My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Sleet »

I disagree. I like the MLP universe without injecting death and violence into it!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:I disagree. I like the MLP universe without injecting death and violence into it!
I kind of agree, at least when it comes to Horror Movie style violence. Its just if you take that too far you get what I complained about in that little rant about some fan works a little bit back; (notably seen in Human in Equestria works) where everything is super sanitized and the MLP world is basically perfect. Which IMO is just as bad if not worse.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's animation alone doesn't mean it should subject to violence and death. I found it silly when some moments where they got kung-fu crazy, but it is funny when they vocally start sounding threatening. Take a look at Rarity and Fluttershy for example. >.>
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

Do any of you notice that sometimes two episodes will usually concern the same character. Like right now we're about to have an episode dedicated to Rainbow Dash and the last episode concerned her a great deal. Is this coincidence or designed

I don't get why Scootaloo wasn't RD's sister in the first place. SB and AB both have sisters. Seems like they thought of this camping trip episode a long time ago.

Do any of you wonder how each pony actually got the job that they have now. Pinkie's parent's where rock farmers (whatever the heck that is) and now she works alongside bakers. Rarity's parent's are common folk but now she runs a fashion shop in a house of her own.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:I disagree. I like the MLP universe without injecting death and violence into it!
I'm indiferent if a main character dies or not. But MLP FiM had deaths before. Remember in the valentine episode with the FUNERAL!
As long as it has angtsy I'm okay with it (I know the show has some angtsy, but it has little. and yes. I know many people would rather this show to remain upbeat. That's just my taste for stories)
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
exranio

Post by exranio »

JohnWillow wrote: I don't get why Scootaloo wasn't RD's sister in the first place. SB and AB both have sisters. Seems like they thought of this camping trip episode a long time ago.
Probably to avoid being seeming really contrived or something like that. I mean sure "Why arn't they sisters" is a fine question, "But also why should they be?" To keep pattern? It varies the cast a bit more to have them unrelated.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

JohnWillow wrote:Do any of you wonder how each pony actually got the job that they have now. Pinkie's parent's where rock farmers (whatever the heck that is) and now she works alongside bakers. Rarity's parent's are common folk but now she runs a fashion shop in a house of her own.
how does anyone get any job? Pinkie's good at baking, so she went to Sugarcube Corner and asked for work.
Rarity is a bit more complicated. she's good at fashion, but that doesn't automatically allow her to run her own boutique. She probably worked under somepony else until she made enough money to buy her own place to set up shop, then did so.

EDIT: this is how the series will end
it was all a game of Ponies & Perils
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

nightmares and diabetes

If they pulled out the "we were just humans playing ponies" card, it would be a punch in the face for some if not the majority of the people.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

angelusbr wrote:nightmares and diabetes

If they pulled out the "we were just humans playing ponies" card, it would be a punch in the face for some if not the majority of the people.

I have to admit as an long time "A Nightmare On Elm Street" fan that this picture is very cool!

As far as violence is concerned, the ponies do live in a world populated by some pretty nasty monsters. Things that want to feed on them one way or another, or things that want to enslave them. Personally, mixing ponies with horror elements gives the battle between good and evil much higher stakes.

Say for example, if the ponies did meet a character like Freddy Krueger, he feeds on fear, the ponies remove fear.

In other pony news, my copy of issue one came in the mail today! It is a little folded because the mailman uses brute force to get it into the box. But, I put it inside a book and then placed a larger book on top of that. I can't wait to read it! And, I got the one with Applejack on the cover.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

There's no real point in putting violence and death into MLP. I mean, we know it exists in this world, thanks to that one funeral we saw and the existence of soldier ponies in the first place, but what would showing that violence and death actually add?

In this latest episode, Scootaloo got into peril through that waterfall and would have perished in not for Dash. It was an accident there, and I'm fairly certain that's as far as the show will ever go.

Not counting King Sombra, of course. He dead on-screen.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Becuase half the reason for fanwork, is making the stuff that doesn't happen in the show.
The wars, the murders, the anime fights, the romance.
All that stuff you want but they won't actually give you.
That is why we have fanwork.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

you know what disappointed me about the season starter
when twilight stopped the magic moving door, she had to use magic that clearly resembled sombra's
i find it odd that they did that, yet twilight suffered no repercussions
you would think that using that kind of stuff would result in something bad
i kind of just thought it would go somewhere
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

it didn't go anywhere when Celestia did it.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

well celestia is presumably more powerful than twilight and could properly control that power
i don't know if twilight could that easily
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Something bad did happen. The greatest fear spell on the door activated when she used the dark magic. We know this because it didn't activate when she used her regular magic to open the door. I also find it interesting that the door is the last time we see her use the dark magic.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

mariomarc wrote:well celestia is presumably more powerful than twilight and could properly control that power
i don't know if twilight could that easily
I think the reason for this could be that dark magic doesn't work like it does in other universes (i.e. its corrupting) its just another type of magic and Sombra just happened to be evil because he was just evil.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Penwrite wrote:I also find it interesting that the door is the last time we see her use the dark magic.
It's probably the kind of thing she wants to avoid using when at all possible.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:
Penwrite wrote:I also find it interesting that the door is the last time we see her use the dark magic.
It's probably the kind of thing she wants to avoid using when at all possible.
Or it could be she had no real use for it after that and isn't practiced in that type of magic.
Radio Blue Heart

My be that dark magic helped Luna become Nightmare Moon, so they are very weary of using it, if at all.

"You let me down. You went on and on about how sweet the candy was, then told me not to put it in my mouth, and got mad at me when I did."

"If by 'candy,' you mean ancient forbidden evil, then yes, I told you not to put it in your mouth."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I like this thing
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I like this thing
I also like that thing, it was very good.
Radio Blue Heart

An article from Equestria Daily.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/TVs-Best-Fa ... 57708.aspx

Ponies won a poll for most loyal fan base, beating "Doctor Who" and "The Walking Dead"!

And here is some added cuteness!

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/ ... 5nsp3h.png

Best princess ever!
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

If this is to be believed, this link contains season 3 spoilers.
here you go
now judging from what we've seen of season 3 so far, I think this seems plausible, but its source isn't really a reliable one. but just in case, my commentary.
I don't mind so much the "ugly", or even the "bad" because I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work, but if they're an indication of what's coming from the "better TV to toy integration" that Equestria Daily just reported on, I fear for the show's future. I know, it'll still be popular with the target demographic and It's not my right to demand they do things in a specific way (just saying this so Foxstar doesn't yell at me), but I just hope they don't get much worse than this.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok even if this is true (Its unsourced and the Hasbro Twitter and others with the show have denied the first part many times, including today IIRC) Twilight becoming an Alicorn is not in anyway a bad thing I have watched enough DBZ and Anime in general to not be fazed by "Super Sayian" style power ups anymore, so I could really care less about that. And really considering that the show was originally meant to be a bit of a Sailor Moon rip off but with ponies this should surprise no one really.

The thing is likely that they are going to be basing the toys off the Show anyway since that is what they said at a NYCC interview according to a few people. Even if they weren't as long as they don't tell the writers what to do with the Merch promotion it will be fine anything can be integrated into the show well by a good writer.

As for Derpy (and this is the thing that makes it seem kind of Fake) she is on so many covers for the comics and actually appears rather prominently in the first one that if they are fazing her out Hasbro sucks at that. Also I've also heard that it was a head story-boardist decision to scale back her apprences since they felt she was being over used. Also she is always in the opening in one of the train windows, and even if its true I don't really care either because the fandom will continue using her for the rest of the show anyway.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

it said TV to Toy integration. The comics are separate, and therefore may not need to phase Derpy out. but as I said, I'd be fine with the specifics mentioned here, but if it's true, I don't like the thought of the company telling them how to run the show.

but again, not that reliable a source, so it's probably false
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hmm... well that could all turn out terrible. Not that either of the changes they mention are inherently bad in and of themselves, I just can't think of any times the higher-ups getting more involved with something has made it better.

Hmm....
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

People are panicking over an unsourced post on Reddit. Everyone needs to calm down because really nothing in that post is even really that bad anyway. Ok after reading the links from that EQD post about the TV/Toy integration you people really need to calm down about that. From what it sounds like, what they are doing is firing all the previous managers from all the departments (television, film, commercial productions and short-form content) and just having them run by one guy, so now everything the teams are doing has to run by one guy who know everything everyone else is doing instead of 4 guys who only know what their team is doing. Also it is now going to be run by the guy who has been overseeing MLP's production since the beginning anyway (his only new jobs will be the Film and Short-form content from what it seems, since he was already running the other two sections.) so I highly doubt much will change if anything at all.
Radio Blue Heart

Phasing out Derpy on any level would be a suicidal move on Hasbro's behalf. I know there was backlash over Derpy's speaking role, but the people who criticized that are not their target audience, so they should not be in a hurry to please those people. Derpy is one of the most popular characters. It makes no sense artistically or financially. I think this post is not genuine.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Equestria Daily just reported that Saturday's episode was leaked somewhere. I'd like to remind you all that discussion of illegal activity, including watching a leaked episode of a show before the creators intended it to be viewed, is not allowed on the forums.

So if you do happen to see it, wait until Saturday to discuss it.
and if you don't plan to watch it early, be careful of what links you press.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

oh
this is hard
what do i do?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Bah I can wait the two days for it.

You know what forget it this was an internal screw up not someone stealing it, and they aren't even bothering to take it down even though its on their own website.

And now the second issue of the comic has been leaked as well. It was going be delayed for another month but not anymore. What in the world is with Hasbro and leaks today geez get your act together.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

as someone who does not have a comic shop near him and views the spoilers on derpibooru

you will love it
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

IceKitsune wrote:Bah I can wait the two days for it.

You know what forget it this was an internal screw up not someone stealing it, and they aren't even bothering to take it down even though its on their own website.
Regardless, unless there is verification that it is 100% legal, it is not to be discussed here until its official release.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

even if it weren't covered by the "illegal activity" rule, discussing it and spoiling it for those who choose to wait would be a jerk move.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:even if it weren't covered by the "illegal activity" rule, discussing it and spoiling it for those who choose to wait would be a jerk move.
I'm not going to spoil it for anyone. But come on I'm personally not going to sit there for two days when Hasbro is just to lazy to fix their own screw up. If it was some one torrenting it or something that would be a different story but this is just something Hasbro should have caught pretty quickly and fixed but they didn't.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Phasing out Derpy on any level would be a suicidal move on Hasbro's behalf. I know there was backlash over Derpy's speaking role, but the people who criticized that are not their target audience, so they should not be in a hurry to please those people. Derpy is one of the most popular characters. It makes no sense artistically or financially. I think this post is not genuine.
Uh no. Not having a background pony in the show would not harm Hasbro in any way enough to matter. What, are you going to tell me that the target market for the show is going to stop watching and stop buying toys because a background character is no longer in there? Give me a break. Bronies are not and will likely never be the target market for the show, nor are they large enough to matter even though they think otherwise.
This. Shoehorning grimdark into MLP is just outright silly and I've never found a writer who can do it right.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

They aren't fazing her out anyway she is in the Opening in the train peeking out the top window in every episode now. If they were fazing her out she sure as heck wouldn't be there. Also that Reddit has like a 99% chance of being fake anyway.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

IceKitsune wrote:They aren't fazing her out anyway she is in the Opening in the train peeking out the top window in every episode now. If they were fazing her out she sure as heck wouldn't be there. Also that Reddit has like a 99% chance of being fake anyway.
Maybe the phasing her out means leaving the opening alone. She hasn't been in as many eps this season, something that gets people on EQDaily all riled up over to the point of threatening to stop watching the show.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:They aren't fazing her out anyway she is in the Opening in the train peeking out the top window in every episode now. If they were fazing her out she sure as heck wouldn't be there. Also that Reddit has like a 99% chance of being fake anyway.
Maybe the phasing her out means leaving the opening alone. She hasn't been in as many eps this season, something that gets people on EQDaily all riled up over to the point of threatening to stop watching the show.
I've heard that it was the Head story board artists idea (that is when she get put into a shot) to scale back her appearances he or she thought that she was being over used. Though of course that is just as much of a rumor.
Radio Blue Heart

Foxstar wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Phasing out Derpy on any level would be a suicidal move on Hasbro's behalf. I know there was backlash over Derpy's speaking role, but the people who criticized that are not their target audience, so they should not be in a hurry to please those people. Derpy is one of the most popular characters. It makes no sense artistically or financially. I think this post is not genuine.
Uh no. Not having a background pony in the show would not harm Hasbro in any way enough to matter. What, are you going to tell me that the target market for the show is going to stop watching and stop buying toys because a background character is no longer in there? Give me a break. Bronies are not and will likely never be the target market for the show, nor are they large enough to matter even though they think otherwise.
No need to get nasty and condescending about this. Being a background character never stopped her from becoming a fan favorite in the first place. There will be some level of fan backlash over it if they really did plan to get rid of her.
-Virgil