Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Reading Thread/Discussion 

Post Re: Reading Thread/Discussion
I have heard about David Wong and read his Cracked.com articles and I was very impressed with them! Maybe I will get the book at one point since he is funny!

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Amazee Dayzee Wrote:
I have heard about David Wong and read his Cracked.com articles and I was very impressed with them! Maybe I will get the book at one point since he is funny!

"And watch out for Molly. See if she does anything unusual. There’s something I don’t trust about the way she exploded and then came back from the dead like that."

Another hilarious book is "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman. Its a semi-sequel to "American Gods" focusing on the sons of the character Mr. Nancy, who is really Anansi the Spider from West African mythology.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Well, after a while of RPing in RV, and staring at this book while I decided read Martin Marten by Brian Doyle, definitely had an interesting view on animal behavior and nature, I enjoyed it. Now I want to read his Mink River story.

Image Image

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:53 pm
Profile WWW

I finished "War of the Worlds" and now I am going to start "The Island of Dr. Moreau".

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:05 pm

After a long time of searching for a good ferret book, finally found a whole series. "Curious Lives: Adventures from the Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach. Love the description they give on the back cover, and the foreword. Guess I'm just a sucker for anything with ferrets, and this author did a pretty great job at describing them and what their 'Ferret Civilization' would be like. Luckily they aren't described as all bad or just some side character like in most stories I've seen...

Image Image

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:05 am
Profile WWW

I just read "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. It gave me a lot to think about. I might need to reread it in order to wrap my mind around it completely.

I have started reading a werewolf novel called "Hour of the Beast" by C. Michael Forsyth. I have only read the first two chapters but its shaping up to be good. It's a murder mystery with werewolves.

I heard about a book series called "Wings of Fire" that I would like to start reading. All the characters are dragons. It looks very interesting and I love stories with non-human characters as the leads.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:43 pm
Bringing Foxy Back

Now with no books to read, I decided to go find a bizarre book to read. The only one on my list Barnes and Noble had was The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami. So I bought that!

It's a bizarrely-formatted book with magical surrealist themes that apparently has a sheep man of some type, and is nominally young adult-friendly but is darker than one would expect from that. Sounds right up my alley! :D

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:38 pm
Profile WWW

I read a ton of Fantasy and SciFi, namely Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy. I have read some great SciFi novels though, namely Dune and Starship Troopers.

Xbox Live ID: Rashall Vetkay

Steam ID: Rashall (same avatar picture as here on the forums)

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:32 pm
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

I've rather taken to murder mysteries.

Recently I read a book called "Bryant and May Investigate White Corridor". Terrific book with a great twist at the end that I didn't see coming. It's about two elderly detectives who have to investigate two murders simultaneously while they're stuck waist-deep in snow on the highway - one with the murderer working their way along the stuck line of cars straight towards the detectives and the other a slain member of their team found in a locked room which they can only work by phone since they can't escape the first murderer due to the deep snow. Quite thrilling and intriguing. I only managed to solve one out of the two murders.

I'm currently reading "The Bishop Goes To The University" which is following a bishop working for the Catholic church who's investigating the murder of a visiting Russian priest in a Chicagoan university. It's fascinating so far since it's not clear what the motive could have been or if the priest was who he seemed to be. I can't wait to see where it goes!

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing Uncle Noob!

[Image links broken. New links coming soon!]

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:45 am
Profile WWW
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

I reread a classic recently.

"Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" by Jules Verne. It was good but not as good as I remembered it. Between bouts of action there were lists of all the sea life that the submarine passed which got boring quickly. And there was a massive plot hole. But it's still worth a read because it's a classic and because it shows some misconceptions and erroneous beliefs from the time at which it was written.

My RP Characters

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:35 am
Profile WWW
Moshpit Addict

Been reading a ton of sci fi short stories and H.P. Lovecraft lately and it's got me in a mood to write short films.

I'm very quickly becoming that guy that is an obnoxious lovecraft fanboy and I'm just gonna roll with it.

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 am

Is it bad form to say I'm reading my own book? :P Hehe. But more seriously, being immersed in the fantasy-writing process, been reading a lot of horror, sci-fi, and fantasy books for inspiration. Currently I'm working my way through Stephen King's IT. Emphasis on working, because this book is BIG! :o

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Nah, not at all!

Welcome, Commander! *salutes* Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Welcome Thread and please feel free to poke any of our staff any time if you have any questions or concerns or even if you feel like chatting!

As to me, I've just finished reading a couple of Temperance Brennan books, the books the Bones tv show is based on. They're very good! I'm also working my way through an anthology of works by Edgar Allan Poe which is creepy. ^^

My RP Characters

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:55 am
Profile WWW
Moshpit Addict

I looove his short story work even though that old gothic horror style can be kinda corny when it's effective it's awesome and just tends to be a really fun read in general, at least IMO. What's your favorite story so far?

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11