My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: My Little Pony

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

least favorite song is definitely 99 buckets of oats. favorite is probably racist barn.

as for episodes, I don't like to play favorites.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

mariomarc wrote:so guys
best and worst episode of season 3?
and of full show?
Magical Mystery Cure for best. None of the eps during season 3 were bad enough to me to be called worse.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Favorite episode of S3: Magic Duel or Sleepless in Ponyville ; if I had to choose one... ehhhh probably Sleepless in Ponyville. If only because, "OMG WE FINALLY GOT A SCOOTALOO EPISODE." Least favorite episode of S3 is Spike at Your Service, hands down. It's the first episode since Baby Cakes to literally make me cringe. Unlike Baby Cakes, however, a second watching didn't do anything to stop me from cringing.

Favorite episode of the show is still Party of One. Barr none, the best blend of comedy, emotion, and character insight we've seen in the show to date. Least favorite of the show is still Spike at Your Service. I just really have very little positive to say about that episode. :I

As for songs, Smile is still number one and Winter Wrap-Up is still second place. Season 3 didn't really bring any phenomenal songs, but I didn't particularly dislike any of them either. I'd have to re-watch the season finale to really give my full opinion (since that's where most of the songs were); on my first watch, the only ones which stuck out to me were True, True Friend, and What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me. They weren't spectacular, but they were still really good, and definitely on-par with what I've come to expect from the show by this point.

I've Got To Find a Way was also really neat, but I had the same issue with that as I did with This Day Aria: it just wasn't long enough. As far as setting tone and creating atmosphere for the scene, Find a Way is easily one of the strongest in the show's running. But it just ended too quickly. If not for that, it would have easily been a contender for my top three.

Celestia's Ballad is an interesting case in that I really don't remember it. Like, at all. I remember that it happened, but it just had so little impact on me that I can't even recall the tune. Which is why I'm a little confused as to why so many people seem to have loved it. I know when the episode first aired, half of the people in the Skype chats I'm a part of exploded with praise for that song.

It was like, "DUDE DUDE DUDE. CELESTIA SANG. HOW COOL IS THAT?!"
And I was like, "Oh. Um. Yeah. That happened. I suppose."

I dunno. Maybe I'm just weird.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So now that the first arc of the comic series is over what did everyone think about it? I thought it was very good and the references were very nice. I hope they do a lot more world building in it and I hope it continues on after the show is over. I can't wait for the next arc to start and find out who has taken Nightmare Moons place. Its either Rarity or Spike from what I've been hearing.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Gah! I really need a comic shop in my town! DX
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:Gah! I really need a comic shop in my town! DX
You can order them digitally here Comixology or Itunes I mean if you don't have a comic shop its the only chance you have really. Though I would wait to buy the 4th one until the 5th comes out because it looks like they lower the price of the previous issue when a new one comes out.

Edit: We have confirmations on the Crystal Heart Spell Book, some one on 4chan has scans. So it turns out that Cadance was an orphaned Pegasus (confirming that its not just Unicorns who can become Alicorns) who could help people find love and she had to defeat an old witch/hermit who was sucking the love out of her village by using this necklace (Likely the Alicorn Amulet since its described as feeding off anger). Cadance defeated her by making her own type of Love Magic and went to that exact same place that Twilight went to met Celestia and became an Alicorn. Also Derpy, Trixie and Gilda make appearances as well. Though not at the same time and Derpy is not named. She trips into a bush and asks for muffins from Mr. Cake, who is out of them.There is a lot more to it but stuff hasn't been posted yet plus I think the only thing about it that is likely to be canon (if anything) is the Cadance back story part; which until I find out other wise (from the show itself or the show writers;though that is unlikely because from what I've heard the writer was given info early from the show writers so its very likely this is all canon) I'm taking it as canon.

Oh and if your curious about how its written (like reading level/writing style wise) think Goosebumps, what I have read of it reminds me a lot of Goosebumps and similar books for that age level. Mind you its been years since I last read a Goosebumps book but that is what jumps right to the front of my mind when I read it.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, I finally managed to get to an out-of-town shop and get issues 3 and 4. Those were really good. I wonder how many people got all the references on that one page. You know the one.

"Hey Georgie!"

I never needed to see a pony Pennywise the Clown. DX

"I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!"

Deadites, nooooooo!!! D:> Although, now we know souls are a thing in Equestria.

Also, Spike looks awesome with an eyepatch.

Edit: Also, I just noticed that we'll be getting a new artist next issue.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:So, I finally managed to get to an out-of-town shop and get issues 3 and 4. Those were really good. I wonder how many people got all the references on that one page. You know the one.

"Hey Georgie!"

I never needed to see a pony Pennywise the Clown. DX

"I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!"

Deadites, nooooooo!!! D:> Although, now we know souls are a thing in Equestria.

Also, Spike looks awesome with an eyepatch.

Edit: Also, I just noticed that we'll be getting a new artist next issue.
IIRC its only for that arc then they go back to the regular artist. And speaking of books and movies that exist in FIM in the Twilight micro series we learn that I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream exists in the FIM universe as well (called I Have No Snout and I Must Whinny). I now want to see a pony version of Bruce Campbell. Also I agree Spike looked awesome in an eye patch.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

By the way, did anyone else notice the Watcher Pony throughout the first four issues? The pony in a nice suit and hat watching from the background?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:By the way, did anyone else notice the Watcher Pony throughout the first four issues? The pony in a nice suit and hat watching from the background?
Yeah I did the its an admitted reference to the show Fringe IIRC nothing more.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:
Penwrite wrote:By the way, did anyone else notice the Watcher Pony throughout the first four issues? The pony in a nice suit and hat watching from the background?
Yeah I did the its an admitted reference to the show Fringe IIRC nothing more.
Aww nuts. I was hoping it was the first veiled hint to something big the comic was leading up to in the far future. Oh well.

Also, re-reading the fourth issue and just noticed that changeling horns are curved the same way as Sombra's horn was. My new headcanon is that his good emotions were eaten by a changeling, leaving him with only hate and stuff.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

I already failed to understand the appeal of MLP even after watching it one time. But, no disrespect to anyone, I really fail to see how it could be made into an RP. Sometimes, I feel like me and my GF are the only ones that DON'T like MLP. I wonder, though, does anyone else here dislike or feel indifferent towards MLP? I would like to know.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

everyone who posts in this thread is a fan of the show, so you'll probably get no as an answer.

and it can be made into an RP because there are mythical creatures and villains that can be fought using magic and other combat techniques, just like in any fantasy based RPG.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:everyone who posts in this thread is a fan of the show, so you'll probably get no as an answer.

and it can be made into an RP because there are mythical creatures and villains that can be fought using magic and other combat techniques, just like in any fantasy based RPG.
In Housepets! there are mythical creatures and villains that can be fought using a set of multi-sided dice. I wanna play that RPG!
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

that's... pretty much the entire RP section of the forums.

Edit: so I realized something the other day. Luna's dream walking ability must be something new since her return from the moon, because if she was able to patrol dreams and interact with the ponies in their sleep, why would she have gotten jealous of everypony having fun in the day and sleeping all night?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:that's... pretty much the entire RP section of the forums.

Edit: so I realized something the other day. Luna's dream walking ability must be something new since her return from the moon, because if she was able to patrol dreams and interact with the ponies in their sleep, why would she have gotten jealous of everypony having fun in the day and sleeping all night?
Actually her dream walking ability doesn't have to be new at all. Its very possible everyone blamed her for Nightmares (hence taking the name Nightmare Moon) and took what she did in the dream world for granted. It also seems like that what she got angry about was people not appreciating what she did with the night sky, she put a lot of work into the stars and constellations but no one cared because they slept though it all the time so she felt like her hard work was useless.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Dr. Prower wrote:I already failed to understand the appeal of MLP even after watching it one time. But, no disrespect to anyone, I really fail to see how it could be made into an RP. Sometimes, I feel like me and my GF are the only ones that DON'T like MLP. I wonder, though, does anyone else here dislike or feel indifferent towards MLP? I would like to know.
You've only watched it one time? Can't see how it can be made into an RP? Hm, perhaps you didn't catch the right episode for what you were looking for. Some episodes do focus less on the fantasy elements than others.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Dr. Prower wrote:I already failed to understand the appeal of MLP even after watching it one time. But, no disrespect to anyone, I really fail to see how it could be made into an RP. Sometimes, I feel like me and my GF are the only ones that DON'T like MLP. I wonder, though, does anyone else here dislike or feel indifferent towards MLP? I would like to know.
At the risk of being shot by everyone on these forums, my feelings toward the show are actually fairly indifferent toward the show itself. Considering I'm a brony.

I find that the show is good, but really, the animation doesn't seem like anything special to me. In fact, MLP has the biggest animation screw-up I've ever seen.

And while the voice acting for the main characters is great, I always cringe when I here background characters talk. (And no, I'm not referring to the Derpy thing) They just never seem to sound right.

I enjoy the show, but it's nothing special compared to any other animated series I've seen in my opinion. The thing I love about it is the fandom.

They create awesome artwork, funny comics, songs, even great writing like My Little Dashie or Rainbow Factory. (Yes, Rainbow Factory was really dark. But aside from Rainbow Dash's characterization, I can't say anything bad about it from a strict third party view. I found the writing was actually pretty good.)

The fandom does so many awesome things, and I can say that's the real reason I'm a brony. If you don't like it, fine. Just let it be known that not every brony goes crazy about the show claiming it's the best thing ever. I actually find it fairly average.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

No. No no no. NO.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/03/r ... girls.html

No no no no NO NO NONONONONONONONOOOOOO!!!!!!

That would be stupid if true! Stupid stupid stupid! He's not a pet in the main show, why in the world would he be a pet in the offshoot!? What about Spike's crush on Rarity, one of his defining characteristics? What about him being Twilight's #1 assistant?

I could learn to like the designs, the apparent school setting, everything, but this is just... guh.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:No. No no no. NO.

That would be stupid if true! Stupid stupid stupid! He's not a pet in the main show, why in the world would he be a pet in the offshoot!? What about Spike's crush on Rarity, one of his defining characteristics? What about him being Twilight's #1 assistant?

I could learn to like the designs, the apparent school setting, everything, but this is just... guh.
Well I guess they could have gone with him being an adopted little brother but really what else could they have done with him in this universe? I was expecting the dog/pet angle from the start of this. It doesn't change anything in FIM.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

JeffCvt wrote:great writing like My Little Dashie
*sigh* ... really?

In order to keep myself from going off on a ranting tangent, I'm just gonna say that I personally feel that My Little Dashie is one of the worst pieces of fiction to come out of the fandom. It's like the brony fandom's equivalent to the Twilight saga.

I also feel inclined to say that the number of errors in FiM is likely no more than any other cartoon; the difference being that FiM has an enormous sub-culture of a fandom behind it, full of keen-eyed people who quite enjoy picking the show apart, frame-by-frame. If you gave the same treatment to any other cartoon, I'd be willing to bet you would find similar slip-ups.

And I know I'm really getting into subjective territory here, but can you honestly fault a show with such brilliant voice-work in its primary cast for having some less-than-optimal performances from characters with a single line of dialogue to their names in 65 episodes of material? That seems more than a little nit-picky.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

While I will disagree that its the worst thing to come out of the fandom Fanfic wise. I will say My Little Dashie is grossly overrated and there are much much better fanfictions that this fandom has produced. I could easily name 20 finished fanfics that I think are better then My Little Dashie which I'm convinced is only considered as good as it is because it was written so early in the fandoms life.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

KJOokami wrote:I personally feel that My Little Dashie is one of the worst pieces of fiction to come out of the fandom.
To each his own. I happened to enjoy it, although I have to admit I didn't actually read it. I listened to Mike the Mic read it on YouTube. (Warning: If you decide to check out his channel, he does some very NSFW readings on it. Proceed with caution, as you can't usually tell until after you start listening.)

And I never said MLP had more errors, just that they have the worst one I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... f2Q#t=536s(Watch the duck)

I've seen that series "My Little Pony: Mistakes are Forever" that will pick every error that can possibly be found down to the stupidest things that only someone playing back every episode, frame by frame could possibly catch, and I can't say I'm impressed by it. Like you said, MLP probably isn't the only show to have those kinds of errors.

But the duck layering fail that I just showed is the worst animation fail I've ever seen and that should have been caught before the episode aired. That was just sloppy work.

And I will admit that complaining about a background character's voice is getting a little nit-picky, but it doesn't change the fact I still cringe when it happens. I just feel they could have at least tried to do better.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I mostly attribute My Little Dashie's popularity to the fact it's essentially a self-insert story for every person who's ever had the thought cross their mind, "Gee. I wish I had a pony friend of my own in REAL life." Which there are quite a few of. Which is why I compared it to Twilight. It's not popular because it's well-written; because it's not. It's not popular because it told a good story; it really didn't. It's popular because people can read it and pretend they're the one who found their favorite pony in a box on their way home from work to make their lives happier.

Obviously, this doesn't account for *everyone* who likes it. But I'd say it covers the vast majority.

As for that duck: wowsers. Yeah, that was bad. However, on the whole, the animation quality of FiM is easily some of the strongest, most dynamic animation of any cartoon released in more recent years (barring, of course, more story-driven series like, say, Teen Titans or Avatar: The Last Airbender). So I can't say I'd really agree that the occasional major malfunction like that detracts all that much from the overall quality of the final product.

And I've personally never heard a bad performance from a background character; there have been some weird voices, certainly, but nothing I'd consider cringe-worthy. Though that's entirely up to personal preference. The only thing that bothered me, as a voice actor, was Babs Seed's voice. And it wasn't necessarily a bad voice, either. It just didn't fit the character they gave it to, in my opinion. But, as you said, to each their own, I suppose.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Penwrite wrote:No. No no no. NO.

i am going to give the spin-off a chance
i will try to be fair
but i think i will hate it
*sigh*

also i have not read my little dashie
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm also gonna give it a chance. I have low hopes for it, but then again I also had low hopes for Friendship is Magic.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I personally liked My Little Dashie because of the story concept, even if it wasn't that original. But I will agree it isn't the best piece of fan-fiction I've read. That honor goes to Penwrite's Knights of Equestria and Equestrian Knights. Although he does have a run for his money coming with another fic I'm reading.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

you know, if the rumor was that spike was going to be a pet lizard, i wouldn't hate it as much
unfortunately that won't happen because hasbro will assume girls think lizards are gross

but
if we got one second of dog spike humping rarity's leg
i would forgive everything
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

JeffCvt wrote:I personally liked My Little Dashie because of the story concept, even if it wasn't that original. But I will agree it isn't the best piece of fan-fiction I've read. That honor goes to Penwrite's Knights of Equestria and Equestrian Knights. Although he does have a run for his money coming with another fic I'm reading.
*gasps* What is this fic's name!? I must crush it beneath my boot heel!

Wait, I don't own any boots...
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

It's called The Magnificent Six. (It's on Fimfiction)

Basically, it's the future and Cadence must train Six new bearers for the elements of harmony. The six that are being trained are similar to the original Main Six, but are still different enough that I think it's going to be interesting to watch unfold.

I'm actually helping review everything the author has already written (All 91,000 words) and everything he does as it gets done. Right now I'm getting the entire thing split up on Google Docs.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Man, I hate it when great ideas come at times you can't work on them. if I weren't busy with The Crusaders, I'd totally write a Sombra origin story in the style of Wicked. Songs and everything. That'd be great.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

KJOokami wrote:I mostly attribute My Little Dashie's popularity to the fact it's essentially a self-insert story for every person who's ever had the thought cross their mind, "Gee. I wish I had a pony friend of my own in REAL life." Which there are quite a few of. Which is why I compared it to Twilight. It's not popular because it's well-written; because it's not. It's not popular because it told a good story; it really didn't. It's popular because people can read it and pretend they're the one who found their favorite pony in a box on their way home from work to make their lives happier.

Obviously, this doesn't account for *everyone* who likes it. But I'd say it covers the vast majority.

As for that duck: wowsers. Yeah, that was bad. However, on the whole, the animation quality of FiM is easily some of the strongest, most dynamic animation of any cartoon released in more recent years (barring, of course, more story-driven series like, say, Teen Titans or Avatar: The Last Airbender). So I can't say I'd really agree that the occasional major malfunction like that detracts all that much from the overall quality of the final product. And I've personally never heard a bad performance from a background character; there have been some weird voices, certainly, but nothing I'd consider cringe-worthy. Though that's entirely up to personal preference. The only thing that bothered me, as a voice actor, was Babs Seed's voice. And it wasn't necessarily a bad voice, either. It just didn't fit the character they gave it to, in my opinion. But, as you said, to each their own, I suppose.
What duck was that? I found the Timber Wolves pretty weird too. Why were they so...bright? And yea, MLP has to be the most expressive show I've seen since Teen Titans. At times certain expressions look out of place to me, like a lot of times when the character's are in an all out run against obstacles or charging to the rescue, and I think Twilight's first Alicorn appearance would've been better if she didn't have her eyes closed in that "I'm so darn important" kind of way.

Speaking of which

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYP-bxy-sbY

:lol:

JeffCvt wrote:It's called The Magnificent Six. (It's on Fimfiction)

Basically, it's the future and Cadence must train Six new bearers for the elements of harmony. The six that are being trained are similar to the original Main Six, but are still different enough that I think it's going to be interesting to watch unfold.

I'm actually helping review everything the author has already written (All 91,000 words) and everything he does as it gets done. Right now I'm getting the entire thing split up on Google Docs.
Do you have a link to this?

I'll have to listen to My Little Dashie sometime, hope the guy finishes his movie.

Did anyone hear this announcement a few weeks ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBS1wGmvk3M
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

JohnWillow wrote:What duck was that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... f2Q#t=536s(Watch the duck)
JohnWillow wrote:Do you have a link to this?
Here you go.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/36440/t ... ficent-six

The revised content hadn't been put up yet. We're still trying to figure out exactly what we're doing.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Sinder wrote:Image
(Sinder put this on the comic arc thread, but my thought is relevant to this thread.)

Seeing this reminds me of a particular PMV for the Katy Perry song "Last Friday Night".

(And no, not the one with tons and tons of still images... while funny, I find using that many stills in a music video cheating.)
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Lauren Faust and Cindy Morrow are giving out some FIM trivia on Twiter right now. https://twitter.com/Fyre_flye and https://twitter.com/orangemeerkat there are some interesting little tidbits on here. Like Luna was going to be called Selena and Pinkie Pie went on a sugar rush and destroys things (namely the Cakes door) as a super power. Also Rarity was going to be the Element of Inspiration and Scootaloo was going to get in a bunch of school yard fights for being picked on for not being able to fly.

Edit: EQD Post about the Trivia

Edit 2: Craig McCracken came up with the names Canterlot (originally Canterbury) and Cloudsdale. He also designed the Wonderbolts Uniform.

Also I can't stop thinking of Scootaloo as Will from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air now :lol:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

hey guys, I've put together my humanized changeling cosplay.

black jeans and a black hoodie with holes cut in the legs and sleeves, with dark blue duct tape for the shell or armor or whatever it is
a black bandana with a changeling mouth painted on to use as a mask (my mom did an awesome paint job)

my sunglasses which are kind of the same color as changeling eyes

and a plastic knife painted black to represent the horn.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

http://www.ursamajorawards.org/

Nomination:
Best Dramatic Series or Short Work
My Little Brony: Friendship Is Tragic (Collegehumor.com, Contributing Staff: Director Amir Cohen, February 28)

Seriously.. really?
Have these people seen any other fan animations at all?
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Yeaaaaah. I don't know how the Ursa awards nominations work, but when i saw that, i questioned their nomination methods a little. It made me think they just ran with the idea because collegehumor was listed or something of that nature, which is somewhat popular in regards to videos these days.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

GameCobra wrote:Yeaaaaah. I don't know how the Ursa awards nominations work, but when i saw that, i questioned their nomination methods a little. It made me think they just ran with the idea because collegehumor was listed or something of that nature, which is somewhat popular in regards to videos these days.
nominations are done by fans and the things nominated most get on, I think.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So I'm really glad the comic series exists. It gives me a chance to get MLP between seasons without trudging through the fan dumb. ^^
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!