My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Sleet »

Hah I love that Game of Thrones fakeout.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Another Trailer has hit Some pretty big spoilers for the opener and Returning Guest Characters We also have a start date April 6th. I liked the rendition of the theme they used here.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The Spring breakdown for Equestria Girls just aired today. It was pretty good, not amazing or anything but enough fun things happened in it to make it worth watching. Human Twilight and Dash going to Equestria and interacting with Pony Twilight was really fun and I would say the best part of the special for sure. Dash was really annoying to an almost stupid degree which really hurt the special IMO. Sure she ended up being right but they overdid it a bit on her wanting to be a superhero. The blatant Rarijack shipping was cute. I liked how the rest of the Human 5 (minus Applejack as she was sick at the time) clearly saw what was going on with Ragamuffin was great. Bringing in the stuff from the movie was a nice touch and I enjoyed that it got such screen time honestly. Overall I would give it a 7/10

Edit: Just watched the Season 9 opener! It was pretty good, I knew they weren't going to have Celestia and Luna actually retire. Likely will happen in the finale though. The whole Twilighting thing was cute. I liked Starlights attempt to get her to calm down. Grogar looks really neat honestly and Sombra was kind of an idiot, if Twilight hadn't been freaking out he would have lost so quickly. Discord was really good throughout the whole thing, honestly best part of the episodes by far. The Tree of Harmony getting destroyed really kind of sucks but we know it will be back in some way in a few episodes. I'm glad they brought back Starswirl and I really glad they gave the Princesses something to do, and actually acknowledged that they really don't do much of anything. Though I am surprised that Luna is really rearing to retire given she was in the Moon for 1000 years. Overall I would give it 7.5/10
Commander Bevin

Post by Commander Bevin »

I have such mixed feelings about the series 9 openers. King Sombra was my favorite villain. He was so unique in his episodes, a master planner and strategist who threatened the heroes with his clever traps and relentless pursuit of his goals rather than through overwhelming power. It took a move as bizarre as literally throwing your wife to beat him.

Here, though, while there were some great moments, like Sombra's constant exploiting of our heroes and tricking them to lead him to the Tree of Harmony, he seemed so much dumber and more full of himself. And with that dumb new voice, he just came off more as an evil Prince Blueblood than the pony equivalent of Sauron.

All that being said, I do love this reworking of Grogar, and I look forward to seeing how things develop. MLP:FiM was the inspiration that got me writing my Legends of Heraldale series. It means so much to me. I'll be seeing things through to the end.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I just watched Uprooted. A lot of people seem to not really like this episode all that much but I enjoyed it quite a bit honestly. Its good to see another Student Six episode they really need the development. The dream segment was fun and I loved Sliverstreams superhero landing. Twilight freaking out over the Highlighters was cute. Ocellus turning into a rock when Thorax showed up was a nice call back and her dragon form was adorable. The montage of them getting permission slips was a bit unnecessary but I liked Gallus getting his and Ocellus getting her whole family to sign it. Sandbar was a bit stupid to not just tell them were he put the pieces, I mean come on man that was not cool. Their different ideas were really neat and I was thinking they would kind of combined them together somehow in the end. However I liked what we got way better. I felt bad for Smolder saying she had started forgetting what the tree looked like it seemed to really hurt her. Yona line about why the Yaks smash things really gave their culture some depth honestly. The song was pretty good I'm glad the student six got one. I really, really liked the look of the Tree House of Harmony at the end. It looks really nice and I hope we see more of it. I suspect that they are setting up to use that for the finale as a shelter or something from Grogar. I just hope it gets used before that at least once. 8/10 for me.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well I watched the 200th episode. Twilight's Seven. That episode was just great! Everything about it was just super fun and hilarious to watch. Twilight's "Forever" face, Rarity and Rainbow Dash in that whole Shadow Spade sequence. Pinkie interrupting that sequence with wanting to go to space. I really liked Rarity's little speech and everyone grading it. The expressions in this episode were super amazing all the way though. The use of Zephyr Breeze of all ponies was just perfect I loved everything about Rainbow Dash in that part including her dress. Fluttershy in the Danger Suit along with Spike was cute and it was nice to see those flashbacks to them as kids, that was just a bunch of adorable shots. Spike winning overall was great and was the best possible ending especially with Luna at the end stroking the bird. speaking of Luna her and Celestia were so much fun in this episode even if they were just in the background mostly. The looks they gave each other were amazing.Overall I would give it a 9/10 best of the season so far. And in fact I want to revise my look on the Opener to an 8/10 I think I was a bit hash on it when I first watched it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Doing a heist episode was pretty clever! I thought it was fun. They really do need more story-irrelevant episodes like that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I found the Newest episode Point of No Return to be a lot of fun. Nothing amazing but there were some good parts here and there. Plus the call backs were great. I like the little bits of world building it manages to do as well. The lesson was pretty good honestly something a lot of people could learn. Twilight's library card was great I just loved that picture. The fact that they made this whole story from a really quick little thing from the very first episode of the show was amazing IMO. Never would have expected that. Overall I would give it a solid 6/10 for me. A bit above average but nothing super special.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I loved it, honestly! It's a return to why Twilight is my favorite character. I love her as a neurotic dork rather than a wise teacher.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just saw the newest episode. First one I have gotten to see live in a while. It was super cute and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Quibble and Dash worked well off each other and I really liked how Quibble was trying so hard even if it was a bit cringy at times. Seeing Snips and Snails again was nice, it wouldn't surprise me if this is the last time we see them at least with a speaking role anyway. Clear Skies and Wind Sprint were nice character additions and while Alice Oswalt is clearly not a voice actor I think her performance was cute enough to make up for it. They also didn't shy away from either divorce or a death of a family member (given Patton Oswalts real life I'm going to say it's clearly meant to be a death however) not really shocking for this show anymore but glad to see they didn't dance around it. This episode did quite a bit of world building sports wise which was nice, we learned a lot more about Buckball and got to see Appaloosa again I always enjoy when a show adds to small things like that its nice. While we knew that ponies watched newsreels (from Hurricane Fluttershy IIRC) I think this is the first time we have seen a movie theater in Equestria. Edit: I forgot about One Bad Apple lol Overall I would give this one a solid 8/10
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

What's with all the redactions? Someone in the CIA hates "My Little Pony"?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

NHWestoN wrote:What's with all the redactions? Someone in the CIA hates "My Little Pony"?
Spoilers for people who haven't seen the episode. I honestly don't think its necessary but I do it just in case and because its kind of a habit now anyway
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Actually, Ice, that strikes me as a very sound and thoughtful reason.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think it's kinda nice they handled the death of a parent in an age-appropriate fashion! It's a tricky subject to broach, but in reality families come in a variety of structures and it's good kids with those experiences have characters to relate to.

I thought the episode was just okay, but the fact that Patton Oswald's actual daughter played his character's possibly-eventual stepdaughter is adorable.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just saw the newest episode. I thought it was really cute.Sandbar and Yona make a really cute couple honestly. Silverstream was adorable as heck in the beginning of the episode and when Yona showed back up. While I think Rarity was maybe a bit dense when it came to what Yona was doing the others are more understandable. Sure the lesson has been done before but I think this episode did it well enough.The song was nice and Yona's Pony form was really cuteI liked Spike having a DJ name that was cute and he still likes to dress up as himself, which is a bit odd honestly. I liked the pony dances they showed off and how the rest of the student six were playing cards instead of dancing. Though you would think that at least Sliverstream would want to be out there dancing even if it was just on her own. The part in the crystal tree house with Sandbar and Yona was very nice I'm glad that place didn't just show up in the finale like I thought it might.Overall I would give it a 7/10 Pretty good.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:the fact that Patton Oswald's actual daughter played his character's possibly-eventual stepdaughter is adorable.
also of note, his wife voiced her mother. so the whole family was played by a family with the same dynamic (but with different roles for the parents)
IceKitsune wrote:While I think Rarity was maybe a bit dense when it came to what Yona was doing
yeah, everything they were doing was perfectly fine other than her changing how she talks. that was dumb of rarity
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey, characters have to become dense at random, after all. :P
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just saw the newest episode! That was really good. The three of them honestly worked well together and both the bickering and parts were they became "friends" were very enjoyable. Chrysalis going crazy and talking to the remains of evil twilight was very nice I bet we will see those six again at some point even if it is just in the finale. Plus her impressions of Twilight were funny as well. Cozy Glow is really good in this episode and hopefully this one shows why she is part of the team for the people still confused (Hint: its because she is the only one who knows anything about friendship and working together).The song was very very good IMO very catchy. Them plotting to betray Grogar at the end is going to be very interesting for sure. I think this is obviously going to tie into how he is defeated in the finale. Likely from the three of them figuring that him ruling means they get nothing or something like that. I doubt the three of them will all get reformed in the finale but that is possible.Overall easily a 9/10
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It was fun seeing villains on a more personal level while keeping them evil.

Also, Cozy Glow's unquestioned evilness is so weird to me considering the tone of this show.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I just saw Sweet and Smoky. I thought this was really fun. Having Fluttershy and Spike team up with Smolder was a great idea. And while it wasn't a whole lot I liked that we learned even more about Dragons. I loved how Spike was trying so hard to help Garble even though he was his usual self. He really has matured. I had (as had most everyone else even before the Italian early releases) that Garble was Smolders brother. Not really a shock there. Fluttershy with the eggs and at the end was super cute and I loved how assertive she was when dealing with Garble when they switched off.I also liked that she stood up for Spike as well and told off Garble for teasing him. Though honestly at this point the fact that he is technically a ambassador and is friends with Ember should have been enough to get them to stop. Do they want to start a war? because that is how you start a war. Ember still can't tell ponies apart it seems which is still funny. The solution to the egg problem was a bit predictable but it tied all the plot lines together nicely. Overall I would give this one a 8/10 Season 9 has been super solid so far.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was kind of shocked at how comfortable dragons are with strangers just manhandling their eggs.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:I was kind of shocked at how comfortable dragons are with strangers just manhandling their eggs.
Dragons are tough and their eggs require the heat of magma to actually hatch (or a ton of magic in Spikes case) I feel like it would be pretty hard to break a Dragon Egg. Plus Ember knows both Spike and Fluttershy and is their leader, the dragons trust her to know what she is doing. So it's honestly not all that surprising.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well Going to Seed was cute!It was a bit stupid of them to let Big Mac take on that much responsibility for the planing so many times though especially since they had to have known how much it was effecting him. Goldie Delicious was great again just like the other two time she has shown up. It was also nice to see Apple Bloom so excited for something, really adorable. I liked the story for the great seedling nice bit of folklore building there. It turning out to be a sleep walking Big Mac was fun as was the stake out that Applejack and Bloom did. It had a lot of nice interactions between those two by the end. It was an unexpected treat to see the Apple Parents again even if it was super brief. It was a bit predictable though.Overall I would give this one a 7/10 super cute
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just saw the newest episode. This one is really good one of the best of the season so far. I loved the heck out of Trixie getting progressively more and more annoyed with Starlight and drinking the tea angrily. In fact Trixie was really fun in this episode. While she was clearly frustrated with Starlight it was very clear that she understood why she was doing what she was doing. I liked that student who kept trying to meet with Starlight but Trixie keep blocking him. Roseluck trying to make that flower stick was really adorable with her covered in glue at the end.

That little interaction between Gallus and Smolder was a highlight of the episode as well, especially with Smolders little smirk at the end. Sliverstream, as much as I like her, made we want to slap her across the face a few time in the episode until the end. Though the last half or so was great, them running though the Everfree forest, the return of Mudbriar and Terramar, Maud reacting to Mudbriar getting turned to stone, and Sliverstream being in the Tree-house of Friendship with a tamed Cockatrice was super cool. I hope we see Edith again. Overall Solid 9/10 for me the first half of this season has been really, really good.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Maud was in excellent form this episode
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just saw the newest episode! This was one a lot of people had been waiting for. And It does not disappoint. The explanation behind Scootaloos Parents was good (even if it makes them kind of neglectful tbh) and it was great to finally see them. We finally see Scootaloos home life and its nice how the rest of ponyville has been taking care of her over the years. Her Aunts are really nice I liked them a lot. Though it is kind of silly how they didn't move to Ponyville earlier. It also marks our first gay couple in the series (Lyra and Bon Bon may or may not count). Which is a neat thing it was done very well were it was obvious if you were paying attention but they didn't feel the need to make a big deal about it in the episode itself. Seeing the CMC get that key to the city and have everyone around them that they had helped over the years was really really nice. If this is the last CMC episode it is a very good one to go out on. Though I'm sure we will see them in the finale at least.Overall 8.5/10 for me another great one.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

wow, I can't believe Scootaloo is pony Bindi Sue Irwin
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't count Lyra and Bon-Bon because their alleged relationship is purely fanon, not to mention the writers seemed to explicitly go out of their way to make them not a couple. So this was cool to see!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just watched the mid-season finale. This one was excellent for sure. I'm so glad we got another Celestia and Luna episode before the end of the series. I loved them trying to help out after years of not doing so. It was adorably silly. That huge turtle was also really cool. The song was great and I liked how they even put Capper in the background there. It was another nice little nod to the movie. Luna getting super excited to use the post office was really cute as well as everyone's reactions to seeing the princesses out and about. I mean that is how it is going to be every day after they retire for quite some time. I think the episode really expanded quite a bit on both characters and their relationship with each other.Overall I would give this one a solid 9/10 one of the best in the season for sure.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Is it bad that I didn't like it? It always feels so wrong for Celestia to have the "idiot ball" for an episode. I liked her and Luna as wise and distant, not "just another pony who's clueless about friendship sometimes."
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Gonna repost my thoughts about the new Rainbow Roadtrip special from EQD here, it sums up everything I really have to say on it. That was interesting. Nothing really bad or anything but not a must watch either.I liked a lot of the new characters in the special Kerfuffle, Petunia Petals, Torque Wrench and Sunny Skies were all really good as characters. The plot was a bit dull and obvious though. The specially really runs on how much you like the characters IMO. The End of the Rainbow song was pretty good but Living in Color (the ending song) was just really silly, not bad but silly. I loved the use of the movies style though. Overall I would give this one a 6/10
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So it is pretty obvious now that China is going to be releasing the rest of the season early. They have already done 3 episodes so far. (One last week and two this week) It kind of sucks that it looks like its ending this way but just in case you want to avoid spoilers please be careful. It's going to be very hard.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:So it is pretty obvious now that China is going to be releasing the rest of the season early.
well it just wouldn't be pony if another country didn't air it before us. it's going out the way it's lived
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The second part of Season 9 returns August 3rd! Even with China releasing the episodes early we won't have to wait long for the US release anyway.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Watched the newest episode! (again anyway. Thanks China) A great return for Cheese Sandwich was glad they brought Weird Al back before the show ended. Still kind of funny how he only got involved because of a brony music video. I thought that the episode was pretty good. I appreciated that Sans Smirk, while dry and business like, wasn't a villain at all. It was actually a surprise. I thought the idea of Pinkie Pie wanting to find her life's purpose interesting but perhaps brought up a bit too late in the series though it was handled well. Cheese was just as fun as last time and the song was the highlight of the episode. Overall I would give it a 8/10 really good return for the final episodes.

Edit: Well Hasbro released the next episode on their app and since I had already watched it when it released in China I'll just put up my thoughts on it now. I thought it was ok. Rainbow was a jerk and I really liked Smoulder in this episode. I honestly felt really bad for the group with the way Rainbow was acting. It was neat to see how they had a team of all unicorns compete with a regular team. The two new cheerleader characters they brought it were cute and enjoyable. Overall I would give it a 6/10 pretty good.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The newest episode A trivial Pursuit was pretty good, not the best episode but it had quite a few good moments here and there.Loved the faces throughout the whole thing, that was the best part. I liked the choices of characters that they used as the other teams. While some of this is something Twilight has kind of learned about before I think it was done well in this episode and I really enjoyed Pinkie in this one. The more and more desperate that Twilight was becoming with the rules and stuff really made the episode though. I also felt bad for Pinkie near the end, she wasn't really doing anything wrong just trying to have fun. I also loved her naming just a bunch of fandom ship names that was cool.Overall I would give this one a 7/10.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I almost forgot to put up a review here :lol: The Summer Sun Setback is a very interesting episode. I really, really liked a lot of it. The villains little secondary plot was very good. It all came together so well and Chrysalis idea near the end about breaking up pony unity is going to come back for sure, even if I had not seen the previews for the final episodes. I liked Tierk stealing the pie, that was just kind of adorably evil honestly. Twilight handled everything pretty well and its nice to see how much she has changed over these seasons (with one tiny exception of trivia trot.) The rest of the Mane Six's plan was understandable and I really enjoyed how Applejack had the answer all along yet again. Overall I would give this one a solid 8/10 extremely good and you can see the set up for the finale being built here.

Edit: So the rest of the episodes just got released early in the Netherlands. Be very, very, very careful online for a while if you are waiting for the US releases.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The newest episode She Talks to Angel is honestly really good. It was exactly what I expected it to be but it was executed really well. We all finally get to know more about Angel Bunny which was nice and it was good to see Fluttershy's work with the sanctuary on a daily basis. Angel Bunny was super neat in Fluttershy's body, it was hilarious to see him go about town and try to talk to everyone. I also really liked the "I want to Marry Discord" part. That blew so many peoples minds when it leaked. It was also nice to see how despite being a jerk he really does care about Fluttershy in the end he just wanted way to much attention and it was nice to see him open up to the other animals. Overall 8/10
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Alright new episode time in America. Dragon Dropped was neat. I loved the return of Gabby didn't think she would show up again and she pairs well with Spike honestly. Rarity is really odd in this episode I don't hate her but she is so clearly going overboard here. She has a serious jealousy streak in her that she needs to work out. Spike was great in this one as well as I said he pairs really great with Gabby and I like the bond that they clearly share. I understand why some people would ship them. I kind of do myself now. Rarity made up for most of her issues in this episode by the end. There were just a tons of cute moments throughout and I found it fairly enjoyable. 8/10 for me.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

New American Episode time! A Horse Shoe In was a great episode.The Trixie Starlight dynamic just works so well. I like the other characters they picked to be in the running it was fun seeing them run the classes and get a bit of character development. I really thought that Octavia was going to get the spot until the end. While I understand why Sunburst got it I feel its a bit of a missed opportunity to have a background character be upgraded. Trixie is a interesting choice as counselor but it honestly does work. She may be rude and egotistical but she clearly cares and is much smarter than she seems. Her advice isn't that bad. I really loved her comeback to Grandpa Gruff that was a great moment. Overall 9/10 one of the best of the season.