My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Penwrite »

What? Like it'd be a total shocker to have songs in My Little Pony? :P

Anyway, a friend posted a question to a facebook brony group, and I thought it worth repeating here. Do y'all consider the comics canon to the show, or what?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I do, I really don't know why anyone wouldn't. They are extremely good (and even the bad ones are just average) and they explore things the show doesn't have time for. Really once the show is over I seriously hope they continue for a long while so the world can keep expanding and they can do things the show never could. I hope they become like the Transfomers or Sonic (minus that time they really really sucked and went off the deep end story wise) or the Buffy/Angel or that new X-files continuation comics so we can enjoy the FIM world for a long time to come.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Yes, I do consider them cannon. I think that some of the stories are so worthy they deserve to be adapted into animation. It would be nice if there was some level of cooperation between both writing teams to have more cohesion in their story telling.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Penwrite wrote:What? Like it'd be a total shocker to have songs in My Little Pony? :P
No, I didn't mean that part of what I said. :roll: I meant the fact that people are listening to it.

I'd rather not know anything going into the season. It just makes it that much better for me to not know anything about what is happening. (I hate even knowing the episode name before seeing the episode)

While we are on that subject, I guess this is a good time for a friendly reminder to spoiler tag everything that is, well, spoilers. You guys have been doing fine with that, just want to make sure you keep doing it.
(Also, if you quote something that was in spoiler tags, you have to re-add them. *Cough Radio Blue Heart four posts ago Cough*)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Understood, and sorry. I didn't really think it could be a spoiler unless I said something like what the song's about or who's singing it. Eh.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

All of the comics are 99 cents till the 25th If you haven't read them or are missing a few issues this is the best possible time to buy them.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

so I looked at the preview for the next comic. not a major spoiler but Mrs. Cake used "fillies" to refer to both her kids, and that bugs me

and thanks for that link, I was a few issues behind. and hadn't read any of the micro issues.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

"Children of the Night" is finally finished!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW5n3k2VgZE

and it looks amazing!
-Virgil
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:"Children of the Night" is finally finished!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW5n3k2VgZE

and it looks amazing!
So many thanks for the heads up, Can't believe I wasn't subscribed :mrgreen:
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So excited! :D
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Now if only they would give a release date for the Season 3 DVD set. I hope they do commentaries again. Those were fun.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well I'm really liking the Big Mac arc so far, sucks that its only two issues, but not much can be done about that. Lots of little background references that are just hilarious.
Radio Blue Heart

I agree! I honestly laughed out loud at Big Mac's story! I especially loved Fleetfoots love and concussion induced romantic fantasy. I think they handled it well. Being a pony of few words, having him narrate though an internal monologue worked well. Of all the background references, having the Mane Six wandering by telling stories that are essentially the plot to "The End Of Flutter Valley"was really funny if you caught it.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

new Friendship is Witchcraft.

I liked how much Jenny sounded like Snowdrop's original voice
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That was pretty great. I love the complete cruelty of it all. *giggles*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I haven't followed a comic in years, but I might have to for MLP again.

As for canon, one thing to keep in mind that even though the comics are Hasbro endorsed, Show canon overrides all pretty much and if the show goes on long enough, it's going to overwrite stuff/deal with stuff that the comics have touched.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The comic is great. It's a nice way to get "canon" MLP even when the show isn't going on. And the comic is quite aware of the adult audience.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So MLP:TCG This should prove interesting, I've always wanted to get into one of these things. Actually tried to get into Magic The Gathering back around '98 but decided since I (at the time) was to young to have a job it wasn't really worth it.
EQD Article wrote:This isn't Battling is Magic. It's Friendship is Magic. So you gotta use your cards to solve problems, and to do so before the rube across the table from you can get his own problems sorted out. You bring to the table a "main character" (spelling uncertain), a 50-card "draw" deck, and a 10-card "problem" deck, and you construct each of your decks to synergize with aspects of your character of choice.

This could be very interesting I mean even if you have no one to play against you can basically play it alone against your own deck.

Edit: Button's Adventures Pilot this was adorable as heck.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:So MLP:TCG This should prove interesting, I've always wanted to get into one of these things. Actually tried to get into Magic The Gathering back around '98 but decided since I (at the time) was to young to have a job it wasn't really worth it.
EQD Article wrote:This isn't Battling is Magic. It's Friendship is Magic. So you gotta use your cards to solve problems, and to do so before the rube across the table from you can get his own problems sorted out. You bring to the table a "main character" (spelling uncertain), a 50-card "draw" deck, and a 10-card "problem" deck, and you construct each of your decks to synergize with aspects of your character of choice.

This could be very interesting I mean even if you have no one to play against you can basically play it alone against your own deck.

Edit: Button's Adventures Pilot this was adorable as heck.
I want more Button's Adventures! :D That was adorable and hilarious, and the quality of the animation and the voicework was amazing!

Edit: And I just watched the newest Friendship is Witchcraft at the insistence of my brother... that video put me in such a foul mood....
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I finally got to watch Equestria Girls. I agree that it wasn't as good as it could have been, but I disagree with whoever here said it felt stretched out. I felt the problem was that all of the complications to the main plot (like Twilight being framed or the Main 6 not being friends) were resolved too quickly (right after they were introduced), not that they were unnecessary.
overall, I wouldn't have been disappointed had I seen it in theaters. but I also like Littlest Pet shop, and this felt like a mix of that and MLP, so that may be why I liked it
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Penwrite wrote:Edit: And I just watched the newest Friendship is Witchcraft at the insistence of my brother... that video put me in such a foul mood....
Why? I thought it was really good!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Edit: And I just watched the newest Friendship is Witchcraft at the insistence of my brother... that video put me in such a foul mood....
Why? I thought it was really good!
Meh. I'm just not a fan of the "let's see how horribly cruel and insulting we can be!" school of comedy.

No offense to everyone here who does like this kind of humor, of course.

Edit: This pic here makes me feel so happy!

http://willisninety-six.deviantart.com/ ... -391582425
Radio Blue Heart

I just watched "Equestria Girls" for the first time... That movie was AMAZING.

I admit that I did not have a high hopes for it. But in a way, that was a good thing. It was like the first time I watched the show. I had no illusion of how it would be but it blew me away.

I know a lot of people were against it when it was first announced but just give it a chance like I did. You will not be disappointed. I am now going to buy my own copy and watch it at least once a week until I die.
Last edited by Radio Blue Heart on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I just read the Fluttershy micro-comic. As a writer, I could really connect with it's message. :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I just watched "Equestria Girls" for the first time... That movie was AMAZING.

I admit that I did not have a high hopes for it. But in a way, that was a good thing. It was like the first time I watched the show. I had no illusion of how it would be but it blew me away.

I know a lot of people were against it when it was first announced but just give it a chance like I did. You will not be disappointed. I am now going to buy my own copy and watch it at least once a week every day until I die.
I wasn't disappointed because my expectations were incredibly low.

I didn't like it nearly as much as you did but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Like I said when I saw it, I enjoyed it. I don't know where my expectations were for it though.

I guess they were kind of low, but not super-low or anything. I wasn't expecting it to be bad. I really liked the music though. Helping Twilight Win The Crown may become the first song I put in my personal music collection that isn't altered in some way from the show.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

I thawed to the idea a bit more when I found out that it was from the same lady who wrote "A Canterlot Wedding". That pretty much guaranteed that it would have a spectacular ending. Even though it seems like a base thing, I really like some of the "fish out of water" moments that Twilight suffered upon arriving. I found those quite amusing. I thought the music was excellent and I got a few laughs out of the random appearances of the human version of the ponies. Especially the CMC and Trixie. I wonder what they were doing by letting Sunset Shimmer stay in the human world though. I figured after turning into a demon, damaging the school and trying to mind-control the students she would have wanted to go back. Her crimes in Equestria were probably not as severe.

I just picked a random episode of "Friendship is Witchcraft" to see what was making Penwrite so upset. I did find it funny, but it was also extremely mean spirited. I watch the episode where they redubbed the Babs Seed episode. Can someone please tell me why Sweety Belle is a robot?
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

That's the most recent FiW actually. I didn't find it to be very good honestly.

Sweetie Belle is a robot because it's kinda like a running joke I guess. When the CMC were introduced in FiW, Applebloom was being taught about evil robot ponies that exist in pony society and nopony can tell them apart from the regular ponies. Sweetie Bot doesn't know that she's a robot, and it's so painfully obvious that it's supposed to be funny. (At least in the first few episodes)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I've watched all but the newest one of FiW and really its just ok for the most part. I really still like Pinkie's Brew song and Sweetiebot but other then that its all kind of meh to me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

so, after only a trailer and an original song, I'm really excited for this Journey of the Spark project
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The odd thing is, I've only really been bothered by the two most recent FiW, the ones parodying Babs Seed and Canterlot Wedding. That's where they went overboard on the mean-spiritedness for me.

*shrugs*

So on Facebook earlier today I saw a pic of Tara Strong hanging out with Jason David Frank, the actor for Tommy Oliver of Power Rangers.

After waking up from my awesome-coma three hours later, I pondered how awesome it would be for him to voice a pony.
Radio Blue Heart

Silly Filly studios has put out a preview of their next project,

"Fall of the Empire".

It looks INCREDIBLE! Its going to be about Celestia and Luna's war with King Sombra. They made Sombra so SCARY!
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Beta rule set for the MLP TCG It looks like its going to be a real fun game for sure. Not completely as solo as the original post made it out to be but it sounds like you could still play this solitaire style pretty easily.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So... There seems to be a petition to make Flash Sentry a permanent part of the regular show starting with season 4.

What do you all think of this? I think it would be interesting, but not something that Hasbro would do. I feel like it would be too much effort on their part to put enough of him in the show to keep fans happy.

He is a guard after all, so it's not like he would have a ton of time to hang out with Twilight in Ponyville unless he was assigned to her personal guard (I'm assuming that Twilight is still going to be in Ponyville. I don't know how they would still do the show otherwise). And even then I don't see how they would manage to turn this into a love interest without making the fans scream in protest over something. It just seems like more work than it would be worth to them.

Not to mention that Season 4 is probably already too far in development to add him as anything but a minor background character for now. Not the love story that the fans would like to see.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

JeffCvt wrote:So... There seems to be a petition to make Flash Sentry a permanent part of the regular show starting with season 4.
Nope

I really don't like Brad simply because he has no character.
He's a empty typical love interest.

I would not mind a fun story with him and Shining Armour, don't get me wrong.
but I have a feeling I'd watch the whole episode waiting for the annoying forced shipping moments.

MLP is about friends, not relationships with boys that show up, Because that's basically Gen 2 of MLP

Anyway, Coloring of a drawings I did that was made by KP-ShadowSquirrel
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Radio Blue Heart

Get ready to see something so sweet it will make your teeth hurt! I found this on tumblr!

-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Get ready to see something so sweet it will make your teeth hurt! I found this on tumblr!

Yeah I saw the non split up version of that its really adorable.
JeffCvt wrote:So... There seems to be a petition to make Flash Sentry a permanent part of the regular show starting with season 4.
It won't go anywhere and everyone knows it, but if in season 5 they added him and actually gave him a reason to exist and a personality, I wouldn't mind a build up to a relationship with Twilight. When she became a Princess she was going to get body guards anyway, its only natural, so having her eventually get into a relationship with one wouldn't be bad as long as it was built up.

However part of me wants him to come back for one episode just so she can try to start some kind of romance up with him and have it turn out that hes married or dating someone else in the Ponyverse. Just because it would be funny for all those people who were saying that it was 100% certain he would come back and marry Twilight in season 4 and that you were stupid if you thought otherwise.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Guys you're making me tolerate Gilda. Stop. D:

Also, I oppose Flash Sentry being involved in the show. I mean, why would they go out of their way to write a character in that was just part of a spinoff? Why not just make a new character that actually fits the show's needs? I'm fine with him as a background pony in Canterlot. But that's it.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I can't explain why, but I find SpikeXGilda a really cute pairing. I was there was more of it.