My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

IceKitsune

Re: My Little Pony

Post by IceKitsune »

Whelp it looks like we have the official start date for season 8! March 3 It's not 100% official but I would say it's extremely likely. This seasons is going to be pretty amazing from what I've seen. So get HYPE!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Season 8 Song Hasbro has started releasing teasers for Season 8! This song is pretty cute I liked it.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

huh. looks like the G5 rumors might be true, that looked like it was featuring a new multiracial main 6
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's been way too long! I'm hoping for a good season. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

And we now have an official start date for Season 8! March 24th A bit later than was originally thought but still not that far away. GET HYPE!

Edit: Also we have screenshots from Season 8 as well! Spoiler Screenshots Some pretty cool stuff shown in these! Seapony CMC! Love it!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Third Episode Title Confirmed This should be interesting especially with this fandom. :lol:
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Tomorrow Guys! Season 8 Starts Tomorrow!

Edit: Just watched the episode! That was really good for an opener especially the new characters. All of them were likable and really made me want to know more about them. I love how just right off the bat they came out swinging with explaining the movie lore and making it explicit canon. Along with giving us an update on what Tempest is doing which was really nice. Chancellor Neighsay was actually an interesting character it's obviously never explicitly stated that he is racist but they made it about as clear as they could in a kid's show without it being a "very special episode". The song was very catchy and I loved Ember telling everyone to stop singing at the end of the second one.

The one thing I didn't like/thought was a bit stupid was none of the leaders seem to be looking for the students before the Mane 6 came along and talk to them. That was the one misstep I think that the episodes made. It made them seem like they didn't care too much and it was a bit weird that they all wanted to go straight to war once they got in front of Celestia because of that. Except of course Thorax who was at least somewhat reasonable, I love how he is still super awkward and doesn't really seem to know what he is doing, it's cute. Overall I would give this one a 9/10 I think it managed everything really well nothing seemed too rushed and all the characters were well used and balanced.

As for the new students, I would rank them right now like this:
1. Silverstream
2. Gallus
3. Smolder
4. Yonda
5. Ocellus
6. Sandbar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was nervous, but I really liked it! I haven't been a fan of the direction the show has taken (not enough to keep me from enjoying it, mind you), but I think this is a step in the right direction. If they want to explore the world beyond just the ponies, I think some fairly constant characters who aren't ponies (other than Spike, who's basically a pony) is a great idea.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I loved it. I love the new characters. If they're what people mean when they say it's moving on to gen 5 I'm cool with it. also interesting is the shift to a main six with 2 males. speaking of, Gallus' puppydog eyes were great. but would they be called kittybird eyes or birdiecat eyes?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Honestly I haven't really been that excited by My Little Pony for the last year or so but this season has made me really excited again. ^_^
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

So...I watched the S8 premiere...and after it was all finished all I could think about was how Chanceller Neighsayer kept saying things like "Those creatures" and "their kind"...and I couldn't help but think it was an MLP version of racism.

RACISM, guys. Frickin' RACISM.

MLP. DID. FRICKING. RACISM.
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

I've heard some interesting stuff about the season 8 premiere. I need to get caught up again.
I break my computer, so you don't have to! :D
You copied my entire signature? How peculiar...
Given that AB≅AB, prove that AB≇AB.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok, the newest episode just finished and I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as the opener but still good. Mudbrier was interesting but I feel like we didn't get enough of him outside of his relationship with Maud to get a feel for him really. Pinkie was the clear star of this episode and she carried it well. I loved the scene back at the farm it was nice to see Limestone and Marble again and it gave Limestone some subtle development; a bit sad Marble didn't really do anything though. Pinkies opposite hallucinations of her friends were great especially Twilight that one got me good. The part in the beginning at the comedy club was nice just goes to show how blind Pinkie is when it comes to Maud sometimes.

I also loved the new intro! I almost thought they weren't going to use it and the leak had just been an idea that had been floated around the offices there. I'm glad they changed it though it really needed a major shake-up IMO. Overall I would give this episode 7/10 it needed more with Mudbrier outside of the relationship with Maud but overall it was pretty good.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wasn't a huge fan. I just don't really like Maud, her boyfriend is annoying and they never really show any redeeming qualities other than just telling us to trust he has them. And next to such dull characters, Pinkie Pie goes from perky to annoying.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I thought the newest episode was a blast. I was kind of worried that it was going to be rather boring at first when I saw what it was about but it turned out way better than I thought. Fluttershy was great in this one I loved all her personalities. All of the characters we met were fun and it was nice to see the return of some of the background ponies from before. Rarity going to everyone else before going to Fluttershy was funny. The raccoons were really cute and I loved how much they cared for Fluttershy and how Rarity had gotten so used to them she basically considers them employees. Overall I would give this one a 8/10 really good episode with a ton of fun jokes and cute moments.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not a fan of "one major character suddenly becomes a big jerk" episodes. But I did really enjoy Rarity firing Fluttershy three times.

EDIT: Oh fun, now a "Rainbow Dash is suddenly an idiot" episode. :P There were some fun scenes at least but these kinds of episodes get a little old, no pun intended!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well, that episode was cute. Not that amazing but cute. I liked how Lyra and Bonbon were clearly on a date throughout the whole episode that was a nice background thing. It was great to go back to Las Pegasus and learn a little more about it than we knew before. I actually enjoyed Granny Smith and the others more than I thought I would and Applejack popping up all the time as a disembodied head kept making me think about a fanfic I'm reading called Austraeoh. Overall though it was just a cute little episode with some laughs here and there nothing great but not terrible either. 6/10 just because it kept making think of Austraeoh.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

fun tidbit: I follow an MLP storyboarder on Tumblr and they storyboarded this episode.
after it aired, when asked:
anonymous wrote:Did you notice that one of the stage magicians bared an eerie resemblance to a certain great and powerful show-mare in Ponyville (possible father (or at least, relative of some sort))?
their response was:
lynxgriffin wrote:I was told exactly who that stage magician was, yes. ;)
take that to mean what you will. I know I have :3
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think some old non-canon book said that Trixie's father is a stage magician. It's probably her dad!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:I think some old non-canon book said that Trixie's father is a stage magician. It's probably her dad!
Yep and the Ultimate Guide Book that was released in the UK confirmed it. Conformation
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Applejack did not deserve that wink in the sun at the end, all it needed was for RD, Granny Smith and the gals to go to her and say "Applejack, we need to talk"...that's all it needed, then the episode would've been perfectly fine. Nothing spectacular, but nothing really flawed about it either.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok, that episode was great. The best one so far IMO. Terramar was great and it was very nice to see both seaquestria and Mount Eris again. Terramar's mom and dad were both entertaining I enjoyed how enthusiastic his dad was about everything. The song was very nice I think it will be one of the more memorable ones.This was a great way to basically handle the concept of divorce in the show (which come on that is exactly what this episode is about) it did it very very well. Twilight was just a huge dork the whole time which I always love everytime it happens. Overall I would give this one a 9/10 very well done and a great way to handle something pretty heavy in a kids show.

Edit: I liked this one, it was nice to see Celestia get some screen time again and while it wasn't much it did give us some backstory on her and Equestria. I like how in the end it showed off how effective of a leader she is and good she is at inspiring ponies. I think it went a little overboard showing how bad of an actress she is. Acting is hard but for someone who has been around so long, she shouldn't be that clueless about acting. It is something you can learn, acting classes exist for a reason. I really liked Twilight little talk she had with Celestia and the fact that Celestia was angry about the lying rather than the fact that blew up about her acting. Also, Applejack and Spike nearly steal the whole episode away they were great. Overall though I would give this one an 8/10 really good and I like it when Celestia gets the spotlight.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Oh man, this episode was great! Sunburst prancing in place and getting all excited was super adorable. Sire's Hollow was an interesting place and both the parents were both annoying but likable at the same time. By the end of the episode, I liked both of them. I liked the side shop character figuring out the issue and the way Sunburst and Glimmer played off each other was nice. I liked Glimmers room, she had some kind of Emo/Metal teenage phase. Also, I think this is the first time they have had any of the character outright state they are adults IIRC. Sunburst trying to run away after thinking they solved the friendship problem was cute and i liked how they addressed their parents in the end kind of how I think Parental Glidance should have ended. Overall 10/10 best of the season so far IMO.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Starlight Glimmer's room made me giggle. :P
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just watched Non-Compete Clause. It was ok. It felt very much like a season 1 or 2 episode. Honestly, the Student Six were the best part of the episode by far. Rainbow Dash and AJ were borderline out of character most of the time mostly towards the end honestly. If the student six had been right and they were actually trying to show them what not to do in order to teach them the episode would have been good but they weren't so it's the first truly bad episode of the season. 4/10 IMO mostly for the student six who were really fun to watch. Oh well every season has to have its bad ones.

Edit: This episode was great! I was expecting this one to just be kind of boring and average but it was way better than I expected. I feel that Discord and Spike were amazing in this episode and it was really nice to see Big Mac emote so much. While the basic plot was pretty standard RomCom/Sitcom fare. I think it did it pretty well and it's pretty good for someone's introduction to this kind of plot like it would be for a lot of kids watching this show. After watching and hearing a few people talk about this episode I think it is important to remember that point. Yeah, it's been done before but most of the target audience hasn't seen this kind of plot a million times most likely so it works nicely on that level. Honestly, that is how I judge a lot of things on this show and always have. It was cool to see the rest of the mail team and Derpy again. Along with yet another confirmation that Lyra and Bon Bon are a couple. Big Mac drownding himself in Cider was funny and I liked the CMC B plot it was really cute. Overall I would give this one an easy 8/10
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Finally, Spike gets Wings. The episode was great overall I just wish it had gone a bit more into Dragon stuff with Smolder honestly. But we did get some stuff and I always love it when the show uses Zecora. Rarity was pretty funny though the episode and even if it was brief we did get to see Pewee again which was nice. The moral was good and the fight against the Roc was well done. Overall I would give this one a 9/10 one of the best episodes so far and it expanded quite a few things.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

any bets on how long before someone forgets to draw Spike with wings for a frame? or however those animation errors happen?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'll give them a month.

I'm kinda glad Spike didn't get "older." The wings I can accept. It's a cute addition but he still looks like Spike. :3
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Man, am I behind on pony. Oof.

Just watched a few episodes of Season 8 the other day, but got stuck on episode 6 cause I couldn't find a good video for it, so I'll just comment on the ones I did see.

The openers were amazing. I adore the new cast of characters they seem to be setting up, and while I'm too out of the loop at this point to have heard any of the rumors of G5, I would absolutely support these six becoming the main cast in a hypothetical G5. And I have to chime in with what Blue Fox said about PONY RACISM. Or species-ism? But yeah, I was honestly kinda disappointed that at no point did any of the ponies call the antagonist guy out on this. He was literally saying "those creatures" with disgust like every other sentence he spoke, and no one ever outright rebuked his attitude. They just kinda danced around it and went with Twilight being upset about her school being shut down, rather than furious that he would openly disparage her friends and students based purely on their species. Just seemed... off?

But all that aside, the openers were great. :3

The Maud episode, I pretty much felt the same way as Sleet (other than my usually liking Maud episodes). The comedy scene at the start, while serving its purpose to highlight Pinkie's blind-spot with her sister, was just kinda awkward to watch. Usually her deadpan is used for actual humor, and it generally works (for me, at least), but this scene was just uncomfortable. Which creates this lopsided effect when you place her next to Pinkie. When the deadpan is funny, Pinkie's over-the-top laughter acts as a compliment to turn what is supposed to be a light chuckle into uncontrollable giggles. When you take away the baseline humor, the obnoxious reaction is undeserved and reads as just that: obnoxious.

Mudbriar was also insufferable. For starters, why are they introducing the concept of boyfriend/girlfriend with Maud and a character they clearly just created to look and act vaguely like Maud, but with sticks instead of rocks? Like, they paired her with a guy who has super straight hair with perfectly straight bangs, just like her. Who always has his eyes half-lidded and a blank expression on his face, just like her. And who has a strange fascination with a particular naturally-occurring inanimate object, of which he keeps one in his pocket as a pet, just like her. It's just weird, man. Like they couldn't figure out a way to give her a boyfriend who isn't a carbon copy of her niche character design.

And then after having him act like a pretentious, pedantic, aloof jerk the entire episode, they give a little wink in the closing minutes to say, "Oh, that's just a front. He's actually super kind and thoughtful. Don't judge a book by it's cover or something! ;) ;) ;) "

Now episode four was an... interesting case. I started off just thinking it was a little wonky, but mostly enjoyable, but as it played out I found myself terrified in the most hilarious way. The ending with Rarity individually "terminating" each of the three "roles" Fluttershy made for herself while running the shop, before Flutters simply coming back into view as herself--completely apologetic and begging forgiveness--made me have to pause the video for a minute or two just to process what I witnessed. The way she so seemlessly transitioned from multiple different types of jerkishness back into her usual apologetic self suddenly calls into question whether those "roles" she took on were actually roles, or if they were a more true representation of the thoughts and feelings she wants to express, but never has the guts to say. Like, that was some scary personality disorder type stuff going on. Lol. (obviously not the writers' intentions, but still) We know that she's gone on complete emotional rampages in the past, and she is certainly no stranger to making snide remarks at even her friends' expense from time to time. This episode just made me think. A lot. Haha.

As for episode five? It was alright. I really liked the opening bit with Rainbow showing off her impressive storytelling abilities; being able to come up with this huge spiel that she can recite verbatim over and over again for all of her friends, complete with an accompanying acrobatic routine. Even when she's telling a second-hand account of a roller coaster ride, she has all the charisma and gusto to make people believe she's been on the most incredible adventure. Just really fun to listen to her gushing about things that excite her. :) And I liked that the grannies all invited her into their group at the end. First reading books, and now joining a granny club. It's a good thing for her character, I think.

Other than that, though, it was pretty meh. Rainbow goes around ruining all of the grannies' fun because Applejack wrote her a list of things to keep them from doing that basically comes down to not letting them do anything. Which is fine, I guess. Bit stale, but fine. But then they go and confuse everything by ending the episode with a weird vision of Applejack in the sky winking at everyone. So, are we supposed to take away that Applejack secretly wrote the list and put such unnecessary importance on it to force Rainbow to ruin all of the grannies' fun, somehow knowing that this would lead to her apologizing for it and them forgiving her and making her a member of their club, thus ending with Rainbow learning a sorta-kinda-lesson-but-not-really-a-lesson lesson? I don't even know.

Also not really clear now how much the school actually impacts everyone's schedules. Dash is still a Wonderbolt, and Applejack still has farm work to do. So how often is this school actually in session?

Hopefully, I can find a decent stream of episode 6 so I can move on and get myself caught up. Apparently, Spike gets wings. Which is pretty awesome; can't wait to see that episode. And, uh, yeah. I'mma go to sleep now. Cause I spent way more time typing up this comment than I intended to and now it's 4 in the morning. Oops. :P
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well, this episode was interesting. If you know nothing about the spoilers for later in the season Cozy Glow just seems like a well-intentioned little kid who made a mistake but the second you know about the season finale synopsis everything she does seems far more sinister. It was nice that the CMC got honorary degrees at the end, and having them be tutors for the other students is a great idea. The Dead Poets Society reference with Spike was great I didn't expect that. I also loved Starlights talk with Cosy it was a great look into Starlight and how she works as a counselor, also that face was funny. Overall though I think this episode was decent I would give it a 7/10

Edit: Though I will admit that there are something things that you could pick up on, namely the whole calling Magic control thing and her face when she is studying with the CMC to learn the names of the elements of harmony. Which by the way I honestly think the studying part was the major weakness of the episode, it was just kind of boring outside of those few tidbits.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:If you know nothing about the spoilers for later in the season Cozy Glow just seems like a well-intentioned little kid who made a mistake but the second you know about the season finale synopsis everything she does seems far more sinister.[]
Edit:Though I will admit that there are something things that you could pick up on, namely the whole calling Magic control thing and her face when she is studying with the CMC to learn the names of the elements of harmony. Which by the way I honestly think the studying part was the major weakness of the episode, it was just kind of boring outside of those few tidbits.
I don't know much about later in the season, but I know the bit revealed at comicon, the name of the next episode (half season finale), and that those are probably the same episode. so yeah i definitely picked up on that control part, even made a comment to my brother while watching.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Man, aren't those, like, small children? Taking them away from school to learn friendship just seems like a terrible idea in general. Even if they did have things to learn.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just saw The Mean 6. I thought it was pretty good for Chrysalis' Return. The mean six themselves were pretty good Psycho Ranger style characters with Mean Twilight playing a good Starscream style lackey. I think the only major weakness of the episode is the fact that the Main 6 never figured out what was going on. You would have thought that Rarity would have noticed the difference in eye color and Cutie Mark color on Mean Applejack at some point. Other than that it was great overall, the ending with the tree killing the Mean 6 was pretty gruesome for this show IMO but cool. And it leaves them a way to bring them back if they wanted, the tree parts they were made of are still there. The mane six having their talk about what had happened was nice and a good way to wrap it all up. Overall a 8.5/10 for me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:the difference in eye color
I thought that at first too, apparently neither of us really pay attention cause AJ's eyes are actually always green. the cutiemark just made them pop.

I figured that someone at some point would notice the cutiemark differences, but my brother pointed out maybe they just don't look at them often, and didn't see the messed up cutie marks the whole time.

Chrysalis should have expected betrayal from Twilight. the real one is so devoted to Celestia her opposite had to have no loyalty to her closest approximation.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Just popping my head in to say that I think Starlight Glimmer is great.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Just popping my head in to say that I think Starlight Glimmer is great.
GlimGlam Man Bad :v
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've never been a big fan of hers! I think she's just kinda an "Oh crap we kinda wrote Twilight out of her own role" character.

As far as more new characters go, though, I like Gallus!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This is it everyone I know it been a while since I posted in this thread but I think its really important to post this here. Season 9 has just been confirmed to be the end of G4. It's been a great ride and I hope the last season is amazing. I look forward to seeing what they do with it and G5 once it comes out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's only fair. The show has kind of languished a bit, but it's never been bad. This gives us a chance to get a strong finish with the show never really "dying."

I'm going to be cautious about the next generation. I'll watch it, but I'm not expecting lightning to strike twice. Friendship is Magic being as good as it was was such a long shot. By all means it should have been bad. I don't think the next show will be any different. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, though!

What exactly do we know about the next generation, anyway?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

And here is the trailer for Season 9 Starts in April and looks really, really good IMO.
Sleet wrote:It's only fair. The show has kind of languished a bit, but it's never been bad. This gives us a chance to get a strong finish with the show never really "dying."

I'm going to be cautious about the next generation. I'll watch it, but I'm not expecting lightning to strike twice. Friendship is Magic being as good as it was was such a long shot. By all means it should have been bad. I don't think the next show will be any different. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, though!

What exactly do we know about the next generation, anyway?
Yeah the show never really got bad sure some things and seasons were worse than others but nothing was truly terrible or anything. I never understood the people who acted like the show became absolute unwatchable garbage after two or so seasons.

As for G5 we know very little there is a place called Neon City (IIRC) and that they will be reusing character names from G4; howeverTwilight is an Earth Pony, Pinkie Pie is a Pegasus, and Fluttershy is a Unicorn. Of course, all of this was pre-production concept art and what have you so some of it could be in the final product or all of it could have been radically altered by this point.