My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

exranio

Re: My Little Pony

Post by exranio »

My only problem with the Tirek fight was that the fight didn't even end it. Now the fight led to the key which gave them the rainbow power to end it, but yet again the end amounts to "lets blast him with the big beam". Now if they got rainbow power and then fought him again together but shorter, I would have been satisfied.

Far as the mainsix versus the forces of evil go I actually think Sombra's episode was the best (and to a certain extent the first half of the Tirek stuff) because fending off Sombra is when it felt like they did the most actual work. Everything to defeat Chrysalis was last minute, defeating discord was kind stumbling around for 44 minutes, and Nightmare Moon seemed big at the time but was a slightly dangerous trek trough the woods. Those were all great and all, but to defeat Sombra they had to interrogate townspeople, research the culture, collect everything to set up a fair with just a six of them in a day, and then keep everyone distracted and happy, while keeping Sombra at bay, and while searching for the crystal heart.

Its the one time to me where it feels like the main six did a lot more work than blasting something with the elements. It involved a lot of on the spot planning and actual teamwork for once. Which is why I like the first half of Tirek's episodes cause they're doing all that research, and there's that cool scene with the princesses as they discuss their plan for how to deal with them, and the "our plan is the put all the magic in you part". But then the teamwork and planning goes away by the second half when no one is actually capable of doing anything in the situation except Twilight. Okay I' guess its two problems with the episode but I liked it over all, and I don't think having a fight was the big detraction there.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok I need someone who is a fan of Fallout Equestria to explain this series to me (not like the basics I've played and know the story of the Fallout series.) what exactly do you like about it? I've read a bit of the original and I'm up to chapter 22 in Project Horizons and the whole thing rests on characters acting like morons.

Every character in the past is completely out of character and just passes around the idiot ball like it was candy, Celestia seems to have one permanently attached to her. Its basically like the past characters are just OC with little bits of the Mane 6s (and others when applicable) personality painted on to them when its convenient.

I really like some of the original characters (Black Jack, P-21, and Calamity being the big ones right now) and the idea is cool, its not like I have an issue with the merging of grimdark and pony. Its just its implemented so poorly, why are the stables anything other then just safe houses for the citizens? How is it in character for any of the characters to endorse or just let that stuff happen? I haven't seen a whole lot of stables; so maybe the experiments are very rare? but why are there any experiments at all? Why is Twilight apparently ok with Rarity changing history books? (even if she is saving originals) What part of Twilights personality (even back in season 1 and 2 when this started) suggest she would do something other then expose this right away?

There are others but those are the big ones that its just really hard for me to get around right now, I want to enjoy this series I really, really do but way to much of it is just Character holds idiot ball so a bad thing can happen. Namely my chief example being the one that made me make this post in the first place; Rivets feeding the infected Raider Ponies into the the food recycling of Stable 99 in Chapter 22. There is no other reason for this other then the writer need a bad thing to happen so he/she gave Rivets the idiot ball to play with. She knew the Raiders were infected, she knew what would happen when she did it; because it literally just got finished happening a few days ago.

The reason I want to understand here is because usually when I don't like a story I can at least understand why others do, this one I just don't get really, maybe people just ignore the stupid parts in it and just focus on the characters that they like. However to me the dumb parts of the story just kind of overwhelm the characters no matter how much I like them.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

the answer is probably simple: ignoring the poor characterization because they like both source materials. or maybe they just don't care about out of character actions? they might just treat it as you said, as OCs with little bits of the mane 6 instead of badly written mane 6.

you said yourself you like some of the original characters, maybe they just aren't as bothered by what you're bothered by, so they don't have that hurdle to get over to like it. this comes from a guy who hasn't read FOE, but has experience liking things other hate, despite acknowledging that the reasons they hate it are valid points.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Yeah your likely right. For some reason (likely because I do love both source materials a lot) I just felt the need to rant about it, just to get it out of my head. I also just wanted to make sure that I'm just not misunderstanding something here, something vital to enjoying this series that I skipped or something I guess, because as I said I love both Fallout and FiM I just keep thinking that I should enjoy this series a great deal. However maybe this is a case of two great things that just don't good well together for me or something. There are a lot of good things in it I will give it that, things that do keep me trying to read it (characters being first among them) so its not like I think its all terrible or anything its just like if good actors were hired to act in a mediocre script that just needed a few more rewrites and it would be good.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Just read issue 27 and I really love how this arc is shaping up! The Deer are a cool new sentient race, obviously inspired by the elves from "Lord of the Rings". LOTR as well as "Princess Mononoke", (possibly "Hellboy 2: The Golden Army") and "The Lorax" seem to be influences. It was very amusing to see Rarity swoon over Blackthorn and for Spike to get so jealous. The ending joke with Celestia and Luna was great. Its just that Well-To-Do seems to be a generic evil capitalist villain. He should not have been able to defy Twilight so easily given her status.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Season 5 Trailer! Oh man this looks so good! Sadly no air date yet outside of Spring of this year.

Ok, in a screen cap from the scene where they see all the cutie marks on that board thing; You can clearly see the Lance (or Spear) of Longinus which is very clearly modeled after the one from Neon Genesis Evangelion. I just felt the need to point that out.
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

IceKitsune wrote:Season 5 Trailer! Oh man this looks so good! Sadly no air date yet outside of Spring of this year.

Ok, in a screen cap from the scene where they see all the cutie marks on that board thing; You can clearly see the Lance (or Spear) of Longinus which is very clearly modeled after the one from Neon Genesis Evangelion. I just felt the need to point that out.
HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE, just the right time to dive right back into the fandom. Eqd here I come!
All your acorns are belong to us.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Another Season 5 Trailer A bit of new info but not much, looks really good.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm liking this! I just worry that if it's adventure-themed, it'll get too far from the formula that made it good in the first place.

Not to say that what it'd become isn't still great.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

I've been keeping up with the trailers and info myself. like, wow. less than a week and already 2 trailers and a bit of info on the new Equestria GIrls movie. Sounds like Hasbro's marketing and advertisements team is finally coming to life XP
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

FritzyBeat wrote:the new Equestria GIrls movie
Wait, there's a third one in the works?

(Also, just a friendly reminder that from now on, make sure any big spoilers and whatnot are put in spoiler tags.)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

I have some bad news. "Big" Jim Miller has declared that the show and the comics are separate entities, with the show influencing the comic but the comic will not influence the show. So no hippie ponies, Nightmare Rarity, Everfree Deer, Anubian Jackals or any of the other creatures or stories will not make their way into the show. This is kind of a bummer after they said it was a possibility at the comiccon panel.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well he may have meant that there's no guarantee that anything in the comics will show up in the show, but that doesn't mean someone on staff might see the comic and think "hey, that's interesting, I'll see if I can get it in the show"

whereas the comics can and almost definitely will add things that show up in the show.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I have some bad news. "Big" Jim Miller has declared that the show and the comics are separate entities, with the show influencing the comic but the comic will not influence the show. So no hippie ponies, Nightmare Rarity, Everfree Deer, Anubian Jackals or any of the other creatures or stories will not make their way into the show. This is kind of a bummer after they said it was a possibility at the comiccon panel.
Ok I really don't get this, I'm almost positive that they said this EXACT SAME THING when the comics first started. This is not new info we have know this for years now. Also it doesn't mean that the comics are not canon to the show, it means that they are a B Canon to the show. Which mean until contradicted by the show, the events of the comics are canon. So many other shows with multiple types of media do this I don't get why its so hard for people in this fandom to wrap their heads around it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah it's not really different from the previous assumption that the comics are canon insofar as they don't contradict the show.

Though I still wouldn't be surprised if an occasional element from the comics entered the show.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Here's an Equestria Daily article further clarifying the situation.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/02/c ... -show.html
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

more season 5 info
I'm uh... not sure how I feel about this.
all of the episode 100 stuff looks like something a staffer would say as a joke. as such, it makes it seem like the whole episode will be a joke and/or majorly pandering to the fans. If this is all real I hope the writers can somehow pull it off without it seeming like a fan-made episode.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Really I'm happy about it, its going to give us some world building outside of the Mane 6 which is really needed. I doubt they will go to hard on it pandering wise, I'm far more worried about the people in the fandom who wont be able to let their head canons go and are going to do nothing but rage about this regardless of what happens in the episode.

I'm curious as to who the main characters of the episode will be, since its mostly background characters. I'm guessing it will be an anthology type deal like say 22 Short Stories About Springfield from The Simpsons. So each will get like a few minutes to tell a small little story and then it will move on to the next set of characters.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have faith that they'll do a good job with it. And if they don't, it will be easy to just ignore it. We can just pretend there was no episode that week. :P
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

New Season 5 Trailer! This one also comes with a release date! April 4th. We are less then a month away from more FIM guys! YAY! Also 100th episode seems to be about Cranky and Matilda getting married this should be interesting.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'm excited. but also upset cause I have a thing to do all day and so can't watch it until Sunday evening

SMOOZE!
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'll be watching it on most Saturday mornings! :D
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Even more trailer stuff I'm gonna call some stuff now which seems very likely at this point. The unnamed ponies in the opener are some kind of resistance group and The CMC will get their cutie marks this season. Also I think that the Map will be able to act as a teleporter of some kind for far away and/or time sensitive missions. Also Vinyl and Octivia are likely major characters in a scene together! YAY!
Radio Blue Heart

I just read the latest "Friends Forever" and I have to say that it is one of the best. I admit that I am biased because it is a Luna story. I really like the concept of peaceful dragons that are different from the wild migratory dragons living in pony cities. its moments like this that I am bummed that they are resistant to ideas from the comics becoming part of the show. Its also has good message about being race conscious and profiling since the ponies blame the dragons for a series of fires, the dragons live in an "ethnic neighborhood" based on Chinatown and how the dragons feel unrepresented and without heroes. It was especially driven home when they made the reference to "Dragon Quest" and how Spike wanted to be a pony because he was ashamed to how other dragons acted. Mina was a great character, especially her fangirl outbursts and the hilarious references to shipping. It was a great issue and I hope that they use the dragons more often.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I loved it too! I thought it was super-adorable that Twilight has been alphabetizing a library in her dreams for most of her life. That's so Twilight.

I also liked the references to real-world issues in the comic. Replace "dragon" with "girl" in the discussion in the comic shop and you see something quite real.
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:I loved it too! I thought it was super-adorable that Twilight has been alphabetizing a library in her dreams for most of her life. That's so Twilight.

I also liked the references to real-world issues in the comic. Replace "dragon" with "girl" in the discussion in the comic shop and you see something quite real.
Totally! Everyone needs a hero/heroine!

-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Synopsis for Season 5 episode 3 and 4 Don't take these as absolute truth, some other synopsis have come out before that where fake. These are however from a site that has gotten it right before and they look rather likely so they might be the actual episodes.

First we have the episode dealing with Twilights castle and the fallout from losing the Lybrairy Tree. This is one I'm really looking forward to can't wait for it, even if this synopsis is fake we know we are getting this kind of episode for sure.

Secondly it looks like AB finally gets her visit from Luna and a lot of people are speculating she gets her Cutie Mark in this one, you really could take the wording either way I guess, either she has her cutie mark and the anxiety is about that or its from not having it yet.

Really excited if these are real, Its sooo close now. :D
Radio Blue Heart

Mina and her struggle for social consciousness has really struck a cord with fans!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Not entirely sure why, but I'm reading Mina with a slightly Hispanic accent.

I respect the comic writers for daring to go somewhere so uncomfortable for their story.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

She's so cute. :3 I'd like to see her make an appearance on the show sometime, even in the background.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

"Scaly Sue" xD
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:She's so cute. :3 I'd like to see her make an appearance on the show sometime, even in the background.

Oh, it gets better...

This character has also garnered a lot of fan interest. She is basically us. Also, I think she made a reference to one of my favorite comics, Mike Mignola's "Hellboy" when she said "We're fire proof, they're not!"

Hey, Penwrite. Since the next comic is going to be about Cheerilee and masked wrestlers, didn't you have a fan fic written about that very combination.
-Virgil
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Happy Birthday, Discord! :P
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Not that I recall, sorry. :(

Also, for some reason shipping Luna and Sombra seems hilarious to me. I wonder if they'll continue that trend/running gag in the upcoming King Sombra origin comic.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really appreciated the new comic! I thought it was kinda cute, but coulda used more references.

It's neat it came out right before Wrestlemania, though!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

here's a playlist of a youtuber, Caleb Hyles, covering a bunch of pony songs
and since he didn't include the first two
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

I still haven't got the new comic yet. I liked how the "root of the problem" story ended. You can't go wrong with the evil capitalist being attacked by the outraged creatures he has wronged and being eaten by a hydra.

I saw a preview of the Sombra comic. I think it might fit nicely with a certain fan project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDNTNXtsN1Y
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Whew. I just finished rewatching the first four seasons of Friendship is Magic. I thought I had an extra week, but it turns out it's this Saturday! But I'm caught up now! :D

I probably won't get to watch it this Saturday, sadly. I'll maybe watch it Sunday night?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I finished the opener of the new season. Thought it was excellent and it seemed to set up a returning villain and a new arc for the season. I can't wait to see if they do anything with either plot point this season for sure!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

This opener was fantastic! Top-notch animation and voicework as usual, a creepy-as-heck villain, and just an overall dark atmosphere for most of it. A lot darker than you expect from children's programming, and definitely of a different kind than Tirek or Queen Chrysalis.

I hope we see some of the episodes' side characters again.