Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
tv shows 
Moshpit Addict

Post Re: tv shows
Ok my roommate and I are currently obsessed with the goosebumps Television series so if anyone has a favorite episode they reccomend lemme know we've been jumping around since it doesn't really need to be watched in order.

(also star trek is very good omg guys why was I not told about this?)

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 am

Seth Wrote:

Check out DS9, easily the best show of the bunch.

Wanderer Wrote:
You don't need a job, you need money.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:48 am
Moshpit Addict

Liam Wrote:
Seth Wrote:

Check out DS9, easily the best show of the bunch.

my roommate is watching it all in order we'll get there at some point

Trash boiz

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 am
Game Master

Location: inside a TARDIS that landed inside itself. Anyone know how to restart a stalled one of these?
With or without TAS?

Characters

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:14 am
Moshpit Addict

That's a great question he's the one more committed to it I just catch random episodes.
I think he's gonna watch it though.

Trash boiz

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 am

Late as I usually am to these things, I got into O.K. KO yesterday. It's pretty rad!

Wanderer Wrote:

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Waitin' on "Better Call Saul".

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:31 pm

Saw the first two episodes of Stranger Things.

Weird, I found it really intriguing, but still haven't brought myself to watch more. I mean, it's pretty good so far.

Icon made by Naro Rivers.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 pm
Profile WWW

I've come around to watching the first three eps of Star Trek Discovery and... I'm really liking it so far!

Sure, for all I know the show could become terrible over the rest of the season, but from what I watched they breathed new life into a franchise that suffered under creative exhaustion. They're doing new things! Great!

I can see the criticisms. It's dark (but not much darker as past Trek at its darkest) but I think that's just to underscore the message of maintaining Star Fleet's principles in a crisis. And yeah, it would've been a better fit if they had set it in the post-VOY era. That's studio meddling, I guess.

Wanderer Wrote:

Wed May 09, 2018 3:16 am
Game Master

Location: inside a TARDIS that landed inside itself. Anyone know how to restart a stalled one of these?
half of what i dislike about it boils down to sloppy writing on par with early TOS era, which, after TNG and DS9 there is no excuse for any longer, combined with "modern" (read; needlessly rushed) pacing. This is not a blockbuster movie, it's a tv series. it can afford to take it's time. plot threads, even major ones, are allowed to take multiple episodes, or if need be multiple seasons, as long as the pacing doesn't burn out the audience. or heck, you could pull what DS9 did and INTENTIONALLY drag a plotline out to the point of burning out your audience, and then show the cast being just as worn down by those same events, to make the situation relatable and more engaging. point is, fast and sloppy is a bad combination. It's what killed Enterprise and it's going to kill discovery, in the same way and for the same reasons, if they can't get their act together in the second season.

Liam Wrote:
I think that's just to underscore the message of maintaining Star Fleet's principles in a crisis.
that was the plot driver behind the dominion war during DS9 though. so they're basically rehashing something they've already done, and done better. and it's not just that that's been done before, but reusing that specific plot element of the series, had been done before. if enterprise couldn't get away with that (Xindi conflict), why would discovery?

my last big gripe would be the effects. They're trying too hard. Keep it simple, stupid. again going back to TNG and DS9, (because that's the series best years. TOS hasn't aged well, the movies have always been a mixed bag, and screw voyager with a tire iron, enterprise might have been bland but at least it wasn't a flying reset button.) but the effects there worked SO much better. Why? because they were, comparatively, subtle. Admittedly it was because CG was new and unreliable back then, and practical effects were hard to set up on a TV budget, forcing a lot of improvisation and clever use of stock footage, but accident or not it worked. this doesn't. It's Hollywood levels of cartoonishly excessive effects, and just feels over the top.

the ship design and continuity adherence also can't make up their mind if they're Classic Startrek or Abramstrek and wind up looking like some odd third variant, but that's a minor nitpick, and would have been forgivable, if it weren't for those first three points.

Characters

Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8