My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Sleet »

So... am I the only one who didn't like it? It was over-the-top shameless pandering from start to finish. It was one massive incoherent mess that only has any value if you love fandom in-jokes and references. It's like Double Rainboom with better production quality. D:

I mean, some of the references were amusing in their own right, but when you shove so much random pandering together, they kinda just blur together. I did really like Sweetie Belle's one line though. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

No, you are not the only one. It felt a tad forgetful, but I did like the doctor who scarf reference.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Killjoys. :P

Yes, it was double rainboom-ish, but I liked it because of how over the top it was. We don't normally get to see that to this degree, much less using background characters, not in the way they wanted them to be, but in the ways that the fandom has portrayed them to be. As a "once in the series" kind of thing, I loved it.

Now if this became a regular thing, yes, I'd grow tired of it rather quick. And I guess until the series ends, we can't really be sure it's a "once in the series" type thing, but I doubt they'll do it again.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm hoping they're like "Okay now that it's out of our system, no more shameless pandering. Also, let's never show that on TV again."
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

If they bring any of those characters back, I hope the voice actors come back to.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Autumn_Red_Panda wrote:If they bring any of those characters back, I hope the voice actors come back to.
all of them were regular VAs on the show, so there's no reason not to bring back the voices.

I'm with Jeff, and Sleet. It was a once in a show thing getting all of the fan pandering out,now they probably won't do it as shamelessly if at all in real episodes that have an effect on the show. Anyone who doesn't like it can just never watch it again, anyone who does should have gotten enough pandering to last a lifetime. or at least until episode 200 :P

I don't play favorites, but I did enjoy the episode, and knew that other people would hate it.

as for the changeling, I think either he's Cranky's friend from his adventures, or the changelings are starting to assimilate into pony society.

on another note, my brother and I noticed the frog face on the donkey muzzles the whole time.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Eh, not sure I'd compare it too closely to Double Rainboom. Over-the-top pandering was the least of that thing's problems.

*side eyes how annoying out of character the PPG were*
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey now. Double Rainboom was a great Dexter's Laboratory/evil Powerpuff Girls crossover.

Wait.
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

From what I hear it's like the opposite of Star Wars, the edited versions are better.
All your acorns are belong to us.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Edited version of what?
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Equestria Daily just posted an article about what had to be cut for time from episode 100.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/06/m ... f-fun.html

My favorites were that Sombra was supposed to return for a "Devil Went Down to Georgia" face off against Octavia and the last shot was the Changeling Army descending on the town.

Its too bad that these were probably not animated otherwise they would have made for some killer DVD extras!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well this episode has been a pain to sit through so far.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wish Spike was a more sympathetic character. He just screws up most of the time. :/ The comic book episode at least gave him a chance, so that was pretty cool.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I was told before I got to see it that it was exactly like every Spike episode.
and it was exactly that: Spike starts with good intentions, then goes too far and messes stuff up.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

Sleet wrote:Edited version of what?
Oh heck I'm late. There are edited versions of Double Rainboom on YT that are touted as being more...comprehensible through editing? Yeah.

The recent episode, 'Princess Spike' was super...meh, I'd thought Spike would've been better than that, having been literally surrounded and raised by morally upright ponies after all this time. The most complementary thing on first watch was all the many different designs being animated that made the episode at least aesthetically pleasing.
Last edited by Whozjama on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

What's really frustrating about the episode and its supposed moral is that it claim's Spike's selfishness was the problem, but all the decisions that came back to bite him were from when he was still totally focused on helping Twilight. Talk about missing the point.
Radio Blue Heart

I'm getting caught up on the comics and the latest "Friends Forever" comic with Twilight and Big McIntosh was pretty good. I guess being of so few words Big Mac must have a very rich inner life.

Here is a translation of a pony manga called "Trick Attack" with Trixie coming back for a third time before Twilight became a princess.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/06/t ... rixie.html

The only way to make ponies more sugary sweet is to see them in Japanese.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So I wasn't a big fan of the last episode either.

That's two in a row. I'm worried the show might be on a decline. D: But I'm ever the optimist. I am not giving up!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Things go up and down within shows. Sometimes they have poor episodes. Sometimes they even have poor seasons. Not everything can be as good as or better than everything that came before it. Much like planting crops, sometimes you just have to have a sucky year to give the dirt a chance to become replenished.

Truth be told, I liked both episodes. Do I think they were anything special? No. But they weren't garbage either. They were good fillers while waiting for the good ones that we know will come.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

They have released the trailer for Equestria Girls 3. It will premiere on television in September. Any thoughts on this? I am optimistic because I liked the last 2.
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Did 2 have a limited theater release like 1 did? I honestly don't know.

Anyway, I'm interested. I'd like to see what the girls' human(ish) counterparts (and Sunset) are up to. Plus, if the end of the second movie is anything to go by, we might finally get to see Twilight's counterpart and how she'll react to... well, everything. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I thought this episode was great! One of the best of the season for sure, loved the callbacks to the season opener and Canterlot wedding. We learned quite a bit about Twilights pays which is always a plus.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oooookay. Concerns alleviated. That was one of the best episodes the show has ever had.

One thing I think is really cool about it is how the event that set the whole episode off was there the whole time. We just kinda took it in stride because it happened like two minutes into the entire series and we were willing to take just about anything for granted because we had no expectations for the show at the time.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

JeffCvt wrote:They were good fillers while waiting for the good ones that we know will come.
I totally called it. :P

But yeah, that episode was great. It was cool to see them not only flesh out some of the background ponies, but actually take into account all of the times we've seen them in the background in Ponyville.

I don't think I'm the only one who hopes we'll see more of Twilight's old group of friends again at some point.

Oh, also this:
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

JeffCvt wrote:
JeffCvt wrote:They were good fillers while waiting for the good ones that we know will come.
I totally called it. :P

But yeah, that episode was great. It was cool to see them not only flesh out some of the background ponies, but actually take into account all of the times we've seen them in the background in Ponyville.

I don't think I'm the only one who hopes we'll see more of Twilight's old group of friends again at some point.

Oh, also this:
Sleet wrote:Oooookay. Concerns alleviated. That was one of the best episodes the show has ever had.

One thing I think is really cool about it is how the event that set the whole episode off was there the whole time. We just kinda took it in stride because it happened like two minutes into the entire series and we were willing to take just about anything for granted because we had no expectations for the show at the time.

They all can't winners. Some just shine brighter than others. Hopefully those friends will show up again. There might be some drama there because Twilight did not know true friendship before she came to Ponyville. Maybe they picked on her or they were to elitist for her.

That gif is killing me!
-Virgil
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

Are we still talking about Amending Fences? Great!
Sleet wrote:Oooookay. Concerns alleviated. That was one of the best episodes the show has ever had.

Yes! It almost felt like, how do they say it in that episode, 'jumping the shark'. But they make it work fabulously! It feels a bit off seeing how just Twilight herself causes the breakdown seeing as the others went to her party, but it makes sense if Twilight's her closest friend.

I actually legitimately cared for...Moonlight Dancer, yes, her. I might forget her name right after the episode ends but the empathy and sympathy I feel for her had put me in a place where I came for amusement and left with feels, well the idea that comes along with that phrase that doesn't sound as 'memeish' and so not as immature. I detect hint of the emotional stuff that Steven Universe often dumps on my lap.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This episode was a blast! I loved the whole thing, Rainbows first dream was great. I loved all the references they had in this episode there are way to many to name here.

Luna was great here loved the emotion she gave in this episode it was a really nice one for her.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I loved Magical Girl Princess Big Mac.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

I think I've seen the idea of Big Mac being an alicorn before, so I forgave myself for the fit of laughter when I first saw it in canon.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Aaaand the show is back in full stride. After last week's, this happens. What a great episode. It was a great look into Luna's personality, but also lots of little gags. I liked Pinkie's dream description randomly throwing in taking a test she didn't study for. I loved Rainbow Dash's greatest fears including jazz flute. I loved Fluttershy turning into a vampire at will in the dream, as well as Big McIntosh's Sailor Moon transformation scene. And Scootaloo with wings! :D
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So after being too busy last weekend with writing up Comic-Con news and then having my internet on the fritz for most of this week, I was finally able to watch the new episode.

I didn't like it at all. Like, blech.
Radio Blue Heart

I really like that episode. It was a great Luna centered episode with her still coming to terms with her guilt. Also the dreams were very entertaining. I think Lyra and Bon Bon have some codependency issues.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Total respect to anyone who does like it, of course, not gonna try telling what to like and not like. :P I just think it's ridiculous that Luna was still struggling with guilt after all this time, even though it never seemed that big an issue after Nightmare Night.

Also, all these episodes heavily involving Luna, and not a single one for Celestia?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Penwrite wrote:Also, all these episodes heavily involving Luna, and not a single one for Celestia?
I think the writers have said they want to do a Celestia episode, but can't figure out a good enough story for it (I may be remembering wrong). Luna's past and dream-walking abilities make her easier to write for.

also, It's believable to me that she'd just beat herself up for what she did without letting anyone else know she was still dealing with the guilt. heck we've only seen her interact with her subjects, she may have let Celestia know while putting up a brave face for the public.

you're entitled to your opinion of course, but I don't think it's ridiculous.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Whozjama wrote:I think I've seen the idea of Big Mac being an alicorn before, so I forgave myself for the fit of laughter when I first saw it in canon.
I've always connected the idea of Big Mac becoming an alicorn to the LunaMac ship. :P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You say that like inter-subspecies(?) relationships don't happen!
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Looks like we got ourselves a mini-hiatus. Episodes 14 - 26 to be coming "later in the year"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

there's some math that EqD did that suggests the rest of the season will start up again sometime in October.
particularly cause that list of leaked episode titles has a possible nightmare night episode and a definite hearth's warming episode, and late october would put those around their corresponding real world holidays.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets