Common National Stereotypes

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Liam

Re: Common National Stereotypes

Post by Liam »

Wanderer wrote:I think the 2010 world cup kind of helped clear the negative stereotype of all Africans living in the jungle with mud houses but every once in a while someone would bring this up. I guess this doesn't really apply to only South Africa but some others as well.
Especially when you consider the stable economic growth of such nations as Nigeria and Uganda that bring them to the brink of taking the step from developing into developed country and thus first world. A truly awesome development.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.

Post by 0404 »

I do want to know about Japan.
I belive their life ain't like any of their TV show or anime. Just like our life isn't even close to life in Hollywood. or could be...
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

texascat018 wrote:I do want to know about Japan.
I belive their life ain't like any of their TV show or anime. Just like our life isn't even close to life in Hollywood. or could be...
Yeah, I bet Tokyo Tower hasn't been destroyed even half as much as it has been in anime.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

Berlusconi.
Nuff said.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Brazil's stereotypes:
1)There are only naked indians here
2)people think we don't have car, buildings, malls, cinemas, or any form of modern technology
3)that girls here are .....
4)that we only have crime, violence and is the perfect place for criminals to hide.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Sleet wrote:Is it true racism is rampant in South Africa?
Well racism still exists in South Africa, but it is not as strong anymore. Since the end of apartheid, people are certainly less racist but the common racist Boers still exist. I didn't experience any first hand racism in South Africa, but I've seen fights break out sometimes. Racism is looked down upon and regulated there though, so it's really not that bad.

Rugby is like the equivalent of American football in South Africa. Cricket is like the baseball in South Africa lol (I hate both sports tbh)
There are also lots of fat people. Almost comparable to the USA! Actually there might be even more fat people in South Africa than the USA...
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

angelusbr wrote:Brazil's stereotypes:
2)people think we don't have car, buildings, malls, cinemas, or any form of modern technology
4)that we only have crime, violence and is the perfect place for criminals to hide.
Also, everyone loves to dance, there are trees EVERYWHERE and there's a giant Jesus on top of a hill.

Although that last one is more fact than stereotype...

And you can pretty much thank Weebl for most of Brazil's stereotypes.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

angelusbr wrote:Brazil's stereotypes:
I have always think about Brazil as one of the most advanced latin american countries....what would be México then?
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
mccartneytm

Post by mccartneytm »

As an 11 year Resident of Arizona, I can answer pretty much all your questions about it.
But lets get some done now, shall we?
"Is it over 90 degrees all year long?" - No, in the winter, phoenix weather usually is 40-50 degrees (fahrenheit), sometimes it even goes down into the 30's. Most other places in Arizona actually get cooler.
"It never snows in Arizona." - You obviously have never been to the Grand Canyon in below zero weather, or Flagstaff for that matter. It does snow in a lot of the state
"Everyone either has a cowboy accent or is from Mexico." - Nope, we have people from all over the world in this state. True, there are a lot of Mexican immigrants, but there are a lot of people from all over the US living here (kinda like California.), and there are a ton of Canadians in Phoenix. Very few people out here have cowboy accents, most people sound like everybody else west of Texas.

so...
I'm not really good at thinking up stereotypes for Arizonians, (wierd huh?) so if you have any more I can answer them for you.
When Life gives you Lemons, Eat them raw.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Actually now that I think about it, I was in a pretty prosperous area so there was much less racism there compared to most of the country.

Stereotypes of Korea:
Everyone there is very smart (not really true, lots of idiots). We go to school then play Starcraft for the rest of the day (lol!). The people there are racist and xenophobic (True unfortunately). Almost everyone there has plastic surgery (not really). North Koreans and South Koreans look and speak different languages (They're only different dialects, not a completely new language)
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Hey guys, you know how I'm in Alabama, right?

These two things are true:
1. There are churches *everywhere*
2. Everyone is obsessed with football.

I'm very tempted to put a "weeks since sermon has NOT included a sports analogy" count on the wall but I'd probably never get to reset it.

This is also true: They put butter and/or sugar in everything, even things that don't need butter or sugar.

This is not true: That they are xenophobic. People tend to think this of southerners simply because southerners disagree with them on x number of things. I'm fairly certain it's more because they're much more locally-focused than other regions. (Question at the stand-up show I went to the other night, who here is following the national election? Dead room (before people cracked up at the reaction he got). Nobody is following the national election because it's too "out there" and everyone was already decided by the primaries.) I've never met anyone who was actually inhospitable toward a yankee or west coaster even if there is an attitude of "they have the wrong opinions".

This is true: Confederate flag still flown. But it's not because people are trying to salute an enemy power; Southerners are very much into the whole God Bless America thing if you haven't noticed. I noted a big confederate flag being flown by the highway when I was driving back from Florida--because it was for the Sons of Confederate Soldiers. It's much easier to tell people to ignore history when you're not actually a part of it, and given how local these people are, they're still a part of it.

(Those people who say the south with rise again are just making jabs at above yankee opinions they disagree with, less suggesting they'd actually start an armed conflict over it.)
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

rickgriffin wrote:Hey guys, you know how I'm in Alabama, right?
Alabama, you say...? Fascinating... *furiously scribbles in his notepad*
rickgriffin wrote:I'm very tempted to put a "weeks since sermon has NOT included a sports analogy" count on the wall but I'd probably never get to reset it.
Don't let that stop you! I think it'd be great!
rickgriffin wrote:This is also true: They put butter and/or sugar in everything, even things that don't need butter or sugar.
We do that, too, but that's because there is nothing that cannot be improved by the addition of butter and/or sugar and/or deep-frying.
That Same Guy wrote:(Those people who say the south with rise again are just making jabs at above yankee opinions they disagree with, less suggesting they'd actually start an armed conflict over it.)
I tend to only see this used in jest or as you said. I really don't get those who believe secession is even still a thing. I'm sure there are a handful of kooks in every state, but there cannot possibly be enough that any armed conflict would meet with even local success. The majority opinion certainly is not that the Confederate States of America are coming back.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Dissension wrote: I tend to only see this used in jest or as you said. I really don't get those who believe secession is even still a thing. I'm sure there are a handful of kooks in every state, but there cannot possibly be enough that any armed conflict would meet with even local success. The majority opinion certainly is not that the Confederate States of America are coming back.
I could only ever see one possibility for it, and that's if they're threatened with the removal of local autonomy. I can imagine a lot of people would insist they're being occupied by an enemy if that ever happened. Given that a lot of states feel the same way (including California, believe it or not) it's doubtful that it would happen like so.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

If they take away my butter, sugar, and fryer oil, I'll start the revolution personally.

Liam

Post by Liam »

Don't forget that almost everybody there beats his wife and goes bowling.

I have never been to Alabama, but they said so on Southpark, so it must be true.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Liam wrote:Don't forget that almost everybody there beats his wife and goes bowling.

I have never been to Alabama, but they said so on Southpark, so it must be true.
♪ALABAMA MAN!♪
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I know that the Southern diet can be very unhealthy, but most of those kinds of foods are either for special occasions or are for breakfast when you need the extra calories to get you through the day.

If you want to talk about food that is really hearty, then look at what French Canadians eat. I apologize, but Poutine is just ghastly.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I looked that up. I think I need to go vomit.

(Though I'll admit, Southern-fried goodness is yum~)
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Post by 0404 »

Sleet wrote:♪ALABAMA MAN!♪
Sweet home Alabama♪ where the skies are so blue
Last edited by 0404 on Wed May 09, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sleet wrote:I looked that up. I think I need to go vomit.

(Though I'll admit, Southern-fried goodness is yum~)
Agreed. ^

(Though it might taste good, that stuff is seriously terrible for ya if you don't work it off. Eugh. >.<)
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

I thought it look tasty..... thats bad?
:oops:
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

legendario13 wrote:I thought it look tasty..... thats bad?
:oops:
I just looked it up, and it looks like something that I would try.
(This coming from a semi-picky eater)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

?o Ao

Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
McFly

Post by McFly »

Egad...
:shock:

Post by 0404 »

that would be my pleasure. I love cheese products, cheese sandvich, cheese bacon, cheese bbq, cheese sushi...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Deep-fried Twinkies anyone?

God bless America. :P

For the record the idea of that sounds disgusting to me. I have never tried one and never plan to.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

That looks disgusting. Sorry, but it does.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Sleet wrote:Deep-fried Twinkies anyone?
Those really exist? :shock:
Liam

Post by Liam »

"I take the myocardial infarction menu, please."
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

legendario13 wrote:
Unfortunately they do. I don't believe they're very common, but they're pretty much the symbol of caloric excess. :lol:
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

I only can imagine...
Liam wrote:"I take the myocardial infarction menu, please."
"for two dollars more we can make it a Massive heart attack"
"it comes with the cardiac arrest twinkie"
Liam

Post by Liam »

legendario13 wrote:
Liam wrote:"I take the myocardial infarction menu, please."
"for two dollars more we can make it a Massive heart attack"
"it comes with the cardiac arrest twinkie"
"Do you want a normal Coke, Coke Zero or Coke Mellitus to that? The last one has the ice cubes swapped with pure sucrose crystals."
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I want some Coke Mellitus now. *drools*
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sleet wrote:
legendario13 wrote:
Unfortunately they do. I don't believe they're very common, but they're pretty much the symbol of caloric excess. :lol:
Locally, deep-fried Snickers bars are preferred to deep-fried Twinkies. I'm pretty sure the latter isn't exactly uncommon, though.

legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Thats a lot of flour...
What was my blood glucose levels again.....110! :shock:
lightnings! :?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You can deep fry anything you want really. People do it all the time, heck on Youtube a channel called Cult Moo has a show called Deep Fried What? where they deep fry any food the fans ask them too.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Sleet wrote:I want some Coke Mellitus now. *drools*
Then I recommend ordering an insulin shake, too.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

IceKitsune wrote:You can deep fry anything you want really. People do it all the time, heck on Youtube a channel called Cult Moo has a show called Deep Fried What? where they deep fry any food the fans ask them too.
there's a restaurant somewhere in the U.S. where you can bring in anything and they'll fry it for you.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Liam

Post by Liam »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:You can deep fry anything you want really. People do it all the time, heck on Youtube a channel called Cult Moo has a show called Deep Fried What? where they deep fry any food the fans ask them too.
there's a restaurant somewhere in the U.S. where you can bring in anything and they'll fry it for you.
Some say looking at the pictures alone will clog your arteries.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

You want a breakfast that's sure to kill you? How about some Caramel Cinnamon Swirl French Toast? A whole cinnamon bun, deep-fried, slathered in cream cheese, stuffed with maple syrup ice cream and doused in caramel. A day's worth of calories, almost half of which comes purely from sugar, 57g of fat and half a day's sodium.

Thanks America!!! :thumbs up:
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book