My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Sleet »

I loved the Fluttershy comic. The ending was so cute! ^_^
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

I was wondering if I would see a thread about the show here.
I am a fan of the show my self, even did a college paper on the show once.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Crimson wrote:I was wondering if I would see a thread about the show here.
I am a fan of the show my self, even did a college paper on the show once.
Hey, that's neat! :D I did an article on it in my college newspaper. Writing buddies! :D
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Penwrite wrote:
Hey, that's neat! :D I did an article on it in my college newspaper. Writing buddies! :D
How was the article received?
RP Characters:
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

A few spoilers from the upcoming Journel of the two sisters have come out. Lots of interesting back story on early equestria and the princesses are in there. Some things are going to make people rage for sure I can tell you that already.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Crimson wrote:
Penwrite wrote:
How was the article received?
Pretty well, if I recall.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I just finished the new FF it was pretty good, the Diamond Dogs needed a bit more fleshing out but the story was cute and I loved the artwork. It was also nice to see Trixie again and get a bit more character development with her. RD was good in this one as well the two of them worked pretty well together I have to say. Over all 8/10 cute little read great for RD or Trixie fans for sure.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, I finally got around to watching the S4 finale (Yeah, I know, took my time with it). Overal it was fine. Best part for me was the awesome fight scene between Twilight and Tirek.

Speaking of, how does Tirek rank for y'all among the big bads of the show? Though Tirek was great, King Sombra's still my favorite big villain.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I still like Discord the best. Tirek was good, but I just don't think any other villain is going to have that combination of... non evilness(?) and randomness that not only makes Discord my favorite villain of the show, but my favorite ever.

Tirek was an awesome villain though. That fight scene is the kind of stuff that puts this show on the same level or above other cartoons.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Discord is a great character in general. Not just a great villain.

Also, I liked seeing Trixie as a protagonist in the comic!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Penwrite wrote:So, I finally got around to watching the S4 finale (Yeah, I know, took my time with it). Overal it was fine. Best part for me was the awesome fight scene between Twilight and Tirek.

Speaking of, how does Tirek rank for y'all among the big bads of the show? Though Tirek was great, King Sombra's still my favorite big villain.
Sombra was eh. Tirek was pretty darn good. And wow Penwrite, what took you so long?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I take issue with Sombra. He barely was developed as a villain at all. He could have been replaced with an environmental evil rather than a person and the episode wouldn't have suffered one bit.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

My favorite has to be Queen Chrysalis with Discord coming in a pretty close second. There are two reasons Chrysalis wins out, one she is a villian that brought a whole new race with her, and two I hate to say it, but Discord is basically a somewhat evil Q from TNG. I love the heck out of both Discord and Q but Discord has been done before so it diminishes him somewhat.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:I take issue with Sombra. He barely was developed as a villain at all. He could have been replaced with an environmental evil rather than a person and the episode wouldn't have suffered one bit.
You know, I would argue that King Sombra was one of the better-developed villains in the show. It just takes some analysis of what he does and did (the intricate Crystal Heart traps) to figure out.

And to Foxstar, I don't know. I just saw pics of Twilight's castle, and I saw the name of the finale to be Twilight's Kingdom, and I worried that it'd be really disappointing to me. And I was right, as it definitely ranks as my least-favorite finale.

On a vaguely related note, I find it partly amusing and partly annoying that King Sombra remains the only big bad to actually die in the show. I mean, Tirek was killed in the original 80s special, but only imprisoned here. Hm.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well I just read the end to the current arc (#20) I thought it was an ok ending. Nothing really great but not bad either. Really this is how I felt about the whole arc, while I don't think it was a complete disappointment like a lot of fans do. I think it did have a few flaws here and there that brought it down. Not enough diverse set up for Alt Equestria, it focused far to much on Sombra and the Mane 6. It never explained why Celestia went back after all those years at all, there are two reasons generally brought up with that either Celestia just really wanted to see Sombra again after over 1000 years, which I find kind of stupid to assume. Or Sombra asked her for help. Which I think is much more likely.

The ending was also kind of silly and I don't understand how it helped the instability at all by making Alt Equestria more like the main one when the issue was they were becoming to similar in the first place.
Look I think this arc does get a lot of stupid hate (mostly for Celestia being in love and most people thinking the arc would be The princesses and the Mane 6 vs. their evil counterparts and being run a marathon when it wasn't that and not giving it a chance) but its not perfect for sure.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I'm finally getting caught up on my MLP comics after Plan 9 Comics, the worst comic shop in the world, shut down and the new comic shop is getting up to speed. i had to buy them online. The Zecora/Fluttershy issue was very cute. I liked the explanation to the animals talking.

The Rainbow Dash/Trixie was even better. The scenes where her crown started getting larger and slipping off her head while she was pontificating was great. And I loved the random bits of political terminology that that one diamond dog was spouting off.

I still need to get caught up with the regular series.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So I have something to ask you guys. What are your favorite non-pony races on the show?

Even though they weren't fleshed out much in the show, I personally love the changelings. I have read a few different fan fictions that depict them all in different ways, and it's amazing just how different of a character they are to build off of in really interesting and cool ways.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I love the griffons. I wanna see more of them.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

well if it's actually a race and not just Discord, it's Draconequus for me. Otherwise I'd say changelings.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

I like Griffons as well. But then again I always have besides the series.
RP Characters:
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Dragons. Everyone should be dragons.

"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:well if it's actually a race and not just Discord, it's Draconequus for me. Otherwise I'd say changelings.
I'm still confused why they made up a species for him when they could have just referred to him as a chimera. It's not like they've ever shied away from actual fantasy/mythological creatures before.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Dragons. Everyone should be dragons.

Without the dragon wings, she kinda looks more like a dinosaur. Still, she looks pretty awesome. :3
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Changelings or Zebra would be the ones I want to see more then anything. Anything else would be nice though as well
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:I'm still confused why they made up a species for him when they could have just referred to him as a chimera. It's not like they've ever shied away from actual fantasy/mythological creatures before.
It's cause there's only one true chimera, and that's the goat/snake/lion(well, they used a tiger) combo they had in "somepony to watch over me".
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:well if it's actually a race and not just Discord, it's Draconequus for me. Otherwise I'd say changelings.
I'm still confused why they made up a species for him when they could have just referred to him as a chimera. It's not like they've ever shied away from actual fantasy/mythological creatures before.
Chimeras aren't generally known to have absolute chaotic powers over reality.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I like the timberwolves.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

And unicorns aren't generally known to be telekinetic. :P
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Sleet wrote:I'm still confused why they made up a species for him when they could have just referred to him as a chimera. It's not like they've ever shied away from actual fantasy/mythological creatures before.
It's cause there's only one true chimera, and that's the goat/snake/lion(well, they used a tiger) combo they had in "somepony to watch over me".
That showed up later though!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:It's cause there's only one true chimera, and that's the goat/snake/lion(well, they used a tiger) combo they had in "somepony to watch over me".
That showed up later though![/quote]
I wasn't saying that's the only chimera they have and that's why they didn't call , I'm saying that a Chimera is a specific kind of fusion of animals in this universe (because it is in mythology): big cat, goat, and snake.

dragon+ horse + whatever else is in Discord isn't an actual Chimera, or any existing creature.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

This show.

I don't like it. Or hate it.

I just don't care about it.
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'm not really sure why you'd post in the thread for it, then.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

but thanks for not hating it, I suppose.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Deske

Post by Deske »

It's an okay show. My friend like it, I just don't see the appeal to it, or why anyone would devote so much to it.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

The appeal of it is that it's supposed to be a girly show, but it's not really written so. Even though I call myself a brony, I don't find the show itself to be anything special when compared to other cartoons that are considered good.

The reason why it's so easy to "devote so much to it" is probably because of the fandom that formed. The very first people to watch the show (outside of the target demographic that is) were probably some guys with young sisters/cousins/daughters that watched it. When they found out it wasn't "girly", they told other people, some watched it, and the cycle continued.

As more people watched, some started making the occasional drawing or two, writing fanfiction, and talking about the show in general.

Once that happened, there was a lot more than just the show to become interested in, and the fandom took off.

Heck, I know people in the fandom who don't watch the show anymore, but still read fics and look at art and stuff. It becomes a common ground for people to meet and talk about, just like the common ground for people on this forum is Housepets.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Nothing is for everyone, so it's not like anyone isn't allowed to not like it, but its appeal comes from multiple places.

For starters, it's cute, charming, well-written, and well-animated. It's just an overall well-done cartoon. It's also squeaky clean and full of innocent wonder, yet doesn't blatantly pander to children at the expense of adults. Very few shows can this be said about. The characters are fairly deep and likable, and there's good humor and tasteful amounts of action here and there as well. Additionally, it's one of the rare things that people can enjoy both ironically and unironically. The irony of adult fans (particularly males) enjoying something targeted primarily at little girls is amusing, but at the same time, it's still good so it's not like you need to force yourself to sit through something bad just to be amused by the irony.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:Nothing is for everyone, so it's not like anyone isn't allowed to not like it, but its appeal comes from multiple places.

For starters, it's cute, charming, well-written, and well-animated. It's just an overall well-done cartoon. It's also squeaky clean and full of innocent wonder, yet doesn't blatantly pander to children at the expense of adults. Very few shows can this be said about. The characters are fairly deep and likable, and there's good humor and tasteful amounts of action here and there as well. Additionally, it's one of the rare things that people can enjoy both ironically and unironically. The irony of adult fans (particularly males) enjoying something targeted primarily at little girls is amusing, but at the same time, it's still good so it's not like you need to force yourself to sit through something bad just to be amused by the irony.
This about sums it up. I also would like to add that it has a wonderful cast and production team behind it. It's rare to find makers of a show who are so friendly and in contact with its fans, you know what I mean?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Read the new Friends Forever. It was pretty nice, a good bit of characterization for Luna; her and Pinkie surprisingly work well off each other IMO. The comdey wasn't super great or anything but the moments between the two of them make up for that quite a bit. 8/10 for me worth a read.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

just a quick note, CaptainPea's comic Three Apples just got featured on EqD's Tumblr spotlight. So good for him for achieving a moderate amount of fame in the pony fandom. slightly less moderate than when before when his one off comics were on there.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That is seriously great. His comic is really, really good.