Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Common National Stereotypes 

Post Re: Common National Stereotypes
Karlos wrote:
Hey Miles, since you brought that up, would you mind if I ask you a similar question? :)

Is it true that a lot of Scots want to separate from UK to become independent?

I believe there's going to be a vote on it sometime in 2014 but i'm not sure. I personally don't know anything about politics and when I try to learn it all just goes over my head.

MilesKingford wrote:
Many do but the majority are still undecided. A certain political element keeps trying to force the issue but without the support of the majority they have no chance to succeed. Many are nervous over the idea of independence because this has not happened for hundreds of years, Scotland has no experience or modern history to know how to run their own country, and they lack the land and sophisticated economy to build a thriving nation. Even if the Scottish people actually wanted independence, it would simply be impractical.

Why do you think that is?

I don't know too many Scottish stereotypes other than kilts and red hair but i've noticed a few people start their sentences by exclaiming "Awch"

One thing i can tell you is that the quality of Scottish television has become poor recently and misrepresents us all. It's ironic that Brave, an animation that shows you scotlands jaw dropping landscape and whimsical legends was written by Americans. If it was written by anyone British it'd be set in modern Glasgow (probably Govan) Merida would be a hooded reprobate who's made fun off for her ginger hair and her three brothers would probably be her sons

I hope no one comes down too hard on me for what i've written. I don't really know for sure what Scotland's letting on the air

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:37 pm

DanTwelve3 wrote:
On this topic... is it true that you Canadians have amassed on the border to invade and finish what was started in the War of 1812?

Not that i'm aware of. I don't have any knowledge of our military =P

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:17 pm

GameCobra wrote:
DanTwelve3 wrote:
On this topic... is it true that you Canadians have amassed on the border to invade and finish what was started in the War of 1812?

Not that i'm aware of. I don't have any knowledge of our military =P

continuing on with the Canadian stereotypes, i was under the impression that Canada dissolved the majority of it's armed forces in the '50s due to a movement by the government to be "peacekeepers". does anyone know how much truth there is to this?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:09 am
Totally Not Rick

A Web search could probably provide a fairly accurate answer. = P Canada does have a relatively large, well-trained military; all its branches are integrated into one unified department.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:35 am
Profile WWW

Yes, Canadian armed forces' exsistence is mainly for peace and national defense. That's what I learned in social study class...
I don't know US has this or not.. Canada has something called Cadets through out all provinces, it's kind a military after school and age 12 to 19 can join if they want, they get to train how to shoot, drill, fly a plane, survive, military ethics etc. All the members get free uniform and free education, free everything, as example Members of air cadet get to learn how to fly a plane And get pilot license for FREE!. I'm going out to airport to fly a glider this sunday.
All the finacial support comes from Canadian armed force, I think Canadian Armed forces are focusing on to education stuffs than other bangy bang bang stuff.
Meow. I could be wrongz
edit:not then it's than oh dummy mez

Last edited bytexascat018 on empty void of time

Last edited by texascat018 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 am

texascat018 wrote:
Yes, Canadian armed forces' exsistence is mainly for peace and national defense. That's what I learned in social study class...
I don't know US have this or not.. Canada has something called Cadets through out all provinces, it's kind a military after school and age 12 to 19 can join if they want, they get to train how to shoot, drill, fly a plane, survive, military ethics etc. All the memebers get free uniform and free education, free everything, as example Members of air cadet get to learn how to fly a plane And get pilot lisence for FREE!. I'm going out to airport to fly a glider this sunday.
All the finacial support comes from Canadian armed force, I think Canadian Armed forces are focusing on to education stuffs then other bangy bang bang stuff.
Meow. I could be wrongz

We do have that in the US, but they call it boot camp and i never want to ever go to one for the rest of time.
And i did learn that thing about the Canadian armed forces on the internet but getting it straight from an actual Canadian is always better.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:05 am
Those military programmes are not as altruistic as they make them out to be. The sole purpose of those programmes is to get young people enthusiastic about military life so that they become soldiers, and soldiers have to give their very lives to the state as well as take the lives of the state's enemies. Some people are completely fine living that kind of life but I find it all very chilling.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:14 pm

MilesKingford wrote:
Those military programmes are not as altruistic as they make them out to be. The sole purpose of those programmes is to get young people enthusiastic about military life so that they become soldiers, and soldiers have to give their very lives to the state as well as take the lives of the state's enemies. Some people are completely fine living that kind of life but I find it all very chilling.

it is much worse in the US then in the UK dude, trust me.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:49 pm
Arjay wrote:
MilesKingford wrote:

it is much worse in the US then in the UK dude, trust me.

That is the general consensus, isn't it?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:12 pm

well, that and the fact that everybody who goes to military school here comes back... changed :(

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:12 pm
Totally Not Rick

Let's not make potentially inflammatory comments. :3

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:38 pm
Profile WWW

Lately, people have actually been getting mad at me for using terms like "ma'am" and "sir". I'm just trying to be polite! I didn't realize that people from outside the South find these terms so alien. Most of them are tourists and students.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Lately, people have actually been getting mad at me for using terms like "ma'am" and "sir". I'm just trying to be polite! I didn't realize that people from outside the South find these terms so alien. Most of them are tourists and students.

I think they think you're calling them old by saying that. Also, I've never been to the southeast, I wasn't sure that people there actually said "ma'am" and "sir".

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:56 am
Totally Not Rick

Do people in other places not use honorifics? = P I live in Arkansas and have always used them.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Bringing Foxy Back

They use them here but not that often.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:13 am
Profile WWW

I've never really heard sir or ma'am used where I am. That's not to say it isn't used, but I've never heard it.

JeffCvt is a copyright of jeffcvt inc. and not to be reproduced without the express written consent of CBS and jeff cvt.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 am

When I lived in Texas we used Sir and Ma'am all the time, but when I moved to Illinois, I saw that they use it less often. However since I still haven't gotten out of the habit of using it, most people think I am extremely polite rather than rude.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:38 am

I don't know since when but... I often use word 'Mate' like how Australians use it.
"Excuse me mate, can you help me for second?"
tho I only use it to someone around my age and I sometimes use Sir and Ma'am

Last edited bytexascat018 on empty void of time

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:46 pm

The titles of "sir" and "ma'am" are respectful titles; some people just start running their mouth because it "makes them feel old." Some people just don't know how to take a compliment, so don't worry about them too much.

Here in NC, "sir" and "ma'am" are heard, but they are not heard as commonly as in the deep south. I dated a guy from Mississippi/Alabama and everything out of his mouth is "yes sir/no sir/yes ma'am/ no ma'am."
All I can say is that my parents loved him. :P

Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:48 pm
Puppy Wrangler

I was born and raised in Florida, on the Old Code Southern manners. You have ti use Ma'am and Sir, and never a first name unless you know them well... I find the modern world very confusing at times... :|

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:31 pm
Totally Not Rick

*giggles* I was raised pretty much the same way by Mom and Granny. = P Granny was born in 1926, Mom came along in '55. Since I was very young, I've held doors open for people and addressed them "correctly."

My emotional detachment is my own thing and not indicative of a larger regional or national theme. ;3

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Moshpit Addict

I'm pretty sure that's a primarily southern thing at this point, the only person I know who uses those terms is a friend of mine orignally from a flroida military family. Most "normal" people in my neck of the woods (in both rural and urban areas) don't use them as much because they're seen as antiquated and/or a "southern thing". Then again me and my friends are pretty much delinquents, and burnouts so maybe we just weren't raised well enough :P but I just find them kind of silly.

Amateur auteur, Part time genius, executive goon, and a snappy dresser.

Only kind of a jerk.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:32 pm

copper wrote:
I find the modern world very confusing at times... :|

Indubitably, good sir! Seriously though, I was always brought up to be polite and my friends often say I'm from the 1920s. Most people here in Australia aren't so "strict" when referring to others, although they aren't rude (in fact, most people's form of being polite is acting as if they're friends which is sometimes better). Sir and Ma'am aren't used much at all but since working in retail I often use them and so far no-one has seemed offended! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6