Yes, I have one.
5%
Yes, I have several.
No votes

Total votes: 215

Silly Zealot

Re: Fursuits: do you own one?

Post by Silly Zealot »

I can't erase this sudden smirk on my face, Does anyone know a way to help me?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That is beyond adorable. Fursuiters playing with dogs is pretty much the cutest thing ever.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:That is beyond adorable. Fursuiters playing with dogs is pretty much the cutest thing ever.
Youtube link time!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wish I could find the video I saw years ago. :(
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I don't know if I could ever dare to hug a fursuiter.
I mean, they are just people in costumes. I can hug them outside of them anytime I want. : P
I remember that when five years old, me and my family went to Disneyland in Paris (Back when inflation wasn't hitting the world so hard.), and not hugging any of the people posing as the characters because I was nervous of what people would think about it.
Now, getting into the world of young adulthood, doing such a thing would earn me nothing short of a brand as a wierdo.

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Part of adulthood is realizing and accepting that other people's opinions generally aren't important. If you want to hug a mascot or fursuit-wearer, don't let the assumption that someone you don't know will think you're weird stop you!

Alternately, embrace your weirdness. It seems to be working for me.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Rico

Post by Rico »

Silly Zealot wrote:When five years old, me and my family went to Disneyland in Paris (Back when inflation wasn't hitting the world so hard.), and not hugging any of the people posing as the characters because I was nervous of what people would think about it.
When I was 18 I went to Disney World and refused to have my photo taken with the characters. However, I'm now in my late 20's and off to Disney World this Saturday, and very much looking forward to getting my photo taken with Tigger!
Dissension wrote:Alternately, embrace your weirdness. It seems to be working for me.
I agree, and feel much happier because of it :D
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Mostly, I don't actually want to hug a fursuiter. I already said it, they are people on costumes, why not just befriend them out of suit, where most of their lives transpire?
Besides, how am I supposed to fit into society and make friends if people hears about me hugging fluffy costume wearers?
Sadly, the only way to do all you want is if you become hermit, and even then you are still bound by the rules of physics.
Rico wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:When five years old, me and my family went to Disneyland in Paris (Back when inflation wasn't hitting the world so hard.), and not hugging any of the people posing as the characters because I was nervous of what people would think about it.
When I was 18 I went to Disney World and refused to have my photo taken with the characters. However, I'm now in my late 20's and off to Disney World this Saturday, and very much looking forward to getting my photo taken with Tigger!
Ah, I remember that I read the (translated) introduction to "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe", and on it, Mister Lewis dedicated it to one of his family members, which was at the time a growing girl, and wrote something along the lines of "By the time this book is finished, you may have grown past the liking of fairy tales, yet I hope you enjoy it once you have grown old enough to enjoy them again."
A sentence that holds more truth than it knows. We could really discuss that phrase for days on end!

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Dissension wrote:Part of adulthood is realizing and accepting that other people's opinions generally aren't important. If you want to hug a mascot or fursuit-wearer, don't let the assumption that someone you don't know will think you're weird stop you!

You become an adult as soon as you stop trying to be an adult.
Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

Dissension wrote:Part of adulthood is realizing and accepting that other people's opinions generally aren't important. If you want to hug a mascot or fursuit-wearer, don't let the assumption that someone you don't know will think you're weird stop you!

Agreed. I actually started to stop caring what other people think, and I've actually befriended quite a few people who I probably would have never talked to if I was always worried about the opinions of others. I'm still kind of shy, but it's getting better. :3
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Anyone know what is the best way to pack a fursuit partial to take as luggage on a plane?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Probably just fold it like clothes I'd imagine? No idea what to do with the head though.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Wear it on the plane, refuse to take it off.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

use the head as a suitcase
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

I think a action packer is actually advised.
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

If I ever had to pack my fursuit, I'd use a separate hard-shell suitcase and be sure that there was a generous amount of room for the head. Use the remainder of the fursuit to pack around it, loose. If it's summer and there's lots of tarmac time, pack such that heat won't warp the muzzle or ear shape.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

You know, one other advantage of owning a fursuit is that no matter what you look like on the outside, your fursuit lets you look like how you feel on the inside.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Adorable?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Australian shepard?

Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

Holy pork, Tycho but your fursuit looks an awful lot like my dog.

Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Hasn't it crossed your mind that maybe, just maybe, he IS your dog, working undercover to find and bring down all your evil schemes?

Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

Silly Zealot wrote:Hasn't it crossed your mind that maybe, just maybe, he IS your dog, working undercover to find and bring down all your evil schemes?
Oh snap, I didn't think that to be a possibility. Be right back, interrogating my dog with Milk Bones.
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Duster

Post by Duster »

Silly Zealot wrote:Hasn't it crossed your mind that maybe, just maybe, he IS your dog, working undercover to find and bring down all your evil schemes?
Yeah, like the movie The Shaggy Dog!
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Duster wrote:
Yeah, like the movie The Shaggy Dog!
I love that movie! Actually, I love the 1959 Disney rendition the best.

The Shaggy Dog, 2013:

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wasn't there a terrible one made semi-recently?

And that picture is adorable.
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

How is it that I usually find fursuits weird and kind of creepy, yet every one of Tycho's pictures are improbably adorable!?
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
tychoaussie

Adorability Improbability

Post by tychoaussie »

I think Skye, that it's because a fursuit is just a shell, and the person within is what brings the character to life. The costume amplifies your body language and your portrayal of emotions. If a fursuiter just plods along, or worse, they get embarrassed, uncomfortable and try to not stand out. They look *way* out of place. ...and perhaps weird and creepy.

Part of my philosophy whenever I step outside is that I focus on being completely interested in everyone I see. I already stand out so I go all the way and add big flourishes, bows, and delighted hops to my movements. I leave those who act as if they don't see me alone, and give them space. Those who want to interact, I give them my all. By doing so, the atmosphere changes to one of a festival. What I've discovered is that I feed off their enthusiasm, get even more excited as an actor and that's when the magic really happens. Practice helps a lot, too. Certain ways of turning your head, laughing, and a careful study of your audience's reaction to the movement help refine the performance to maximize cuteness and minimize creepiness.
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Here's the latest portrait. I'm getting this one printed.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Where is that being taken? It looks great!
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

It was taken at 8 AM on a Sunday morning, at the MSU art museum. We got in two hours on campus at various locations, and then still had time to get changed and go to church. It was great, and we're going to do it again sometime, to try and refine the poses that didn't quite work out to our satisfaction. This one though, I don't think we could perfect. Erv nailed the lighting on the very first try!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

For me a fursuit is only viable if i'm really going to have a way to travel to cons and stuff to be around other suiters. My city is not really..suit friendly and I don't really care for other people's children.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The more I see pictures of them, the more I want one. But I don't think I'd ever wear it except as a costume to a special event or something. I don't think I'd be comfortable just walking down the street in one...

Tycho, I saw in one of your videos that your jaw is moveable. Can you do that from inside the suit or does someone else do it remotely?

And I just found this on one of my friend's facebook pages. I've no idea who the furry in the suit is or who the character is but I think it's appropriate for this thread. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Hilaroo, most of that picture is about right, certainly the heat part. We underestimate our body's need to shed excess heat; I shed a lot of water - and try to avoid hugs towards the end of an event.

My jaw is a cantilever design and I have a kevlar plate in there that bumps against my own chin. When I talk, the costume jaw follows my own. It works brillianty and quite convincingly emulates my speech, now that I've practiced. It takes a bit of skill , sort of like reverse ventriloquism, in that you must accentuate your mouth movements to make it work.

As for the "can't see, can't pick things up", it's not that bad if you get a good design: heck, I can do stuff like cartwheels, pick up martial arts tools, and even ride motorcycles.

http://youtu.be/hJ2zTK5cPx0
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ooh, yes. I live on college at university in the tropics and I wonder almost every day why I chose a non-airconditioned room and I often do pracs wearing thick overalls standing under the blazing sun. I imagine that's nothing compared to a fursuit though!

Oh, that's a clever way of doing it. I tend to mumble when I talk so perhaps I should get a suit like that to teach myself to talk properly. ;)

I saw that video of you on the bike over at the "Are You A Furry" thread. Looks like fun! Do you have any footage of Tycho doing martial arts? I reckon that'd be pretty cool to see! I do recall you mentioning your gloves though. I reckon that'd be a lot easier than some of the mitten designs I've seen.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Jeez man that looks incredibly dangerous!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I have worn a fursuit, it was great until I tripped, I can stand the heat pretty well and didn't have an issue with acting without my own facial expressions. (I have two, "Not Amused" and "Sinister grin") If I had a Fox fursuit I would be running wild. Hopefully without getting shot by one of the local farmers. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I have worn a fursuit, it was great until I tripped, I can stand the heat pretty well and didn't have an issue with acting without my own facial expressions. (I have two, "Not Amused" and "Sinister grin") If I had a Fox fursuit I would be running wild. Hopefully without getting shot by one of the local farmers. :lol:
I wore a Fox fursuit for a children charity event 2 years ago. It was pretty funny but yeah... also pretty hot! :D
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I can tolerate extreme heat, the trouble is, where to get one on my budget. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Zero interest in fursuits concerning me, neither got to see one in real life... But I admire the work and effort put in making them, and also this is art, when well made.
Oh well, I wouldn't tolerate for long time the heat I get being inside a furry costume... Too high ambient temperatures here, too. :P
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

There's got to be somebody who's figured out to wear a water-cooled undergarment under their fursuit. For example, the commercial Veskimo. $546 gets you a water-cooled vest and wearable circulation backpack. When you're spending a couple thousand for a fursuit, it's probably a worthwhile investment.

I swear this wasn't intended to be an ad. x3