My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Sleet »

Probably not. It seems like this world doesn't really have anything fantastic about it other than Amazing Technicolor People.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

*More shameless self-promotion*
So, not only have I written, but I've done a reading too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcTfyXxAiro

Not of my story, it's of one called Hammin' in Equestria. It's pretty much a fic written to make fun of all of the "Human in Equestria" stories that are all basically the same. It's funny as heck. If you don't want to listen to me read it, I recommend reading it for yourself here: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/93192/h ... -equestria
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

That fad has been around for a while. I think the new target, though, is Past Sins. Regidar and TheOnly are working on a fabulous parody that I cannot link to because COME ON, this is Regidar I'm talking about.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Lyra will be so happy!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Radio Blue Heart

I just got the Season 2 box set. I have some bad news. If you have the "Friendship Express" DVD, hang on to it! "The Last Roundup" episode on the box set is the censored Derpy version.
Sleet wrote:So the comic book micro-series's Rarity issue was pretty good. I felt like they did a good job writing Rarity on her own. She's the kind of character who it's kinda hard to make "save the day" without breaking character or contriving a ridiculous plot, but they did it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :3
I thought so too. Using her business sense to help the hippie ponies.

I just noticed that this story is loaded with John Landis film references. One was for the grown ups by far. In the Canterlot plaza at the end, the theater is playing an adult film who's title appears in all Landis movies. And all the pony versions of hippie culture like posters reading "Keep on trottin'" and "Joseph and the amazing technicolor dream saddle". That stoner pony did get on my nerves a little. Most my own experience with stoners.

I got the latest chapter in the new arc and it is shaping up to be epic. Rarity is the new Nightmare Moon, the rest of the Mane 6 are captured and Luna has escape to Ponyville to rally the defenses. On the first page look for the 2 Doctor Whooves's. One is a Matt Smith version!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Oh look, another Cracked article on My Little Pony. How nice.

Edit: And I have removed the link to the article after actually READING the darn thing and seeing it pushes the forum rating.

My deepest apologies to anyone I have offended.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Cracked gets their money from mocking other people. It's par for the course for them.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I like how that article is set on the premise that bronies and little girls will be in the same theaters.

I don't think bronies are going to pay to see something they've already decided they aren't going to like, so the whole premise of the article is flawed.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Me and some of my (female) friends are going to try and see it. I don't know why, but we are.

It may not be that bad. Or it may. I don't know.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I planned to give it a chance, but not if it involves buying movie tickets.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

My friends are the ones who wanted to go see it. They wanted me to come too and I was just like "Sure, why not?"

I'm not sure when we're planning on it though. I would be my luck I'm the only guy in the place.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Not going myself.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I gave My Little Pony a chance. I'll give this movie a chance.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Penwrite wrote:I gave My Little Pony a chance. I'll give this movie a chance.
That's my approach to this. This looks terrible, but so too did MLP:FiM. I was pleasantly surprised once. The least I could do is to at least give them the chance to surprise me again. The worst that can happen is I waste less than two hours of my life.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'm still not seeing it in theaters. because if I dislike it, I won't have only lost 2 hours, I'll have lost money for tickets and the gas and time it takes to get to a theater showing it.

So I'll wait til I can see it for free or cheap, like I do with the show.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I'm still not seeing it in theaters. because if I dislike it, I won't have only lost 2 hours, I'll have lost money for tickets and the gas and time it takes to get to a theater showing it.

So I'll wait til I can see it for free or cheap, like I do with the show.
Yeah this is what I'm doing, see it on Youtube or a stream or get it off Netflicks or something like that. Gonna give it the same chance I gave FIM I have hope that it will not be horrible.
Radio Blue Heart

I am cautiously optimistic.
-Virgil
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Dude guys are you kidding Equestria Gurls will be the best thing ever.

... nah, I'm in the same boat as most of you. I'll probably end up seeing it, though I doubt I'll watch it in theaters unless one of my friends has an overwhelming urge to go see it too. Nearest theater to me is about a half hour drive in a direction I've never actually gone on my own before, so I can't see it being worthwhile unless I've got someone to crack jokes with throughout the film.

I really just can't see this being any good. FiM itself didn't look as good as it really is, but you can't honestly say it looked *bad* at first glance. Unless you only watched the opening theme, but even that isn't really all that bad (especially when you're comparing to the themes from the previous iterations). The incredible animation and voice acting are apparent right from the get-go, and the musical quality isn't far behind it.

But EQG? The animation is good, I guess, though it looks a lot more awkward on humans than it does on ponies. The voices are still there, which is good. But the setting is swapped with a high school, of all things, and that instantly puts it in a sketchy light. There are a million ways to do that scenario wrong, and only a handful of ways to get it right, and from the footage I've seen thus far, I see very little hope they've chosen a winning formula.

As always, though, I'm open to the possibility of being pleasantly surprised.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's not even showing anywhere near me but it's not like I'd be willing to go in public to see it. I'd be embarrassed.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm probably going to be more embarrassed by my friends who are dragging me along than actually being seen in the movie theater. Two years ago, I would have been afraid of wearing a red shirt if everyone else had a blue one on because I would stick out. I've really come a long way in those two years, so much so that I'll go sit in the theater and watch this movie and not care about what people think of me.

Well, that and those friends who are dragging me there are all female so I could always claim it was their idea (Which it was).
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

you know what
i am actually getting excited for this

you know what else people saw previews of all, and probably thought would suck
FIM
i'm not going to judge this anymore from the previews
i will try to watch this and give it a clean slate
even if it is a high school setting, with a seemingly cliche plot it can still be good
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

JeffCvt wrote:I'm probably going to be more embarrassed by my friends who are dragging me along than actually being seen in the movie theater. Two years ago, I would have been afraid of wearing a red shirt if everyone else had a blue one on because I would stick out. I've really come a long way in those two years, so much so that I'll go sit in the theater and watch this movie and not care about what people think of me.

Well, that and those friends who are dragging me there are all female so I could always claim it was their idea (Which it was).
Just use it as an excuse to be seen as getting all the ladies.
Radio Blue Heart

I'll probably wait for the DVD.

I'll d give it a chance and then judge it on its own merits.

One thing I was wondering about Twilight going into a world full of Human doppelgangers of the cast... What happens to the human Twilight of the Human world when pony Twilight crosses over?

"Princess! Is that crown that got stolen really so valuable, that we would strand Twilight with no magic in universe ruled by psychotic apes?!"

-Virgil
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

okay so we got a new trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNuFqaWFfCk

so we have a reason for having to go the human world now
and it's a legitimate one

also
even though spike is a dog now
he can still talk

also i spotted trixie and photo finish

so i am getting into this now
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Something tells me this movie is going to be quite funny in the beginning when Twilight is learning to be human. Although I'm not so sure about the plot anymore. I'll just have to wait and see though.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

mariomarc wrote:okay so we got a new trailer

also
he can still talk

Ok I have to admit that makes it look a lot better then the first trailer. Again I'm not completely sold (I need to see the whole thing first) but this is starting to look like it might be pretty ok.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

mariomarc wrote:okay so we got a new trailer

also
he can still talk

I feel a lot more confident about this movie now. Dog!Spike seems pretty funny, and it's nice that there's an actual, pretty important reason to go into the mirror. Most of all, I'm intrigued by that pegasus guard who introduced Twilight near the beginning. He wasn't a crystal pony!

Though, still feeling a little iffy on the music.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well if you guys want to avoid spoilers for this thing I would stay away from 4chan and likely any news site that's not EQD (and maybe even them too) leaked pictures of the ending have shown up.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

also avoid derpibooru
spoiler images are all over there as well
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Not really spoilers but from what it looks like the movie basically becomes Sailor Moon in its last 10 minutes.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Makes me glad that save for here, I avoid where bronys hang out offseason.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You know quite a few people have pointed out that the CMC are at more then just the dance in the second trailer. Pretty much that would mean (assuming that the ages of the ponies and the humans are basically the same) it makes the CMC in Equestria about 14 or 15ish. (its a Highschool they would be Freshmen which would be around that age.) Which would also make Spike (in Equestria) around the same age as well if not a bit older. This is where it actually starts to get stupid, lets assume that Twilight when she hatched Spike was basically the same age as the CMC making her say 14. Which would make her about 27-29 in Equestria.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I think it's quite clear that the CMC in the show as ponies are not 14-15 years old, making the entire argument that Twilight is in her late 20's kind of silly.

What I personally think is that Sweetie Belle and Applebloom are still Rarity's and Applejack's sisters (I don't think anyone is going to argue that), so they just kind of get to come along for a lot of the time for the "older kid" events, and the school may not just be a high school, but one that is 8-12th grade. That means the CMC can be younger and still have an excuse to be in the school and at the dance.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Argent

Post by Argent »

IceKitsune wrote:Not really spoilers but from what it looks like the movie basically becomes Sailor Moon in its last 10 minutes.
The last ten minutes of Sailor Moon?

You do know that everyone dies at the end of Sailor Moon, right?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Argent wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Not really spoilers but from what it looks like the movie basically becomes Sailor Moon in its last 10 minutes.
The last ten minutes of Sailor Moon?

You do know that everyone dies at the end of Sailor Moon, right?
No it doesn't look like it becomes the actual last 10 minutes of the Sailor Moon Stars but it looks like the movie becomes like Sailor Moon for a bit at the end. Also everyone is revived at the end of Sailor Moon Stars long before there is 10 minutes left in the series IIRC. Unless you are talking about just the first season then Yes everyone dies in the last 10ish minutes. Until Sailor Moon R
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Probably the best ending this movie could have that we know won't happen. http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/ponyti ... e/wmbrGjz/
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

JeffCvt wrote:<span>Probably the best ending this movie could have that we know won't happen. <a class="smarterwiki-linkify" href="http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/ponyti ... </a></span>

By the way, the flour is my gut
If you want my number, it's #804080.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets