My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I'll need to check that out, it's got my favorite fan voice for Derpy.
You really should! Sometimes I wonder why the fans who make these don't work on the actual show!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok just saw EQG 2, and these are my thoughts right now. Its better then the first IMO, by quite a bit, there are issues here and there; one being that Pony Twilights inclusion was really really pointless and was just there because she is a main character in FIM. (and also to set up the obvious sequel/series that they will do;in fact as much as I liked it compared to the first that is all this movie is really, its basically feels like the pilot for the series much, much more then the first one did.) Speaking of a sequel/series that teaser at the end was great can't wait to see more of Human Twilight, who seems to be a scientist (not surprising really) of some kind. I really wouldn't be surprised if the series has her as a non-evil antagonist, maybe as a Scully like character for a while. They could also do a kind of annoying Mulder type, which would be cool.

This movie is really Sunset Shimmers story and it works very nicely in that way. She is far more developed here then in the first and is actually a very likeable character that I would want to see more of. The Dazzlings however are very one note (hahah) and kind of bland, they just aren't really interesting out side of their back story. The fandom nods were nice, Derpy playing the Saw was very cute, I liked Vinly's inclusion in this even if it was minor; also liked how they had her be immune to the Dazzlings songs. (her headphones lol) Octavia getting to talk was really cool and I liked Lyras and Bon Bons bit together.Over all this one is better then the first one and I would say to go out and see it if you can.
Radio Blue Heart

I got caught up on the latest comics and I have to say that in both stories that I read the writers did a marvelous job of taking characters that are usually unsympathetic and giving them some redeeming qualities.

The first example being the Flim-Flam Brothers in the "Friends Forever" story with Granny Smith. Flim looked so pitiful sitting by himself on the hillside. Granny did a good job of realizing that crushes come and go but family is forever.

And the regular series story with the pets was a quick read since they have no dialogue. Angel took charge without being a jerk and led the other pets to save the ponies from the Kelpie, who wasn't evil but was mind controlling the ponies for her own ends.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I made a Discord out of Perler beads last week:
I'd been wanting to make him since I started using perler beads 2 years ago, but I couldn't find a pattern for him. then a few weeks ago someone I watch on deviantart posted this and I finally could make one.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That's fantastic! Really cool!
Radio Blue Heart

Great work, Brent. ;)
-Virgil
Radio Blue Heart

I just read the latest comic annual. I liked it. If you have seen the cover previewed on Equestria Daily, then you know its a Power Ponies story. Its not the Mane Six like in the episode, but rather the characters from Spike's comic. They introduced a lot of villains other than Mane-iac that I think will definitely get fan followings. It was filled with all sorts of super hero references, especially to Batman and Teen Titans. The back-up story made me laugh with Mane-iac going through the Crystal Mirror and arriving in the human world, still in her pony form, and meeting her human counter part. Definitely check it out, it will bring a smile to your face.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think I missed last year's annual? I didn't even know that was a thing.

I just got the newest regular issue but maybe I'll check the store today and see if they have that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:I think I missed last year's annual? I didn't even know that was a thing.

I just got the newest regular issue but maybe I'll check the store today and see if they have that.
They sure are! Here is last years annual:

And this is this year's annual:

Last year's annual had a story about how Sunset Shimmer became evil and how she broke up the friendship of the equestria girls, and this years is about the Power Ponies. You should track them down and read them, Sleet. They are pretty good.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So apparently we have a proper MLP movie coming out in 2017 or so. About time I say :D Considering when this is likely to come out I would say that this is going to be the finale to G4. We are only going to get 6 or 7 seasons (with 2016 being season 6 and the movie in 2017 with or without a season in 2017) which I personally think is perfectly acceptable really.

I think that is kind of the shelf life of most TV shows anyway really, not to many don't jump the shark after 6 or 7 seasons.
Radio Blue Heart

IceKitsune wrote:So apparently we have a proper MLP movie coming out in 2017 or so. About time I say :D Considering when this is likely to come out I would say that this is going to be the finale to G4. We are only going to get 6 or 7 seasons (with 2016 being season 6 and the movie in 2017 with or without a season in 2017) which I personally think is perfectly acceptable really.

I think that is kind of the shelf life of most TV shows anyway really, not to many don't jump the shark after 6 or 7 seasons.

On the hand, another favorite show of mine, "Beavis and Butt-Head" got to season seven with a movie and then it got cancelled. But having a feature film isn't always the kiss of death for a show. After all South Park and The Simpsons have had successful movies and are still running strong years after their venture into feature films.

And yes, I know the content of those shows are vastly different than MLP, but they were the best examples that I could think of. Hopefully the interest in MLP will last for years to come and Hasbro will allow it to continue.
-Virgil
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

So... not sure if it is common knowledge but; while working at Walmart today. I did find out that there is a MLP chutes and ladders game now.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Hopefully the interest in MLP will last for years to come and Hasbro will allow it to continue.
As long as they feel they can continue to come up with original ideas that don't drag the entire show down and continue to make money, they'll continue the show. Unfortunately, I don't think that it's going to last for more than 6 or 7 seasons myself. I mean, how many season openers/finales can they have where Equestria has to be saved before it just gets boring?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm super excited about the movie. MLP should have had a real movie a year or so ago. But it seems like this one is swinging for the fences with an actual theatrical release rather than being a glorified TV special? That's awesome.

Also, I finally saw Rainbow Rocks. I was a bit disappointed. The sirens had some interesting music but I was waiting for the band to actually play real rock and they never did. XP Well, they do when Rainbow Dash actually has creative control. Which is naturally met with disdain from the band members. God forbid a guitarist play a solo longer than a 5th of a second, right?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I'm a little worried about the movie we're getting. The only major movie of note for the writer is Ice Age: Continental Drift, and that's in an uncredited role. Not sure why it's not being done by any of the show's writers.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

It's probably not being done by the show writers so they can focus on writing for the show. Meghan McCarthy is co-producer so I'm sure she can give him tips to make the script better if she feels it's sub-par.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:It's probably not being done by the show writers so they can focus on writing for the show. Meghan McCarthy is co-producer so I'm sure she can give him tips to make the script better if she feels it's sub-par.
Yeah they aren't writing it because they are likely working on scripts for season 6 right now.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm just worried it's getting a writer from some hack C-list animated movie. :P
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok looking this guy up he was likely just an editor/script doctor on Ice Age: Continental Drift since its uncredited and he is not listed in the Wiki page as a writer. He also did write several shorts and an independent Film called Dance of the Dead (which he also acted in) that critics loved giving it an 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, though audiences gave it a 51%.

Its not a lot to go on but really his lack of credits proves nothing, Nicole Perlman, who wrote Guardians of the Galaxy, was only a script doctor on Thor before she wrote that.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Welp, the trailer for the next Avengers movie is out. I eagerly await the ponified version, lol.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Welp, the trailer for the next Avengers movie is out. I eagerly await the ponified version, lol.
Yes, me too, very much so.

My copy of "Rainbow Rocks" arrived in the mail today. I am waiting until I can devote some time and watch it uninterrupted and then I will give a proper review of it. I am optimistic about it because I liked the first Equestria Girls movie.
-Virgil
Radio Blue Heart

Well, I watched "Rainbow Rocks" and I have to say... I like. I thought it was well written, it had some good jokes and I like the character development, especially the journey of Sunset Shimmer. I guess this film and the first Equestria Girls form the fall and rise of Sunset Shimmer. I liked how both Sunset and Twilight had to deal with the expectations the other characters had for them: Twilight with the pressure to figure out a way to stop the Sirens and Sunset trying to overcome her past indiscretions and redeem herself in the eyes of the other students who still view her with suspicion and contempt. The Sirens were good villains, using their corrupting magic or through other manipulation. Especially trying to get Sunset to go evil again or making Trixie jealous. I loved that they used a lot of background characters and gave them speaking bits.

The music was alright but I have kind of expected pop music for My Little Pony, even though it has already been said that they should not resemble KISS or David Bowie if they are not going to have a matching sound. Although Rainbow Dash's song "Awesome as I Want to Be" sounded kind of pop punk. Personally, and this is just my opinion, I thought that they should have gone for symphonic metal or electronic rock like Nightwish or The Birthday Massacre. I use those examples mostly because Nightwish's former lead singer Tarja Turunen sounds similar to Kazumi Edwards, the singing voice of Rarity.

Overall I liked it. And I liked the after credits sequence that could lead into a third film.

An interesting note is that my DVD that I got from Amazon is part of a batch that has a glitch. If you play it from the main menu it switches the chapters around. But, not if you play it from the scene select menu. I got really confused at how disjointed the film seemed until I realized this and went online. I hoped it was a mistake though I have seen something like this before. When "House By The Cemetery" came to the US, its distributors cut out all the gore and violence but then they decided to "fix" the film by rearranging scenes in the film. So suddenly someone was killed appeared alive and well later in the film.

Getting caught up on the comic I loved issue 24. I though they gave Discord a lot of good jokes and it was funny seeing poor Fluttershy out of sorts trying to keep him in line and protect the CMC as their scout troop leader. I also like it because it introduced Anubis and a race of anthropomorphic jackals into the comic's continuity. Even more so are some friends of mine in the furry fandom with jackal characters (myself included) and an intense love of My Little Pony. The best bit is that Discord calls out the fact that the story has more "Doctor Who" references than the average pony story.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Season 5 coming Spring of 2015 Looks like we got a couple more months to go.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just enough time for me to rewatch season 4! I've rewatched all the way up to the season 3 finale so far. :3
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I don't even check EQDaily in the off season.
Radio Blue Heart

I have only watched about the first 5 episodes of season 4 so I am way behind. Luckily they are coming out on DVD the 2nd of December. I guess we'll have to wait so long for season 5 because of the production time spent of Rainbow Rocks.

But luckily there are enough comics and fan efforts to keep us satisfied until then.

I just ordered some of the vinyl figures from Hot Topic, Luna and Celestia.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I mostly check EqD for the music. Which I still follow, 'cause why not?

I got roped into Dash Academy for some reason, at least. I'm not a fanfiction person, but I'm glad I did! It's so cute~
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I love Dash Academy. as well as a bunch of other fan comics like 99% of my deviantart watches are pony comics.
the other 1% is Rick Griffin :3
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

"Dash Academy" is a great comic. I would have posted a link to it but it does get a little too mature for the Housepets forum. I'm glad it updates as regularly as it does because "Horse Power" and "And That's How Equestria Was Made" are inactive.

Here is something else that every might find amusing, ponies in other languages, subtitled in English.

Japanese Twilight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hab8cfQt5lk

Japanese Pinkie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj3cGv9f5wM

Queen Chrysalis in English, Hungarian, Romanian, Polish, German, French, Italian, Turkish, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and Russian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf97Ygr5t0E

"This Day Aria" in Japanese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5qg-gLtFLA
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's actually a little frustrating when it crosses the line; there's no reason it can't be a mostly-rated-G comic. Like everything that happens that's important is pretty family-appropriate.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I wanna ask a purely hypothetical question. How would y'all feel if the show changed its format from a half-hour episode to two twelve-minute stories like many other cartoons? An interesting change of pace to revitalize a show starting to grow stale, or a pointless ruining of something still great?
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:It's actually a little frustrating when it crosses the line; there's no reason it can't be a mostly-rated-G comic. Like everything that happens that's important is pretty family-appropriate.
Well it is basically about high school and the drama that unfolds there some it hits close to home particularly the bullies questioning Dash's sexuality and how Pierce took advantage of Derpy. These are real things and I think the writer/artist handles them in a mature and intelligent way.

Penwrite wrote:I wanna ask a purely hypothetical question. How would y'all feel if the show changed its format from a half-hour episode to two twelve-minute stories like many other cartoons? An interesting change of pace to revitalize a show starting to grow stale, or a pointless ruining of something still great?
I think that I would hate that. I think the show is too short as it is and I am glad that they show them back to back. Especially the two-part episodes. If anything they should try to make them longer. But that is just my opinion.

Its been said before that the comics have pretty epic story lines and I think some made for TV or direct to DVD movies based on them would be great.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The part with Derpy was so needlessly dark. I could have done without that. >.>
Penwrite wrote:I wanna ask a purely hypothetical question. How would y'all feel if the show changed its format from a half-hour episode to two twelve-minute stories like many other cartoons? An interesting change of pace to revitalize a show starting to grow stale, or a pointless ruining of something still great?
I don't think it would make things better or worse. I think the show's format could be effective with either approach.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

taking a break from my homework to say you can get a bunch of the comics cheap in this weeks humble comics bundle

I just paid $15.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:taking a break from my homework to say you can get a bunch of the comics cheap in this weeks humble comics bundle

I just paid $15.
I'll get that (along with Housepets Book 5) once I get paid on Thursday. Its a really good deal, if I understand it right you get the Main Series #1-#23, the whole Micro Series (#1-#10), Friends Forever #1-#10, plus 2 comics which judging by the title seem to be comic remakes of some of the episodes. You would only be missing like 3 comics and the annuals IIRC. That is a lot of comics for just 15 dollars.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

IceKitsune wrote:You would only be missing like 3 comics and the annuals
they added the annuals.
you're missing a couple Friends Forever and I think 3 of the main series.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:You would only be missing like 3 comics and the annuals
they added the annuals.
you're missing a couple Friends Forever and I think 3 of the main series.
Nope with the inclusion of the annuals now you are only missing 2 of the main series (#24 and #25); and one of Friends Forever (#11). Soon to be two as #12 will be out next week IIRC.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I was counting FF12 and main series 26 since it'll release this month.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I was counting FF12 and main series 26 since it'll release this month.
Well yeah if you include those then you are right, your missing 5 comics in total
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've got all the main series, but unfortunately missed the first annual. :(