What made you start drawing?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Re: What made you start drawing?

Post by Foxstar »

I started drawing back in 2011 because I came onto a local furry artist who was drawing at the school that I was attending. She was fantastic and so I bought a pen and a pad and started drawing. We started spending a good bit of time with each other, seeing each other at least once or twice a week, during which we would draw wild life and other things. This so motvated me that I decided to take drawing one at the school that I was attending that fall. But something happened and one day she just stopped speaking to me. I don't quite know why other then she warned me she sometimes does that to people. This of course killed my drive to draw, but I kept on drawing anyway and took the art class during the Fall semester. But unlucky for me, I just didn't have the drive that I used to have when I had a local teacher and so my will to draw faded more and more till finally I just quit. Months afterwards, I signed onto my DA to find a message from her, in which she sort of said 'sorry' for vainishing on me. But it was too late. I replied back, removed her from my watch list and haven't drawn from that time on.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

I've always had tremendous respect for artists, (minus that cube stuff) and when I started listening to music again years ago, I guess my curiosity started to pick up again just slightly. IO became interested in album art, "mascot" art (i.e. The Deathbat, etc) and I just got more and more curious. Then, two years ago, while attending a military academy for my senior year of high school; a kid named Pan became REALLY popular in our building because of how good of an artist he was, ( for Spirit Day he did the schools Crest
FREEHAND and drew the circles PERFECTLY as well as everything else, and this was on a flag that we hung for all to see. In Fact, This is him:
In back, looking down, holding the trophy)
He really amazed me and I started "doodling" when I had time, and then going back and working on the "doodles" every chance I got until I got a new idea, which I would draw, improve, and still work on any past drawings if they needed it. I then started waiting until free time and putting in more work and just working on a picture once or maybe twice. Then the semester ended and I had a free period I needed to fill right after music class and lunch on my B days and I ultimately chose art (guess why : ) and there I continued to improve, but at a faster pace. Then the opportunity to participate in a skateboard design contest was announced, and without a design, I signed up. one day after walking out of art class, and halfway to my next class I got the idea for THIS drew it out on some of that clear wax artists paper stuff eventually transferred it to my board when I got it, consulted my teacher about the colors (I thought about paints, she recommended artists crayons, which were WAY easier than the other would have been and turned out much better, I finally finished it, and while walking to give the board to a teacher of mine who would then pass the board on to the contest organizer, as he was not available ATM, but on the way got stopped 6 TIMES by at least 18 kids/groups of kids so they could look at the board, and they were all amazed and complemented me greatly, from the ones wop were my BFs to those who hated me for no reason, to those who didn't know me very well, and YOU HAVE NO IDEA how amazing that made me feel. It only got better when I won the online portion of the contest (Pan, the kid who inspired me to start drawing won the part where the owner of the skate shop/board suppler came in and looked at the boards in person) and won 30$ on certificates to an Italian place ~5 minutes down the road :).
I just kept going from there.

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Boredom :P
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

yes, much of this too :)

HP! Messenger
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Well actually to be fair it wasn't all just from boredom that made me start. A lot of it was actually because of an anime series called wolf's rain. The series was great, but after the ending I thought their would be a second season, or at least a movie, but nothing was made after the first season. Which I thought was kinda wrong to the fans and to the story it's self. So I thought it would be cool to try and make a second season, a Manga, but after trying to contact bones and hours of googling I don't think it's possible. I still have hope though.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

*wishes yo9u luck*

HP! Messenger
jrodsqod

Post by jrodsqod »

I've been able to draw since I was very little, but only started to expand themes and stuff around the 3rd grade. I grew up watching tons of Disney movies as well as Peanuts TV specials, and I thought it would absolutely cool to try my hand at cartooning. My classmates loved it and I've never turned back :D
Around the 6th grade I began a comic series, which started out as a small funny strip, but then exploded into a huge storyline within the next year or so. I literally wrote over 200 pages of storyline, which I planned to turn into a graphic novel once I had the means. (software, college classes, coding skills, etc.)
When I was in the middle of character development, I suddenly had this crazy idea to make my characters animals. So I did. My friends and family thought it was awesome and hilarious, as well as cute. So that's what I did.
Only recently did I find out that there's an entire fandom dedicated to the style of characters I enjoy drawing. Quite frankly it was overwhelming, but I find it cool that there are others who enjoy that style as much as I do.
:D
Stan Collier

Post by Stan Collier »

A website that no longer exists made by Lazywolf with a top 100 werewolf pictures link. Got me into werewolves and art.
I like shorts. Shorts are comfy. Do you like shorts?

http://jmillart.deviantart.com/
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

Well...it all started with Blue's clues. I started drawing ever since I picked up a pencil and improved ever since. I started to take art classes with my neighbor, who is a really talented artist, and everything started to take off from there. I started taking the classes in first grade and started to draw professionally in 3rd grade. In middle school, I started to draw a lot with high schoolers and college kids. One time, I sculpted spilling milk and cookies with clay in my 3rd grade school art class and my art teacher made me show the principal. Drawing has become a passion of mine with pencil, pen, and pastel. To be honest, I hate drawing on anything digital. Idk why. I now know everything from renaissance artists to proper shading techniques...and it all started with Blue's clues.
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Well, I've been drawing since preschool (I used watercolors), but the first thing I can distinctly remember drawing was a three-dimensional truck in kindergarten. I was probably the only first-grader who know the meaning of the word "symmetrical". :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Boredom, random inspiration, and a longing to be unique. I don't get enough personal time to draw though. Also, I'm not great at using computer programs. I prefer hand drawing as I can get the lines to be how I want them.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Stan Collier

Post by Stan Collier »

Douglas Collier wrote:Well, I've been drawing since preschool (I used watercolors), but the first thing I can distinctly remember drawing was a three-dimensional truck in kindergarten. I was probably the only first-grader who know the meaning of the word "symmetrical". :P
Smart first grader! Nice!
I like shorts. Shorts are comfy. Do you like shorts?

http://jmillart.deviantart.com/
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

I've picked it up recently, and I guess I draw okay for my skill level.
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

I actually want to try to learn to draw manga/anime style. That art style is just so awesome. And for whoever said they got inspiration from Wolf's Rain, that was one of the best shows I have ever watched. I liked it so much, I actually cried during the last couple of episodes.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.