Do You Play Guitar?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

thrasherblades

Re: Do You Play Guitar?

Post by thrasherblades »

Hahaha ya got me there Sleety.

Well but really, if you guys would like lessons (mostly on metal,shred, acoustic playing...) I'll be willing to help y'all, even organize Skype lessons as well ;)
HP Universe's Furry Guitarist LEHUSKEH. I offer lessons exclusively on Skype. PM if interested ;)
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

You know, I'm going to have to learn how to actually play a song and record it. Especially since I might be getting a brand new acoustic guitar that normally costs about $700-$800 for only $200. If I get it, I'll probably never stop playing it. (Well, maybe I exaggerate. I would have to sleep sometime. :roll: )

I hope I can get good enough one day to maybe make a little money on the side by playing.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Its good that you have an objective planned out and that's great. The next step is to set your "guitar time". When i was younger I would rush home from school just to practice for about 4-5 hours day. You need to be focused and have as little disruptions as possible, depending on the goals you have set for yourself.

You're prolly freaked out about the hours i put in (or not). But I can safely say that its better to be focused even for half an hour and have some progress than to practice for many hours but with no defined goal and your attention constantly shifting to other things. ;)

Good luck :)

Edit:
Did another video guys!! xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm3Au_ks ... nQ&index=1

Mod Edit: Please don't double post. If your post is the most recent and you wish to add something, please use the edit button in the upper right corner.
Last edited by JeffCvt on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HP Universe's Furry Guitarist LEHUSKEH. I offer lessons exclusively on Skype. PM if interested ;)
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Sleet wrote:How 'bout Em? :P

Or the So What chord? *giggles*
That is truly the beginner's dream chord Sleet :D
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Onlythebassist wrote:Chords are just a matter of experimenting - the basic ones such as C, D, G and Am should be those you should tackle first.

E -0-------E -2-------E -3--------E -0
B -1-------B -3-------B -0--------B -1
G -0-------G -2-------G -0-------G -2
D -2-------D -0-------D -0-------D -2
A -3-------A -X-------A -2-------A -0
E -X-------E -X-------E -3-------E -X

C----------D----------G---------Am

Key
Number = Fret number (from open string - 0)
X = Don't play this string

Ultimate Guitar.com is the best free online resource to help learn new chords, techniques and songs. But if you wanted a more in-depth view (eg. To be able to apply chords to music theory), I'd recommend buying a chord book from a music store like Guitar Center. Lots of chords with finger positioning as well; eventually with some practice you can form pre-memorized chords naturally thanks to muscle memory :D

For guitar tabs i often recommend either Guitar World or Alfred music. Because i notice that fan made tabs are often wrong and such,compared to official tab books. I swear most people who put up fan made guitar tabs don't listen to the songs.
Spens

Post by Spens »

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD!?

I play guitar, oh lordy do I play guitar.

My current collection consists of a Washburn 332 Dimebag, a Gibson Flying V, an Alvarez acoustic, a Marshall JCM2000DSL tube half-stack, a Morely Mark Tremonti power wah, a cheap knockoff P-bass, and an Epiphone SG bass.

Oh yea, and metal. A lot of it...and the occasional not quite so metal song.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I play guitar... Badly! :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Spens

Post by Spens »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I play guitar... Badly! :lol:
Hey, you gotta start somewhere.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Even Jimi Hendrix sucked at guitar at one point.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Sleet wrote:Even Jimi Hendrix sucked at guitar at one point.
This. Even Pat Smear,the guitarist from the Germs and Foo Fighters sucked,but now he plays guitar good.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Are you implying that suggesting that Pat Smear sucked should be more shocking than the fact that Jimi Hendrix sucked? :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Sleet wrote:Are you implying that suggesting that Pat Smear sucked should be more shocking than the fact that Jimi Hendrix sucked? :P
No.
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Spens wrote:HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD!?

My current collection consists of a Washburn 332 Dimebag, a Gibson Flying V, an Alvarez acoustic, a Marshall JCM2000DSL tube half-stack, a Morely Mark Tremonti power wah, a cheap knockoff P-bass, and an Epiphone SG bass.

AHMAHGAWD I thought I was ze only metal head here!! xD Nice gear ya got :D

And nice love song there ya got going on. xD
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey, I like metal!

I just, yaknow, can't play it on a guitar.
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

thrasherblades wrote:

I'm a metalhead as well. I even remember when metal was around on TV and radio,during the 80's and early 90's.
Spens

Post by Spens »

thrasherblades wrote:

I thought the same thing. Guess metalheads just flock to the same spots.

Also, that's not a love song. If you listen to the words, it's more about those super judgmental types in church. I've had a few too many run-ins with those.
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

im running a 2010 epiphone sg, cheapo strat (first guitar), 1963 eko barrachuda and a 2005 epiphone 1275 double neck sg. All those through a marshall 100 watt valvestate. life is gooooood :)
Any problem can be solved with the correct application of pressure to a stupid person’s face.

thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

Deuce wrote:im running a 2010 epiphone sg, cheapo strat (first guitar), 1963 eko barrachuda and a 2005 epiphone 1275 double neck sg. All those through a marshall 100 watt valvestate. life is gooooood :)
Hahaha judging from that Doubleneck SG I take it you're a fan of Jimmy Page?

Post by 0404 »

Onlythebassist wrote:
Sleet wrote:there's no such thing as a "safe" electric bass solo.
I beg to differ ;) Love Buzz by Nirvana. 2:20 to 3:01. Learn it! Learn it like I did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YPXLL0dbfk
I did it! I did it! I did it!
I played bass solo for Green onion today! :3 at our local downtown park mallish place.
Though, it's a relatively easy piece, so less risk there.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Hi.

I can strum strings to make sounds too!
Just an Arc
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Congrats, Texas!

I'm gonna have to get new strings for my bass soon. If I'm gonna start this new band, I want my sound to be clear and vivid. My current strings are fraying a bit and that mutes it a little.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I very much do, Its my main instrument at this point.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

now THIS is a thread! :D

I've been a musician of one form or another for most of my life, and a songwriter for the last 13-14ish years. The electric guitar was always one of my favourite instruments to listen to but whenever I thought about learning it I was like "aaww, I could never do that".
At least, till the end of 2017 when I finally realized how stupid I was being :lol:

So now I've got an SG Standard that I main (and a cheap Ibanez for a backup when it's not available). I've only been playing for two and a half years now, so I'm certainly not the greatest at it, but I've never had so much fun recording songs, or even just learning something in general.
It's nothing too expensive on the amp side of things either... but I certainly have found it better to have a physical one than to run it through a computer. The few times I did that for one reason or another, even though the latencies were small they were still enough to mess up someone who's always been used to playing physical keyboards.

At the end of the day, for me there's no better way of learning than just making something, and then making something better, and then making something even better, ad infinitum.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Double cut is probably my favorite model of guitar. So naturally I also love SGs. I personally use a Peavey Session. It's sold as a "workmans" guitar. It has a feature to switch from single coil to humbucker pickups by pulling or pushing the volume and tone knobs.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Yah, mine's got that too. Don't use it much, 'cause a super-distorted sound is more usually my thing, but once in a while it's come in handy.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I remember your sound. It's very niche from what I remember. But unique process!
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I picked up a seven-string the other day :twisted:
Have been vaguely saving up for one over the last six months, but what with the covid lockdown forcibly reducing my spending on other things, and the occasional government subsidy for healthcare workers, I was able to save up a good deal faster than I had expected, and I found a really nice Jackson at a shop called Long & McQuade (Canadian chain which I don't think has expanded down south) when I went to get some maintenance done on my SG.

It's a nice feeling to be able to get something from my wishlist a little early, it sounds and feels great to play (barring finger pain on that seventh string! :D ), and I've already got a chance to use it on a track.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Nice man. I'm happy you got what you wanted. I've always wanted a PRS myself. One day though. anyways, kudos!