The '10s

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Anthroguy101

The '10s

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Since I am only 19 years old, I never really got think about a decade in retrospect while it was happening. During the '90s and the '00s I never really thought about what made those decades stand out, what was the latest "fad" at the time or how what I was doing at the time would be considered part of that decade.

As we go into the '10s, I can't help but wonder what makes this decade any different from the last. We came into it in a period where the economy is still trying to heal; where we are cast miles away from the levels of certainty we had as recently as 2007.

On a more positive note, one thing that comes to mind is that MLP:FiM will probably be considered a "10s cartoon" and perhaps even a turning point in the industry. Another thing that comes to mind is that the furry fandom isn't nearly as taboo as it was just 4 years ago. Also, where would we be without our smartphones? What was just a shiny toy is now something everyone has to have. Other than that, this decade appears to be almost exactly the same as the one before. Then again, people were probably thinking the exact same thing 12 and 22 years ago.

What do you guys think? What makes this decade different from the ones that came before it?
Last edited by Anthroguy101 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The '10s

Post by 0404 »

I'm too young to answer this question, I only lived decade and a half.
I'm just a youngster,
how does it feels like to be 19?
Last edited by 0404 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

We have Adele, The Black Key, and Lupe Fiasco making music, so we have a chance of seeing music stop being stupid and annoying pop.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:We have Adele, The Black Key, and Lupe Fiasco making music, so we have a chance of seeing music stop being stupid and annoying pop.
Unfortunately we've been having more stupid and annoying pop and "in da club"-style music charting than ever before.

Also radio commercials are now taking unfunny to a new and painful extreme.
Last edited by Anthroguy101 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liam

Post by Liam »

This decade will see some major changes. Change of society, technology, politics, whathaveyou. Most of it will only be clearly visible in retrospect, though.

Let's see, privatization of space is going strong. There's the first commercial spaceport and for the first time a private company in form of SpaceX delivered the ISS.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
The Grey Wolverine

Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:I'm sorry, I have to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myEOJaNMQZo
You ... you really didn't. =P

Anyway! I think the decade will be remembered more for its advances in communications technology than anything. Between our phones, the internet, etc, people have more ways to communicate with each other than at any point in history (though whether the quality of said communication is on the decrease is up for debate). Also, as Liam pointed out, we've reached a milestone in space travel - for the first time in history, a non-government organization is going into space. That, I think, will have a major impact further down the road.

Especially because SpaceX wants to go to Mars.

Post by 0404 »

Coatl_Ruu wrote: Anyway! I think the decade will be remembered more for its advances in communications technology than anything. Between our phones, the internet, etc, people have more ways to communicate with each other than at any point in history (though whether the quality of said communication is on the decrease is up for debate).
I used to have a Portable CD player when I was young. after 5 Years *boom* there Is a Ipod touch.

since my dad was a computer guy I used to carry around Floppy disk, now I carry around external 320G USB HDD.

I used to watch shows on VCR, now It's all youtube
Last edited by 0404 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

We were at the brink of four things i find: Cartoons, Video Games, Horror and Music.

Cartoons for it's useful themes and persuasive thinking of the young mind!

Video Games for supporting that feeling and making it hard for us to overcome odds at times, but feel successful while doing so!

Horror for teaching us the things to be scared about and what most of us consider fun about being scared!

Music for making us wish we could dance to give the feeling of excitement!

I actually wish i never knew the internet, but then again, i wouldn't know about Housepets! without it, but i had to maintain a living on it since that's where the true competition is :)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Liam

Post by Liam »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:Anyway! I think the decade will be remembered more for its advances in communications technology than anything. Between our phones, the internet, etc, people have more ways to communicate with each other than at any point in history (though whether the quality of said communication is on the decrease is up for debate).
IT tech will further revolutionize everyday life, for sure.

With Google Glass and similar projects underway we may very well be headed for a future looking like Denno Coil or Rainbows End.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think the '10s will look just like the '00s until the '20s. Then we'll realize how weird they were.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Grey Wolverine

Coatl_Ruu wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:I'm sorry, I have to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myEOJaNMQZo
You ... you really didn't. =P
I am me, I had to
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

I expect we'll also see lots of changes in transportation and energy as well. Electric cars are actually being sold and an infrastructure is actually being built in most major cities for them. Wind and solar is getting much more attention than ever before.

More movies will probably be successful for good story and dialogue rather than flash and action. The public can only take ridiculous special effects for so long.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sleet wrote:I think the '10s will look just like the '00s until the '20s. Then we'll realize how weird they were.
this

Besides advances in technology I think the social upheaval that accompanied the various economic collapses of the past couple years is going to be the defining aspect of the decade.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

texascat018 wrote:I'm too young to answer this question, I only lived decade and a half.
I'm just a youngster,
how does it feels like to be 19?
[offtopic]I am counting down the days until 28 September 2013. Only 451 to go![/off]
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Seth wrote:
Sleet wrote:I think the '10s will look just like the '00s until the '20s. Then we'll realize how weird they were.
this

Besides advances in technology I think the social upheaval that accompanied the various economic collapses of the past couple years is going to be the defining aspect of the decade.
EVERY MAN (or woman) FOR HIMSELF (or herself)!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I think the 10's will be remembered for the end of the world *bricked*

I say it's hard to tell what it'll be remembered for with only two and a half years of them gone.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Yeah, if you compare individually two years like, say, 1999 and 2001, even though they're in different decades they are themselves rather similar

We really only develop that caricaturization of decades in retrospect.

I am interested in how the aughts or the naughts or whoever even cares ends up being viewed though, now that we're done. That whole deal with the economy will definitely be part of that, I'm sure.

Was the smartphone more of a this decade or last decade thing?
Image Image
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Well, I think it's definitely too early to say for sure.
I'd say that people usually characterize a decade after it's over.
So far, it doesn't look all too different to me!
But then again there is probably a reason why I'm not an historian.
Also the gradual improvement in technology is to be expected.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wonder how our fashion will be stereotyped. I didn't even realize how bright and colorful the '90s clothes were until afterward.
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

Upon reading this thread, I thought of this:

ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I'd say you're a pedantic(?) person, not a 90's kid, if that irritates you.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I'm curious as to whether the "'90s kid" phenomenon will follow the '90s kids or if it will eventually roll into possession of the '00s kids, that's something we'll be starting to see by the end of the decade.
Image Image
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Cm4F wrote:Upon reading this thread, I thought of this:

Strangely enough, those things in phone cords do bother me.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sleet wrote:I wonder how our fashion will be stereotyped. I didn't even realize how bright and colorful the '90s clothes were until afterward.
One day I'll realize that retro fitted/flatbrim hats are dumb and be embarassed that I wore them, and I think Ear gauges are going to be looked at as pretty stupid in a decade or so.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Seth wrote:I think Ear gauges are going to be looked at as pretty stupid in a decade or so.
I'm surprised they aren't already. It's putting permanent holes it your ears that a padlock can be put into.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Grey Wolverine

Cm4F wrote:Upon reading this thread, I thought of this:

It bothers me because I have OCD
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

That's not OCD. It's annoyance at something that isn't the way you think it should be. They are not the same thing.
The Grey Wolverine

Actually, I do have OCD, I try to break it but its annoying. My money must all have the face sides out, lined up perfectly going form smallest bills to largest, I count everything in a series of 1-8, steps, tiles on the floor ectera, and things in my room must be put in the perfect spot or else I start to freak out a bit and move everything.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Actually, I do have OCD, I try to break it but its annoying. My money must all have the face sides out, lined up perfectly going form smallest bills to largest
I think that's just money smarts, not OCD. I do the same thing too.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I do that too. I might have mild OCD but if I do it's not debilitating.

Hopefully the '10s will be known as the decade that killed the land line!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:Hopefully the '10s will be known as the decade that killed the land line!
I don't get the benefit of only having a cell phone. Why not have a cell for when you're away from home and a land line when you're there? does a land line have negative effects that I don't know about?
what if there are calls you don't want to receive while you're out having fun? and you would rather the answering machine at home get it?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They waste space and outlets and they're inconvenient.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

that's a matter of opinion, Sleet. just because you don't like them doesn't mean that no one should have them.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Landlines don't require charging. = P

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

My old cell phone almost didn't need to be charged.

Once, when I went to Hawaii, I didn't charge it the entire week, and only turned it off for the plane ride. After an entire week, when I finally got back home, it still had (I kid you not) 75% battery left. I could have, in theory, not charged my phone for up to a month at a time.

And I plugged my phone in every night too, which is bad for the battery life. While it wasn't a smart phone or anything, that is still some impressive battery life right there. (It was actually a flip phone)

And as this decade goes on, the battery life in our phones will only get better and better. (Maybe to the point that my new smart phone doesn't have to be plugged in every night)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

When the power goes out, landlines can stay on, depnding on how they get service. Cell phones keep power too, of course, but only for as long as the battery lasts.
JeffCvt wrote:And as this decade goes on, the battery life in our phones will only get better and better. (Maybe to the point that my new smart phone doesn't have to be plugged in every night)
One thing that bothers me about the way we develop technology now is we make things smaller because we can. I see companies touting the thin-ness of their new smartphones, but I've never heard anyone complain about how clunky and fat their smartphone is. If you can make the components smaller, why not just keep the device the same size and make it more powerful? I dunno, I'm not an engineer but it seems like that makes more sense. Maybe it's a marketing thing.
Image Image
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I only want Apple to perish as a corporation.

In fact, I hate most corporations but especially Apple.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wanderer wrote:I only want Apple to perish as a corporation.

In fact, I hate most corporations but especially Apple.
You know if Apple perished, tons of people would be unemployed. I don't wish that on anyone.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I don't mind apple, they just need some competition to break up their monopoly on mp3 players

And I can definitely see the benefits of a landline, but I can see how a super edgy 90'd kid like sleet sees them as superfluous
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz