My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I thought this episode was good. Even though he is supposed to be reformed, Discord is still a massive jerk. And I agree, Big McIntosh should have had dialogue. One of my favorite references was in the jazz club as well. The pony with the banana cutie mark was Josephine Baker, a famous jazz singer, dancer and spy. Her mane was styled like Josephine's hair, and Josephine was famous for dancing in a skirt made of bananas.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm glad Discord hasn't gone soft. It would've destroyed his character.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

I know that its his thing to mess with people but this time it was almost to the point it was off-putting. He seemed pretty malicious toward Mac and Spike. That is fitting for his old villainous ways, not fitting of someone who is reformed.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok that was a great episode, funny as heck and a good message. Fluttershy and Pinkie played off each other perfectly and Snails was a great addition to the episode. AJ and Dash whipping the town into massive Buckball fever was cool. I also like how while they pointed out that the sport should be fun they didn't put down the people who want to work hard at it as always being wrong. It was nice to see Braeburn again even if it wasn't for that long. Buckball sounds like an extremely interesting game and was a great way to incorporate all three Pony races into one game and make it balanced. The faces that they had during this episode were all hilarious as heck loved so many of them. This one easily exceeded my expectations 9/10
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Hmmm...I get Fluttershy freaking out over having everypony's attention and having everypony counting on her...but Pinkie Pie? Not so much. She usually thrives on the attention that she gets, usually from throwing a party or generally making everypony smile.

I get her being upset about it being competetive and not fun anymore, but...the way she freaks out feels a little out of character to me. I dunno.

That message at the end about not worrying about being competetive so long as you have fun? Yeah, try telling that to the professional sports leagues here on our world.
Last edited by The Blue Fox on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The Blue Fox wrote:Hmmm...I get Fluttershy freaking out over having everypony's attention and having everypony counting on her...but Pinkie Pie? Not so much. She usually thrives on the attention that she gets, usually from throwing a party or generally making everypony smile.

I get her being upset about it being competetive and not fun anymore, but...the way she freaks out feels a little out of character to me. I dunno.

That message at the end about not worrying about being competetive so long as you have fun? Yeah, tery telling that to the professional sports leagues here on our world.
Here's the thing Pinkie Pie does thrive on attention but she does that when she is making them laugh and have fun, something she is very good at and has tons of practice in. This was the first time she had even heard about the game let alone played it; I think it is understandable for her to be nervous about messing up.

Also I think you are missing a bit about the ending and what exactly was taught. The show pointed out that some people thrive on the competitions and some thrive on the game just being fun it never said one or the other was better or correct it just pointed out that Pinkie, Fluttershy and Snails played better when they were just having fun (or not really thinking about it like Snails) and ponies like Rainbow Dash and Applejack do better when the pressure is on.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Hm. Good point. Guess I missed the mark on a couple of things there. :/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The Blue Fox wrote:That message at the end about not worrying about being competetive so long as you have fun? Yeah, try telling that to the professional sports leagues here on our world.
A lot of people have fun by being competitive. It's not saying to never be competitive. Just to not make it a higher priority than fun.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I just love that they made this whole episode with only four voice actors.

also Fluttershy sounded a lot more like Pinkie while she was having fun.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That was a pretty good episode, Gabby was adorable and super excited about everything. Though she kind of got on my nerves a bit so that brought it down a bit. I like that it brought up Scootaloo not being able to fly again and it did bring up some world building around Cutie Marks. That first part with the family was adorable and silly and I'm glad it showed how many ponies the CMC had helped. Overall I would give this one a 8/10 for me.

Edit: Ok new episode time! Finally got to watch it after work, Overall this one was pretty good. Great to finally see some place else in equestria and it was filled with so many different references and new ponies and we even learned about the Rich family, someone who wasn't even involved in the episode itself. I feel like people will be picking out background things from this episode for awhile there was just so much stuff going on. While the story was predictable it was a good use of Flim and Flam who was nice to see come back. I actually liked Gladmane quite a bit and Las Pegasus itself looked amazing glad we finally got to see it and if we do get another season I really want them to go back there again. Overall I consider this one to be about as good as the last one so 8/10 for me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gah I loved Gabby! This season has been kind of disappointing but it's got its gems!

The most recent episode I thought was alright! But also felt like a bit of a letdown that they go to Los Pegasus yet we rarely see more than a single room of a single resort when it comes to spectacle.
Radio Blue Heart

N/A
Last edited by Radio Blue Heart on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I should have posted this sooner, but the early airing in the UK will be treated the same as any other leak
the only way anyone outside the UK can watch it is illegally, so it shouldn't be discussed until the US airdate. any UK users or any who watched it through legitimate means may discuss it, but must use spoiler tags until the official US release.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Even though I viewed it LEGALLY, I have decided to remove the post in the hope of keeping things civil.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Last regular episode! Sometimes I suspect they're running out of friendship lessons. The plot wasn't bad or anything! The show's educational aspects just seem to be getting kind of contrived.

Maybe I've just learned so much about friendship watching almost six seasons of this show that there's nothing left to learn. ;P
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

And that is the season folks! What a great bunch of final episodes that was! I'm gonna give a run down of my feelings on the episodes I had yet to comment on here:

Every Little Thing She Does: Great episode and something that Glimmer needed badly I think. It was funny to see what most of the Mane 6 would be like hung over I loved that bit. Learning about all the new spells and the bits of world building with that was great. Overall 8/10 episode for me

P.P.O.V.: This was a fun episode I love the Rashomon plot they did and it was great to see how Pinkie, AJ and Rarity see each other. While it was predictable it was a fun kind of predictable and it won't be for Kids who are just seeing this kind of plot for the first time most likely. Pirate AJ was likely my favorite part and Rarity saying Darling all the time was a close second. 8/10 for me

Where the Apple Lies: Great, Great episode! Glad to see young AJ and Big Mac and learning more about them (especially Big Mac) was a great ride. While the plot was a bit over done in this episode I don't think it mattered much. Big Mac talking all the time was hilarious, and that whole scenario that AJ lyings got them into at the hospital was great I loved seeing her painstakingly trying to keep everything under control. 9.5/10 for me.

Top Bolt: Oh boy did I have fun watching this one Sky Stinger and Vapor Trail are great new characters loved there interactions. Twilight and Dash really work off each other super well especially in the classroom scene. I loved how excited Twilight was to teach them anything her faces in this episode were super fun. Both Dash and Twilight made really good point on their perspectives and I think the lesson was an extremely good one to learn. 9/10

To Where and Back Again Parts 1 and 2: This was a great finale! It had some weaknesses but over all it was very strong. The team up they used was great and I loved Trixie in this one she stole the show outside of the ending. They totally gave a ton of shipping fuel to Fluttercord shippers which is fun. Seeing Chrysalis back was great and the fact she didn't get reformed was one of the best things they could have done. I know a lot of people don't like it but changing the Changelings into a new form was great (They are totally G4's Flutter Ponies by the way) I can't wait to see where they take that form here. I actually liked the Mane 6 not saving the day for once it was cool. Overall it was a 9/10 for me

Also the reason I haven't posted in this topic in a while (if anyone cares) is I kind of feel like I'm the only one who keeps this topic alive with the occasional posts by Sleet really.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

hey, I post when I have something to say.
the team up for the finale is about what I thought it would be when I heard there would be one. I figured Trixie would need to be in as Starlight's friend, Thorax was a pretty unique new character, and Discord would be unlikely to not be involved somehow. I just kind of thought Ember would be in it too, but I guess she's too busy.

in the break between episodes I watched some reviews that people had done with the UK release, and reseeing Thorax's sparkly wings I did think "dangit, he's turning into a flutterpony, isn't he?"

PPOV, I though each story would have one good guy (the teller) one bad guy and a neutral party that was pretty much not exaggerated, so Applejack blaming both of the others and exaggerating them caught me a bit by surprise, but as you said, pretty much a basic Rashomon(for those who don't know the term)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That was a really good way to finish the season! I loved seeing the dynamics of four former villains, and the changeling hive was really cool.

I had two small issues with it, though:

1.) I don't like the changelings looking different; let good be ugly! Good doesn't need to be pretty!

2.) There wraps up the entire season with Flurry Heart mattering zero. While she had a role in her debut episode, her being an alicorn (which is supposed to be impossible) was meaningless, but I gave it time. Turns out it's still meaningless! My guess is Hasbro just demanded a baby alicorn for toy purposes.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:That was a really good way to finish the season! I loved seeing the dynamics of four former villains, and the changeling hive was really cool.

I had two small issues with it, though:

1.) I don't like the changelings looking different; let good be ugly! Good doesn't need to be pretty!

2.) There wraps up the entire season with Flurry Heart mattering zero. While she had a role in her debut episode, her being an alicorn (which is supposed to be impossible) was meaningless, but I gave it time. Turns out it's still meaningless! My guess is Hasbro just demanded a baby alicorn for toy purposes.
If some rumors for the Movie are true (namely that the Mane 6 will meet some kind of Alicorn Progenitor Race) I have a feeling that a lot about Flurry Heart is going to come up in that.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

saw Big Mac on a house near my college
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So this is a thing (Season 7 spoilers) It's pretty cool that MLP:FIM is becoming the next Gargoyles, if this keeps up at least. For those of you who don't know or don't remember Gargoyles had a lot of Star Trek talent on it. Including by not limited toJonathan Frakes,Kate Mulgrew,Brent Spiner and a bunch more, even some that I had forgotten about; seriously google it, there are so many. Spoilers just because it deals with Season 7 and that is still aways off so people might still want to stay far away from it.

Edit: April everybody! We are back in business in April! My Little Pony Season 7 slated for April!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's not far off! Yay!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Some movie characters have been revealed! Liev Schreiber's, Taye Diggs's Kristin Chenoweth's and Emily Blunt's characters Zoe Saldana's character and Uzo Adubas' Character

It's nice to finally get some info on the movie, even if it's just character art. All of them look great IMO I can't wait to see what roles they will all be playing. Really hoping for a trailer soon though that would be great.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I can't believe Taye Diggs is a furry
as for Liev schreiber's character he looks a lot like Tirek. maybe in some way related? same species?
and Kristen Chenoweth and Uzo Aduba, almost certain they're flutterponies. they look flowery and have wings while the original flutterponies were named after flowers.
Zoe saldana and Emily Blunt I just think look cool
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: and Kristen Chenoweth and Uzo Aduba, almost certain they're flutterponies. they look flowery and have wings while the original flutterponies were named after flowers.
Nope, they are Seaponies. If you look close enough you can see scaleson the characters and Kristen Chenoweth said about a year ago that she was playing a Hippocampus which are basically seaponies.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

dangit, I keep thinking things are flutterponies and they are not flutterponies. oh well. maybe we'll get to hear Kristen's shoo-bee-doo
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Whelp at the Toy Fair today we got basically what is a confirmation of Season 8 and a Movie Trailer! No Youtube video of it yet but it likely will be up on Hasbro's channel by the end of the day I would assume.

Also, a new Shout Factory DVD has two episodes from season 7 on it Season 7 Episode Title Spoilers It looks like we might just finally be getting that long awaited Celestia Episode! Took them long enough.

Edit: More Toy Fair Stuff! Serious season 7 spoilers! Live Blog of it Rainbow Dash's Parents Windy Whistles and Bow Hot Hoof and Applejack's Parents Bright Mac and Pear Butter AJ's Mom gets a song as well, seems to be purely a flashback scene. Saying its very Romeo and Juliet in terms of what goes on Most people that have seen it are saying it confirms they are dead? Maybe because of R&J line? Not 100% on that part, though. Pretty huge things coming out of this guys. Likely the biggest spoilers since Alicorn Twilight IMO.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

My Little Pony comes back April 15th according to Zap2it!

Edit: Teaser for Season 7 has been released! and we also know the titles of the episodes; Celestial Advice and All Bottled Up, for once it's not a two parter, this should be interesting! I'm excited that Celestia is actually getting some major screen time!

Edit 2: More info released about some episodes and a very curious line has been used: "Very Special Episode" that confirms it to me, anyone who grew up in the 80’s and 90’s knows what that means. Shatner and Day voice AJ’s Parents and it deals with their death I would call that line a 90% confirmation of how this will go.

Edit 3: Another Season 7 Teaser
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Episode 5,6,7 and 8 Title and Synopsis revealed

Another huge amount of spoilers in this one. Some episodes are looking really, really good honestly really looking forward toForever Filly, Parental Glideance, and Hard to Say Anything More Rarity and Sweetie interaction as sisters is always good, and of course I think everyone wants to see Rainbow's Parents finally. Big Mac and Sugar Belle should be one heck of an interesting pairing, to say the least. Though why it says it's his first crush is beyond me since he clearly had a crush on Marble Pie at one point. Though maybe it's actually talking about the CMC knowing about it or something.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just saw the movie teaser. This seems like it's gonna be a big deal! I'm pretty excited. :3
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

the new style looked off but apparently there were conversion issues that messed up how the shadows looked. I look forward to seeing it, just 6 more months
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:I just saw the movie teaser. This seems like it's gonna be a big deal! I'm pretty excited. :3
Yeah, it looks pretty good so far it's just too bad the guys who processed it messed it up according to the art director. They didn't compress (or decompress) something correctly.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So I just got home from work and saw the new episodes!

Celestial Advice was fantastic! Great characterization for Celestia that she seriously needed. It gave us a bit of backstory on her and the rest of the Mane 6 which was unexpected. Twilight's fantasies were all so entertaining to watch and I really loved the one with Glimmer and Ember. I'm pretty sure they took that meeting scene right out of Predator which is exactly where my head went. The changeling one confirmed that the new changelings can still shapeshift (yeah it was in Twilight's head but I think we can call that reliable at least on abilities anyway) which was nice to know. Honestly out of the ones that Twilight went through sending her to the Crystal Empire would have been the best option if she had picked one.

I loved seeing Twilight worry so much and over think things it was really fun. Discord was also great he was being an absolute jerk the whole time and it was great. I like that Equestria has it's own medal's I know we had seen something like them before but this time they are actually given a name and look really cool.

All Bottled Up was equally as good honestly. I didn't know that Trixie was that freaking self-absorbed still but I'm also kind of glad to see it as well. The Mane 6 having to do an escape the room thing was actually really cool and I knew they were going to lose the record because of the song from the first note of it. Which by the way was a great song. It also really solidifies my headcanon that Songs in Equestria work like Bard Magic. I absolutely love how they didn't forget that Bulk also works at the Spa as well. That was a really nice bit of continuity there.

Overall I would rate Celestial Advice a solid 9/10 and All Bottled Up an 8/10 its a bit weird not to have a true two-parter for the opener but I kind of actually like them doing it this was.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:its a bit weird not to have a true two-parter for the opener but I kind of actually like them doing it this was.
I think its because the opener seems to indicate the show will be shifting to focus more on Starlight (like maybe almost as much as the first season focused on Twilight) and they didn't want to leave a week where the fans were wondering how much that would change things. so they had the opener then an example of what episodes will be like from now on (or at least this season)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was honestly not that impressed by the new episodes. I really don't like Starlight and Trixie as "main" characters, nor am I a big fan of the show progressing in big story arcs. I guess you have to change a lot up when a show goes on for 6 seasons, but I preferred the loose continuity of the early show.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This episode was adorable as heck. Flurry was actually really cute and honestly didn’t annoy me as much as I thought she would. It had some nice callbacks to other episodes and haggard Cadence and Shining Armor was fun to see.
The stuff in the art gallery was kind of meh but still enjoyable.

Spike was pretty good though out and Twilight trying so hard was fun to watch. Also, this had so many G1 references with that story! I love that so much. Grogar being the villain of the book; Gusty being the Hero, it all being a huge reference to the episode Return of Tambelon. There were likely some I missed as well.

Overall a great episode 8/10 for me.

Edit: Well this episode was a fun one Maud is still great and her deadpanedness is still a highlight IMO. Pinkie was a bit annoying (and honestly selfish as heck) and she seemed to have forgotten that she already learned this lesson before with Cranky (kind of anyway) but I can give that a pass as this was her sister and she was trying to get her to stay in Ponyville. Glimmer and Maud really saved this episode and Mauds new house/cave was really cool and it honestly seems like they are trying to give Glimmer her own Mane 6 out of a lot of the background characters. At least that is what I am seeing here. Another 8/10 for me if only for Maud and Glimmer though.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Fluttershy Leans In: I understand where people are coming from on the lack of conflict in this episode. There really isn’t much to this episode it’s very straightforward and simple, obviously it is too simple for some fans to enjoy very much. Personally, though I absolutely loved Assertive as heck Fluttershy that was perfect for her character development. Also, the conflict was depicted realistically, very realistically which is honestly refreshing.

It’s also where I think a lot of the dislike of this episode comes from because what happened in this episode is exactly what would happen (and does happen) in real life. You hire someone to do a job for you and they refuse to listen and then get fired there isn’t much more to it than that in real life either. I totally get why some people find that boring. 8/10 another super solid episode.

Also, this brings up something that must be addressed. Canada's Treehouse channel is showing two episodes a week. If this keeps up we run into a bit of an issue where the season finale is going to air on July 9th which will be about 3 or so months before it airs in the US. I know the last time this happened the answer was to not bring up the episodes before the US release and I'm fine with that if that is going to be the case again (as I'm sure it will) but it's gonna suck to not talk about an episode for 3 months especially when it is the finale.

Edit: Honestly I think that Hasbro needs to start putting Embargos on episodes for Non-US TV channels
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really liked the Maud episode. Her character never interested me too much but they presented her in a better light this time.

Though I'm not a fan of episodes with rehashed plots or episodes where one of the Mane 6 suddenly becomes completely clueless, so this season so far hasn't been too great! Good to know there's at least a gem in there though.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:I know the last time this happened the answer was to not bring up the episodes before the US release and I'm fine with that if that is going to be the case again (as I'm sure it will) but it's gonna suck to not talk about an episode for 3 months especially when it is the finale.
I think the official stance we have on this is: if you can watch it on the Canadian channel legally, discuss it in spoilers until the official US airdate. otherwise, don't post about it here.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Forever Filly was an adorable episode. Rarity was a bit cringy and I always find that hard to watch. However, the message was good and I liked the ending it was cute. It was also nice to see characters actually grow up and seeing Zipporwhill and her dog again was cool. 7/10 for me another solid episode for this season.