry anywhere outside your home [California penal code 653k.] unless they have a blade length under 2 inches. In addition to this, any “dirk or dagger” (any fixed object of ready use as a stabbing weapon) cannot be lawfully carried in a concealed fashion. [California Penal code. 12020]

The quirk to that particular rule is that pens and may technically be illegal to concealed carry. But I digress.

There are more than enough places out there aside from CA that have taken the time out to put special restrictions on these types on knives. Practically speaking, it’s not doing to do you much good if you end up in the situation where you’re forced to draw your weapon in self-defense, only to be relentlessly prosecuted in the aftermath because the tool you used wasn’t within the legal parameters of wherever the incident took place. I would advise saying away from those types of knives completely, it’ll help you evade the plethora of nonsensical legality issues they tend to get stuck with.

I personally use a knife with a ‘wave’ feature, such as the Spyderco Endura. The feature is available on a select few brands of pocket knives, but it fills the need for a self defense and utility knife perfectly. It can actually be drawn even faster than a switchblade, and uses no springs (more simplistic/less moving parts to worry about).

Here’s some than could be considered.

-Spyderco Endura4/Delica4
-Fox Karambit (especially if your into Escrima)
-Emerson series
-Cold Steel AK-47

Hope this helps anyone.
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser