Useless Information Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Whozjama

Re: Useless Information Thread

Post by Whozjama »

On that note, Believe - Cher was the first song to use auto-tune. Though they didn't call it that.
I actually liked it! A lot! But then there's this anti-auto-tune sentiment which is understandable.
All your acorns are belong to us.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Orson Welles' last role was the voice of "Unicron" in the 1986 Transformers movie.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Whozjama wrote:On that note, Believe - Cher was the first song to use auto-tune. Though they didn't call it that.
I actually liked it! A lot! But then there's this anti-auto-tune sentiment which is understandable.
Not quite. It was the first song to "abuse" autotune. Autotune was originally created to fix a singer's pitch, and it's still used for that purpose today. But when singers like Cher (and, more contemporarily, T-Pain and friends) used it, they deliberately allowed their pitches to fluctuate beyond the range autotune corrects, giving the robotic staircase-shaped pitches you hear when you think of autotune.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Diet Rite was the first ever diet soda. (1958. Tab - 1963. Diet Pepsi - 1964)
Panda Panda Panda
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That may be true Sleet, but it did give T-Pain a lot of hits in his early days.
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

Sleet wrote:
Whozjama wrote:On that note, Believe - Cher was the first song to use auto-tune. Though they didn't call it that.
Not quite. It was the first song to "abuse" autotune. Autotune was originally created to fix a singer's pitch, and it's still used for that purpose today. But when singers like Cher (and, more contemporarily, T-Pain and friends) used it, they deliberately allowed their pitches to fluctuate beyond the range autotune corrects, giving the robotic staircase-shaped pitches you hear when you think of autotune.
Would it be abuse if they made something people enjoyed though? What about, 'repurposed'.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

The risk of human extinction before the year 2100 is at 19%
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

The Falkland Isles (population of about 2,000) has over 700,000 sheep (350 per person).
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Whozjama wrote:
Sleet wrote:
Would it be abuse if they made something people enjoyed though? What about, 'repurposed'.
I put it in quotes. Heck, most music comes from "abusing" things intended for other purposes. The now-ubiquitous electric guitar sound comes from using amplifiers in an unintended fashion. They originally just existed to make the guitar louder (but still sound acoustic). Didn't exactly work, and we love it for that.

That doubles as an extra piece of useless information!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

While you can buy mistletoe-scented air fresheners, candles and soap, real mistletoe has no discernible smell.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

In June 1947, boxer Sugar Ray Robinson backed out of a fight because he had a dream that he was going to kill his opponent in the ring. After a priest and a minister convinced him to fight, Robinson went into the ring and killed his opponent, Jimmy Doyle.
Panda Panda Panda
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Tattoos have been around for a long time. Ancient Greeks used them to brand spies, Romans used them to mark slaves, M?ori used them as symbols of rank and lineage, and Ainu women were tattooed as a prerequisite for marriage and the afterlife.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I still have my hat and party blower from New Years sitting here next to me. My party hat is on top of the plunger that has also been sitting next to me since New Years.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Why do you have a plunger sitting next to you? :|
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

I would suppose having a plunger at hand and not needing it is many orders better than not having a plunger at hand and needing it.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I suppose one must ask though: Wouldn't the plunger be more useful to have in the bathroom instead of next to the computer? While I'm sure there are many things one can do with a plunger at the computer, the important things it does are best left to the room for bathing in.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"Fancy ketchup" actually refers to the density of the ketchup; it's about 4% denser than "standard ketchup."
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

My plunger has a name, I used to take it places (4th picture down). :mrgreen:

And no Jeff, it is more useful next to my computer.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Care to explain what those important things are Jeff? *snickers*
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

It sits there holding my New Years hat, what could be more useful than that? :lol:
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

There is a Guinnes World Record for the fastest time for a dog to open a non-electric car window. The record is held by Striker from Quebec City and stands at 11.34 seconds.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Three men served as president of the U.S. in 1841: William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, and Martin Van Buren.
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

Canada means 'big village'.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Three men served as president of the U.S. in 1841: William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, and Martin Van Buren.
well that's cause William Henry Harrison served for a month before dying from the pneumonia he caught at his inauguration :P
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Whozjama wrote:Canada means 'big village'.
I always thought the name was decided on by picking letters out of a hat:

C (eh?) N (eh?) D (eh?)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Pennsylvania means Penn's Woods. They couldn't decide weather to name it Penn or Sylvania, so they combined the names.

And that is exactly how Canada's name was chosen. :lol:
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

According to the history minisodes the government used to put on here in Canadia, they apparently got it wrong by assuming the land was called 'Canada' when what they meant was their place of dwelling. They didn't have google translate back then.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Coraline was originally going to be a musical with songs written by the band They Might Be Giants. The only song they made that made it in the film is the other father song.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

There is a moral there people. Don’t give your inaugural address outside when its raining and cold out! Especially in the 19th century!
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Sleet wrote:
Whozjama wrote:
Sleet wrote:Not quite. It was the first song to "abuse" autotune. Autotune was originally created to fix a singer's pitch, and it's still used for that purpose today. But when singers like Cher (and, more contemporarily, T-Pain and friends) used it, they deliberately allowed their pitches to fluctuate beyond the range autotune corrects, giving the robotic staircase-shaped pitches you hear when you think of autotune.
I put it in quotes. Heck, most music comes from "abusing" things intended for other purposes. The now-ubiquitous electric guitar sound comes from using amplifiers in an unintended fashion. They originally just existed to make the guitar louder (but still sound acoustic). Didn't exactly work, and we love it for that.

That doubles as an extra piece of useless information!
On that not, the first synthesizer was intended to mimic and eventually replace operatic voices in compositions.
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wilt Chamberlain was the only NBA center to lead the league in assists.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

GreatKitsune wrote:On that not, the first synthesizer was intended to mimic and eventually replace operatic voices in compositions.
And the mellotron was originally advertised as if it could let you play fancy stuff without actually knowing how to play an instrument.

Which is actually a pretty terrible thing to advertise if you know how mellotrons work. :P
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Mellotrons were super clunky and very sensitive to humidity due to their magnetic strips which would play the recording of the instrument it was trying to mimic.
Just an Arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Former president Gerald Ford wasn't always gray-haired and paunchy — in his college days, he worked as a male model, and even appeared on the cover of Cosmopolitan.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

MIPS, the bunny from Super Mario 64, was originally only meant to be used for game testing, but the developers loved him so much they made sure he had a (much smaller) place in the final game.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Panama hats are made in Equador.
Hello, low order beings!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A gun with a silencer attached sounds about as loud as a car door being slammed. It’s much quieter than the usual “bang!” but it’s not as subtle as the little “whoosh” heard in James Bond films.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

More than 60% of the world's population drives on the right side of the road.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

In the original book that How to Train Your Dragon was based on, Toothless was a small dragon.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The word "sex" was mentioned once on an episode of The Brady Bunch. Which potty-mouth said it? Cousin Oliver, in one of the show's final episodes.