Animated Films of 2012

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Psykeout

Animated Films of 2012

Post by Psykeout »

Animated Films listed slated to come out in 2012

Webcomic fans tend to like animation, and so do furries, and we got a lot of that going on around here, and I saw this list so I bugged up a thread for the discussion of these movies individually or as a group.

I'm very excited for brave, even if the heroine seems to be in a situation pretty similar to Mulan. I don't doubt that that they'll be different enough to please me. I really hope the lorax is good, but i don't think it will be. It looks pretty at the very least and it's a nice story that I'd like to see told. I feel like ParaNorman will end up being a good idea with bad execution (a la Corpse Bride). Rise of the Guardians sounds like it would be a difficult concept to work with, because you can't portray the more well-known modern mythical figures without going into that awkward modernized fairy tale area, though I'm pretty ok with how Jack Frost's design looks. and Wreck it Ralph I'm looking forward to hearing more about and I really hope Disney doesn't get lazy with it because it sounds like it's got potential to be really good.

And the Ice age and Madagascar sequels are unnecessary.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Animated Films of 2012

Post by Sleet »

The Secret World of Arrietty also looks really awesome. I think it's really neat Studio Ghibli is working on a Western story.

The Lorax will likely be both enjoyable and forgettable. I'd gladly see it if invited, but I don't think it'll make any waves at all.

The Pirates! Band of Misfits could be promising. We'll have to see.

Madagascar: The Third Movie in a Series Where Even The First Was Mediocre

I shouldn't even have to explain why I'm excited for Brave. It looks fantastic. I'm digging the accents too.

Ice Age: Seriously Quit It You Guys

Dorothy of Oz: This could be interesting. But really, guys? Bryan Adams?

ParaNorman looks kinda Hot Topic. Which is an adjective now. I'm sure it will have a good deal of fans, but I don't think I'm likely to become one of them.

Hotel Transylvania has a good team working for it, but I really can't say much else.

Frankenweenie is just too bizarre for me to make any judgment on at this point.

Wreck-It Ralph has promise, but it's ambitious enough to fail horribly if they don't be careful.

Rise of the Guardians sounds really awesome. I wanna follow this one.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Sleet wrote:Rise of the Guardians sounds really awesome. I wanna follow this one.
It bugs me that santa is in there, because there's no good way to portray santa anymore. It has to be like Shrek, where all the fairy tales live in a modern setting and make pop culture references. Jack Frost and The Sandman would fit in perfectly to a very natural, mystical setting, but the rest of them seem like they'd be hard to portray in a way that doesn't seem tacky. Santa and the Easter Bunny especially, because they have holidays attached.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I dunno, I can see them doing a really adventurous approach to them. Make them very atypical for the character, but still obvious what they're representing. For instance, making the Easter bunny female or Santa thin. Even simple stuff like that can help break away from cliches without having to rely on equally-cliched subversions. Taking the character in a vastly different direction gives them a lot more freedom with characterization. Just so long as they're more creative with this divergence than "lolol santa isnt jolly at all" or something.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

that's the thing though, I'd rather see these characters in their more basic and original interpretations. What i'd REALLY rather see is the entire cast be filled with characters with less portrayal and divergent interpretation in media, like Jack Frost, Sandman, and the Boogie Man. It'd be cool if they replaced Santa with Ms. Claus. Who needs a first name. I think it should be either Carol of Mary.
To be fair, the animation style they used for Frost looks very serious and no-nonsense, so they probably won't do THAT bad.
bwah bwah
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I'm definitely intrigued by Ghibli's take on The Borrowers, if only because I love anything that Miyazaki is involved with.

The Lorax looks, as Sleet aptly put it, both enjoyable and forgettable; I like what I've seen so far, but I can't imagine it'll be anything mind-boggling good.

The Pirate movie quite frankly looks to be funny as hell, so I'll definitely be giving that a watch. I can't say that I'm a fan of the art style, but the humor is more than enough for me.

The Madagascar sequel I'll be watching because I loved the first two, and it looks entertaining, at least. I'm really hoping they don't go any further with the series though, because I can't imagine them getting any -better-.

Ice Age 4? No. It's gone on too long now. I love the first one to pieces, but they've been getting worse and worse, and while the third was still entertaining, I really don't want to see this series drive itself into the ground...

Brave looks awesome, ParaNorman is a maybe, and Dorothy of Oz? Meh. Sounds like a bad idea to me. Dan Aykroyd is the only thing that looks good about it.

Frankenweenie I'm looking forward to seeing more on, simply because of the people working on it. Based on Tim Burton's work, directed by the person behind Alice in Wonderland, produced by a guy who worked on The Lion King, and one of the main cast is voiced by Tom Kenny.

Edit: Woops, forgot to add that that pic of Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians looks badcuss. Seriously.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Holy crap, awesome
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That would be pretty awesome. I'm all for it.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Oh. Also, Betty White has a part in The Lorax, so I plan on seeing it.
bwah bwah
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I'm expecting good things from A Monster In Paris, it reminds me of Igor and the director Bibo Bergeron has worked on some decent films.

Paranorman as in the brother movie of the fantastic Coraline will beat most contenders except for Brave.

Speaking of Brave

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/ ... aws-review

Is it just me....?

I have mixed feelings about the Lorax, it is one of my favourite stories and i really hope they dont destroy it but i only have Despicable Me and Hop to weigh against this company's ability to produce quality films. I own Despicable Me on Blu-Ray and personally i think they are the perfect company to take on the Lorax. However the writer also wrote Horton Hears a Who which was good but had an unnecessary karaoke number at the end "I Can't fight this feeling anymore" and if the Lorax has one then it will destroy the film like the alternate ending to Titanic.

Madagascar 3......yea.....clearly Dreamworks is the Aaron Seltzer of animation.......

Ice Age 4......I can't bear to look.....got to say though, anything Blue Sky throws out from now on can't be any worse than Rio.

I dont know much about those other films but they be hit and misses but i am looking forward to Frankenweenie, at last, Tim's going back to his roots.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Really? You didn't like Rio? I was all over that when it was released.

I'm a sucker for animated movies.
I'm looking forward to many of the movies on that list =)!
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I liked Rio, but the romance in it was -so- forced at points, it was pretty painful.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I'm sorry to those who liked the movie but I found Rio very very annoying, Will I Am and Jamie Foxx especially for their love advice and songs. This film had no subtlety or believable emotion, just a very loud and meretricious cast of bonkers characters.

I guess a problem with me is i like subtlety, i like there to be silent moments so you have something to find but anything there was to dig up this film literally spoke over it.

A lot of it was very banal as well, especially the way in which the romance developed between Blu and Jewel. Maybe I just watch too many animations but each film i see where two characters walk the path of love most of the journey's start with similar nuances and events like accidental finger touches, constant apologizing, inarticulation, running your hands through your hair, the almost kiss, and so on and so forth. Again, i know from experience that love takes a lot more effort and two people in love are sometimes unrecognizable until something big happens, like in Ratatouille. I guess i'd like to see more of an effort on the viewers part to grasp who is going to end up together.

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I''m Brazillian and I think Rio was horrible. :(
As for Ice age 4 and Madagascar 3, I don't much hope for them.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

The Nostalgia Critic has low expectations for The Lorax. In his review of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) he said it was going to be bad. Should we believe him?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

As much as I hold Mr. Walker's opinion above anyone else, I don't think we can make judgements this early.
I certainly have low expectations though.
bwah bwah
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Anthroguy101 wrote:The Nostalgia Critic has low expectations for The Lorax. In his review of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) he said it was going to be bad. Should we believe him?
I believe he is correct, just look at the modern Cat in the Hat and The Grinch, those are terrible movies so if history is to be believed, than yes, it shall blow. I do want to see him review The Cat in the Hat though.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
Anthroguy101 wrote:The Nostalgia Critic has low expectations for The Lorax. In his review of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) he said it was going to be bad. Should we believe him?
I believe he is correct, just look at the modern Cat in the Hat and The Grinch, those are terrible movies so if history is to be believed, than yes, it shall blow. I do want to see him review The Cat in the Hat though.
those were both live-action movies. what about Horton Hears a Who? was that any good? because that was animated.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Horton Hears a Who was forgettable, and certainly didn't leave much of an impact on me. I feel like it was just quirky adult voice actors acting silly in a kind of obnoxious way. I wouldn't say I MINDED it though.

Horton Hears a Who and The Lorax aren't being done by the same people though.

My biggest concern is that the Once-ler looks...
so gentlemanly and
visible.
But it LOOKS LIKE he starts out that way, and then get's less humanoid-y as the whole corruption thing goes down, which would be some nice imagery if they don't mess it up.

And of course it's going to have this whole sub-plot like all the other Dr. Seuss film adaptions. I hope that doesn't steal the show.

I really liked the sound track to the trailer though. :B
Last edited by Psykeout on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwah bwah
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Psykeout wrote:Horton Hears a Who was forgettable, and certainly didn't leave much of an impact on me. I feel like it was just quirky adult voice actors acting silly in a kind of obnoxious way. I wouldn't say I MINDED it though.

Horton Hears a Who and The Lorax aren't being done by the same people though.

My biggest concern is that the Once-ler looks...
so gentlemanly and
visible.
I noticed that. and the whole story seems like it isn't following the book exactly.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I noticed that. and the whole story seems like it isn't following the book exactly.
Any time you adapt a Dr. Seuss book into a movie, they have to add a sub-plot to fill time. Which is why the 30-minute 2-D animated pictures are often preferred over the film adaptations (See The Grinch, The Cat in the Hat, Horton Hears a Who).

No trailer available for Rise of the Guardians, so I snuck around for more info. Skip to 1:00 for basically nothing much except a small movie poster and voice talents

This was actually exactly how I want to see these characters portrayed. (except maybe sandman but he's fine)
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ooh, I really like their design, but the rendering looks a little lazy.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I've never quite understood the idea that Dr. Seuss characters should be wacky, sassy, pop-culture-reference-spewing screwballs. I'm glad that this Lorax seems to at least have gotten over the "LOOK I'M RELEVANT" hurdle, but most of the jokes I saw were much more "forgettable DreamWorks movie" than Seuss, or even "not really Seuss, but still funny." While at first I was impressed that the Lorax looked to be shaping up to be a more interesting character, he himself I think is actually the worst offender in this sense.

These people trying to adapt Seuss should see Seussical. It's not a fantastic show, but one thing it gets right is it doesn't make the audience cringe by massacring the personality of Seuss' stories.

I will say that I think making the Onceler a human character was probably a good choice, considering the movie wouldn't be very good if it was just the Lorax telling a person that's obviously evil to stop being so evil.

I can't tell whether the Onceler looking exactly like the little boy is relevant or just a design mistake.
Sleet wrote:Ice Age: Seriously Quit It You Guys
That would actually be a pretty good subtitle.
I haven't even seen the third Ice Age, and I don't really remember much about the second. This did make me want to go back and see the first, though.

Of some relation, is Ice Age set on a giant timey-wimey ball? An ice age is beginning in the first film, ending in the second (which can only be set so long after the first considering that none of the characters show much aging), and then we get to dinosaurs, and now they're telling us a continental drift is beginning, which would imply that previous to this installment the films had been set on a supercontinent, presumably Pangaea? (That's ignoring all the anachronisms inherent in the first film). I realize scientific accuracy is the least of the film's concerns, but seriously. At a certain point I have to assume this series is not set on Earth.

Do the humans appear after the first movie?
Image Image
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Oh god there was humans.

They were like a big thing in the first one and now I didn't even remember them.
WMG: The humans are all Furries with dinosaur fursonas and the Dinosaurs are just suits.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

A human was central to the plot of the first one. And yeah, there's anachronism all up ins with these movies.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I would've picked Kelsey Grammer to play the Onceler, panache, intelligence, beauteous tone, then David Hyde Pierce could play his brother.

I'm not entirely sure why they picked Ed "Hangover" Helms who i think is just too soft and incapable to play the role. I know there are auditions beforehand but look at his film bio, this guy has been in nothing but crap!!

I understand Danny De Vito, personally i might've given Harvey Fierstein a chance or better yet Robin Williams. I had a notion to write a Lorax play a few years ago and thought it'd be interesting if the Trufulla fruit contained a halucinigen which only activates in humans and so the Lorax would've been a figment of his imagination but now i see they're going down a route where everyone is able to see him which i dont think will be very good.
Of some relation, is Ice Age set on a giant timey-wimey ball? An ice age is beginning in the first film, ending in the second (which can only be set so long after the first considering that none of the characters show much aging), and then we get to dinosaurs, and now they're telling us a continental drift is beginning, which would imply that previous to this installment the films had been set on a supercontinent, presumably Pangaea? (That's ignoring all the anachronisms inherent in the first film). I realize scientific accuracy is the least of the film's concerns, but seriously. At a certain point I have to assume this series is not set on Earth.
Jeez...i didnt actually stop to think how accurate these movies where...i know that Blue Skies don't care too much but this is just insulting.

Blue Skies have always relied heavily on pop culture references. Horton somehow knows about hats and Ninjas yet he has no idea what a "Bathroom" is.

Personally i thought their all time greatest movie was Robots, my brother and i just love the dying lampost "Lady *gasp* please *gasp* see a...doctor!! *Faint*"

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Well, considering the Continental Rift was started (much like every other crazy earthquake-like phenomenon in the movies) by an ice squirrel jabbing an acorn into the ground... I really don't think you can make an argument that scientific inaccuracy decreases the quality of the movies. >.>
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

KJOokami wrote:Well, considering the Continental Rift was started (much like every other crazy earthquake-like phenomenon in the movies) by an ice squirrel jabbing an acorn into the ground... I really don't think you can make an argument that scientific inaccuracy decreases the quality of the movies. >.>
I don't hold Ice Age to a high standard of scientific accuracy, that would ruin it pretty quickly. But I personally think that, after "anachronistic variations on a time period" becomes "a mishmash of different things from all over the place", it stretches suspension of disbelief a smidge too far.

Like I said, I haven't seen the third nor do I really remember the second film, so I'm not judging their quality, I'm just going off on something relatively insignificant that I don't like, and not for the last time.
Image Image
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

CaptainPea wrote:it stretches suspension of disbelief a smidge too far.
But come on, dude. A squirrel. Shoves an acorn into the top of a mountain. Causing the entire mountain and surrounding ground to split open, where the squirrel falls into the center of the earth, lands on the "core", runs around on it for several minutes, which causes the earth to split in random areas, parodying the continental splitting of Pangea.

Does that not bother you more than whether an ice age can realistically subside within the time span of a hiatus between a film and its sequel?

I don't mean to nag here, I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from. 'Cause I mean, the premise of the first film is a mammoth, a ground sloth, and a sabre-toothed tiger traveling across a pretty sizable distance to bring a human baby back to its family, while a squirrel runs around in the background, causing earthquakes in its wake via acorn. I just really don't think suspension of disbelief even applies in a film like this. :/
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

KJOokami wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:it stretches suspension of disbelief a smidge too far.
But come on, dude. A squirrel. Shoves an acorn into the top of a mountain. Causing the entire mountain and surrounding ground to split open, where the squirrel falls into the center of the earth, lands on the "core", runs around on it for several minutes, which causes the earth to split in random areas, parodying the continental splitting of Pangea.

Does that not bother you more than whether an ice age can realistically subside within the time span of a hiatus between a film and its sequel?

I don't mean to nag here, I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from. 'Cause I mean, the premise of the first film is a mammoth, a ground sloth, and a sabre-toothed tiger traveling across a pretty sizable distance to bring a human baby back to its family, while a squirrel runs around in the background, causing earthquakes in its wake via acorn. I just really don't think suspension of disbelief even applies in a film like this. :/
Nonsensical or not by real world standards, most works lay down an internal logic that defines the playing field. While highly fictionalized, the original film did fairly well at communicating a consistent setting that could be reasonably paralleled to reality.

It's mostly those **** humans that throw a wench into things. I find the idea that human civilization predated the separation of Pangaea much harder to accept than that mammoths or sloths or semifictional sabre-toothed squirrels did.

Since I went on my little rant, I have learned that the third film is set in a "Land of the Lost" type setting which, while perhaps still flimsy as far as realism, at least keeps the chronology of the Earth relatively intact, which is really what I'm getting at here.

All this is making me want to watch Ice Age, though, so victory for Blue Sky I suppose?
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have to agree with Pea. "It's not supposed to be realistic" is not a blank check to be ridiculous with everything.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

ugh guys you're not getting it
Ice age is set in the very far future. Scientists finally discover how to clone prehistoric animals, and they're held safely in captivity. Animals of the ice age are mostly kept above ground, and dinosaurs are kept in the underground colonies (the third to last frontier). The continents drift around the world and meet all the way on the other side, creating the second super continent, Aegnap. This causes massive earthquakes and volcano eruptions across the globe, wiping out most animal life. The remaining humans turn to a sort of "Easter Island" scenario, going back on the evolution scale and becoming like their tribal ancestors. however, the animals of the ice age and dinosaur time period were all safe in their habitats. there they remain for a long time, the automated habitat providing them with everything they need. Without the regular maintenance of humans, though, the facilities slowly become run down and the animals are reintroduced into the wild via escaping. Outside, due to a sharp decline in any human interaction and large amounts of airborne ash, the world climate has been slowly dropping, plunging into an ice age.
bwah bwah
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Just watched the Arriety trailer

Jónsi song in it

<3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:I have to agree with Pea. "It's not supposed to be realistic" is not a blank check to be ridiculous with everything.
That's not what I was saying. I was just pointing out that you guys seemed freaked out by the fact certain scientific facts weren't being kept intact for the movies, yet didn't seem at all perturbed by what I see as, far and away, the most "ridiculous" thing -in- the movies.

But since Psyke's laid out the facts for us, I guess that's pretty irrelevant now.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Psykeout wrote:ugh guys you're not getting it
Ice age is set in the very far future. Scientists finally discover how to clone prehistoric animals, and they're held safely in captivity. Animals of the ice age are mostly kept above ground, and dinosaurs are kept in the underground colonies (the third to last frontier). The continents drift around the world and meet all the way on the other side, creating the second super continent, Aegnap. This causes massive earthquakes and volcano eruptions across the globe, wiping out most animal life. The remaining humans turn to a sort of "Easter Island" scenario, going back on the evolution scale and becoming like their tribal ancestors. however, the animals of the ice age and dinosaur time period were all safe in their habitats. there they remain for a long time, the automated habitat providing them with everything they need. Without the regular maintenance of humans, though, the facilities slowly become run down and the animals are reintroduced into the wild via escaping. Outside, due to a sharp decline in any human interaction and large amounts of airborne ash, the world climate has been slowly dropping, plunging into an ice age.
This is the greatest thing ever. Seriously, I couldn't stop laughing at "Aegnap".
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I don't think what's shown in the first teaser trailer is going to be in the actual movie, it's more just a clever play on how our planet was formed.

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

No, it likely won't be. If I remember correctly, they did something similar for the first movie that was never actually in it. Regardless, it's a theme that's pretty constant throughout the films. Scrat's constant battle to find a place to plant his acorn that won't end up destroying the area he plants it in.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I always thought the first teaser was more a short, and it was popular enough they tried to make a movie out of it. I'm probably wrong.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

okay, why did the one that went through another arrow go deeper than the others?
also, awesome.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets