My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

IceKitsune

Re: My Little Pony

Post by IceKitsune »

mariomarc wrote:so did anyone else think this was ripping of the plot of the wallace and gromet movie a bit
This kind of plot has been done tons of times before that movie. Its not ripping off just one thing here really
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There's only so many family-friendly vampire plots out there.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Am I the only one who finds bat ponies to be so much more adorable than regular ones? No matter what, the show, fanart, whatever, bat ponies are just always cuter to me. (When drawn in the show or similar style. I'm sure there are some terrifying pictures of them if you look...)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I find them to be equally as adorable. The shows style is just far to easy to make very adorable.

Edit: Episode 12 Synopisis Well it looks like the Weird Al episode was only off by one. I really really really can't wait for this one! Its gonna be great!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Watched "BATS!", Good episode. Fantastic animation, nice lessons (two for the price of one!), and some great character interactions. I feel weird saying it, but the song was actually my least-favorite part of the episode. I thought it was merely average.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Yeah, the Season 4 songs so far leave much to be desired. :/
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

The Blue Fox wrote:Yeah, the Season 4 songs so far leave much to be desired. :/
They can't all be home runs you know.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well actually, I thought "Hearts as Strong as Horses" was pretty good. *shrug* Anyway, we still have plenty of season 4 episodes to go.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

"Hearts as Strong as Horses" has really grown on me. I really feel like the bat song was forced in. Like they went "Okay, let's put a song in this episode. Now where should we put it..." instead of seeing if the episode really had a good spot for a song.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'd agree, but the episode was strong enough that I didn't mind.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I thought it was a pretty cool episode. I loved Fluttershy as a vampire. I laughed a little too hard at Rarity freaking out at the sight of the bat licking the face mask of her NBC suit!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That was a great episode! I really enjoyed Rarity in this episode. The songs were just ok, not my favorites but they were good. Rainbow Dash being excited over the play was great I liked that bit of character building for her. Also that meta conversation between AJ and Dash was so silly. I loved the exploring that they did do of Manehatten, it really adds quite a bit of world building to this show that I really really liked. I think there is going to be a lot of things in the background this episode that are going to take a while to point out.

Also that rainbow shimmer thing came up TWICE in this episode, I though for sure we were going to get a Key when it happened. I swear if this stuff doesn't mean anything I'm going to be pretty angry. Also I can't be the only one who thinks this, but I really do get the feeling that some of these Scripts (pretty much everything besides the opener, Castle Mainia, and Flight to the Finish) are actually hold overs from season 3 with small modifications (likely to the endings mostly) which is why Twilight doesn't fly or do princess stuff in them.

Over all I'm gonna give it a 8.5/10 I would have given a bit longer thoughts on it but I have to get to work.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I enjoyed this ep a great deal. Though I am annoyed that people are already throwing fits about no Derpy. This is the sort of stuff that makes the fandom look childish. Anyway I thought Rarity was perfectly in character thoughout the whole ep, even acting as she does when things don't go so well for her.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

IceKitsune wrote:Rainbow Dash being excited over the play was great I liked that bit of character building for her. Also that meta conversation between AJ and Dash was so silly.
I'm glad they did that. when she was excited, I actually thought "wow, she doesn;t seem the type to get this excited about a musical" and not a second later, they explained that she isn't usually. and then I laughed when they went meta, and at Dash's face when the song started."
IceKitsune wrote:I though for sure we were going to get a Key when it happened.[/spoiler]
it's probably nothing but I noted a pony with a key for a cutie mark in the background during one of the scenes.

onto my own thoughts.
apparently pony can be used as an expletive now. "congratu-pony-lations" instead of "congratu-freaking-lations" or other similar substitutions. also I enjoyed the carrot hot dogs
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I liked the carrot hot dogs. Little attention to detail is nice! Also, the moral of the episode is great, and I loved Rarity's generous side being shown.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

alright, I didn't notice the pun until Equestria Daily pointed it out: They used Applejack as a jack during the song
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:alright, I didn't notice the pun until Equestria Daily pointed it out: They used Applejack as a jack during the song
Yeah I didn't make the connection either at first. I really just noticed how it basically canonized Earth Pony Super Strength further.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8FYn1ZCq5o

I rest my case against that cannon.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well RD can't exactly be counted as your typical pegasus. she probably practices with heavy weights so she goes faster when she doesn't have them. plus AJ was using her front hoof there, her back hooves are probably super strong
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

JeffCvt wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8FYn1ZCq5o

I rest my case against that cannon.
I bring up Cheerilee destroying the front wall of that bridle shop and Big Mac pulling the house from Hearts and Hooves Day, also RD is training to be a Wonderbolt (and is canonically better then the whole Wonderbolts Team to boot) and does so every day, so yeah as Brent said she really isn't typical. Really that that scene would really mean is that RD specifically has Super Strength as well, not that Earth Ponies don't. Even if you don't want to count those things I would call it a clear outlier anyway not supported by the show after that episode.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

My case is this: It's like the difference between a swimmer (Rainbow Dash) and an american football lineman (Applejack). A swimmer is lean and built for speed. A lineman is big and built for power. No one can deny that a good lineman or a good swimmer is athletic, but the average lineman would probably kick the swimmer's butt when it came to anything that required large amounts of brute strength.

Rainbow Dash has no reason to train her front hooves to the point that they are on par (or even better than) an Earth Pony. That won't help her in the air like say... I duno, training her wings and neck? It's like a swimmer training with the same routine as the lineman. It doesn't focus on what HE NEEDS to win the swimming events. If anything, that kind of training would hurt Dash because if she builds unnecessary muscles up, that's going to weigh her down and her flight performance will suffer. (Muscle actually weighs more than fat)

I will give you that Dash is probably stronger than the average Pegasus, but working on a farm, Applejack is probably stronger than the average Earth Pony. If Earth Ponies really do have super strength, Applejack should have won hands down. It was still an equal match.

I will have to concede Cheerilee breaking down the shop door as being from the effects of the potion, so I don't have much there. Big Mac however is clearly stronger than the average pony simply from his build. We have yet to see an equivalent version of him as a Unicorn or Pegasus, so until that happens, I'm not calling his strength from just being an Earth Pony.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Really Super Strength in the context of a show like this (a clearly fantasy one) has nothing or very little to do with muscle. I mean in Sleepless in Ponyville Rainbow Dash kicks straight though 3 tree with complete ease which with your analogy of how she would train would require her to have far to much muscle mass, which would harm her flying. I also bring up her kicking and destroying clouds in Wonderbolts Academy (and various other episodes) while a clearly physically superior looking Pegasus (Snowflake) is clearly having trouble. Based on feats in the show its clear to me Earth Ponies on average have more/better strength then other types, and its possible the other pony types might have some degree of super strength (as we would classify it anyway) as well. Rainbow Dash just happens to be able to match Applejack in terms of strength because of her training.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Applejack also demonstrates that she can kick harder in that same episode. Her rear legs are pretty clearly stronger.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, um, not to interrupt the debate over show minutiae, but I just wanted to come here and say that I've finally finished my big, grand, final MLP fan fiction to end my career as an MLP fan fiction writer. :) Um, would anyone like to read it? I can send a note with the google doc.

Edit: and here's the first chapter on DA.

http://solaris90.deviantart.com/art/Fin ... 1389024952
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Reading the first chapter now Penwrite. I'll give my thoughts when I finish all of them.

Also as a bit of an addendum about the capabilities of the ponies in FiM; fan fiction writers really really really underestimate exactly how powerful Celestia and Luna are. Really any sort of fight with either of them seriously trying would be Cell Saga DBZ style levels of destruction and speed, at a minimum. Though I guess this is kind of a problem in fan fiction in general not just MLP stuff.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:Reading the first chapter now Penwrite. I'll give my thoughts when I finish all of them.

Also as a bit of an addendum about the capabilities of the ponies in FiM; fan fiction writers really really really underestimate exactly how powerful Celestia and Luna are. Really any sort of fight with either of them seriously trying would be Cell Saga DBZ style levels of destruction and speed, at a minimum. Though I guess this is kind of a problem in fan fiction in general not just MLP stuff.
Thanks for the read. Although, I have to disagree about the kind of power Celestia and Luna would be throwing around in a fight. Yeah that fight we saw between Celestia and Nightmare Moon was pretty sweet, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near to DBZ Cell saga.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Reading the first chapter now Penwrite. I'll give my thoughts when I finish all of them.

Thanks for the read. Although, I have to disagree about the kind of power Celestia and Luna would be throwing around in a fight. Yeah that fight we saw between Celestia and Nightmare Moon was pretty sweet, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near to DBZ Cell saga.
They physically (their telekinesis takes effort to move things as shown by Twilight and in the season 4 opener its pretty clear that Luna needed some physical exertion to move the moon) move the sun and the moon on a regular basis (pretty quickly I might add) that level of energy/magical output is far above anyone in Dragon Ball Z. The only thing that holds them back from end DBZ/Battle of the Gods is speed feats which at best are Mach 1000+ (Luna is shown flying from the Moon to their planet in a few minutes most likely in the comics) Even if I was being conservative I wouldn't put them below End Saiyan Saga/Early Namek Saga anyway.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Considering that before Celestia and Luna came around it was just the unicorns moving the sun and moon, I don't think it's as epic a feat as that. All I'm saying is that I really don't see either of them having the ability to blow up the planet, otherwise that fight against Chrysalis would've gone way differently.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:Considering that before Celestia and Luna came around it was just the unicorns moving the sun and moon, I don't think it's as epic a feat as that. All I'm saying is that I really don't see either of them having the ability to blow up the planet, otherwise that fight against Chrysalis would've gone way differently.
I believe it took all the unicorns to raise the sun before Celestia came along (though I can't for the life of me find anywhere it was stated that the Unicorns even did move the sun and moon) so I think that would make it pretty epic. Also that fight against Chrysalis is actually a indicator that Chrysalis powered by Love is just that strong not that Celestia is weak. Also its clear that Celestia held back because she didn't expect her to be that strong anyway. Anyway the point I'm making is that fanfic writers always underestimate how strong they really are anyway.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I believe it was stated in the Hearth's Warming Eve pageant.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:I believe it was stated in the Hearth's Warming Eve pageant.
I thought so too but I can't find it in the Transcript on the Wiki
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:
I gave the episode a watch. Spike says when recounting each tribe's role that the unicorns magically brought forth day and night. Sure it doesn't explicitely say they moved the sun and moon, but I can't think of any other ways that can be taken.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
I gave the episode a watch. Spike says when recounting each tribe's role that the unicorns magically brought forth day and night. Sure it doesn't explicitely say they moved the sun and moon, but I can't think of any other ways that can be taken.
Ah ok then, I was looking for too specific a line. Anyway as I'm kind of done with this discussion for now as it will never go anywhere really. So, if anyone has seen that Rainbow Power toyline its looking more and more like its going to be in the show. Somewhat ironically the designs give a Super Sayian look to them. Especially the hair, I mean seriously just look at Rainbow Dash's hair; all of them really but predominantly RD

Edit: Episodes 13 title revealed as well as Episodes 14 15 and 16s titles as well Given these titles I'm going to resend my thoughts on the first half ending with the Equestria Games for now because that obviously looks very unlikely at this point. Also I'm getting a strange feeling that Megan doesn't really understand what a Season Long Story Arc actually means. If we don't start getting keys in these episodes its pretty obvious she doesn't.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Yeah, kinda funny we got into this big DBZ discussion and suddenly there's crazy manes everywhere, lol. I kinda like them, though. Maybe the box contains rainbow powers.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Lol. Funny you should mention DBZ in a My Little Pony discussion...a few artists around the net have already gone and attributed the ponies with DBZ-esque powers...mostly with Rainbow Dash...seriously just do a google image search of Super Rainbow Dash. You'll love how she looks. :mrgreen:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

To continue the funny, Ian James Corlett, the father of Sweetie Belle's voice actress, briefly voiced Goku in the original Funimation dub.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

actually it was the Ocean Group dub, not Funimation, but the point still stands
IceKitsune wrote:Edit: Episodes 13 title revealed as well as Episodes 14 15 and 16s titles as well Given these titles I'm going to resend my thoughts on the first half ending with the Equestria Games for now because that obviously looks very unlikely at this point. Also I'm getting a strange feeling that Megan doesn't really understand what a Season Long Story Arc actually means. If we don't start getting keys in these episodes its pretty obvious she doesn't.
How do we know the keys will actually look like keys. maybe we've been getting them the whole time and they don't look like keys. maybe they're a shadow pony, a vampire pony fang and a spool of rainbow thread?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:actually it was the Ocean Group dub, not Funimation, but the point still stands
IceKitsune wrote:Edit: Episodes 13 title revealed as well as Episodes 14 15 and 16s titles as well Given these titles I'm going to resend my thoughts on the first half ending with the Equestria Games for now because that obviously looks very unlikely at this point. Also I'm getting a strange feeling that Megan doesn't really understand what a Season Long Story Arc actually means. If we don't start getting keys in these episodes its pretty obvious she doesn't.
How do we know the keys will actually look like keys. maybe we've been getting them the whole time and they don't look like keys. maybe they're a shadow pony, a vampire pony fang and a spool of rainbow thread?
Really? Huh, wikipedia Funi, but I trust your word more than its.

Also, vampire pony fang? I like the way you think.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:actually it was the Ocean Group dub, not Funimation, but the point still stands
Outside of the Spool they already admitted on twitter the others mean nothing other then ending gags. Its possible they are lying though. It also wouldn't fit in the key holes we saw on the box anyway. Though its possible they will transform into actual keys I guess but I really think that is kind of too subtle for a kids show like this.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

After watching the Manehattan episode again, this time with my brother, I feel safe in saying that it's my fave S4 episode so far, and one of my fave episodes of the show. Animation seemed even better than usual, especially the range of faces characters made. The conflict was believable and seemed natural for Rarity to face at some point in her life. Suri was a great antagonist, realistically mean but not downright evil. Coco Pommel was adorable and I really liked how her character worked out. Something I find really interesting about this episode is that it makes moves to explore the positive influence our mane six have on the ponies around them.

Edit: also, I must admit to a tiny amount of disappointment that they didn't go through with something as groundbreaking as actually writing Rarity out of the show. I think it would have been interesting to see, say, Coco Pommel trying to fill Rarity's shoes at the Carousel Boutique, slowly becoming a valued friend to the others as well.

Oh well, there's always fan fiction.