Halloween 2015

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Halloween 2015

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Its never too soon to think about Halloween. For me its the entire month of October (and pretty much every day of the year).

Does anyone have any plans for Halloween this year?
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Douglas Collier

Re: Halloween 2015

Post by Douglas Collier »

I'lł be going to Furry Unlocked in Salt Lake (UT) (worst acronym ever if you ask me). :roll:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

We don't celebrate Halloween here. The only sign that it's Halloween time is the spooky specials that TV channels (usually from the West) promote and the few costume shops here promoting their wares more aggressively.

Personally, I just enjoy seeing how excited you guys get during this season of spooks and pumpkins :3

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Brother invited me to a Halloween party, but unsure if I'll go. Work has picked up steam. Last year, we thought about being Power Rangers, but the cost of a decent costume is astounding. This year, he suggested Jedi, which should be significantly cheaper. Let's see what happens.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'll be working until 8 PM. :( It's gonna be a slow day. I may join friends for a party afterward if one is going on!

I can't wait to have kits. I wanna start trick-or-treating again. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

kurowolfe wrote:We don't celebrate Halloween here. The only sign that it's Halloween time is the spooky specials that TV channels (usually from the West) promote and the few costume shops here promoting their wares more aggressively.

Personally, I just enjoy seeing how excited you guys get during this season of spooks and pumpkins :3
It is my favorite holiday!

But for a lot of people not familiar with it, it does seem very bizarre from the outside looking in. I'll put it into context for you.

Halloween comes from the ancient Celtic holiday Samhain. It marked the end of the growing season and the beginning of winter. The last harvest was celebrated as were the dead. Its the night when the barriers would be down between the land of the living and the land of the dead. When our ancestors would check in on us and warm themselves by our bonfires. But other things, dangerous things came to visit as well. So we trick them and scare them with costumes and the light of jack o'lanterns.

Always hand out treats to the costumed children knocking on your door. They might prank you. Or they might be an evil spirit in human form.

Samhain was combined with the Christian holiday of All Saints' Day. The night of which was known as the Eve of All Saints, or All Hallow's Eve, which is where the name came from.

Happy Halloween to all our friends in Malaysia and around the world.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

well, if I can get my costume together in time, my anime club's having a costume contest on the 29th. I probably can;t compete since I'm an officer, but I can still dress up. I'm going to be a genderbent Amethyst from Steven Universe (or as close to genderbent as a technically genderless space rock can get)

If I get invited, I'd go to a party with friends, but I haven't been hanging around the place where everyone hangs out recently due to classes.

beyond those ifs, I have a convention the first weekend of November so I'll be wearing my costume there.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wanna go walking but I don't know if my aunt will be here this year with her grandchildren or if my mother will go walking with her and my cousins.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Over here in Australia halloween is close to nothing. Barely anyone does it and those who do struggle to find decent houses. On the bright side that's the day that the Five Nights at Freddy's 4 DLC comes out to hopefully answer some of the series mysteries.
I wish Halloween was bigger over here it looks so fun.
Hi Hi Pie
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

I had considered making up a costume just for the **** of it this year (I also considered it last year), but with me moving into a house in November, i'll be more busy at that time, organizing and packing my belongings. And as somebody mentioned, Australia doesn't really embrace Halloween. And unlike my relatives, I don't get invited to parties.

Mod Edit: Sorry, use of that word as profanity is not allowed.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I need a list of reasons never to go to Australia. :P
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I need a list of reasons never to go to Australia. :P
Shall I start with a list of deadly animals?
Oh and at Christmas don't expect to be eating a turkey around a fire inside. It is one of the hottest days of the year.
Hi Hi Pie
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:It is my favorite holiday!

But for a lot of people not familiar with it, it does seem very bizarre from the outside looking in. I'll put it into context for you.

Halloween comes from the ancient Celtic holiday Samhain. It marked the end of the growing season and the beginning of winter. The last harvest was celebrated as were the dead. Its the night when the barriers would be down between the land of the living and the land of the dead. When our ancestors would check in on us and warm themselves by our bonfires. But other things, dangerous things came to visit as well. So we trick them and scare them with costumes and the light of jack o'lanterns.

Always hand out treats to the costumed children knocking on your door. They might prank you. Or they might be an evil spirit in human form.

Samhain was combined with the Christian holiday of All Saints' Day. The night of which was known as the Eve of All Saints, or All Hallow's Eve, which is where the name came from.

Happy Halloween to all our friends in Malaysia and around the world.
I am very much aware of the history and significance of Halloween, seeing videos and reading of it. It's just not a Malaysian thing, or an Asian thing for that matter.

In the Malaysia context, we do celebrate the Hungry Ghost Festival, which is a little bit like Obon in Japan and the Day of the Dead in Mexico. However, these celebrations (to my knowledge at least) have a larger emphasis on family, which I think Halloween lacks, which also means that it didn't get traction here. Not even among the Christian community here, I don't think they celebrate All Saints' Day that much (they do celebrate Lent and Good Friday though). Maybe in Philippines it does celebrate it to an extent (because she has the largest Christian community around these parts), but I'm not exactly sure of that. Ask ShadowLightning or someone :3

Also, from what I can gather, Halloween is fun to celebrate because it's the one holiday that you don't have to celebrate with family (or be pressured to celebrate with family) and can be pretty much done on your own. Asian cultures, like I said, value the involvement of family when it comes to celebrations like these. So no bueno

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

IdleCurator wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I need a list of reasons never to go to Australia. :P
Shall I start with a list of deadly animals?
Oh and at Christmas don't expect to be eating a turkey around a fire inside. It is one of the hottest days of the year.
Start with a list of deadly plants first. Ever hear of something called the gympi gympi?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Let's get back to the topic of Halloween.

I've decided that If I can get the money together, I'm also gonna try a costume of Sans from Undertale.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

I'll probably drive up to spend it with my family ^w^.
For the past few years I've been alternating between costumes that one Jim Halpert from "The Office" has worn (both because they're pretty funny and very cheap).
I'm think I'm going with "Three Hole Punch" this year :D
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!