TGWTG, Cinemassacre and Review Sites Discussion

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

ElementalHero

TGWTG, Cinemassacre and Review Sites Discussion

Post by ElementalHero »

Since there are some That Guy With The Glasses viewers on this site, I figured we could have a discussion not just for the site but other review sites like James Wolfe's aka Angry Video Game Nerd Cinemassacre and even ones that were taken down like the sadly gone Spill.com (I hate Hollywood.com)

And it's interesting to start it now as both Nostalgia Critic and Linkara just released their reviews as NC reviews a recent film in the M. Night Shamalan/ Will Smith stinker, "After Earth" and Linkara celebrates his 300th episode with Frank Miller's controversial, terribly drawn, poorly written and extremely bigoted comic, "Holy Terror".

WARNING: The Majority of these review might contain material that can be offensive in nature at times to certain viewers.
(Thanks to Crimson and RandomGeekNamedBrent for bringing this concern up)

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... fter-earth

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... th-episode
Last edited by ElementalHero on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In The Name Of The Moon, I Will Punish Yo........ Oops! Wrong Superhero!
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Re: TGWTG, Cinemassacre and Review Sites Discussion

Post by Jacey »

Due to the nature of the nostalgia critic. It might be best to warn that his videos are not always "family Friendly" and have at times (very rarely) gone beyond the pg-13 rating (based on current PG13 films he pushes the "limit" so to speak). The other reviewers linked with him can be a mixed bag.

Not bashing your idea, just felt like it might be best to set off a warning that content for that site can be offensive in nature at times to certain viewers.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Yeah, from what I've seen of the videos, they should be fine to link as long as you give a warning beforehand.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
ElementalHero

Post by ElementalHero »

Crimson wrote:Due to the nature of the nostalgia critic. It might be best to warn that his videos are not always "family Friendly" and have at times (very rarely) gone beyond the pg-13 rating (based on current PG13 films he pushes the "limit" so to speak). The other reviewers linked with him can be a mixed bag.

Not bashing your idea, just felt like it might be best to set off a warning that content for that site can be offensive in nature at times to certain viewers.
Good point, I'll add that in the thread.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Moved to Media Median

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
ElementalHero

Post by ElementalHero »

diss & shun wrote:Moved to Media Median
Oh, okay.

But wow, that Holy Terror review, I mean wow.
ElementalHero

Post by ElementalHero »

Nostalgia Critic has something to say about Transformers 4 and Michael Bay.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... sformers-4

WARNING: This video contains material that can be offensive in nature at times to certain viewers.[/color]
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

I like this site, with my favorite reviewers being Nostalgia Critic, Nostalgia Chick, Diamanda Hagan (and she has to live with that every day), and JesuOtaku.
What is everyone's favorite reviews? I think Hagan's Thomas and the Magic Railroad review is my favorite.
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Mr. Coat from That Fellow in the Coat talks about the hand-drawnification of computer animation.

http://www.thatfellowinthecoat.com/coat ... cation.php

----

Update: After a year hiatus, Linkara has made a History of Power Rangers video with Operation Overdrive.

http://atopthefourthwall.com/history-of ... overdrive/
ElementalHero

Post by ElementalHero »

What do you guys think of TGWTG moving to a new site called Channel Awesome?
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

My favorite online critic is Cecil Trachenburg of "Good Bad Flicks"

www.youtube.com/user/trachenburg

www.goodbadflicks.com/

Even though he does tear some films apart that deserve it, he shows all of them some level of respect and gives in depth analysis and research in each review.

An example of a film that was rightly torn apart was the re-make of "The Wicker Man".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fIOWFGDdm8

A movie that he loves and praises is the classic horror film "Phantasm".

He also does editorials on subjects like the MPAA rating system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-NeJRrgoTY

and why Hollywood can't seem to make a decent video game or comic book movie adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZ9s3Aof4w
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I love both Cinemassacre and TGWTG. I found out about Cinemassacre before TGWTG. Forget how I found out about Cinemassacre, something to do with the AVGN. I found out about TGWTG when I was trying to write a story, and someone told me not to make it as bad as the animated Titanic movies. he then provided links to both, and those were the first videos I watched on that site.

I do believe that TGWTG has gotten slightly worse when they shut down that site and moved everything to Channel Awesome. I believe that 4 pages listing every video relating to the Nostalgia Critic ever made is better than the current 36 pages listing all the thumbnails with about 10 videos per page. I find the old layout much easier. At least I hardly looked at the actual website, just use it to see the reviews I should watch on YouTube.

To think that in 2009, the only thing on Channel Awesome was a link to TGWTG website.
ElementalHero

Post by ElementalHero »

dtlux1 wrote:I love both Cinemassacre and TGWTG. I found out about Cinemassacre before TGWTG. Forget how I found out about Cinemassacre, something to do with the AVGN. I found out about TGWTG when I was trying to write a story, and someone told me not to make it as bad as the animated Titanic movies. he then provided links to both, and those were the first videos I watched on that site.

I do believe that TGWTG has gotten slightly worse when they shut down that site and moved everything to Channel Awesome. I believe that 4 pages listing every video relating to the Nostalgia Critic ever made is better than the current 36 pages listing all the thumbnails with about 10 videos per page. I find the old layout much easier. At least I hardly looked at the actual website, just use it to see the reviews I should watch on YouTube.

To think that in 2009, the only thing on Channel Awesome was a link to TGWTG website.
My one gripe with the old website and the only thing that approved in the new one was the log in, I remember it was quite an annoyance to log in to the old site so you could leave comments under the videos as it tends to give me an error message before it finally logged me in, not having that trouble with the new site.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

ElementalHero wrote: My one gripe with the old website and the only thing that approved in the new one was the log in, I remember it was quite an annoyance to log in to the old site so you could leave comments under the videos as it tends to give me an error message before it finally logged me in, not having that trouble with the new site.
I never had a problem with that, as I never had an account, but I can see where that would be a problem.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

If you're a fan of animation, I highly recommend checking out ElectricDragon505 (or more commonly known as Animat) on both youtube and thatfellowinthecoat.com. His most well known videos are his Animation Lookback videos where he does retrospectives on either animation studios (like Disney or Dreamworks), well known animators (like Don Bluth) or certain types of animation (like his most recent animation lookback "The Best of Stop Motion")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxP5OA ... 0B2W0lvZaQ

http://thatfellowinthecoat.com/animelookback.php

http://thatfellowinthecoat.com/animat.php
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I have to be honest. Usually, the only part of Channel Awesome I pay any attention to is Todd in the Shadows.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I tend to follow specific series, but not entire sites/creators.

For example:
I like Nostalgia Critic but find pretty much everything else Doug does boring/annoying.
I like HOPR, but find the rest of Atop The Fourth Wall dull. (Probably because Jen & Karone are my favorite rangers ever, but I'm not really into superhero comics...)
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.