Tech Talk

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Anthroguy101

Tech Talk

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Don't know if this thread has been made yet, but I think it would be appropriate.

This thread is for talking about technology, modern progress, new and shiny things, as well as technologies of the past. Please adhere to the forum rules and be respectful of each others' opinion. You may discuss, but please don't flame each other.

Thanks a bunch,
-anthroguy101
Kyderra

Re: Tech Talk

Post by Kyderra »

wear do you get your updates?
I get them mainly from:

http://twit.tv/
http://digg.com/ (users/necrid)
http://revision3.com/
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Kyderra wrote:wear do you get your updates?
I get them mainly from:

http://twit.tv/
http://digg.com/ (users/necrid)
http://revision3.com/
Facebook, e-mail and Google. Oh, and sometimes Wikipedia.

I also find Uncyclopedia and Urban Dictionary to be funny every now and again.
Anthroguy101

New Topic:

Post by Anthroguy101 »

What do you think is the best smartphone on the market?
Neko

Re: New Topic:

Post by Neko »

Anthroguy101 wrote:What do you think is the best smartphone on the market?
iPhone? <_< (is looking forward to the iPhone4)
ImageImage Back after 7 years to GM once more.
Eagle Kammback

Post by Eagle Kammback »

Competition Cams finally released their Thumpr series for the Ford Windsor series engines
I think I'm gonna get my dad the Big Mutha Thumpr cam for his F150, then I'll get some headers and exhaust, and she'll sound eeevvvviiiiillllll
Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry,
"Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy.
I wish I could be as carefree and wild,
but I got cat class and I got cat style."
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Eagle Kammback wrote:Competition Cams finally released their Thumpr series for the Ford Windsor series engines
I think I'm gonna get my dad the Big Mutha Thumpr cam for his F150, then I'll get some headers and exhaust, and she'll sound eeevvvviiiiillllll
I totally geek out over the new Fords. Automatic parking, voice activation, and especially the new MyFord Touch system. This is definitely the car company of a new generation.
Eagle Kammback

Post by Eagle Kammback »

I don't like the automatic parking thing

I don't want to future to be full of people who don't know how to park their own cars,
It will be like the manual transmission, I'm the last of a breed (well, in America), a young person who knows how to drive a stick

And on a not so modern technology note, I just got a "new" radio for my Eagle, a Kraco AM/FM/8-Track!!
Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry,
"Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy.
I wish I could be as carefree and wild,
but I got cat class and I got cat style."
Atari

Post by Atari »

But what about the really old tech? Right? Windows 95! DOS? MacOS? Warp?

Anyway...
anthroguy101 wrote:What do you think is the best smartphone on the market?
I really want to try Windows Mobile 7, and like AndroidOS as a whole.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

The new window's mobile device looks really cool!
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

I suggest The Register for tech news. It's a British publication, but it's really humorous and informative. It's also interesting to read about the crazy info rulings going on in Europe. I pray America never gets a firewall like Australia. I detest "Save the Children" politicking.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Shinmera

Post by Shinmera »

Code: Select all

$Shinmera->setHome($this->thread);
Or in non geek terms: I declare this thread my new home.
Tymoon.eu A new webcomic every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Just like HP!
Shinmera@deviantART | Shinmera@FurAffinity
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Iv been having some problems with my 2wire router which quite frankly sucks harder than ben stiller movies. There are multiple users connected to my internet wi fi that i don't want. I have set a WPA-PSK encryption with a custom encyption key with non public SSID broadcast. Yet they still managed to find a way in. And here is the most baffling part that makes no sense: there are about 4 computers connected to my network that are constantly active. Whenever my brother or dad are not using the network they are listed as inactive. So i did an experiment one day, i disabled the wi fi broadcasting and my brother and dad's computers went blank as inactive. However, the other computers were still connected! Plus 2wire has no option to kick people off the network. This problem is truly baffling. Are they living underneath me? Do they have invisible cables snaking towards my router that i can't see?
Shinmera

Post by Shinmera »

Hmmm, might be a software failure. It's probably nothing at all since they seem to be active all the time and connected when it's not even possible. Perhaps a router reset helps. If not, I don't think it's anything to worry about, for the above reason.
Tymoon.eu A new webcomic every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Just like HP!
Shinmera@deviantART | Shinmera@FurAffinity
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

If the device is a 2wire router/modem combo you received from AT&T KILL IT. No really, I had one and I got so fed up with it I found a old Speedstream 5300 in a bin after a Tech Drive (people in town get rid of old electronics for free) and I hooked it up to my hacked Linksys router. My internet has had only a few disconnects since I switched (and its been 2 years now). I found that configuring the 2wire router was painful and its frequent connection disconnects pained me to no end.

(fyi I hate 2wire with a passion and will never ever ever have anything to do with one again. ugh)

Though to get back to your problem, is any other router/wireless device connected to the router. Usually with network breaches its because someone plugged an improperly configured device onto the network, like if I plugged a router onto a corporate network, bad things would happen. Make sure nothing else is wired in (or connected wirelessly) change your password, don't tell your family what it is (your parents if you have to), it sounds like you're the tech geek of the family so just set it up for them and don't tell them what you did (they probably don't wanna know anyway).
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Combo modem/routers are widely known to be awful.
It might even speed up your connection to buy a good modem and router separately.
But as for your current problem, it seems like a software bug rather than a network intrusion.

Try restarting it, and perhaps changing the encryption key if that doesn't work.
If you have a Nintendo Wii, that one remains connected even when turned off.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

zeekgenateer wrote:If the device is a 2wire router/modem combo you received from AT&T KILL IT. No really, I had one and I got so fed up with it I found a old Speedstream 5300 in a bin after a Tech Drive (people in town get rid of old electronics for free) and I hooked it up to my hacked Linksys router. My internet has had only a few disconnects since I switched (and its been 2 years now). I found that configuring the 2wire router was painful and its frequent connection disconnects pained me to no end.

(fyi I hate 2wire with a passion and will never ever ever have anything to do with one again. ugh)

Though to get back to your problem, is any other router/wireless device connected to the router. Usually with network breaches its because someone plugged an improperly configured device onto the network, like if I plugged a router onto a corporate network, bad things would happen. Make sure nothing else is wired in (or connected wirelessly) change your password, don't tell your family what it is (your parents if you have to), it sounds like you're the tech geek of the family so just set it up for them and don't tell them what you did (they probably don't wanna know anyway).
I totally agree 2wire from at&t is utter garbage. Disconnects happen more often than phone calls and it doesn't have a QoS option for bandwidth prioritization. You know its bad when you have to explain to your online course teacher why you left discussion 2 hours early and never came back :evil:
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I have a Netgear 150 Wireless-N Router that's giving me all sorts of nightmares.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

I believe Cisco's Linksys routers are generally the best widely available brand of routers.
There may be some smaller companies that specialize in powerful routers designed for gaming, but I don't know of any =P.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

I have had troubles with the Linksys brand routers I have dealt with. I usually try to search for stuff that will accept open source firmware onto them, because open sourced firmware tends to be more stable for me.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

tomato firmware ftw ^^
Anthroguy101

Internet Browsing

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Firefox 4 beta 1 is out. Anyone want to test it? What do you think?
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Some interesting news stories today.

Prof calls Aussie firewall "Undemocratic"
I'd have to agree. From what I hear, this is a disaster waiting to happen. How did this guy get to be Communications Minister

WoW to reveal real names on forums
I shouldn't have to explain how bad loosing privacy can be. Talk about Phish bait.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I dont really mind the real name, i got nothing to hide on the internets.

what?
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Those dirty Canadians! They're so sneaky, they've attempted to disguise themselves as America's hat! It's ok, I'll play a game of Defcon and stop them!
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

zeekgenateer wrote:Those dirty Canadians! They're so sneaky, they've attempted to disguise themselves as America's hat! It's ok, I'll play a game of Defcon and stop them!
I played the demo of that game! Brazil always got me though. Dang Brazilians >.<
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Brits, taste the love... for Rights Holders criminalizing everyone.

The Music Tax Based on Deep Packet Inspection Article on The Register

I'm not giving an opinion on filesharing, but forcing everyone to pay a fine levy is not a good way to do things. I just love how governments love big business lobbyists and "protecting the children".
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

If you live in the US its gonna get harder to watch videos because of this
They are stepping up their game lol but they are no match for China and their pirate power
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Yea the control of ICANN by a single government needs to stop. WTB DNS alternative?
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/14/apple-to ... on-friday/

interesting, this might mean there going to announce a fix for the recover
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

*sings Developers song*

ImageImage
ImageImage
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

My friend bought the iphone 4 like days before it hit the shelves. Won't tell me how she did it...might know someone on the inside?
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

They were sendin em out early, i read a bunch of interwebs sites that people were gettin em.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Rojo Ninja wrote:They were sendin em out early, i read a bunch of interwebs sites that people were gettin em.
Oh. Guess you gotta know those things huh?
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

Typhon wrote:
Rojo Ninja wrote:They were sendin em out early, i read a bunch of interwebs sites that people were gettin em.
Oh. Guess you gotta know those things huh?

YOU MUST KNOW OF ALL THINGS! lol jk :3

But i usually get my daily dose of tech updates and stuffs.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Do yo guys like subscribe to RSS feeds and all of t hat? I don't but iv heard from others its a real good way to keep updated, but from all this twitter, front page updates, and tech shows i find RSS's sort of just gets lost underneath all that. There are tons of other ways to get informed. What do you guys think?
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

Nah i dont use RSS feed, true they keep you connected quite well, but i just know sites to go to. XP
Gizmodo.com Engadget.com are just 2 to name

ImageImage
ImageImage
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

I use iGoogle with RSS feeds from all the webcomics I read and tech news i visit. I have all my webcomic/creative things on one page, my personal stuff on another, and tech news on the last one. It really helps if the stuff you read doesn't have a regular update schedule. It keeps me from going there 20 times a day to check for updates.
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

Okay sorry Zeekgenateer, when i first saw your name, i read Zeegeekateer xD sorry

ImageImage
ImageImage
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Lawl, no worries. I misread/pronounce names all the time. I'm also horrible at attaches names to faces.

But back on topic... In other news, Apple disregards expert opinions on the iPhone 4 antenna. World unfazed that Jobs refused to listen to anything but the voices inside his head.

I always shake my head when I read apple news. How can people buy this stuff?