My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Penwrite »

I feel absolutely terrible. You wanna know why? I want to support Hey Ocean!, the ban Rainbow Dash and Applejack's voice actress is a part of, but... I don't like any of their songs. At all. :cry:
exranio

Post by exranio »

I dunno what to tell yeah bro.
That's quite the problem you put upon yourself.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

hey guys. have some diabetes
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:hey guys. have some diabetes

Here's mine

http://gifsound.com/?gif=http%3A%2F%2Fw ... k&start=18
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Kyderra wrote:

Here's mine

It... syncs... perfectly! :shock: :D
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Penwrite wrote:I feel absolutely terrible. You wanna know why? I want to support Hey Ocean!, the ban Rainbow Dash and Applejack's voice actress is a part of, but... I don't like any of their songs. At all. :cry:
You can't like everything a actor does, so don't sweat it.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Kyderra wrote:

Here's mine

You need to put this on youtube! Its fantastic!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Given the necklace she is wearing, the color of her magic and the red color her eyes flashed, maybe Trixie has fallen under the influence of King Sombra! He may not be able to return to corporeal form, but maybe he is exerting his influence in other ways!

It will be interesting to find out who gave her that necklace.
This is my current thoughts as well. I first suspected a "dark force" at work when EQD released some pics of Trixie wearing that necklace/pendant/brooch thing some time ago. Then when they confirmed King Sombra as a character, he became my primary suspect; mostly based on the similarity in color scheme.

And now that we've seen the red glow in Trixie's eyes, as well as knowing that Sombra's horn survived the explosion at the end of episode two (and judging from earlier in the opener, also appears to have regenerative abilities), I think it is all but confirmed that King Sombra will be returning and that he has something to do with Trixie's sudden return and the magnification of her magical abilities.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I find this 238.8847596% funnier than I probably should.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Oh! Also, I've starting working on a cover-ception of Becoming Popular. I just discovered TheLivingTombstone's rock/electronic cover he did almost a year ago, and it sounded so different from all the other takes I've heard that I just HAD to give it a shot.

It still needs a lot of work: I've only recorded about 2/3 of the vocals, the mixing still needs some touching up, and there are a couple points that I just messed up the rhythm or hit a note poorly, but overall I'm really loving the way it's turning out. Probably my most impressive cover to date (in my own opinion, of course).

You can check it out here if you'd like! :3

I'm hoping to have the finished product up on Youtube within the next week, so if you'd rather wait for that instead, that's cool. I mostly just wanted to post this because I hit a really awesome note at the end, and I'm super proud of myself for it. XD

So yeah.
Radio Blue Heart

I just had a thought about the last episode. Do you think that it would put the Cutie Mark Crusaders into more of a moral quandary if Babs was bullying Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon instead?

Like,

"Applejack. Babs beat up Diamond Tiara and we are not sure if we should care."

Cheerilee: Where did you get that black eye, Diamond Tiara?

Diamond Tiara: I... I...

Babs: Yeah! Where DID you get it?!

Diamond Tiara: I... I fell off the jungle gym!

Babs: That's right!

I mean to say that if you can feel sympathy for someone who has been mean to you, does that make you better than them?

-Virgil
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Alright, everyone must have expected that the necklace would be evil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uOZ1Qyp0f8

Now the question is: was it amde with King sombra's horn or just a random evil drenched amulet? Place your bets. Mine is King Sombr'a stuff since it changes her eye color (I know the color is different from Sombra's, but I hope for some continuity.)
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

It's question time. I would pose this over at EQDaily, but the very nature of EQDaily and it's readers renders them blind to some things and as such, can not give non biased answers.

Do you think Hasbro is able to see any real fiscal gains from the emergence of the FIM fandom?

My answer is 'maybe, but not much if at all' Why? I think Bronies talk a really good game, but when it comes to being a real driving market force, they don't put their money where it counts, but instead stick to fan-made stuff, which is money Hasbro will never see. The FIM fandom is still far too young and if Hasbro barely pays much attention to the just as old and even more vocal Transformers fandom which has far more market power, then FIM has no real chance for their fans to ever have a real effect on how Hasbro makes and sells toys. The few moves Hasbro has made are the easiest to make, but the stuff bronies are demanding is not cheap at all, given that some of it would require new toy molds and a mold is costly stuff.

It is also my feeling that FIM's fandom is a flash in the pan over the ongoing lifespan of a toyline, which is why MLP will always primarily be aimed at it's main base, little preteen girls and the cartoon will reflect that, which is one reason I never understand the 1000 word and plus breakdowns of each episode and the raving that comes when a plot doesn't measure up to bronies high water marks, bronies may be vocal and able to use the amplifying power of the internet to seem larger then they are, but in the end, they do not have the market power that parents of little girls do.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I'll worry about it when the show is done
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Kyderra wrote:I'll worry about it when the show is done
But the fiscal effect would more then likely -also- have a effect on how many seasons FIM has.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I think they will just not as much as they think they will unless they really up the quality of the Toys. However the comic books will get them the most money from the older fandom rather then the toys.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

IceKitsune wrote:I think they will just not as much as they think they will unless they really up the quality of the Toys. However the comic books will get them the most money from the older fandom rather then the toys.
That's true, but like I said, that may mean newer molds which by my understanding are not cheap at all, which is why you don't see just any guy making his own toys. And for Hasbro to want to invest on say..hell, new molds for the Mane 6, the FIM branded stuff on the shelves needs to move much better then it does.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well they do have those Hot Topic toys so they are already investing in newer (and really good looking) Molds for the Mane 6 and a lot of the Background and secondary characters.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

If I'm honest, I have no idea what toy sales look like for FiM merchandise, so I can't really say what sort of impact the brony community has--in comparison to the younger demographic, or otherwise.

All I know is that I personally have little to no interest in the merchandise that Hasbro themselves has been putting out; the comic being the only true exception I can think of. Due to all of the amazing things the fans themselves have been coming up with, I just find it hard to understand why some bronies are still legitimately interested in the toys Hasbro distributes themselves. But I suppose that just comes down to personal taste. And if the massive number of people I've seen and met--who are more than willing to share their collections of plastic, brush-able figurines--are any indicator, even if Hasbro changes nothing at all about the toys they market, there will be bronies who will eagerly offer their patronage.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

The main reason for paying money for the toys, even if they are not completely what you want is because the cartoon's primary reason for being around is to sell toys. If the toylines don't move, Hasbro may go. "Welp, they love the show, but they don't translate into sales. Let's close the book on FIM and relaunch with a different toyline."
Radio Blue Heart

Since I posted one of the comics above. I wanted to take this opportunity to plug the web comic "And That's How Equestria Was Made".

http://equestria.fadri.org/

It is a great comic that deals no only with the show but the fandom and the interest around it. I also love any comic that has references to "Humanoids From The Deep" and "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" in a single strip!

And just for the fun of it, here is a comic that made me bust out laughing when I saw it!

I everyone familiar with Megan the human girl from Gen 1?

Lyra's human obsession is becoming more frightening and more hilarious by the minute!!!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

*looks over at his bookcase, which is quite literally covered in blindbag ponies, McDonald's ponies, those bigger pony figures, a Hot Topic Derpy, and a MLP: FiM DVD*

... I think I'm doing pretty well for myself. Also, on a similar topic, I don't get why people complain about the current pony mold. It looks just fine to me.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Better then me. I own one Fluttershy and that's it. I'm just not hardcore enough of a fan to throw my money at more dust collectors.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Whatever Derpy was made with is nice, at the very least.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

IDW comic spoilers:
this is both disturbing and hilarious
http://cdn.derpiboo.ru/thumbs/1000/900/ ... 326__UNOPT__
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Foxstar wrote:The main reason for paying money for the toys, even if they are not completely what you want is because the cartoon's primary reason for being around is to sell toys. If the toylines don't move, Hasbro may go. "Welp, they love the show, but they don't translate into sales. Let's close the book on FIM and relaunch with a different toyline."
I was referring specifically to bronies who buy the (in my opinion) lesser merchandise that Hasbro has been selling for years, which never received any attention beforehand from any reasonably large group of people outside of the target demographic. The majority of merchandise that Hasbro sells (barring those new figures that recently hit Hot Topic) is basically just re-colors of the same toys they've been selling since the 80s; and those are the toys that I don't understand the appeal of.

I suppose that some bronies may simply like them anyway, or they may just want to support the company, which is fine. However, if your response is also referring to bronies, specifically, then that would seem to conflict with your previous statement:
Foxstar wrote:My answer is 'maybe, but not much if at all'
If sales to bronies are not a driving factor in Hasbro's sales, then how would their buying things (or not buying things) make any difference whatsoever in whether the toyline is "successful" enough for them to continue airing the current iteration of the show?
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

KJOokami wrote:
Foxstar wrote:The main reason for paying money for the toys, even if they are not completely what you want is because the cartoon's primary reason for being around is to sell toys. If the toylines don't move, Hasbro may go. "Welp, they love the show, but they don't translate into sales. Let's close the book on FIM and relaunch with a different toyline."
I was referring specifically to bronies who buy the (in my opinion) lesser merchandise that Hasbro has been selling for years, which never received any attention beforehand from any reasonably large group of people outside of the target demographic. The majority of merchandise that Hasbro sells (barring those new figures that recently hit Hot Topic) is basically just re-colors of the same toys they've been selling since the 80s; and those are the toys that I don't understand the appeal of.

I suppose that some bronies may simply like them anyway, or they may just want to support the company, which is fine. However, if your response is also referring to bronies, specifically, then that would seem to conflict with your previous statement:
Foxstar wrote:My answer is 'maybe, but not much if at all'
If sales to bronies are not a driving factor in Hasbro's sales, then how would their buying things (or not buying things) make any difference whatsoever in whether the toyline is "successful" enough for them to continue airing the current iteration of the show?
Bronies are buying stuff, but not enough of it really and most of their income goes to non-Hasbro coffers. A large number of them, or at least the vocal part is. "I'm not buying XXX till it looks good as ZXY fan-thing, which basicly wants Hasbro to retool various lines in the hopes of gaining the fickle dollars of bronies, where little girls by and large do not care
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Foxstar wrote:
KJOokami wrote:
Foxstar wrote: Bronies are buying stuff, but not enough of it really and most of their income goes to non-Hasbro coffers. A large number of them, or at least the vocal part is. "I'm not buying XXX till it looks good as ZXY fan-thing, which basicly wants Hasbro to retool various lines in the hopes of gaining the fickle dollars of bronies, where little girls by and large do not care
The stuff they do buy is instantly out of stock.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

mariomarc wrote:IDW comic spoilers:
this is both disturbing and hilarious
http://cdn.derpiboo.ru/thumbs/1000/900/ ... 326__UNOPT__
Disturlarious?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

But until the money they hope to gain from us exceeds what it would cost them to do it, there's no reason not to focus on little girls, and keep our appeal to a side thing.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I've encontered a quite nice grimdark fanfic crossover with Joe Carpenter's "The Thing". But I was very saddened that Spike died soon in the story. T_T
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Radio Blue Heart

angelusbr wrote:I've encontered a quite nice grimdark fanfic crossover with Joe Carpenter's "The Thing". But I was very saddened that Spike died soon in the story. T_T
You mean John Carpenter.

Penwrite did a "The Thing" inspired fan fic. Could that be the one?
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
angelusbr wrote:I've encontered a quite nice grimdark fanfic crossover with Joe Carpenter's "The Thing". But I was very saddened that Spike died soon in the story. T_T
You mean John Carpenter.

Penwrite did a "The Thing" inspired fan fic. Could that be the one?
No no, I don't kill Spike in my fic. There have actually been at least two Thing-inspired fics other than mine.

Also, I know this is really rather late, but it just occurred to me that Sombra would have won even if Spike had gone with Twilight always, because then he would have been caught by the Greatest Fear Door at the same time as Twilight and wouldn't have been able to snap her out of it.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Yeah. It was John Carpenter. I had one name in mind and I wrote another one. :?
the fic I'm talking about is this one
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/12/s ... inter.html
Penwrite, can you send me the link of your fic? I would like to check it out.
as for King Sombra winning, I think you're right. Spike snapped Twilight out of her fear and she snapped him out of it. If the two were caught at the same time...then it would have been game over.
Radio Blue Heart

Here is a sweet little fan comic that I found on Tumblr called "Heartstrings". I will be blunt. It is a shipping comic but it is romantic, not explicit. It is about how Lyra and Bonbon met. It also addresses the "Lyra wants to be human" thing. It suggests that an amnesiac Lyra may be a human that was transformed into a pony.

http://heartstringscomic.tumblr.com/

I am warming up to the "Lyra wants to be human" fandom thing. It has a lot of comedic potential, especially that comic I posted above where Lyra darted and kidnapped Megan. I am beginning to really like her. But then again, the only ponies that I don't care for are Snips and Snails, and Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I already read all the comics you're posting, RBH :lol:

"and that's how Equestria Was Made" is in my favorites, and I follow Heartstrings comic on Tumblr.

I also recommend Horse Power Comics
only 5 strips in so far, but it updates every Thursday
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I already read all the comics you're posting, RBH :lol:

"and that's how Equestria Was Made" is in my favorites, and I follow Heartstrings comic on Tumblr.

I also recommend Horse Power Comics
only 5 strips in so far, but it updates every Thursday
"No! I said 'meme'!"
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Okay, I know I say this a lot, but I just realized something. Way back in the two-parter of season 2, when they first tried to use the Elements of Harmony to stop Discord, the elements worked for a moment before quitting, obviously because the group didn't represent them anymore.

What occurred to me was that while Twilight, Pinkie, AJ, Rarity, and Fluttershy all lifted up, Spike stayed on the ground. Does anyone else find it weird that the Elements only work for ponies?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:Okay, I know I say this a lot, but I just realized something. Way back in the two-parter of season 2, when they first tried to use the Elements of Harmony to stop Discord, the elements worked for a moment before quitting, obviously because the group didn't represent them anymore.

What occurred to me was that while Twilight, Pinkie, AJ, Rarity, and Fluttershy all lifted up, Spike stayed on the ground. Does anyone else find it weird that the Elements only work for ponies?
That is not what that means at all, Spike was not the Element of Loyalty so it didn't work for him it wasn't because he wasn't a Pony. The reason it lifted them up even a little bit was because while they didn't represent them completely anymore they still did on some level it was just hidden by what Discord did to them.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I say they didn't even have to represent the elements at all. The other elements just recognized the ponies as their current bearers, so they tried to work but didn't have enough power behind it.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets