My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

IceKitsune

Re: My Little Pony

Post by IceKitsune »

Finally a good Spike episode. Tons of expansion on Dragon Lore and looks, the Dragon Lord and Ember are cool and I loved Rarity and Twilights costume changes those were great. Spike was pretty well written here way more than his usual episodes. The plot was a bit over done but I think that can be forgiven for all the other stuff it did for the show lore wise. It was nice to see Celestia and Luna have speaking roles in a normal episode as well. Also Spike having Garbel hug everyone and not tell them why was hilarious and something he kind of deserved IMO. I really thought that they would just have Spike fight Garbel and have Ember take the Scepter and really Spike handing it over to her while predictible was kind of a cop out. However it was overall very enjoyable
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey, a Spike episode that didn't make me dislike Spike! I guess Spike is just best when he plays second fiddle. Here he was really there to support Ember, so he got to be more himself than the self-absorbed jerk he becomes in other Spike episodes.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

So anyway, the next episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw_OtvTZSUc

TRIXIE!!!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:So anyway, the next episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw_OtvTZSUc

TRIXIE!!!
I knew it was going to be Trixie from the synopsis, but I'm glad to see her come back again. I just really hope this is more than Twilight distrusts Trixie because of her past actions and Starlight proves her wrong.

Edit: Ok it kind of was and wasn't what I thought it would be. I enjoyed it a whole lot and it was great to see Trixie back. She and Starlight got tons of character development in this one which they both needed quite badly. I loved the use of Cranky,Derpy and Vinyl in this one especially Cranky's question at the end and Celestia's reaction to it. You know she's gotten that question a million times from ponies. This was just an overall amazing episode from start to finish, it was well paced and the story was well done. Everything felt on point and I can't find very many flaws in it really. 9.5/10 for me one of the episodes I would watch again for sure. I would really argue that this one is up there with Amending Fences,Applebuck Season,Lesson Zero,Pinkie Pride ect. as one of the best of the series
Radio Blue Heart

My favorite part of this week's episode, besides the return of Trixie, was how thoroughly aloof and unimpressed Celestia was with Twilight's dinner. The absurd gathering of guests Twilight pulled together to cover for Glimmer's absence was a nice touch.

I am still getting used to Starlight Glimmer. This episode constantly drew comparisons between her and Trixie, which reinforces my feeling that she is just a substitute and composite of Trixie and Sunset Shimmer.

I can say that the character seems more trust worthy that she gladly admits that she enslaved a whole town and forced conformity onto them.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well that episode was ok, and just ok. There was to much of it that was embarrassing to watch namely the whole Rainbow Dash trying to imitate the rest of the Mane 6 but it was nice to get more development on the wonderbolts especially the nicknames. I'm also glad that Rainbow was put on probation and actually got in trouble this time. It was also nice of them to finally acknowledge that they have saved the world multiple times. This episode really comes down to how well you handle characters embarrassing themselves, if you don't find it off putting and hard to watch like me this episode might go down better. 5/10 for me but if I were to take away how I feel about the cringey/embarrassing parts it goes up to an 7.5/10 at best.

Edit: I really did like the subtle lesson this episode did teach as well; the difference between good natured ribbing on someone and actual bullying. Which is something that a lot of people could stand to learn really, and something I think people will sadly over look in this episode.
Radio Blue Heart

I liked this episode. Dash is finally a full fledged Wonderbolt. At first I thought they were just giving her a hard time but it turns out they do that to everyone as a form of hazing.

I especially like how the Wonderbolts finally recognized the accomplishments of the Mane 6 with the line about saving Equestria on multiple occasions. For a while I though they didn't want her, since the training camp episode, because they knew she was way too good. Not necessarily out of jealousy but because she was better off defending Equestria than in the Wonderbolts.

The best parts were Dash imitating her friends speech and mannerism when she tried to imitated their talents and Scootaloo being a total fan girl.

I have also found a very interesting fan effort that I was completely geeking out over. So much so I stayed up late and read the first ten chapters. I have been waiting for this since IDW started publishing the comic adaptation of both, and I don't usually read fan fics, but someone has written a My Little Pony/Godzilla fan fiction and it is good!

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/121836/ ... 1-the-duel

I know that sounds ridiculous, but it works and it is good. Its called "The Bridge". The story treats the Heisei and Millennium Godzilla series as continuous, with Junior becoming the new Godzilla after his adopted father dies battling Desotroyah, with Junior absorbing his power and life energy.

On an island in the Pacific, a battle rages with the Earth Defenders: Mothra, Rodan and Anguirus, led by Godzilla against Godzilla's "brother" Space Godzilla ( here called Xenilla) and Desotroyah. Having so many kaiju in one spot, even with good kaiju, the humans fire the Dimensional Tide (a weapon introduced in "Godzilla vs Megaguirus") that creates small singularities that bast the kaiju out of our dimension.

And of course, the end up in Equstria. Some arrive in pony form, others take it on later as the acclimate to the new dimension. Here are our new arrivals in pony form:

Their arrival causes some chaos, like Godzilla materializing in Canterlot Castle and fighting Luna, and some arrive just in time to save the day, like Anguirus saving a summer camp and Desotroyah saving the CMC from timerwolves (if only by accident).

And as you can see from the cast chart, the art and character designs are beautiful as are the illustrations. My favorite pony-fied kaiju design is Mothra:

The writing could use a little work. Its a little dry and repetitive in some places, and there are a few grammatical and spelling errors. But that is nitpicking. The story really captures the character's personalities, both the ponies and kaiju, and the OC characters are very likable and well rounded. And the story so far has been very exciting. After the initial six come to Equestria, other Kaiju to arrive and some of the pony villains start showing up too.

With the power of the Elements and the Royal sisters, the kaiju can return to their true forms and battle the newly arrived evil kaiju. It also complicates things that Xenilla and Destoroyah are villains but must band together with the others to find away home. But they too develop and grow as Xenilla battles King Sombra to save Cadence and Destoroyah becomesthe idol of the CMC and develops a bond with Scootaloo.

They also incorporate kaiju from other films. Gamera shows up and Yongary, Pulgasari, and Knifehead are mentioned.

to give you a short preview of it, and it is worth a read, here are some music videos set to the art from the stories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gmLNuHU7WI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GXIgwxsARA

This is a scene from a chapter where a swarm of Gyaos are about to attack Canterlot. With help from Luna's magic, Godzilla returns to kaiju form to defend the city from the ravenous creatures.

Four stars. Check it out.
-Virgil
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Latest episode: MLP does A Christmas Carol ... Genius.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Finally off work so I got to see the episode. I liked that a lot it was pretty adorable, and the songs were great the whole way though. Everyone of those I could see myself listening to again during christmas. Overall it is a pretty good rendition of a Christmas Carol, while it keeps the basic plot points and stuff it puts just enough of a MLP spin on it to make it feel different. I love the part where Starlight pointed out that Twilight was imitating Pinkie that was cute as well as Spike needing to get more coco to single the break. Overall 8/10

Edit: Yet another great episode this week, plenty of great jokes and quite a few nice touches of world building for Manehatten. I really enjoyed Twilight in this episode she was the best! However the others all shine though very, very well too. Really loved the gag with Pinkie and the check near the end :lol: I liked the use of Vinyl in this one and the quick cameo from Coco, the way the story was presented was very nice I liked the use of the interview segments. Overall this one is another top notch episode for the season 8/10.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm finally catching up! I saw No Second Prances and Newbie Dash. I liked seeing Twilight still having something to learn. She's a much better character as a student than a teacher, in my opinion! So it's kinda nostalgic in that regard. Also it's cool seeing Rainbow Dash having to deal with failure. That part where she imitated her friends was absolutely cringeworthy though. >.<
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just watched the new episode, that was pretty good. Not as good as the last couple of episodes but it was very watchable. AJ and Rarity is a bit over done as a team up due to the comics IMO; but they still work well off each other. RD at the spa was funny and I liked that this episode gave the spa ponies a bit more personality or at least Aloe (I think that is the pink one) anyway. Overall not bad but nothing special. 5/10
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm almost caught up, and I really liked The Saddle Row Review. This season has been kind of disappointing for the most part but that was a great episode! It was authentically funny all throughout (I love most of the time Rainbow Dash talked), and the framing device was great.

EDIT: Okay caught up now. An episode about streamlining your workload? Hah, they really are aware how many adults watch their show...
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

I honestly thought the latest episode was the weakest since Spike at your Service, but at least that one had good pacing XD This one just... draaaaaagged on and on, without much of anything interesting happening throughout. I think they could have made a set-up like this work, but the way it was paced made it so strange, and this was genuinely the closest I'd ever been to getting bored watching MLP.

That all being said, the episode prior to this (Saddle Row Review) was quite possibly one of my favorite episodes of the show thus far (not my #1, but definitely in the top 10). The set up was huge fun, and allowed for some hilarious jokes; but best of all, they basically just put all the characters into an interesting situation, and let them just bounce of each-other. We got to see how each of them with their differing personalities reacted to the situation, and it was great fun :D

I really love a show with strong and entertaining characters like that, that can just carry an episode through their interactions alone =)
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This one wasn't that bad, it was far better then I think a lot of people thought it would be. Zephyr Breeze really was unlikeable, to the point where I wanted to knock him upside his head a few times. Rainbow was one of the best parts of this episode her face everytime Zephyr hit on her was amazing. Fluttershys parents were nice and I really enjoyed watching Flutters stand up for herself (which I'm sure several people will call OOC) The song at the end was a bit of a surprise but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I also liked the Legend of Zelda reference in the background with Link and the Rupies. Overall better than this writers last outing 7/10
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

I don't get why people dislike Zephyr so much :P He was an enjoyable little jerk, made me laugh a few times XP
Plus he had a neat redemption at the end that was honestly really inspirational. I think people sometimes tend to get Gilda-syndrome with characters like this, being that if they do anything remotely jerky-ish to the mane 6, they become disliked as bad characters instead of being enjoyed as good foils/villains :P

meh, I liked this episode. As I said, it inspired me to work on my comic *shot* X3
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah I think he went a little too far with unlikability. :P But he had redeeming factors! I know a lot of people like him, honestly. Creative, free-spirit types who have lots of potential but can't put in actual work.

I also liked Rainbow Dash rebuffing his advances. And there always being an angry parent in earshot whenever Fluttershy "swore."
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

It was nice to not only see Fluttershy take a stand on her own, but also force her parents to take one too. I'm not sure if it's a result of her maturing since the beginning of the show, or simply being comfortable enough with her family to be like that with them, but either way, I like it.

Also, I think the song was alright. Not one that'll stand out come the end of the season, but it was nice to see a duet between Rainbow and Fluttershy again. For being nearly lifelong friends, we don't see a lot of one on one interaction between them.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Another Zap2it leak of the next 6 episodes after the coming hiatus. This was basically confirmed by show staff as real as usually they just outright tell us if episode titles are fake. I really, really can't wait for episode 17 (The Times Are A Changeling) that one is going to be interesting as heck I think.

Edit: Time for the last episode before the break! This one was pretty darn good I really liked the song a lot and seeing Pinkie Pie and Rarity actually get on each others nerves a bit was interesting. Zesty was a terrible food critic, no decent food critic wants every place to be the same and have the same food. Most critics would love that little spot its the kind of stuff they live for. I get it she is basically what everyone thinks food critics are like (and critics in general) but its just so far from the truth its hilarious. I also really loved the cameos they had at the end, quite a few big named food personalities were there. 8/10 very much worth watching.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

The message of the latest episode is quite obvious; if everyone followed the trends and do the same thing, no-one gets to stand out and be unique. Quite well done.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I liked the newest Friends Forever comic. It was neat seeing Cadence wrestling with the stereotype toys predominantly marketed at girls have to deal with. Kinda meta if you think about it.
Radio Blue Heart

Just got the GoH toys of Celestia and Nightmare Moon and they look really slick. I find myself in a weird situation where I want to open them up countered by that fanboy desire to leave them as is. Can't wait until the Chrysalis one comes out. Hope they do Luna too.

I also got a copy of the Season 5 set and am in the process of marathon watching it again. As weird as it is, it is still hard for me to watch "The Cutie Map". Starlight Glimmer is, for me, a very insidious villain. How she and her Jim Jones-style cult overpowered an alicorn princess and her team. Robbing them of their identities and saying that conformity is the same as equality.

It makes me wonder if they are setting her up to betray the Mane 6 the way Discord had in season 4.

Behold... the ultimate nightmare scenario.

The trailer for the second half of season 6 looks promising with Spike befriending a lost Changeling. Most likely Chrysalis will return. Maybe friendship between Spike and the lost Changeling will lead to peace between the Ponies and Changelings.
And another part of the trailer showed Daring Do returning.

I know they have said in the past that Sombra is dead, but I would really love to see him come back. Especially now that Cadence and Shining Armor have a child.
-Virgil
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Oh man that picture is so creepy-looking. :shock:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So Stranger than Fanfiction! Loved the episode. It did a great job affectionately poking fun at fans (including MLP fans), and was just a fun episode in general. And I like the message! MLP fans and other nerds could learn a lot from it.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Yeah this was a great return episode, Qubble Pants was very fun and quite accurate to things I've seen. The whole episode was very funny and its good to see Daring Do again. One thing in the episode did surprise me is that they actually put a body pillow into the episode, I about lost it laughing at that point. I can't believe they got away with that. Overall quite a bit of fun and it pokes some good natured fun at fandoms and how some people act. 8/10 very good first episode back.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

IceKitsune wrote:One thing in the episode did surprise me is that they actually put a body pillow into the episode, I about lost it laughing at that point. I can't believe they got away with that.
I'm surprised they did it, but not surprised they got away with it. there's really nothing inherently inappropriate about them. some people just like to hug something while they sleep, and body pillows are cheaper than full-sized hand-made plushies.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Just watched the new episode and I thought it was really good.

Having Patton Oswald as Quibble brought and extra level of nerdy hipster annoying to the character.

It was a good skewering of the fandom and Quibble represented everything wrong with the fandom. Those "I love this show yet I hate everything about it" fans that nitpick everything to death. I have had a few gripes about MLP but he reminds me of the guys that do the "everything wrong with" videos on youtube or the fans who say that the series ended for them when Twilight became and alicorn. Some of them are the fans that go after the writers with a poleaxe for taking it into a direction that they did not like. I really liked the jokes about the body pillow and Quibble's gender-swap cosplay.

This just reminds me that I need to get caught up on the past episodes.

On the comic end of things, the latest story line is coming on nicely. I can't say anything with out spoiling it but lets just say that no one is immune to the corruption caused by the water.
-Virgil
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I REALLY need to catch up on the comics. :/

I thought the whole point of the episode is adressed at the end when they realise they like daring do for different reasons, he liked the puzzle-solving side of things, while she liked the action. You can like the same thing for different reasons.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I loved the credits ranting. It reminds me of Hey Arnold! that would sometimes have stuff extend over the credits.

As if TV stations ever play credits anyway...
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The new episode was pretty good, not the best of the season but still watchable. Seeing Cheerilee having a big part in an episode again was very nice she is one of my favorite secondary characters and I think this is the most screen time she has gotten in seasons. Rarity losing to Derpy as a foal was funny, and it really kind of seemed like that Hasbro might actually be setting the stage for a Pony Kart style video game with the show mentioning that every place has these derbies. The song was ok a bit forgettable IMO but nothing bad or anything. The moral was well done and I liked the scene at the end with RD,Rarity and Applejack in the beach chairs. Overall not much to say about this one really 5/10
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:Seeing Cheerilee
I called her Cheerileeder the whole race.

I wish we got to see the final results of the real race though :P
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This episode was pretty good better then last weeks. Dash pranking Fluttershy was kind of the major thing I didn't like as it seemed a bit OOC given what she said way back in season 1 about it. However I can chalk that up to Dash thinking Fluttershy had grown over the years. Other than that it was pretty good, I liked the atmosphere that they gave it towards the end it was surprisingly creepy. While even I think the plot was a little bit reminiscent of MMDW I think it handled a lot of the issues that episode had very well and did that plot better; and this is coming from someone who doesn't think MMDW was as bad as everyone says it is. 7/10 for me can't wait for next week, I've been anticipating the next episode all season long.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've never been a big fan of Rainbow Dash being a jerk, and I kind of saw the ending a mile away. I wasn't a big fan of the episode, really.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Yeah, the way the episode played out was far too predictable.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This one was really good, glad spike got a song and Thorax was cool. The only major issue was it kind of felt like the ending was just a bit rushed just a bit. Really as much as I liked the song they could have cut it down a bit (I really wouldn’t have them cut it all as that song was great) and given that time to the ending of the episode (especially to have Shining Armor’s turn around be less quick) and it would have been basically perfect.

Also we learned quite a bit about changelings abilities they can turn into anything it seems, inanimate objects aren’t out of the question nor are two legged creatures. These were two limitations that a lot of fans gave them which are no longer true. As one of my most anticipated episodes of the season I was not disappointed. 9/10 for me.
Radio Blue Heart

I really liked this episode and hope to see more of Thorax. For me, the best bit was him recollecting his childhood (larval stage?) and seeing all the new born Changelings crawling around the holes in Chrysalis's legs. Maybe in future episodes he could be an ambassador for the Changelings and Chrysalis can be reformed.

It reminds me of a quote from my favorite book, "John Dies at the End".

"Not all monsters do monstrous things."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

so how long til we get fan fics where Thorax goes back to the Changeling kingdom to teach them friendship and ends up leading a rebellion and becoming the new king? I assume at least one is probably in the works already
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok this episode was a blast! Tons of fun throughout it, and it gave us a great look into Spike and Big Mac; and gave Discord even more development along the lines of his gaining friends. I loved all the references in this episode and they played the D&D aspect really well. The little guys night dance they did was super cute and silly. Discord was great as always especially with the whole 20s club scene. The only thing I didn't 100% like was them not giving Big Mac any real lines that was about the only weakness to me. 9/10 great episode.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Discord called Big Mac "monosyllabic" but "eeyup" has two syllables, worst episode ever.
(but really I liked it. just wish they'd made Discord's suit yellow to reference The Mask)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:just wish they'd made Discord's suit yellow to reference The Mask
THIS. So much this. I was definitely thinking it looked just like the mask's suit only orange. Complete missed opportunity for a brilliant reference.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Man, that was a fun episode. :3 Hasbro selling Hasbro properties, it seems. :P