My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JeffCvt

Re: My Little Pony

Post by JeffCvt »

Penwrite wrote:definitely of a different kind than Tirek or Queen Chrysalis.
I'm glad they didn't go for another Tirek or Chrysalis this time around. Starlight Glimmer may not be big and flashy, but I think she's going to make one heck of an arc for this season.

I duno how I feel about the magical map though. I don't have a problem with it as a plot device, but I'm afraid they're going to overuse it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

That opener was pretty darn enjoyable. :D I loved seeing that glimmer of hope when those ponies openly admitted to their wanting to have their cutie marks back.
All your acorns are belong to us.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really liked the decrease in scale. I went nuts over the season 4 finale, but I do not want that to be a trend. I'm fine with the show being more about friendship and less about epic magical battles. Especially because it means villains can be defeated without deus ex machina rainbow friendship lasers. I loved the creepy Orwellian cult vibe of that village. A lot of the creepiness of it probably went over kids' heads, too.

One thing that's worth bringing up is how realistic a villain Starlight Glimmer is. She has real motivations, isn't just mindlessly evil, and best of all, didn't make arrogant mistakes. She did just about everything right. She didn't lose to her own arrogance or carelessness. She lost to the honest-to-God power of friendship.

Also, Applejack losing her countryisms was hilarious.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

My favorite part was Party Favor's talent. his binoculars made him pretty much a male Pinkie. :lol:
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I'll have to wait to see it because I don't have television right now. Maybe if it is posted online somewhere. Also, I'm a little weary about equality being presented as something negative.

I just read a stack of MLP comics getting caught up on those. I read the King Sombra issue of "Fiend-ship is Magic" and it was really good. I am sure that they could have told more of a story if they had more than one issue to do so. It reminded me of the fan film "A Tale of One Shadow" and reflects a lot of head canon, that Sombra was trapped by fate and his own weakness, and the only person who loved him and could have saved him could not. I've always thought of him as a tragic figure and this confirms it. Its too bad they said they would not bring him back in the show. I think he had a lot more story potential.

I really liked the wrestling story with Cheerilee and her sister. Jay Fosgitt's art is perfect for a story about something as over the top as pro wrestling.

"Friends Forever" with Applejack and Mayor Mare was really good. I like the maze they threw in. Seeing AJ getting frustrated by the absurd labyrinth on bureaucracy and then learning from the mayor that running a municipality, even one as small as Ponyville, is not easy. Although with constant monster attacks, natural disasters and despots taking over the town it obviously can't be.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I must say, equality is certainly a good issue for the ponies to tackle. It teaches folks that equality isn't really the solution to the world's problems. It's all a lot more complicated than that.

There's obvious hints that Starlight Glimmer has some trauma in her past that she's trying to resolve by teaching Equestria her view of a perfect world. The fact that they left it open for her to be a recurring villain for season 5 will make things very interesting. Hopefully as the Mane 6 foils her plans more and more they'll wear away at her psychological barriers and we'll find out what that trauma was.
Radio Blue Heart

Also wanted to add this.

Was he born bad?
-Virgil
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

The Blue Fox wrote:I must say, equality is certainly a good issue for the ponies to tackle. It teaches folks that equality isn't really the solution to the world's problems. It's all a lot more complicated than that.
I can see a lot of people taking issue with that. Too many like the buzzword "equality", but it's not all it's cracked up to be. The best world is the one where everyone has the opportunity to be the best they can be, not where everyone gets exactly the same.
Radio Blue Heart

What Glimmer wanted was conformity, not equality. Those things are never the same.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the episode wasn't a knock on the concept of equality. It's the idea of enforcing equality by refusing to be yourself and express your gifts.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This episode was pretty good, I enjoyed the song and how they used the Golden Oaks library was intresting and unexpected. Spike and Twilight at the Spa was fun as well. Overall it was highly enjoyable, even if the main 5 had to act a bit silly at first. Also those memory gems were really cool.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You'd think they'd have learned in season 1 that they should never, ever trust their design visions. :P

I'm curious why it was so hard to just tell Twilight the truth. "Hey, we need a little more time. Why not just take a little extra time with Spike and not spend thousands of bits on distractions?"

I can't wait to see the rest of the castle in future episodes!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

This is the first season where I work as a contributor to a pop culture news/reviews/opinion site, and writing reviews on these episodes has really heightened my appreciation for their quality and the work the staff puts into them. So far this season has been just top-notch.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

I'm loving the new season's tone and direction...
The Blue Fox wrote:There's obvious hints that Starlight Glimmer has some trauma in her past that she's trying to resolve by teaching Equestria her view of a perfect world. The fact that they left it open for her to be a recurring villain for season 5 will make things very interesting. Hopefully as the Mane 6 foils her plans more and more they'll wear away at her psychological barriers and we'll find out what that trauma was.
Anyone notice that she had alot of similarities with Trixie, including the cutie-mark? It's as if she has Trixie's natural talent, but she went down a COMPLETELY different path...
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

Having the roots suspended up there was a pretty nice touch I must say. I didn't expect it, and it was actually a nice touch. Good episode.
Radio Blue Heart

This is how the Season Premier should have ended!

"Come. It is time to keep your appointment with The Wicker Pony!"
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I liked the new episode! More Luna is always a good thing. :3

Also, that nightmare where Apple Bloom's cutie mark isn't an apple? Yikes. That's gonna sting to watch for some people. :(
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Was it me or did Luna have a different voice actor? She sounded so different to me that at first I thought that she was just a figment of Applebloom's dream and not the real one.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Yeah, she sounded a little more Rarityish than usual.

And speaking of voices, I don't know about anyone else, but I could really tell Apple Bloom's voice actress has gotten older.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Penwrite wrote:Yeah, she sounded a little more Rarityish than usual.
I honestly didn't notice but apparently a few people did, so it must have just been me being inattentive.
Penwrite wrote:And speaking of voices, I don't know about anyone else, but I could really tell Apple Bloom's voice actress has gotten older.
Well of course. but it's not like the show is pretending that Applebloom isn't getting older too. they have had character birthdays.

though it seems like the time in show is going significantly slower than the real world. Pinkie Pride has Dash celebrating her birthday and anniversary of when she came to ponyville, apparently different from any other birthday she's had. meaning either the writers didn't think things through or season 4 is less than a year after the start of season 1. the former was what I thought before but now this season we're apparently getting an episode about the grand galloping gala. either the show skipped over a few Galas or season 5 is a year after the end of season 1. so it seems only about a year, give or take, has passed in Equestria over the course of the 5 seasons. then again, it's possible that since equestria isn't actually earth, a year lasts considerably longer.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not sure there's any time that elapses in a meaningful sense. Nobody ages, though time passes.

Cartoon time, basically.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Today was the most feelsy feel to ever feels.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:it seems like the time in show is going significantly slower than the real world. Pinkie Pride has Dash celebrating her birthday and anniversary of when she came to ponyville, apparently different from any other birthday she's had. meaning either the writers didn't think things through or season 4 is less than a year after the start of season 1. the former was what I thought before but now this season we're apparently getting an episode about the grand galloping gala. either the show skipped over a few Galas or season 5 is a year after the end of season 1. so it seems only about a year, give or take, has passed in Equestria over the course of the 5 seasons. then again, it's possible that since equestria isn't actually earth, a year lasts considerably longer.
Sleet wrote:I'm not sure there's any time that elapses in a meaningful sense. Nobody ages, though time passes.

Cartoon time, basically.
would cartoon time account for there apparently being no winter between May the Best Pet Win ( and probably also Winter wrap-Up) and today's episode?

though my theory hits a snag when you remember Hearth's Warming Eve happened after Dash got Tank, so either those episodes weren't in chronological order or the writers just forgot about it :P

Dash's song wasn't as great as i was hoping her first solo song (as a pony) would be, but I'm glad they kept at least a slightly more rock feel to it. not as rocky as her part in At the Gala, but whatever.

and finally
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So, anyone else think the slippers were the CUTEST THING?

I squeed so hard.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

To be honest, I didn't really like this latest episode. I know Dashie cares about her pet an' all, but to go to such extreme lengths just to spend time with it? She even SAYS she knows what she's doing is wrong at one point.

And all the crying at the end seems like one big overreaction. I kind of expected the ponies to tell Dash she's being utterly ridiculous.

This feels very much like the most pointless episode created so far.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

The Blue Fox wrote:And all the crying at the end seems like one big overreaction.
Well, yeah. but chances are this episode was a stand in for one about dealing with the loss of a loved one. the reactions were too extreme for the temporary loss in the episode, but perfectly reasonable for a more permanent loss. chances are they wanted to address this without having to kill a character, but the message if Dash just accepted it, or the others told her she was overreacting, the message wouldn't have fit as well

Dr. Wolf on Youtube even points out that Dash goes through the 5 stages of Grief: Denial at the beginning when she says tortoises don't hibernate, Anger when everyone tells her they do, Bargaining when she tries to stop winter in exchange for Tank not hibernating, depression in the crying scene, and acceptance at the end. and then she buries him.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:the reactions were too extreme for the temporary loss in the episode, but perfectly reasonable for a more permanent loss.

Right. People seem to forget that this is a little kids show that caught on to adults, not the other way around. :roll:

While it still does present very well to people above the targeted age range, it is still written with the actual targeted age range in mind.

And I personally liked the song. It's about time Dash had one to herself.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Augh! I forgot to mention the slippers in my professional review of the episode!

D:

Oh well. I really loved this episode. I thought the crying worked fine. RD always goes to the extreme when it comes to things she cares about, and then Fluttershy is incredibly empathic as always, and then we all know Rarity gets extreme when it comes to crying on beds. And as for Pinkie, well... she's right, Fluttershy crying is heartbreaking. :P

Also, did anyone else notice/love the homage to Abbot & Costello's "Who's On First" skit?
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Penwrite wrote:Also, did anyone else notice/love the homage to Abbot & Costello's "Who's On First" skit?
That shall forever be known as the "Cloudsdale" accent. I loved it. The skit was great too. I can only imagine how often that actually happens.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That episode was great, it was the best way they could have dealt with something that heavy as that in a show like this. Love the check out of RDs song best of the season so far IMO.

The references were unexpected and awsome. Really liked the whose on first skit. And I didn't see the Grinch or Game of Thrones references coming. It was also nice to see Spikes room, and therefore more of the castle as a result.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The new episode was not bad! Nothing particularly remarkable, but I like how a show is willing to teach kids the lesson of "just because you want to do it doesn't mean you're cut out for it." Kinda a tougher pill to swallow than what most kids' shows offer!
Radio Blue Heart

I liked it. Trouble Shoes just had to be shown that he wasn't a loser. Just because you fail at something doesn't mean you need to give up. Just find a different path.

Also it was nice to see Braeburn again in a speaking role.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

It was a decent episode. Probably my least-favorite from this season so far, but still fun. Trouble Shoes was great, surprisingly adorable for such a big guy.

Kinda sad thought, though. He would've loved Starlight Glimmer's town.
Radio Blue Heart

The shipping has begun!!!

-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So it has.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I am surprisingly okay with this, lol.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

hey, if the horseshoe fits :P
*shamelessly ships Bubbleshoes*
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

He seems too old for her.

But "Bubbleshoes" is a great name.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:He seems too old for her.
I dunno, I'd say she's probably in her early twenties like the Mane Six are, and he's probably either late twenties or early thirties. of course those guesses could be way off, in which case you're right. or even more wrong cause there is no age difference. who knows.
Sleet wrote:But "Bubbleshoes" is a great name.
I know, right? is anyone else using it? cause I just came up with it there.
If not, spread it
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

He looks a lot different compared to the other adult ponies, like a different style was injected into the cartoon. This episode doesn't seem to stand out compared to the others is what all lot of what I've heard. But! Braeburn! So cute <3