My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

IceKitsune

Re: My Little Pony

Post by IceKitsune »

I think this warrants its own post as its pretty big info.

SDCC MLP Panel summary Thing that stuck out to me are these: 1. 100ths episode looks to be a lower deck/a day in the limelight episode. It could be done like 22 short films about Springfield 2.RD get whole solo song. 3. Maud Pie returns with a Pinkie Pie's family episode.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

those 3 things excited me too. Especially the second one. I've wanted her to get her own song since her part in At the Gala. I hope they stick with the rock feel like they've stuck with bluegrass/country for Applejack

also Twilight misses her library (R.I.P.)
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Season 5 episode 1 and 2 Animatic Now we know what the castle does, and its really cool! I can already tell this is going to be used heavily in Fanfics. Like from now until the premiere, if you don't want spoilers, I would suggest not reading post season 4 fanfics really. I have a feeling this will be far too hard to pass up for any writer doing a post season 4 story. Also that Spike and Pinkie part in the castle was hilarious. Also Spike and Big Mac hang out quite a bitaccording to this.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I loved the Spike/Pinkie Pie gag. I'm excited for season 5 to start!

It's like even in the Q&A session they had to beat around the bush about Applejack's parents. They're definitely not hiding or denying the fact, but they won't flat-out say they're dead.

Also, I'm curious. Where did Cadence come from. Can anyone inform me? I didn't buy the book, it's kinda expensive and probably not written for my age group.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That Spike and Pinkie gag had me rolling.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:I loved the Spike/Pinkie Pie gag. I'm excited for season 5 to start!

It's like even in the Q&A session they had to beat around the bush about Applejack's parents. They're definitely not hiding or denying the fact, but they won't flat-out say they're dead.

Also, I'm curious. Where did Cadence come from. Can anyone inform me? I didn't buy the book, it's kinda expensive and probably not written for my age group.
She was a Pegasus that was abandoned in the woods (if it was deliberate or because her biological parents are dead we don't know.) as a baby and found by a family of Earth Ponies that adopted her. Years later her village was attacked by a Unicorn Witch that was attack them because she felt she was hated or something like that. She fought her off with her love magic and earned her cutie mark, this caused her to black out and wake up in the weird Alicorn place with Celestia who turned her into an Alicorn and then took her in to teach her how to be a Princess. That's basically it.

Edit: I was watching Dr. Wolfs thoughts on the season 5 clip and he mentions that the ponies in the village look like something out of the Twilight Zone. After a rewatch I kind of agree with him. It could be some cult, sure, but how could they keep everyone from getting cutie marks/have them all be the same?

Then I got the idea, Its a Good Life. For those that don't know that is the episode of the Twilight Zone (and a segment in The Movie) where the little kid has complete control over everyone in a town because he has really crazy psychic powers and sends them to "the corn field" when they don't do what he wants. I want this opener to be that so, so, so bad right now. If it is they better have a Rod Serling pony in there somewhere, or I will be very disappointed.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, they could use the episode to teach about how friendship and harmony can be taken too far?

That'd be unexpected.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

IceKitsune wrote:She was a Pegasus that was abandoned in the woods (if it was deliberate or because her biological parents are dead we don't know.) as a baby and found by a family of Earth Ponies that adopted her. Years later her village was attacked by a Unicorn Witch that was attack them because she felt she was hated or something like that. She fought her off with her love magic and earned her cutie mark, this caused her to black out and wake up in the weird Alicorn place with Celestia who turned her into an Alicorn and then took her in to teach her how to be a Princess.
So she was born a pegasus? That confirms that not just unicorns can become alicorns, then. I'd be curious to know if earth ponies are eligible for alicornhood, too.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:So she was born a pegasus? That confirms that not just unicorns can become alicorns, then. I'd be curious to know if earth ponies are eligible for alicornhood, too.
I would assume so, speaking of G.M. Berrows and her books she has joined the writing staff for Season 5
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:I would assume so, speaking of G.M. Berrows and her books she has joined the writing staff for Season 5
maybe she'll handle the episode about Pinkie's family, since she wrote the book with them in it
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:I would assume so, speaking of G.M. Berrows and her books she has joined the writing staff for Season 5
maybe she'll handle the episode about Pinkie's family, since she wrote the book with them in it
I don't think so, from what I have heard the other new writer, Nick Confalone, is writing that one.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I made a Cheese Sandwich cosplay for Buck Con. Hoping to make a big splash at the cosplay contest
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

that link isn;t working, I think I need to be your friend to see it. try linking to the image directly.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Still getting caught up on the comics. Meanwhile, "And That's How Equestria Was Made" did this:

"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Don't they mean implied to be dead
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think it's pretty much canon. The show itself sidesteps the issue, but everything that's been said outside the show all but confirms it.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Its all but cannon and I'm pretty sure the writers want to explicitly state it on the show; but the Hasbro executives are likely too afraid to do it because they fear backlash for some reason. That is at least the feeling I get from everything that has been said about it. Its the same with Scootaloo not being able to fly.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well Scootaloo's disability was pretty much solidified. Sure they didn't say "HEY SCOOTALOO YOU'RE PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED," but I think that episode made it quite clear. Not to mention Word of God was explicit about how she'll never learn to fly.

I'm sure they'd address Applejack's parents being dead on the show if they could figure out how to do it tastefully. I doubt Hasbro would block any explicit reference to it.
Radio Blue Heart

I am finally getting caught up on the comics via "My Comic Shop" after Plan 9 Comics (the worst comic shop in the world!) shut down.

I like how the alternate world storyline ended, with King Sombra sacrificing himself by absorbing the evil from the negative Celestia and Luna, and even then he shed a tear for Celestia after the portal between the worlds was destroyed. It had some good funny bits that softened the tragedy and suspense. Like when Pinkie declared that this was "a kids comic" and "you can't do that" when Evil Celestia zapped Evil Luna. It was also touching to see Celestia so flawed and vulnerable. After all Good Sombra was probably the only person she could ever related too. He too was immortal and Luna was imprisoned in the moon, so he was her one chance to have a relationship with someone who would not leave her.

I really liked the Pinkie Pie and Luna team-up for "Friends Forever". It was funny to see prim and proper Luna so out of sorts when dealing with Pinkie's shenanigans, and Pinkie addressing Luna in the ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE.

The Manehatten Mystery story is shaping up to be good. I always like Trixie and its funny to see her drag the others along on the quest to clear her name.

And there is a new adaptation graphic novel that adapts "Return to Harmony".
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Yeah I really liked the Trixie mystery arc, it was nice to see Babs Seed again and her little friendship with Trixie was very nice I would actually like to somehow see that part continue on in some form.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Having watched the clips for the new Equestria Girls movie, I am just having so much trouble taking these villains seriously. Anyone else have this problem?
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Penwrite wrote:Having watched the clips for the new Equestria Girls movie, I am just having so much trouble taking these villains seriously. Anyone else have this problem?
i like them
they are cute and definitely interesting
i want to know what their story is

but no, not very threatening
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Penwrite wrote:Having watched the clips for the new Equestria Girls movie, I am just having so much trouble taking these villains seriously. Anyone else have this problem?
recall that people thought they couldn't take the entirety of the first movie seriously. So just roll with it until you see the finished product.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Yeah, but I always thought Sunset Shimmer to at least LOOK like a threatening villain, with that punky jacket and and aggressive color scheme.

Eh, wasn't planning on seeing this one to begin with anyway.
exranio

Post by exranio »

I'm actually mostly watching it to see more sunset shimmer. Her colour scheme is bright but I'd hardly call it aggressive. Its just analogues shades of red that go with her name. I personally think its very pretty. Then again I really like orange.

Also given the what we understand of the movie. I don't understand why you would need to take anything "Seriously". I don't think anything is meant to really seem "Serious".
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The opposite. I like that they're not just a generic mean high school girl. And being sirens is cool.

I became a lot less scared for this movie when hearing that the music gets more intense as the movie goes on. I was worried Rainbow "Rocks" would just be a ton of namby-pamby children's pop like the first previewed song was. If there's any metal near the climax that would be sweet.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Clearly by the end of the movie we'll just be listening to the Guilty Gear soundtrack.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Radio Blue Heart

I just finished the Manehatten Mystery arc and it was pretty good. I like how Babs and Trixie connected.

The latest "Friends Forever" was really good. Any time you pair Applejack and Rarity their clash of personalities can make for good comedy and drama.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I just finished the Manehatten Mystery arc and it was pretty good. I like how Babs and Trixie connected.

The latest "Friends Forever" was really good. Any time you pair Applejack and Rarity their clash of personalities can make for good comedy and drama.
I did like the newest FF, though I have to agree with people that they need to get away from putting AJ and Rarity together. The show has done it three times and the comics did it twice as well. I think its kind of done now. I did like that they made the dynamic different this time though, it was about how they did business rather then; AJ is a country girl and Rarity is snooty and high fashion. Therefore they clash because of it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wonder. Have they done all 15 possible permutations of character pairs in the show? I'm talking extended one-on-one interaction.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:I wonder. Have they done all 15 possible permutations of character pairs in the show? I'm talking extended one-on-one interaction.
ones I don't remember them doing (let me know if I'm forgetting them or they happened in the comics I haven't read) are:
Rarity & Dash
Rarity & Pinkie
Applejack & Fluttershy
Fluttershy & Pinkie

and I may have been generous with the definition of extended one-on-one
(also I sort of automatically assumed Twilight had been paired with everyone since in season one she was the main focus of most episodes)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

This is the song DISCORD [Kinetic Typography] by Mr. DeLoop, a fan song. So far I have listened to it about 30 times since being introduced to it.
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

That's a remix of the original. I've had both versions in my music collection for well over a year at least.

That particular song however is one of the most recognizable and popular ones to ever come out of the fandom. "Loyalty" by Acoustic Brony and Mandopony and "Rainbow Factory" by Glaze are probably some of the few that have also reached that kind of level.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So hey, the nerd and pop culture news site I frequent just had one of its writers review the latest MLP DVD release. It's a pretty fair review, all things considered.

http://thisisinfamous.com/my-little-pon ... ony-tales/
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

JeffCvt wrote:That's a remix of the original. I've had both versions in my music collection for well over a year at least.

That particular song however is one of the most recognizable and popular ones to ever come out of the fandom. "Loyalty" by Acoustic Brony and Mandopony and "Rainbow Factory" by Glaze are probably some of the few that have also reached that kind of level.
"Level" as in horse famous perhaps, but quality wise the pool of good musicians has gotten extensively big the past few years.
It often saddens me to see people having never heard or care of any of the other newer artists.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The newest FF was pretty good, I liked Granny in it (even if the hating oranges thing was tired by the end.) and the bit of back story we got on her. The Flim Flam brothers were ok, liked them better here then I do on the show. Overall not a bad little story just not the best of them.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The Rainbow Rocks album on iTunes did not impress me.
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

Wow, there's a lot of spoiler tagged text on this page :shock:

That is all.
I break my computer, so you don't have to! :D
You copied my entire signature? How peculiar...
Given that AB≅AB, prove that AB≇AB.
Radio Blue Heart

Since we are still in the doldrums between seasons, I think we can find enough fan efforts to keep us entertained.

Here is a fan made animated film about the life of Derpy Hooves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3o0BETYLuA

Its pretty sad when she describes having to grow up with her condition. But despite her vision, she still manages to save the day!
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'll need to check that out, it's got my favorite fan voice for Derpy.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets