My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

angelusbr

Re: My Little Pony

Post by angelusbr »

Don't worry Rainbow Dash. Spike is forever alone too
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I don't really get how a background pony can be assumed to have kids at all. Derpy is largely a blank slate that will never offically have anything else done with her.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Looks like Applejack is finally getting a song~

I am more than okay with this.
Foxstar wrote:I don't really get how a background pony can be assumed to have kids at all. Derpy is largely a blank slate that will never offically have anything else done with her.
Really? Their lack of any canon is precisely the reason that people make things up about her. That's the entire reason her character even exists. Without people making a backstory and basic personality for her, she would never have been more than "that one background pony who had derped eyes in the first episode".

Blank slates tend to be some of the most interesting characters in any sort of production, simply because they require one to utilize their imagination. And some people like to just let go and allow their minds to run loose for a while, and characters like Derpy are the perfect candidates for such a thing.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Foxstar wrote:I don't really get how a background pony can be assumed to have kids at all. Derpy is largely a blank slate that will never offically have anything else done with her.
That's why we give her kids and make her a silly, lovable klutz. Because she's a blank slate with nothing else to her. That's half of what makes this fandom so amazing.

Everyone, when I was a little kid, my big sister had a couple of old pony toys. We're talking G1 here, folks. And she didn't know the original names or personalities of those ponies, so she just made up her own and had them go through adventures she made up herself. That's how my sister played, that's how Lauren Faust played and what eventually led to Friendship is Magic, and that's how we bronies have played since episode one. Derpy Hooves, Sparkler, Carrot Top, Lyra, Bon Bon, Doctor Whooves; we're continuing a proud tradition of pony fans with them.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Penwrite wrote:
That's why we give her kids and make her a silly, lovable klutz. Because she's a blank slate with nothing else to her. That's half of what makes this fandom so amazing.

Everyone, when I was a little kid, my big sister had a couple of old pony toys. We're talking G1 here, folks. And she didn't know the original names or personalities of those ponies, so she just made up her own and had them go through adventures she made up herself. That's how my sister played, that's how Lauren Faust played and what eventually led to Friendship is Magic, and that's how we bronies have played since episode one. Derpy Hooves, Sparkler, Carrot Top, Lyra, Bon Bon, Doctor Whooves; we're continuing a proud tradition of pony fans with them.
Well said, Penwrite! Well said!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

well, there's no denying that Dinky and Derpy look similar.
I just wonder why the fandom automatically jumped to "Derpy is a young mother" instead of "Derpy has a younger sister"
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
well, there's no denying that Dinky and Derpy look similar.
I just wonder why the fandom automatically jumped to "Derpy is a young mother" instead of "Derpy has a younger sister"
Likely because its different since Applejack and Rarity are older sister already
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Random thought: I wonder if Rick's gotten any messages asking him to put their pony OCs in Housepets somehow.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:well, there's no denying that Dinky and Derpy look similar.
Key reason would likely be: variety. As Ice said, we've already got the big sis/little sis dynamic going in both Rarity and Applejack. In addition, the characters that we know the most (the main six) all appear to be of an age where they won't be worrying about having kids any time in the near future. So making Derpy a mother to Dinky, rather than an older sister, makes quite a bit of sense.

It's just more interesting that way! :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tha Housefox wrote:Random thought: I wonder if Rick's gotten any messages asking him to put their pony OCs in Housepets somehow.
I would not be surprised at all if that were the case.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You know speaking of little fandom things that are a little weird how often they come up here's another one. Luna always overhauls the Tax system in Equestria or otherwise runs the tax system in some fashion. Anytime someone does a Doctor Whooves Story his companion is either Derpy or Twilight I don't think ive ever seen it be anyone else.
Tha Housefox wrote:Random thought: I wonder if Rick's gotten any messages asking him to put their pony OCs in Housepets somehow.
I'm sure he has gotten them before.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:Anytime someone does a Doctor Whooves Story his companion is either Derpy or Twilight I don't think ive ever seen it be anyone else.
I have

but yeah, you're right. I guess Derpy and the Doctor are paired because they're probably the two most prominent background ponies, at least in the fandom's eyes. and Twilight makes a good companion because she's so smart. though they're both probably just because someone did it first, and a majority of the fandom liked it.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

IceKitsune wrote:
I'm sure he has gotten them before.
Especially likely considering Rick felt it necessary to include "No ponies" on the list of things he won't draw on his sign he had at MFF.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I remember the first Doctor Whoof story I ever read. It was the Doctor, Twilight, Spike, and Pinkie trying to stop a trio of Weeping Pegasi from destroying the universe. It was awesome. It also drove me to watch an episode of Doctor Who, so that's how I became a fan of that show! XD

Oh yeah, who else has pony to thank for becoming a fan of Doctor Who?

Anyway, the second Doctor Whoof fic I read had the whole gang be his companions. Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, all of them. It was awesome.

Man, it's been ages since I last read a Doctor Whoof fic... actually, it's been a while since I read any fan fic....
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:
Oh yeah, who else has pony to thank for becoming a fan of Doctor Who?
While it didn't make me a fan per-say it got me to watch the show again after stopping a few episodes into the 10th doctors tenure. However I actually ended up going back and watching the 4th doctor, which I still need to finish, instead of picking up where I left off.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Penwrite wrote:I remember the first Doctor Whoof story I ever read. It was the Doctor, Twilight, Spike, and Pinkie trying to stop a trio of Weeping Pegasi from destroying the universe.
Did you read that, or did you listen to the Doctor Whooves Adventures radio play, because that's the first two episodes of that.

I just realized:
Applejack's getting an episode this Saturday, one in which she finally shouldn't be overshadowed by other characters.
Friday's when the world's allegedly supposed to end. poor Applejack.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Penwrite wrote:I remember the first Doctor Whoof story I ever read. It was the Doctor, Twilight, Spike, and Pinkie trying to stop a trio of Weeping Pegasi from destroying the universe.
Did you read that, or did you listen to the Doctor Whooves Adventures radio play, because that's the first two episodes of that.

I just realized:
Applejack's getting an episode this Saturday, one in which she finally shouldn't be overshadowed by other characters.
Friday's when the world's allegedly supposed to end. poor Applejack.
It was a fan fiction first, which I read. Ooh, I'm suddenly in the mood to read it again.

Also yeah, poor AJ. XD
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

AJ will ahve 2 episodes this season. The next one and the 10th episode.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok I'm bored so random question time, who here has there own OC Ponies? I do hes a Pegasus Pony named Mint Condition he has a comic book for a cutie mark.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I don't, though I'm supposed to be coming up with one for a pony-based D&D style game I'm gonna be playing with some friends fairly soon. I've mostly got him pinned down, but I still need a name and some basic backstory.

And I'm terrible at thinking up pony names.
Radio Blue Heart

I don't think I ever put that much thought into it. I don't think I am creative enough. I am more of an observer.
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Well, it's not an OC in the fact I set out to create it, I just kind of did out of boredom one day. And I already posted it here before too, but no one said anything.

No name (I just save it as "Red Pony"), no real background other than he hates his cutie mark. Like I said, made it out of boredom.

Although I swear I cleaned that image up when I removed the orange from the hair (When I first posted it, it was about 50% orange).
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I have two OCs in the pony RP on this very forum.
character sheets found here and here
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/9497967/ The earth pony is Challenger01's OC named Dual Steel, he has two scuba tanks for a cutie mark. This picture was also my very first commission ever.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I have kind of a joke OC
I had no intentions other than to push Pony Creator to its limits of reasonableness, though.

oh also this thing that a guy drew for me which is literally Harry Truman's head on a pony
but I don't know if that really counts
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

It counts. your OC is an AU Harry S. Truman
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets

Post by 0404 »

CaptainPea wrote: Image
my eyes!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I love his cutie mark. *giggles*
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Clip of Next Episode for one part of this at the end all I can say is D'awwww Super Adorable Baby Applejack! I think I about died!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:Clip of Next Episode for one part of this at the end all I can say is D'awwww Super Adorable Baby Applejack! I think I about died!
Applejack get a new episode, gets outshone by Granny Smith. The trend continues.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I kinda wish Braeburn will show up next episode. But I know that people will scream "fan pandering" after that...
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

how is it fan pandering? he's part of the Apple family, this is an Apple family reunion. He's from Appleloosa, one of the clips stated the Apples from Appleloosa would be attending.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

angelusbr wrote:I kinda wish Braeburn will show up next episode. But I know that people will scream "fan pandering" after that...
Fan Pandering is a term that quickly lost all meaning since everyone uses it for everything and anything. Its basically a catch all term for "Something I personally don't like that is in some way, however small, connected to the fandom." at this point anyway.
Radio Blue Heart

angelusbr wrote:I kinda wish Braeburn will show up next episode. But I know that people will scream "fan pandering" after that...
Only the cynical ones. But the real fans would be glad to have a fan favorite character return.

I too would like to see Braeburn return.
-Virgil
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

As Brent said, it's already been stated that the Apples from Appleloosa will be attending the reunion. So unless there is some overwhelming reason that he needs to be kept away, Braeburn will be making another appearance.

And I'm all for that!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:how is it fan pandering? he's part of the Apple family, this is an Apple family reunion. He's from Appleloosa, one of the clips stated the Apples from Appleloosa would be attending.
I said that because some people made a tanturn out of the fact that Luna had an appearance in sleepless ponyville. Because, you know, Luna having a job that fits with her status of princess of the night is "fan pandering".
I didn't see the clip... Now that I know he'll show up I'm looking foward tomorrow even more!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Apparently, anything that fans coincidentally want to see happen counts as fan pandering, regardless of whether the fans influenced the creators in any way. And this is why terms such as Fandumb exist...

Anyway, if they're including flashbacks like we've seen, I'd be surprised if they don't at some point show AJ's parents.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Penwrite wrote:Apparently, anything that fans coincidentally want to see happen counts as fan pandering, regardless of whether the fans influenced the creators in any way. And this is why terms such as Fandumb exist...

Anyway, if they're including flashbacks like we've seen, I'd be surprised if they don't at some point show AJ's parents.
I really doubt Aj's parents will show up. I remember that the word of Faust said that they were dead, but the producers didn't like that explanation, so they simply decided to not mention them at all.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Yeah. They're not gonna mention AJ's parents. Because that would require they actually put some thought into how to present the issue of death to the audience; and that is something that they (rightfully) do not want to touch if they can at all help it.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

KJOokami wrote:Yeah. They're not gonna mention AJ's parents. Because that would require they actually put some thought into how to present the issue of death to the audience; and that is something that they (rightfully) do not want to touch if they can at all help it.
True. They're a bit affraid of dealing with death subject. For teen/adult bronies, this would be a great storyline. But for small children not so much. But again, Disney and Don Bluth killed a lot of characters onscreen and offscreen.