Useless Information Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Useless Information Thread

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Goethe couldn't stand the sound of barking dogs and could only write if he had an apple rotting in the drawer of his desk.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Marsupials do not have belly buttons. Because their development happens largely in the pouch and not in the womb, they never develop a large placenta like other mammals, so they also never develop a proper umbilical cord. Also, since they're still in the early stages of development when they're born, the tissue heals very well so at most they'll have a faint scar, if anything is visible at all.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

We have a super small banlist. I mean -really- small.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A female ferret will die if it goes into heat and cannot find a mate.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:A female ferret will die if it goes into heat and cannot find a mate.
Indeed they do. And that's why we recommend spaying them early on.
Foxstar wrote:We have a super small banlist. I mean -really- small.
You're not doing your job then, Fox. :P
Seriously though, it's only like ten people so far, isn't it?

Despite using the metric system for everything else, we Australians still measure our photos in inches. I've no idea why.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

Inches are superior.
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

InDaZone1219 wrote:Inches are superior.
Are you sure about that?
12 inch = 1 foot
3 foot = 1 yard
1,760 yard = 1 mile
63,360 inch = 1 mile
WHO can really calculate with that? And who came up with that and WHY? :D

The metric system is much easier...
10 millimeter = 1 centimeter
10 centimeter = 1 decimeter
10 decimeter = 1 meter
1,000 meter = 1 kilometer
1,000,000 millimeter = 1 kilometer
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm used to the metric system also. I would never be able to calculate all of that. I'm so glad I live in the USA. xD

Though I am curious about how ferrets die if they go into heat without finding a mate.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Render wrote:
Are you sure about that?
12 inch = 1 foot
3 foot = 1 yard
1,760 yard = 1 mile
63,360 inch = 1 mile

10 decimeter = 1 meter
True, it is easier to calculate with metric. But when your speedometer and my speedometer both read 100, my car's going faster. 8-) :lol:

---

In Celcius, comfortable room temperature ranges between 20 and 23 degrees (3 increments versus 5 increments in Fahrenheit: From 68 to 73 degrees). 50 degrees (122 degrees F) is getting close to the edge of what our bodies can stand for an extended period. After that the rest of the thermometer up to the metrically significant 100 mark is useless for human survival because the person reading it would be dead. :P

(This is why I think that Celsius, while good for scientific use, is really impractical for everyday life.) :roll:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

The Celsius system is based on the temperature at which water freezes and the temperature at which it boils. There are one hundred intervals between those two points. 0C = freezing, 100C = boiling. I've no idea what the Fahrenheit system is based on though.

(Yay, I finally learned to spell Fahrenheit right! :P )
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Though I am curious about how ferrets die if they go into heat without finding a mate.
Well, ferrets, once in heat, will remain in heat unless they're bred or spayed. When they're in heat, high levels of oestrogen actually suppress bone marrow causing aplastic anaemia. This means that their marrow isn't producing enough red blood cells which causes a lack of oxygen getting to tissues which can be fatal. Also, the bone marrow suppression means that white blood cells are not being produced so the ferret is much more likely to get an infection and much less able to fight it. Either way, the outcome is not good. It is possible that they might survive however the chances of that are very slim. So, spay your ferrets everyone!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

No US president was an only child
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

*takes notes for his future family*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Douglas Collier wrote:
Render wrote:
Are you sure about that?
12 inch = 1 foot
3 foot = 1 yard
1,760 yard = 1 mile
63,360 inch = 1 mile

10 decimeter = 1 meter
True, it is easier to calculate with metric. But when your speedometer and my speedometer both read 100, my car's going faster. 8-) :lol:

---

In Celcius, comfortable room temperature ranges between 20 and 23 degrees (3 increments versus 5 increments in Fahrenheit: From 68 to 73 degrees). 50 degrees (122 degrees F) is getting close to the edge of what our bodies can stand for an extended period. After that the rest of the thermometer up to the metrically significant 100 mark is useless for human survival because the person reading it would be dead. :P

(This is why I think that Celsius, while good for scientific use, is really impractical for everyday life.) :roll:
Finally, someone else that agrees. Metric works great when measuring distance, not so much with temperature unless you're working with chemicals.

Sort of kind of like how Metric Time doesn't work so well. 100,000 seconds in a day works better than 86,400. However, having 10 hours in a day would be far less practical than having 24.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

Yeah, the metric system is pretty easy to use. Nanometers are my favorite.
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Kitela wrote:Metric works great when measuring distance, not so much with temperature unless you're working with chemicals.
But we mostly use Kelvin when dealing with chemicals. Kelvin works better with stoichiometric equations and such.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just trying to read stoichiometric makes my head hurt. xD
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Stoichiometry comes from the greek words stoicheion (meaning element) and metron (meaning measuring).

Stoichiometry is useful for everything Chemistry related and, if used properly, can help you determine the correct nacho-to-dip ratio so that you don't have any of either left over.

Science.
It helps you dip.
Just an Arc
Deske

Post by Deske »

Do you think I could convince the chemistry teacher in my school to help me find the correct nacho to dip ratio?
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Psssh....

Yes.
Just an Arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You would have to promise him a cut of the nachos and dip.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

deepskycyan wrote:
Kitela wrote:Metric works great when measuring distance, not so much with temperature unless you're working with chemicals.
But we mostly use Kelvin when dealing with chemicals. Kelvin works better with stoichiometric equations and such.
Oh, right. Kelvin.
Celsius is the one that works best for water.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I don't understand how Celsius would be useful for anything, mostly because I'm American. But I also don't understand how someone came up with Fahrenheit. I know it had something to do with starting at 0 but I have no idea what.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Fun fact! You can determine the temperature by observing crickets. By counting the number of chirps crickets chirp in 15 seconds, then adding 37 to that number, you will get an approximation of the outside temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.

@Deske; Like someone said, degrees Celsius is good for measuring the temperature of water, so I'm guessing degrees Celsius is useful in cooking.

@Arcwolf; that was the dumbest and most absurd explanation ever. I dig it.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Cranberries are also called bounce-berries since only the ones that bounce are ripe
Douglas Collier

The miracle fruit, or miracle berry (Synsepalum dulcificum), when consumed, causes sour (acidic) things to taste sweet. Watered-down lemon juice tastes just like lemonade, sour cream tastes like yogurt, unripe strawberries taste like the sweetest strawberries you've ever had, and even vinegar tastes like a sweet and sour steak sauce.

What causes this effect is a glycoprotein called Miraculin (can you guess why it's called that?); Miraculin bonds to the sweet receptors of the tongue and activates them in the presence of low pH. The effect lasts up to an hour.

They sell tablets containing Miraculin online. They're really fun to have when you're hosting a party. :)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm gonna have to go and try to find some of that stuff sometime.

Does it make sweet stuff taste sour?
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Deske wrote:But I also don't understand how someone came up with Fahrenheit. I know it had something to do with starting at 0 but I have no idea what.
0 on the Fahrenheit scale was marked for the temperature at which water with a salty/icy mixture would freeze. 32 is freezing point and 212 (180 degrees down the scale) is the boiling point of water. It's not that practical for many uses besides measuring air temperature on earth (Daytime temperatures in habitable area tend to stay between 0-100 F in most of the world.)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was under the impression Fahrenheit was made just to be practical on a day-to-day basis, before we actually decided to standardize it. I guess not!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

I think it was one of the oldest scales to be officially used. The US is one of the few remaining countries to still use it for almost everything.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

More useless information!

Because of a large orbital eccentricity, Pluto was closer to the sun than Neptune between January 1979 and March 1999.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Douglas Collier wrote:The miracle fruit, or miracle berry (Synsepalum dulcificum), when consumed, causes sour (acidic) things to taste sweet. Watered-down lemon juice tastes just like lemonade, sour cream tastes like yogurt, unripe strawberries taste like the sweetest strawberries you've ever had, and even vinegar tastes like a sweet and sour steak sauce.

What causes this effect is a glycoprotein called Miraculin (can you guess why it's called that?); Miraculin bonds to the sweet receptors of the tongue and activates them in the presence of low pH. The effect lasts up to an hour.

They sell tablets containing Miraculin online. They're really fun to have when you're hosting a party. :)
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. I need, NEED, to order some of these.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:More useless information!

Because of a large orbital eccentricity, Pluto was closer to the sun than Neptune between January 1979 and March 1999.
Shouldn't it happen again in another couple/few centuries?
Kitela wrote:I think it was one of the oldest scales to be officially used. The US is one of the few remaining countries to still use it for almost everything.
Is metric older or newer? I want to have ammo for the people who tell me my country is stupid because we still use Fahrenheit.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I guess it will, but this time around it won't matter since Pluto isn't a planet anymore.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Still fun to see a dwarf planet have a smaller orbit than a real planet.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The oldest person to earn a #1 album in the US is Tony Bennett; at 88 he hit #1 with his and Lady Gaga's album, Cheek to Cheek.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Fahrenheit was created in 1724 and went from the lowest temperature to which he could cool (not freeze) brine to normal body temperature. Modifications have since been made to refine the scale a bit more.

Celsius defines 0 as the freezing point of water and 100 as the boiling point of water which is much more logical in my opinion. The Celsius scale was first proposed in... 1742.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Deske wrote:Is metric older or newer? I want to have ammo for the people who tell me my country is stupid because we still use Fahrenheit.
Fahrenheit is from 1724 and Celsius is from 1742, it was upside down that time, water boiled at 0°C and froze at 100°C, so while it got warmer the temperature sank... The scale was turned around 2 years later.
While Celsius is based on freezing and boiling of water, Fahrenheit's bases are "the lowest temperature to which he (Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit) could reproducibly cool brine" (Wikipedia) = 0°F and the average human body temperature = 96°F. The latter was changed somewhen to 98° what messed with Fahrenheit's idea to have powers of 2 in between the bases 32=2^5 and 64=2^6.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The word "samba" means "to rub navels together."
Douglas Collier

The equation most people use to figure out dog years (7 years to every 1 year) isn't very accurate. A more accurate way to figure out the comparative age of a dog is 15 years for the first year of the dog's life, 10 years for the second, 7 years for the third, and 3 years for every year after that.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So my tiny little Pekinese puppy is 15 instead of 7? God I hate math sometimes.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Now do it for kitties!
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.