Earthquake

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

valerio

Earthquake

Post by valerio »

You all right, US folks of the Washington/NY zone?
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Re: Earthquake

Post by CaptainPea »

"Entire east coast" zone, from the sound of it, but I live reasonably close to the center and have heard no reports of damage or anything, so I'd venture to guess everyone's doing fine.

Scared me, though. Threw off my schedule, too! Supposed to be working right now.
Image Image
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Yeah, most of us are fine. It wasn't too bad. And yeah, it was roughly the entire east coast.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'm about 70 miles from the center. I'm fine. so is my house. it pays to live in a floating volcano fortress.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I'm hearing it was 5.9? I have no way of judging, but I'll trust that until I hear something else.
Image Image
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Beagle wrote:Everything here in NC is fine. Actually, I've been watching the news all afternoon (because I have nothing better to do), and there were no damages or casualities anywhere in the USA. We just felt a little shake, and the result is the local news going beserk and my Facebook newsfeed is blowing up about it.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Wow, I was awaken from some glass bottles making noise on a flimsy shelf in my room, I figured something like this was up. I felt it from 350 miles away!

These details on the earthquake say it was a 5.8, not a 5.9.
Last edited by Kitela on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I worked through it, wasn't nothin. But people were freaking OUT man.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
QRS3000

Post by QRS3000 »

For a moment, I thought the washer machine was broken. Weird,huh? :? So yeah , I definitely felt it but it wasn't as strong as the 2001 Nisqually earthquake in Washington state when I was there . That one shook the walls in my uncle's home; it was a 6.8 on the moment magnitude scale( MMS is a modern version of the 1930s Richer Scale) This might give you an idea http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... hquake.jpg I know it's Wikipedia. Go ahead, sue me.

I edited this post because I said too much.
Last edited by QRS3000 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

I felt it where I live.
I'm not saying where that is, but it was about an hour and a half (flight time) from where the center point of it was.
5.9 O_O
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

The Earthquake was the first I have ever felt. It was not to long lasting or big, but it did cause our house to shake and made the sound of Thunder when lightning strikes.
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

It annoys me when people make a big fuss about little Earthquakes. I mean, look at the ones that happened in Spain and Japan! Those kind of Earthquakes are the type to get upset about...

England had one a few years back, it shattered my mum's glass tv stand. It was ugly anyway.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

zeldakeeper wrote:It annoys me when people make a big fuss about little Earthquakes. I mean, look at the ones that happened in Spain and Japan! Those kind of Earthquakes are the type to get upset about...

England had one a few years back, it shattered my mum's glass tv stand. It was ugly anyway.
I'm pretty sure the only people who made any deal were the people who live in and around New York City and they kind of have a reason to be a little startled by buildings shaking.

and this is an extremely rare event.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

zeldakeeper wrote:It annoys me when people make a big fuss about little Earthquakes. I mean, look at the ones that happened in Spain and Japan! Those kind of Earthquakes are the type to get upset about...

Just because tragedies exist doesn't mean lesser events don't.

The reason it's news is that it was centered in Virginia, which is not exactly near the top of the list of earthquake zones in the US. It's also the biggest earthquake at least DC has had in over a century.
Kitela wrote:I'm pretty sure the only people who got frightened were the people who live in and around New York City and the kind of have a reason to be a little startled by buildings shaking.
There actually was a little bit of damage closer to the epicenter. Not devastating, but certainly bad news.
And I was frightened! Not for any extended period afterward, because nothing was harmed, but when you've never felt an earthquake before it feels thoroughly unnatural, and I was a bit frustrated that I had no idea what was safe.
Image Image
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Of course, but hours after the earthquake everyone was pretty much calm. From what I know, a 5.8 will knock heavy shelves over and do minor interior damage to buildings near the epicenter. I'm interested in how intense it was in New York and New Jersey.

It's kind of funny how people around here reacted because it was so minor and just cause everything unsteady to gently move.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Kitela wrote:Of course, but hours after the earthquake everyone was pretty much calm.
The only lasting effect was that cell phone lines were down all friggin' day.
Kitela wrote:From what I know, a 5.8 will knock heavy shelves over and do minor interior damage to buildings near the epicenter. I'm interested in how intense it was in New York and New Jersey.
This is the only terrible damage I've seen, but your description sounds right overall.
I think NY got some shakes... not sure, but people clearly noticed it. Help me out, New Yorkers and Jersians.
Kitela wrote:It's kind of funny how people around here reacted because it was so minor and just cause everything unsteady to gently move.
Over where? It might depend on what they thought it was.
I thought it was a helicopter, and then an explosion before earthquake entered my mind.

I would've liked to have been someplace with other people at the time, though, it'd be interesting to see how they react.
Image Image
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Oh, right. I forgot about the cell phone line being down over there. That must of been a little hectic.

I live 350 miles away from the epicenter (some say 450, but they're wrong) and it seem the only people who felt it were those who were in high-rise building in nearby cities 20 - 50 miles away from me.

I really think people would have reacted less if it was more noticeable. I was enjoying my afternoon sleeping in, and I heard bottles on a shelf making noise and I felt a slight movement from my bed, it was weird but my first though was that it was an earthquake from the New Madrid seismic zone, not from Virginia!

Edit: Also, if may have been more intense in high-rise buildings in New York than in some places closer to the epicenter due to how the structures have such deep foundations and how tall they are.
The Grey Wolverine

You know what I find amusing, people in California were criticizing us, for lack of a better term, for '94 Dodge Dart bricks about a weak earthquake. We are not on a fault line, earthquakes do not happen to Massachusetts. I also find it funny how they freak out when they get like a 1/4th of an inch of snow.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Well the reason I made a comment on it was that it is the first one I have ever experienced, and I have been living in the East Coast almost my entire life. It is a very valid topic of discussion for me.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Same hear, Flint. Well... I know there have been other small ones around here but that was the first one I felt.
I don't see where the criticism is coming from. This was a significant event for the whole eastern seaboard, and we don't have the same type of rocky mountains that exist out west that reduces the effects from a 5.8
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Kitela wrote:Same hear, Flint. Well... I know there have been other small ones around here but that was the first one I felt.
I don't see where the criticism is coming from. This was a significant event for the whole eastern seaboard, and we don't have the same type of rocky mountains that exist out west that reduces the effects from a 5.8
I think it's actually the opposite problem; the ground on the west coast is softer than it is in the northeast, so the quake isn't absorbed as well. Mayhaps I'm just confused.

From what I've seen, that criticism is more about a misunderstanding of the reactions, really. I think in general, people's thoughts have been "guys that was an earthquake that was awesome", rather than "what great tragedy has befallen the Atlantic coast, we will never recover from having to stand outside our office building for a few hours". It's one of those things that's scary at first, but because there was no harm, become cool in retrospect.
Image Image
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Something like that.

I'm not really on the east coast so I don't know exactly how the reactions were are over there but really, this probably is about the worst it could have been when it come to earthquakes on the east coast, with 0 people dead and minor damage done to some buildings. The size of the quake was more big of a deal than the causes, really.
The Grey Wolverine

It really boiled down to this, east where I a, "Dude, you feel that earthquake?" "Yah, that was cool." "I know." than people move on.
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

how can I forget? I just got aftershock.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:You know what I find amusing, people in California were criticizing us, for lack of a better term, for **** bricks about a weak earthquake. We are not on a fault line, earthquakes do not happen to Massachusetts. I also find it funny how they freak out when they get like a 1/4th of an inch of snow.
Your right, we don't get many earthquakes here In Massachusetts. I didn't even feel it. But when I went down to CVS (to get an Amazon Gift Card for the housepets book) I was just over hearing what all the buzz is about. Earthquakes are my least concern here. I just hate how much snow we get up in Massachusetts, It's annoying yet beautiful at the same time.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:how can I forget? I just got aftershock.
Tiny 1 AM Aftershocks made me paranoid. I thought my panicked heartbeat was an earthquake a couple times.
ManaWolf wrote:Image
The joke worked better with last year's quake. This one at least most people noticed.
Image Image