My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Kyderra

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Kyderra »

JohnWillow wrote:There's a couple of endings i've always liked. As Told By Ginger and Digimon Tamers

Yes and no, A lot of Digimon fans where really upset by some of those character ending choices.

And if you think about it, if they where to show something like "and twilight is now a princes!" it would remove a lot of artistic freedome for fanfics.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

How so?
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Twist ending: Derpy is Celestia and Luna's mother.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I sincerely hope that, however they decide to end the series, they do not make Twilight an alicorn.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

KJOokami wrote:I sincerely hope that, however they decide to end the series, they do not make Twilight an alicorn.
They could do worse. Introduce humans, for example.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:
KJOokami wrote:I sincerely hope that, however they decide to end the series, they do not make Twilight an alicorn.
They could do worse. Introduce humans, for example.
I personally wouldn't mind either of these as long as they were handled well and were temporary. Like being an Alicorn was a one time (or something that took a special spell or something) power up, and humans were only like lost travelers that went back to earth at the end of the episode.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Why would they even do that?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

How would they even do that?

Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Sleet wrote:
Why would they even do that?
New merchandise
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

It's just something that's been spreading throughout the fandom for a while now. A lot of people apparently want to see Celestia and/or Luna turn Twilight into an alicorn and make her the new ruler of Equestria.

The main reason I'm opposed to the idea is a simple lack of proper motive to do so. For what reason would Celestia be stepping down as ruler? Why wouldn't Luna take her place instead? Why does Twilight need to be an alicorn in order to rule? Student/Librarian to Supreme Ruler of the Nation?

That, and it completely messes with my head-canon that alicorns are basically what wizards are to the LoTR universe. They are just an ancient race that was prevalent long before the other pony races came to Equestria, but have slowly died out over time so that there are only a few left now. (In other words: they were born and cannot be made.)
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

KJOokami wrote:It's just something that's been spreading throughout the fandom for a while now. A lot of people apparently want to see Celestia and/or Luna turn Twilight into an alicorn and make her the new ruler of Equestria.

The main reason I'm opposed to the idea is a simple lack of proper motive to do so. For what reason would Celestia be stepping down as ruler? Why wouldn't Luna take her place instead? Why does Twilight need to be an alicorn in order to rule? Student/Librarian to Supreme Ruler of the Nation?

That, and it completely messes with my head-canon that alicorns are basically what wizards are to the LoTR universe. They are just an ancient race that was prevalent long before the other pony races came to Equestria, but have slowly died out over time so that there are only a few left now. (In other words: they were born and cannot be made.)
Twilight Sparkle becoming the new ruler of Equestria definitely makes no sense.

Unrelated, but I must not let this tragedy of nerdness to stand. LotR wizards are not an ancient race that died out, they are basically angels sent to help fight against Sauron.

ANYWAY! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jqVrGX9ME&feature=plcp My favorite movie, ponified!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Penwrite wrote:they are basically angels sent to help fight against Sauron.

I'd be interested to know where you got that information.

So I was wrong about them being "prevalent", but according to the Wiki, there were originally five wizards, and at the time of the films/books there were only two left. They were, however, an ancient race (they've been around for a couple millennia), and they are slowly dying off. That was pretty much the only point I was making.

See, in my head-canon, there used to be far more alicorns several thousand years back in Equestria's (then an unnamed land or named something else) history, along with other creatures we see in the show (such as Draconequus and the celestial animals of the Everfree Forest). I figure that Cadance was the last-born before the last male alicorn died off, leaving Celestia, Luna, and Cadance as the last remaining alicorns.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

so... a new song is gonna be in the next episode. thoughts on it?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Today, I got a little PM for a old Forum member, perhaps you remember him, his name was Zander Image
He now goes by the name of DILeak.

But here's the kicker, are you ready for this?
here it comes,

This is his DeviantArt: http://dileak.deviantart.com/art/Animat ... -315706838
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Twilight could become a Alicorn without becoming a ruler of anything. I'm not part of the party that thinks having her become one is jumping the shark.

Today's ep was alright. If they had just went to Applejack, the whole thing could have been avoided.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:so... a new song is gonna be in the next episode. thoughts on it?
The song itself isn't too bad, though the lyrics are pretty weak at points. ("But for now, we're staying out of her way 'til then." ?)

The main thing I don't like about it is the lazy animation. This is the first time in the show that they used repeated clips for a song (I'm pretty sure anyhow), and they even went as far as to completely recycle the animation loop for the chorus. They change it slightly for the 3rd chorus, but it's still mostly re-used clips.

I really hope that it's an isolated incident, and not a picture of what we'll be seeing in the future. Like, they were really crunched for time on it so they had to give it a bit of a rush job; I can understand that. But to really put something like that out as the best they can do? Ehhhh. I hope not.
Kyderra wrote:He now goes by the name of DILeak.
Whaaaaaaat? No way. I've been watching his pony stuff on DA for a while now. :)

I had no idea he and Zander are the same person.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the topic of the new episode: I thought it was pretty mediocre. Which, by FiM standards, is pretty bad.

My primary concern arose the moment they released the first teaser with Babs Seed in it. The character is very clearly a girl, yet she doesn't sound anything like one. She doesn't even sound like a more masculine girl. She just sounds like a straight-up guy. It's like when they were casting her part, the person in charge never got the memo that they were supposed to be casting a female character.

I mean, most of the background characters we've seen throughout the series have had more fitting voices, but at least with those you can chalk up a bad voice to, "Well, it's a background character." But for one who's supposed to be the main antagonist of an episode? Eh.

And the other problem I had was with the song sequence. (See above for details.)

It had its moments--like the introduction to the CMC clubhouse, and the speech at the end accepting Babs into the CMC--but on the whole, I wasn't nearly as impressed with this episode as I was with the previous three.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Play Station All Stars came out so I had an excuse to draw chubby Diamond.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

my thought on the episode: horrible.
First, as it was said by many people already, the music was weak (this day aria still my number 1)
As for the plot, it had potential. It could have been a decent anti-bullying episode, but it was utterly ruined with the whole "awwww. Let's feel sorry for Babs because she was bullied too.", that's complete *******. I must say there IS a temptation of joining the bully side when you are beng bullied for so long (I'm a bully victim as well to the point of dreading go to middle school. Thankfully I changed schools before starting high school and, thankfully, I managed to make friends there and I wasn't bullied anymore). But guess what? It's still not an excuse to act like a complete jerk. I didn't feel sorry for that filly. I was ****** *** at her because she was a bully victim as well and she chose the path to inflict pain to others when it's something she hated when others had done to her.
I know it's hard and even when you tell your parents or teacher the bully doesn't back down and even fighting back can backfire (I thought back when I got tired of being pushed around and I didn't get out unscrathed, obviously, but it felt good to not let people trample over me anymore). But these options are MUCH better than simple say "I was a victim and now I choose to hurt others. Now feel sorry for me!"
I'm sorry, but I can't. I'll simply hate that new character for being weak and pathetic.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

yeah this was
not very good
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Don't hate the episode for the character. I was also bullied majorly in middle school, and I could actually see where she was coming from. She was too shy to really hit it off with the CMC at first, it was much easier to just go with DT and SS. What I actually hate is seeing how she didn't really seem to feel bad about teasing them. Having been in their position before, she should have known how they felt and should have shown something. I think that was the weak point of the episode for me.

But my biggest problem was that I have never heard an accent like that one before.
To me it sounds like the voice actor didn't know she was a girl AND didn't know how to properly do the accent.

As for the song, I liked it. And the animation.
To me it seemed that the feel was supposed to be like that. Yes, it could have been better, but the repetition was a good set up for the end when they were soaked or had the apples being thrown at them.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i think they were trying to go for a brooklyn accent
that was a terrible brooklyn accent
exranio

Post by exranio »

I have a New York friend. He confirmed it for a very thick Bronx accent.
And frankly I love this episode. If anyone remembers my favourite character list, I love characters who can easily be jerks and self serving when they want. But in this case the ending really made it for me. It was like "Remember how intimidating I was as a villain? Well I'm just as scary as a good guy so get out my way!" Which is something else hat made my new york friends happy.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I wouldn't have hated the episode for the character if they hadn't treated the situation like this: "oh it's not Babs' fault ffor being a bully. It's not like she had free will or anything. Don't hate her and feel lots of sorry for her. MM'kay"
Also, Scootaloo is officially orphan (yweah, I know. Not really since SB's parents weren't mentioned either, but it still gives lots of support for that theory).
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
exranio

Post by exranio »

I dunno to me it felt more like "She made a bad choice." just like the CMC made a bad choice. Really it's an entire show about people making bad decisions and learning from it.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I dunno, given that this is again, My Little Pony, it was right in line with what I expected from a childrens cartoon.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

angelusbr wrote: Also, Scootaloo is officially orphan (yweah, I know. Not really since SB's parents weren't mentioned either, but it still gives lots of support for that theory).
I think we will likely get some kind of answer for that question in Sleepless in Ponyville, or at least something that pushes it greatly in one direction or another anyway.

As for the episode I thought it was very amusing not as good as the last 3 but still worth the watch. The song was very adorable, the plot was completely predictable of course (almost annoyingly so) but I wasn't really expecting much else. Also I believe this is the first time we've seen Sweetie Bells actual home. I would give it a 7/10 overall.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I think this episode improves when you look at the big picture. We've already had one episode with an unrepentant, unexplained bully in Gilda, so I like how Babs was better fleshed out.

Also come on, mercy and forgiveness are good things.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

angelusbr wrote:the music was weak
I liked the royalty free version of the A-Team theme they used while making the float.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

this is adorable
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

Heh, there were a lot of shiny butts in this episode.

I quite enjoyed the babs seed song but thought the story was too obvious and easily resolved.

JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Yea, the story was easy to see what would happen, but everyone needs to remember this is a show for kids. The lesson of going to an adult is actually a very good one.

There were a lot of problems I had in middle school with bullies that could have been solved with going to an adult, but I never did.

Oh, and this.
angelusbr wrote:Also, Scootaloo is officially orphan (yweah, I know. Not really since SB's parents weren't mentioned either, but it still gives lots of support for that theory).
I have a feeling Applejack was the one they would go to seeing how Babs was related to her. Kind of like your parents would be the first people you think to go to if your older brother was bullying you.

And one last thing, is anyone else bothered by how short her tail was? It just seemed to be too short for what her hair style was like to me.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

mariomarc wrote:this is adorable
That is the most adorable milkshake-drinking I've ever seen. Sweetie Belle is most adorable CMC. I'll knife fight anyone that says otherwise. *not serious, obviously*
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

JeffCvt wrote:And one last thing, is anyone else bothered by how short her tail was? It just seemed to be too short for what her hair style was like to me.
I think that was the point. Her tail was short in comparison with her mane so she couldn't hide that she had a blank flank. Also I think the way her mane always got in her eyes was a sign that she was annoyed that her mane was longer than her tail.

Overall I think this wasn't a great episode. The contradiction in Diamond and Silver's characters (ie letting a blank flank become their friend) was enough of a giveaway that the writing would be a little lazy. But maybe that's why the artists made babs bigger than everyone.

I just read in a paper today that about 1 in 5 children are giving up their hobbies like drama and maths just because they're getting bullied. Although I didn't like the episode i see why so many men like this series, and think this show will do a lot of good for the next generation of boys and girls who bully each other over their feminine or masculine hobbies.

IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

JohnWillow wrote:
Overall I think this wasn't a great episode. The contradiction in Diamond and Silver's characters (ie letting a blank flank become their friend) was enough of a giveaway that the writing would be a little lazy. But maybe that's why the artists made babs bigger than everyone.
Actually I kind of wondered what in the world were Diamond and Silver even doing at the CMCs float in the first place. They had no reason to be there at all, and yeah them letting Babs become their friend was a silly contradiction.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Not that much of a contradiction. It's not that they hate blank flanks (though DT very well may hate Apple Bloom specifically) but that they are an incredibly easy target. Basically the second Babs decided to decided to insult the CMC it was like "Oh she's against them too, cool." followed by breaking the pumpkin thing which was basically Super Ultra Amazing on the bullying scale (Not to mention better than anything DT had done up to this point which was mostly just harassment). It's basically that despite being a blank flank she was cool enough. The Enemy of My Enemy is my friend and what not.

The Manhattan thing is probably a bonus too
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I think the episode did a fantastic job of showing some of the actual psychology behind bullying, and I'm glad they went the route of letting the audience know about Babs' past. It provided a good lesson, and at the same time gave viewers some insight into the way many bullies are created.

And knowing is half the battle.

My previous complaints still stand, but it was still a much better episode than I think some are giving it credit for.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, after watching the episode again, this time with my brother, I think I can give my full opinion on it.

I really like it. Babs Seed's accent wasn't nearly as grating as I expected it to be from that one clip, and I thought the voice-acting as a whole was really great. You can tell Michelle Creber and the voices for the other CMC have really come a long way. I also thought the animation was good. Not the best the show has had, but full of energy and movement. This episode definitely has a lot of great faces though, that's for sure.

I like the song, too. Not the best song, but again, not the worst the show's ever had. Reminded me a lot of the musical numbers Scooby Doo had in its old cartoon, which I think was intentional. humor-wise, this episode was in top form. A lot of good visual gags, and the thing at the end with the overly-long CMC induction speech had me laughing at loud. Especially how it was done twice! Hah!

As for the story and its lesson at the end; while I admit it's not the most original, I think it's a very important lesson to teach. Bullying is a serious problem, and telling an adult about it should always be the first option when dealing with it.

Also, movies and motorized vehicles confirmed for existing in Equestria.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

http://snapai.deviantart.com/art/Lyravator-339663601

My face was petty much like that of Celestia throughout it
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Kyderra wrote:http://snapai.deviantart.com/art/Lyravator-339663601

Kyderra, may... may I give you a hug? I really want to hug you. Here. *hugs*

And on a completely unrelated topic, I just discovered Michelle Creber's album on iTunes and OH MY GOSH SHE'S GREAT!

Sweetie Belle needs a solo song, stat!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Penwrite wrote:
Kyderra wrote:http://snapai.deviantart.com/art/Lyravator-339663601

Kyderra, may... may I give you a hug? I really want to hug you. Here. *hugs*

And on a completely unrelated topic, I just discovered Michelle Creber's album on iTunes and OH MY GOSH SHE'S GREAT!

Sweetie Belle needs a solo song, stat!
course *hugs*

I bought Spies in the night a while back, rather addictive little song.
Also, the Saturday night tombstone remix is awesome.