My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Personally, I love most fan efforts. I never fail to find something amusing whenever I look up Equestria Daily.

Still, not all of them have Penwrite's talent, and it takes a certain amount of bravery to post something and have it torn apart by internet critics, the worse kind there are.

Besides, even if I read something that is bad, I did it because I had free time to read. Not that I was forced to read it.

I just read the latest issue of the comic and thought it was fantastic! I loved all the horror film references. And the little deconstruction that Rarity does of the Phantom. Never dating a musician that lives in a basement. The last page was nothing short of hilarious!

I also like the little post script that explained where Celestia and Spike were that whole time! Spike with a trident, riding on the Princess's back as she leads her troops into battle against the cockatrices was a nice image.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yes I liked that part a lot. Though I almost wish they never showed any of that and left it up to the imagination.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Personally, I love most fan efforts. I never fail to find something amusing whenever I look up Equestria Daily.

Still, not all of them have Penwrite's talent, and it takes a certain amount of bravery to post something and have it torn apart by internet critics, the worse kind there are.

Besides, even if I read something that is bad, I did it because I had free time to read. Not that I was forced to read it.

I just read the latest issue of the comic and thought it was fantastic! I loved all the horror film references. And the little deconstruction that Rarity does of the Phantom. Never dating a musician that lives in a basement. The last page was nothing short of hilarious!

I also like the little post script that explained where Celestia and Spike were that whole time! Spike with a trident, riding on the Princess's back as she leads her troops into battle against the cockatrices was a nice image.
I loved the whole comic arc, but I think that mini-comic at the end of issue four was my favorite part. I remember Faust saying somewhere once that Celestia raised Spike, so it was neat seeing them get some one-on-one time. You know, I'd love an episode exploring Celestia and Spike's relationship. That'd just be neat.

Also, *blushes at all the praise*
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

thought cross their mind, "Gee. I wish I had a pony friend of my own in REAL life."
There's a term for that and don't bring it here. I'm not joking. It's a stupid term and it's only used as trollbait.
Ursa awards
Usra awards is furry's way of trying to legitimize itself in the manner of say a Einser or Hugo award. I love Rick and love Housepets, but when you see some of the stuff up for a Usra award, you realize that the bar in the furry fandom is really, really low and that it's creative output is nothing compared to more of the more accepted nerdy fandoms.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:
thought cross their mind, "Gee. I wish I had a pony friend of my own in REAL life."
There's a term for that and don't bring it here. I'm not joking. It's a stupid term and it's only used as trollbait.
Ah yes the "Lets pretend life is actually like Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends and take a religious meditation technique and abuse it." people. They are the strangest part of this fandom (really any fandom actually) I've ever seen.

Also on a better note Season 4 is coming this winter
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:Also on a better note Season 4 is coming this winter
Brace yourselves, winter season is coming.

Someone had to say it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Excited! Gonna snuggle up in a warm blanket with cocoa and ponies!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

character concepts for the Mane6/Lauren Faust game

I spy an alpaca
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

And a deer!
Argent

Post by Argent »

IceKitsune wrote:"Lets pretend life is actually like Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends and take a religious meditation technique and abuse it."
Wait what!?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Argent wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:"Lets pretend life is actually like Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends and take a religious meditation technique and abuse it."
Wait what!?
Yeah, I was a little confused by that too. I feel like I've missed the first two posts of a conversation about wanting ponies in real life, and Foster's Home for Imagination, and religious techniques, and stuff.

So anyway, this is inventive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-8CKFcw ... UiNcgH6FHw
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

There are a bunch of People mostly on 4chans /mlp/ that use (more like twist and abuse) a Hindu (I think) Meditation technique and then pretend that they have a pony imaginary friend with them for real, who can access their subconscious or some such nonsense. The term for which Foxstar doesn't want anyone to use for some reason, its not like its bad or anything just really really dumb. Unless Foxstar was talking about something else then I don't know what term hes talking about.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

IceKitsune wrote:There are a bunch of People mostly on 4chans /mlp/ that use (more like twist and abuse) a Hindu (I think) Meditation technique and then pretend that they have a pony imaginary friend with them for real, who can access their subconscious or some such nonsense. The term for which Foxstar doesn't want anyone to use for some reason, its not like its bad or anything just really really dumb.
Yes that's the term. It's stupid, trolls trolling trolls, etc.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That's... weird.

Anyway, this is sweet. I love nice Trixie. ^^

https://www.deviantart.com/art/Want-to- ... -360658787
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

If you want my number, it's #804080.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So did anyone else read the Rainbow Dash Micro comic? It was pretty good, better then then Twilight one IMO, but they really over did it on the references IMO though I love the David Bowie RD at the end (The logo on the cart for the Pies Applejack makes at the end is Rainbow done up as the cover for Aladdin Sane). That was really cool as was the Double Sonic Rainboom and the use of Tank and Rainbow telling him to tell the others she loves them if she doesn't come back from confronting the cloud the last time. Outside of the over use of some references (which the Twilight one handled better) it was much better then the Twilight comic which I thought was very average.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Mickey the Luxray

brb, dying from le diabeetus overdose.
Radio Blue Heart

They had "My Little Pony" vinyl figures and Mad Monster Party. I they had Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Dr. Whooves and Derpy. I got Derpy. It was so odd to see them next to toys based on "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Halloween".
-Virgil
Argent

Post by Argent »

Like this little pony by Ursula Vernon?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
Radio Blue Heart

The fandom does come up with a great deal of entertaining material. Including some very good satire on the show and the fandom as a whole. Case in point:

I love Derpy.
-Virgil
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

MMmmmhhh...Hey guys.
Seems like a convention of MLP is struggling to meet its crowdfunding and ask for help.

So I will drop this here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cryst ... convention If anyone wants and can help.

**Closed**
Last edited by legendario13 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
Mickey the Luxray

I hope this one doesn't turn into another Unicon. I would donate if I could.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

14 hours to go, and they have 15k to go for the Skull Girls engine for Mane6.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep- ... ls-growing
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Possible Scootaloo not being able to fly episode incoming in season 4 Well unless they want to try with Derpy/Ditzy Doo again which they won't. Though they could do both in the same episode which would be awesome.

Edit: So Double Rainboom just finished premiering and IMO it was bad, really bad. The whole thing tried way to hard to shove in as many memes and fandom things as it could. The whole thing with Rainbow Dash going to the Power Puff Girls world was just horribly bad, and I actually like the PPG. It tried way way to hard and it kind of fell on its face, the animation wasn't even that good really I could easily spot mistakes in running and walking and a few other things. Snowdrops was much better then this and that was just pretty average.

Here is the Youtube link if you want to watch it. Double Rainboom

Also just to note I have no problems with referencing fan stuff or memes at all, its just this did it all the time every minute or two, they over did it completely and it was stupid.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

your description makes me hesitant to watch it
i probably won't watch it

also i hope the disability episode will be about scootaloo
sorry i can't get past that headcanon
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I will say this there is one part I found really funny in it. Its when Rainbow Dash is flying around Ponyville and she passes Rarity with Spike floating behind her love struck and holding her shoping bags, and when the dust cloud from Rainbow Dash dissipates Rarity's mane and tail look like Twilights and Spike runs away from her. Also even though its been quite some time since I watched the Power Puff Girls I'm pretty sure the PPG were out of character especially Buttercup. Though don't take my word for it as I said its been quite a while.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I agree with almost everything you say Ice except one major point: I don't think it was as bad as you seemed to say. It wasn't that good, and it did try to push too much fan pandering into it (Foxstar, take note: this is what harmful fan pandering looks like.) and yeah, the PPG were out of character. but for what it was (the first coming together of fans to work on a project that is longer than a full episode) it could have been much worse. In the grand scheme, it was mediocre in my opinion.

and I have to admit, that last joke made me smile

on a related not, apparently Zander made the Derpy scene
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I agree with almost everything you say Ice except one major point: I don't think it was as bad as you seemed to say. It wasn't that good, and it did try to push too much fan pandering into it (Foxstar, take note: this is what harmful fan pandering looks like.) and yeah, the PPG were out of character. but for what it was (the first coming together of fans to work on a project that is longer than a full episode) it could have been much worse. In the grand scheme, it was mediocre in my opinion.

and I have to admit, that last joke made me smile
Ok I might have been a bit harsh on it its not the worst thing I've seen by a long shot, though I would put it below mediocre (I would give it 4/10 on a scale, for comparison I give Snowdrop a 6/10 slightly above average). I think what made me hate it the most was the over pandering (Though the animation problems and the out of character PPG really hurt as well) which IMO brings down the score of anything regardless. The thing felt like a person poking you slyly and going "Do you get it, do you get it? See what we did there?" all the time and after a while it stopped being pandering and, to me anyway, just became borderline insulting really.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well, I'd say 4/10 too, but I still see that as the low end of mediocre. with 6/10 being the really high end and I'd probably put Snowdrop at 7/10
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:well, I'd say 4/10 too, but I still see that as the low end of mediocre. with 6/10 being the really high end and I'd probably put Snowdrop at 7/10
Yeah I was wrong when I said it was really bad; its really is just below average. That first post was just my first gut reaction to it and given some time to view it again and think it over I did over react a bit. Its not as bad as I first thought but as we both seem to agree its not really good either.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

This has become the new "Spike at Your Service" for me. Heard everyone else saying it was mediocre, totally not gonna waste my time watching it myself. Thanks, guys.

So anyway, we can add Michelle Creber to the list of awesome women involved with MLP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pc4nt6r ... UiNcgH6FHw
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I don't know, I didn't find the episode to be super good, but for what it was I think it was fine. I think this goes in the category of something you should watch yourself and make the call. I'd recommend it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:on a related not, apparently Zander made the Derpy scene
Wow, congrats to our own Zander! I liked that scene!

I agree with the criticisms people had but I don't think it's enough to ruin it for me. I thought it was a pretty good episode! While the PPG thing was neat in its own regard, I felt like it really prevented it from feeling like a real episode that could have been made. That and going a little overboard on the fanservice. Also, I feel bad for Bubbles. :(
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I was going through my DA gallery today, separating different stories into different folders, and I came across this little beauty. Man, I'd almost forgotten about writing this thing. Thought I'd share a little bit of sillyness with my favorite brony friends in all the world. :)

http://solaris90.deviantart.com/art/Big ... 5#comments
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I remember that. I read it when I was going through your fic.

You should try short funny things like this more often.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Don't know if this is old news or not, but apparently Meghan McCarthy confirmed at Unicon 2013 that King Sombra was most definitely killed off for real.

This plunges me so deep into sadness...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Apparently the Sweetie Belle card from the newest trading card series uses the phrase "cutie mark acquisition program." Congratulations, Friendship is Witchcraft. You've had a kinda-sorta canon upgrade.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:Apparently the Sweetie Belle card from the newest trading card series uses the phrase "cutie mark acquisition program." Congratulations, Friendship is Witchcraft. You've had a kinda-sorta canon upgrade.
I saw that. It was neat. Wishing they'd sale more cards at my hometown Walmart.