My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JeffCvt

Re: My Little Pony

Post by JeffCvt »

I like the fact that it showed the image that Lauren Faust probably had in mind for Rarity.

Rarity has always been depicted as selfish and way over dramatic. If you observe her in the series premiere, she's not like that at all, she's generous. (Hence her element...) I just feel that the writers have totally forgotten that until just now.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Indeed, she definitely went through some rather severe Flanderization through seasons 2 and 3. Season 4 seems to be better at that, at least.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

IceKitsune wrote:Outside of the Spool they already admitted on twitter the others mean nothing other then ending gags. Its possible they are lying though. It also wouldn't fit in the key holes we saw on the box anyway. Though its possible they will transform into actual keys I guess but I really think that is kind of too subtle for a kids show like this.
I was actually joking about everything other than the spool = P
and yeah, it could possibly transform into keys.
or they could activate rainbow power and form the keys the same way the elements were reformed in the second episode
Penwrite wrote:also, I must admit to a tiny amount of disappointment that they didn't go through with something as groundbreaking as actually writing Rarity out of the show. I think it would have been interesting to see, say, Coco Pommel trying to fill Rarity's shoes at the Carousel Boutique, slowly becoming a valued friend to the others as well.
That would have been interested, and really explore the idea that maybe the elements were the only things keeping them together.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hmm, there's an interesting question. If one member of the mane six had to leave the show for any length of time, who would you choose?
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Penwrite wrote:Hmm, there's an interesting question. If one member of the mane six had to leave the show for any length of time, who would you choose?

Fluttershy, for at least a season if not more. It'd be funny watching her more devoted fans go into utter ragemode and try and get everyone else to boycott the show. (Also the sheer conflict of how her personality works grinds gears sometimes.)
If you want my number, it's #804080.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:Hmm, there's an interesting question. If one member of the mane six had to leave the show for any length of time, who would you choose?
Rarity, Rainbow Dash or Twilight would make the most amount of sense story wise. (reasons being Fashion job opportunities,Wonderbolts and Princess Duties respectively) If I was to choose I would say Dash simply because she would be the most interesting to see as they can actually get into the Wonderbolts stuff in the show as a mini arc. (Twilight would actually be more interesting over all, with the politics and all that, but they couldn't really do that stuff justice on the show.)
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

A new Pony comic came out yesterday called "When Cutie Calls". Like "Magic Begins" (which is volume 1) it is an adaptation of the show into comic form. This one is "Call of the Cutie" and "Cutie Mark Chronicles" in comic form. They trimmed some stuff out to fit the format. Mostly some sight gags and the songs of course. Then again, you can sing a long if you want to.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Had to do it for the 8888 kiriban. :P
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Listening to Rarity's song again, I just really love that thing she does when she sings the word "generosity".
Spawtzi

Post by Spawtzi »

I just stumbled upon this. We're talking about Rarity, eh?

Off the topic of Rarity: Twilight Sparkle is best pony
Rainbow
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So, Tara Strong's _____licious thing just became canon with Apple Bloom in the next episode preview. Fanservice!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Season 5 Confirmed Unless he misspoke it looks like the President of Hasbro just confirmed season 5 in an interview. This is a fact that surprises absolutely no one, but I'm glad anyway.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Season 5? Wowie dowie!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I enjoyed this
Polka medley of a bunch of fandom songs in the style of Weird Al
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Great ep this week. Should please everyone and the song was just aces.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I really, really, like how it showed the Apple Family interacting. The Episode was funny as heck from everything I saw (missed the first 10 minutes) I loved it when they got to Goldie Delicious place that was unexpected but funny as heck. Really I'm surprised they didn't answer if she was related or not (not that it would really matter she would be so distantly related that its not significant anyway.) but the moral was exactly what I was expecting it to be. The background gags were great and the song was as good as I thought it would be.

Solid 8/10 for now even with 10 minutes missing for me.

Someone just pointed out that it did hint heavily that they are related; Goldie Delicious was a hoarder and Pinkie took excessive scrap booking pictures, the gingerbread house, keeping dangerous animals as pets (Gummy and that Cheetah), taking the book from the bottom like Pinkie took the scroll. Also the hair style. I personally think that yeah that does hint that they are related IMO.

Edit: Ok the beginning of the episode was really good. I loved the look on AJs face when Pinkie hugged her, Pinkies antics when she found out she might be related to AJ were nice (and I don't care what anyone says, very in character for Pinkie, as she was all episode) and the song was still really really good on a second listen as well which is always nice. :D

Edit 2: I just noticed when Pinkie is drawing on the mirror in Goldie Delicious house she gave herself wings. Nice reference to Surprise, her G1 counterpart.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah that was really unexpected. Fan nod!

I really liked the episode. It was just really genuinely funny, and I really appreciated the message about nontraditional families. The eagles were also a bit more intense than you'd expect from this show, but that's part of what made it funny.

Also, that's really good analysis, Ice! I have to say because of it I'll go ahead and agree with the speculation that they're related.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I'm just wondering if Hasbro had any kinda point to making an episode about them possibly being related. :/

The recurring swooping eagle gag was kinda funny though. X3
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, I haven't seen the new episode yet, but a friend shared a gif from it with me that made me both squee and scream.

The Slender Man (Pony) makes an appearance in the background of one scene. And yes, it's Slender Man, not just Slender.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Mystery Plushies Appear Given the title of Episode 16 It Ain't Easy Being Breezies it looks like this is confirmation they are introducing the Flutterponies/Breezies from G1/G3, respectively, again.This could be really interesting if they introduce them as a kind of fairy folk.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I loved the dancing during the song. Just some fantastic animation there.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:I'm not sure about anyone else, but I loved the dancing during the song. Just some fantastic animation there.
Yeah I thought it was pretty darn good. I still think that Generosity was a slightly better song over all but Apples to the Core was second best IMO.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Another thing I loved in that episode that I just thought about was the "Scariest Cave in Equestria". Brilliant, I thought.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Has anyone else seen this series called "Cinemare Sins"? It's in the same spirit as Nighthawke's "My Little Bloopers" series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUWmEorpiU
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I wonder if the cameo by the Slender Pony in the latest episode will lead to any new fan fics with him.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Kitch wrote:Has anyone else seen this series called "Cinemare Sins"? It's in the same spirit as Nighthawke's "My Little Bloopers" series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUWmEorpiU
Yeah, I've seen those. They're quite funny. :mrgreen: and oooh I need to see if nighthawk has made a new my little bloopers yet...
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I am so happy right now. They're bringing King Sombra back in a comic story arc.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Solid ep this week, but I think including Derpy was pretty pointless, save for making drama filled bronies finally shut up and stop acting like children. At least they didn't have her speaking lines, which would have been pure fan pustule and only spawned more drama.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't really see any problem including her. All they needed was to show a pegasus who wasn't exactly the most fit to be an athlete. They could've made some random one-off, but what would that have accomplished that using Derpy didn't? Especially since throughout the show it's already been demonstrated that she's a klutz. By using Derpy, they managed to get the message of "Rainbow Dash's replacement is not a good one" across with the least amount of distraction. I also don't see why it would be so bad if she spoke, other than starting drama.

I liked the episode, though I felt kind of conflicted over the sense of morality involved in it. Yes, Rainbow Dash was showing loyalty to her friends, but what about her friends? Their friend is offered a massive step toward her life's dream, and they're expecting her to sacrifice it just so their town can qualify for a race they're not likely to win anyway. I understand the importance of making sacrifices for your friends, but when that sacrifice is something more important to you than what you're giving is to them, it makes me wonder where their sense of loyalty is.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I honestly didn't like how it portrayed the Wonderbolts at all.

It showed them as sneaky and underhanded in their ways to get Rainbow Dash to join their team. I could understand having them ask Rainbow in a "it's up to you, we understand if you don't chose us," kind of way, but the way they portrayed them just bugs me.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
rollingWolf

Post by rollingWolf »

Im painstakingly slowly trying to get through the movie. A minute there, a minute there. Right now Im where she first enters the principals office. Do I miss too much if I just skip it altogether and jump directly to S04 instead?
¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı ¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The movie is more or less inconsequential. I watched it for completion's sake, but you don't have to.
JeffCvt wrote:I honestly didn't like how it portrayed the Wonderbolts at all.

It showed them as sneaky and underhanded in their ways to get Rainbow Dash to join their team. I could understand having them ask Rainbow in a "it's up to you, we understand if you don't chose us," kind of way, but the way they portrayed them just bugs me.
Yeah I didn't like them picking up the villain ball for this episode. Fortunately they didn't go too far.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I'm not really bothered about watching the movie...I can see from all the trailers it's just another high school musical kinda deal, only with magic thrown in for good measure.

My opinion of the latest Season 4 episode? It was pretty obviously a test of Dashie's loyalty.

Judging how we had an episode about generosity for Rarity (made in manehatten), and now an episode about loyalty for Dashie, both with a shimmering rainbow eye thing going on, I have a pretty good idea where this is heading.
I'm calling it right now...this is leading to a realisation that the elements of harmony were what they had inside themselves the whole time, and that's what opens the mystery box. Something along those lines. As for what they find inside the box, your guess is as good as mine.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:Their friend is offered a massive step toward her life's dream, and they're expecting her to sacrifice it just so their town can qualify for a race they're not likely to win anyway.
that only calls Twilight's loyalty into question, since no one else knew and Fluttershy did say "you don't have to choose us" once she found out.
not to mention that she already went to the wonderbolts academy and Spitfire is aware of her skill. Her dream isn;t flying with the Wonderbolts, it's being a Wonderbolt, and flying for the Cloudsdale team wouldn't really have any bearing on that at this point. Now if she hadn't been to the academy, then it might be a bit more related.
Foxstar wrote:Solid ep this week, but I think including Derpy was pretty pointless, save for making drama filled bronies finally shut up and stop acting like children. At least they didn't have her speaking lines, which would have been pure fan pustule and only spawned more drama.
There's no problem with fan pandering if it has no consequence in the story. At least in my opinion. giving her speaking lines would actually take more effort than just using a nameless background pony, so I can see where you're coming from with that, but as Sleet said, there'd have been a pony there no matter what, not including her would be just as pointless.

on another note, I actually noticed an animation error this time, I usually miss those. when the ribbons are being given out, the ribbons the Wonderbolts are wearing completely disappear when they get to the team before Ponyville.
The Blue Fox wrote:this is leading to a realisation that the elements of harmony were what they had inside themselves the whole time
wasn't that the point of episode 2 of the whole show?

I'm gonna say that the box holds the secret to unlocking rainbow power, and the things that have the rainbow shine are gonna turn into keys

also, I wanted Dashie to sing a song about Loyalty =P
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Yeah but with episode 2 their respective elements were bore in physical form...this is more of a the-ponies-themselves-are-the-elements kinda thing.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Now that I've watched this Episode, I think I've figured out why Dash probably isn't a Wonderbolt yet. The reason they wanted her to join the team instead of Soren when he got got better was because she was the better/faster flyer. They (The Wonderbolts) said it themselves.

This leads me to believe that a position doesn't open up in the Wonderbolts until an actual member leaves the team. They can probably only have X members at one time (6 I believe), so they can't just accept new members whenever new talent comes up.

If that is true, Dash staying with the Ponyville team would not be as all "career shattering" as it might seem.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I liked this episode it was solid and worth a rewatch for sure. Pinkies hair was hilarious and I loved it on twilight as well. I think it used the mane 6 together better than some of the other episodes so far. As for Derpy I loved her showing up and thought it was a great way to have her show up and get a surprising amount of screen time IMO. I also loved the call backs to other episodes and that it was Derpys flag that gave RD the revalation.

The one thing I didn't like was how it made spitfire out to not really care about her teammates. Seemed a bit cold.

Over all I give it a 7.5/10

Edit: One thing a lot of people didn't bring up is the Griffions in the episode. So I guess there is a Griffion majority city in equestria, assuming that the games don't include other countries which iirc its just equestria not anyone else. Also if they were from the griffion kingdom they would likely qualify over there anyway
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Watched the episode. Enjoyed it a lot. Thought they handled reintroducing Derpy to the show the best way possible, not having her say or do anything that could be taken as offensive again while still acknowledging the fans. I liked the scene between Dash and Soarin in the hospital a lot, really reflective and quite. I could see Hurricane Fluttershy, Wonderbolt Academy, and this episode forming a sort of RD trilogy.

The gryphons were really cool. I hope they play a larger role in a future episode.

Also, something I've noticed is that in each episode where that rainbow thingy appears, one of the mane 6 helps another pony be a better pony. With Rarity it was Coco Pommel and with RD it was Spitfire and Fleetfoot.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also foresee many people shipping Fluttershy and Bulk Biceps now. They're just too adorable together.