My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: My Little Pony

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

IceKitsune wrote:How did the Tirek timeline happen? There is almost no logical way for the timeline to get that far without the elements.
I figured that some of the events happened but were overshadowed.
my thoughts are this:
any timeline where Nightmare Moon is seemingly absent/Luna is there, maybe Sunset Shimmer was still Celestia's student and was able to get a weakened form of the elements. a form that discord was more able to overcome.

where discord is absent, maybe he was never accidentally released by anyone,so he';s still a statue. or he was beaten by Tirek in that timeline.

of course Chrysallis's absence could pretty much always be explained away as her having been beaten/not had the chance to execute her plan without the royal wedding.
Sombra's absence could be explained the same way, since he was pretty easy to beat.

Tirek's absence could just be cause something changed to keep him in Tartarus longer.

again, I have no idea where the Flim Flam timeline came from, unless all that was was them tearing up Sweet Apple Acres.

no matter what, these timelines are more believable than other alternate timeline stories, where the past is changed before any of the main characters are born but they still end up being born the same way. everything that's the same existed before the change.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I loved this episode. If anything, it was great having all the villains back again even if they only appeared in alternate timelines.

The only thing I didn't like was that Starlight was somehow more powerful than Twilight and her rationale for her forcing conformity on everyone was a little flimsy.

I think I would have liked it better if when Twilight said "Actually, I kind of have something else in mind." It should have cut to a shot of a guillotine blade falling.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

She had spent a ridiculous amount of time preparing. I think that's her main advantage, not being more powerful.

I also got the idea for a while that Starlight was going to become Twilight's student. It would have been pretty neat if it went that way.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Yeah she wasn't more powerful than Twilight, it was mostly the time travel prep she got that made her on equal footing to Twilight. I do however think that Unicorn Twilight Sparkle, Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer (ok typing/saying all those names at the same time is really funny) are about the same in terms of power over all. It's just the spell gave her the advantage she needed to match Alicorn Twilight.
Radio Blue Heart

This month's "Friends Forever" with Applejack and Fluttershy was a bit of a disappointment. Its familiar territory. A story about protecting a rare creature from other people that would seek to exploit it. I just wish they could have come up with a better creature.

I am looking forward to next month's issue. I real case of the immovable object meeting the irresistible force with Rarity being paired with Gilda.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

At least they referenced that it was basically a rehash. :P But yeah I'm looking forward to seeing Gilda!

The Christmas special comic was really cute though. I liked it a lot!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:At least they referenced that it was basically a rehash. :P But yeah I'm looking forward to seeing Gilda!

The Christmas special comic was really cute though. I liked it a lot!
I liked the Christmas special too. It was great having the framing device of Twilight and Spike reading books while stranded at the train station.

Plus Puddles.

The end of "Siege of the Crystal Empire" ended rather bitter sweet. I am not entirely satisfied with it but it was still pretty good. And even though most of the people at Equestria Daily moaned and griped about it, it is sort of canon since Princess Amore was established in the novels by Amy Keating Rogers. My only major gripe is it neglected to mention what happened to Chrysalis and her army, as well as the lesser villains after Sombra and the Umbrum took over the empire.

Mostly I like how much Hope loved Sombra and how much he actually loved her in return.

From a preview on ED, there is an even bigger clash of personalities coming in "Friends Forever" with Shining Armor paired with Prince Blueblood.
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So who else thought that the songs this season were, as a whole, the best of the show so far? While I have to say The Smile Song and This Day Aria are my individual favorites, this season just blew me away with the music.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not sure they're higher quality than the rest! Smile Song and You'll Play Your Part are my favorites, personally, but This Day Aria would be third for me.

Also, I got the Art of Equestria book for Christmas and it's really neat! It's got a lot of background on the art direction and the design of the world, and it's quite interesting. Plus lots of sketches and stuff.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet wrote:I'm not sure they're higher quality than the rest! Smile Song and You'll Play Your Part are my favorites, personally, but This Day Aria would be third for me.
Well, I wasn't trying say this season was a higher quality than average, there just seemed to be SO MANY high quality songs this season.

Oh, and it also seems we have very similar taste in our songs, because You'll Play Your Part would probably be my third choice if I had to choose. Yay for pony music!
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That song is particularly emotional to me, since it kind of speaks to me on a spiritual level. I tear up a bit when I hear it!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

personally, Magic Inside has cracked my top 3. the other two being Winter Wrap Up and Smile Song.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
yellowcrash10

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Post by yellowcrash10 »

If anyone wants a (major) blast from the past, here's a link to this video that was deleted from Youtube. I found it earlier in the thread, and wasted a bunch of time trying to find out what it was because I'm a huge dork. It even has the old Youtube layout!
The Internet Archive saves the day again!
I break my computer, so you don't have to! :D
You copied my entire signature? How peculiar...
Given that AB≅AB, prove that AB≇AB.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I just watched this video (and its followup) by Dr Wolf that puts forth a theory that turns the lore behind MLP into essentially a Doctor Who episode.
It's never gonna be canon, but it's an interesting idea.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Is there anything nerds won't turn into Doctor Who? :P
Radio Blue Heart

Not much, I would imagine.

The latest "Friends Forever" with Rarity and Gilda was good. Even though Gilda is reformed, she still has some things to learn as she does in this story. She gets to be on the outside looking in as Coach Klaus picks on Firegem. So, I guess she still has lots of potential to grow as a character. Also it had an amusing cameo by those annoying Yaks. The next issue is going to be Twilight and Dash, but I am really looking forward to Shining Armor and Prince Blueblood.

I admit that after the mini epic that was "Siege of the Crystal Empire" (though I was unsatisfied about how the changelings just "disappeared". A bad loose end) anything else would be following a tough act. This one is alright, with the CMC, Snips and Snails, and Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon lost in the woods while on a class hiking trip. The writers acknowledge that it takes place before the CMC got their marks. Also their abilities are still developing. After Sweetie Belle, Snips and Snails can't pull together enough magic to signal help, and Scootaloo's wings are still not strong enough to fly, DT and SS get called out on berating everyone for failing when they themselves have not or cannot do anything to help the situation. I found that quite satisfying.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok so Spring 2016 it is! :D This was a short wait compared to others that's for sure. Also the baby is here, her name is Flurry Heart (which is causing everyone to make Mc Flurry jokes already) and she is super adorable. Looks like its time for the Hype Train to start rolling already. :D EQD Announcement of the Spring 2016 release and some pretty big spoilers as well
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Woo woo! I'm excited. :3 There's a MLP-shaped hole in my heart right now! At least the comics are fun and keeping me somewhat satisfied.
Radio Blue Heart

I am dying to know when the season 5 dvd set comes out. I want to marathon the whole season again.

Equestria daily has put together a best of pony videos compilation for last year and it was a good mix. I'd post some here but the style of humor is not forum friendly.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Guys!!! PONY ACTION FIGURES!!!

I haven't played with action figures in years, but I need to get at least some of these. more affordable than the funko figures.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey that's really cool! Though the articulated joints aren't really that useful for me, so I'll just be happy with my action-less figurines. :3e
Radio Blue Heart

I'm actually kind of excited about these. Especially anything having to do with Queen Chrysalis. I hope they make on of Sombra too.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Season 6 Episode 1 and 2 Synopsis from Zap2it Along with a rumored release date of March 26th, however there is no confirmation on this yet. It does seem a bit weird that if the start of the season is that close they wouldn't advertise it.

Edit: March 26 release date confirmed! Well that was one heck of a short hiatus we had this time around. Hype Train is a go!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's just a few weeks! :O I'm so excited!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

IceKitsune wrote:Well that was one heck of a short hiatus we had this time around.
Don't forget the mid-season hiatus we had in season 5. It may not seem like a long time since the end of season 5, but if you compare it to the start of season 5, it probably looks more like the usual time between seasons I'm sure.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I thought that was a pretty good opener, especially one without a real villain. It was defiantly a more Subdued opening than the rest but it really worked here IMO. They really can't just keep ramping things up more and more, its been 6 seasons of it. I have a feeling that baring bringing back some older G1 Villains (like say Grogar) this is likely how this season finale will go as well. They are likely going to save the big ramp up for the Movie at this point.

I really liked Flurry Heart she was adorable as all heck and we also have a bit of a hint at how Ponies get their names, its likely they are named after something that happened to them or around them on the day of their birth. At least that seems likely to me. Sunburst was a very likeable dork character, I just wonder if Sunburst was a personal student of Celestias or if she considers everyone who attends her school her student. I guess he might be someone from before Sunset if its not the latter. Also I'm just waiting on all the people who will complain that Celestia and Luna were useless since they couldn't stop the storm that it takes the Crystal Heart to just keep a bay.

Overall I would give this one a 8/10 overall I think this one at first will be regarded as a weak opener but in time I think people will see that it couldn't really be super epic and show changing as it's been 6 years of the show and you can't just keep going up and up.
Radio Blue Heart

Sometimes I wonder about the sudden population increase among alicorns. It makes me think that Celestia and Luna are not as special as they once were. The storm and run-ins with some of the more recent villains and monsters has made them look weak too. I really hope that they are not phasing them out of the series. They are two of my favorite characters!
IceKitsune wrote: Also I'm just waiting on all the people who will complain that Celestia and Luna were useless since they couldn't stop the storm that it takes the Crystal Heart to just keep a bay.
I have fired the first shot there. Why are they being made to look so weak?

I just kind of "skimmed" this episode and I plan to watch it the whole way through at a later time. I don't like how they are shoe horning Starlight Glimmer into the group. I know the show is big on forgiveness and reforming its villains (except for King Sombra, who was summarily executed), but she just seems like a pale imitation of Sunset Shimmer or Trixie. I wonder what their plan is with setting up characters like Glimmer and Sunburst.

I think that this season would be ideal for Chrysalis to come back. With a baby in tow, Cadence and Shining Armor could be more vulnerable to her machinations. For that matter, I'd like to see Sombra come back like he did in the comics. It could be a "Maleficent" style interaction.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think it was alright! I had trouble getting behind the A plot (it seems kind of random), but I really liked the B plot! At any rate I'm really excited the show is back!

Also I'm not sure I agree with Flurry Heart being an alicorn; that just seems like a random plot point; why couldn't she have just been a unicorn? The plot would have worked exactly the same. Also, that name? Gag.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

it's another instance where the toy sales aspect of the show was more evident. It's why we got Cadance, Rainbow Power, probably even Princess Twilight. At least she's probably just gonna show up about as often as her parents, so I'm indifferent to her and her alicorniness.

and to address Celestia and Luna, I don't think they were made to look weak. There's a reason they were the ones fighting off the storm, and it's cause they were the only ones who stood a chance. and unlike when Chrysallis was defeated, it wasn't another character who was able to do what they couldn't (in fact even with Chrysallis it was two characters together). It was a powerful artifact that had been fighting off the storm for like a thousand years and was full of power from an entire empire. For the most part the princesses just seem busy to me. they send others to deal with threats because they have ponies who can, while they need to stay behind and handle things only they can do.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Heck, they even emphasized that Rainbow Dash doesn't stand a chance.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I liked this episode a lot, it had so many cute moments and it was nice to see Rarity and Pinkie Pie team up. That's not one they have done often (if at all I think). Maud was great as usual, especially at the end, and I enjoyed Rarity trying to keep Maud busy. While we have seen it quite a few times before I did like them going back to Manehatten and the fact that they established more events where we can see the Pie Sisters which I'm sure they did just in case a writer gets an idea for the use of the other two sisters.

I like that they also incorporated Rarity finding another place to set up shop into this episode, I think this is actually might lead to something down the line either this season or in season 7. Though I thought it could have used them going to a few more places for her. I also loved some of the designs of some of the background ponies in this one they were really nice to look at. This one seems to me to be a bit of set up for other things in this season perhaps, but I could be overthinking it.

Edit: Also I was totally expecting that cop pony to arrest Pinkie there for a second.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Not a bad episode! I'll admit I don't like Maud as much as a lot of other fans do, though.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This episode was adorable, I really liked the song in this one a lot. I know a lot of people saw and wanted an episode basically like this (my self included) I think it really held up to what I thought it would be quite well. I liked that it was Applebloom going though this all and not one of the others though, it feels more right for it to be her. Tender Taps was cute as heck and I loved at the end where he is showing the two passing ponies his cutie mark and the looks on their faces.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I liked this episode a lot too. It showed just how much the CMC have grown and why they had to give them their cutiemarks last season. There was just no more room for growth between them as friends or characters without it finally happening, and I hope this episode isn't the only one we have focused on them (as a group and/or individually) this season.

Though I personally feel that song was a little weak for the first on of the season. It wasn't a bad one, but it just screamed to have Sweetie Belle and Scoots singing in it too.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

JeffCvt wrote:It wasn't a bad one, but it just screamed to have Sweetie Belle and Scoots singing in it too.
I don't know, it felt good as a solo to me. If the others joined in it would either a) cheapen the message a bit by saying "Bloom isn't the only one feeling this way and they'll all realize that and go back to the way things were" or b) make it not as sad by showing the others being happy and singing about liking what they're doing. (It could have been a bit stronger if it showed the others having fun, but they didn't need to be in the song).
this way it stresses her isolation in feeling this way. a song about feeling alone should be a solo in my opinion. I agree it maybe could have been stronger. I felt sad during it but just barely.

also I loved the artist ponies. Picasso, Dali, and Warhol. and I think Leonardo DaPonyville was in the back.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Fans have been wondering what would happen to the CMC now that they have their cutie marks. I think this episode adresses that quite well.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I don't know, it felt good as a solo to me.
I agree that in the context of the episode, a solo was best to show the isolation that she felt. But the song itself... I can't shake the feeling it was supposed to have the other two singing in it when it was written. It felt like it was missing a climax that would have fit very well with three individual parts that all come together at the same time for a line or two.

I have the strangest feeling this episode was first planned to have all three of the crusaders feeling like Applebloom, and the song was written to reflect that, but was changed too late to make a new song, so they kinda just pulled Applebloom's parts and made it a solo.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It seems weird to give Applebloom a song in the same episode where she's reestablished to be a dreadful singer. :P
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Not to mention that episode when she actually started to sing a song but was cut off when they said there was no time for a song. She was horrible when that happened. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

they probably operate on (what I presume to be) Musical rules: within the context of the show they are not actually singing. some things are, like when they're performing. and Pinkie's songs are all real. and probably discord's song. but things like Winter Wrap-Up and The Ballad of the Crystal Empire are just presented to us as songs.

or it could just be that Bloom and Scoots can't read music for carp
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets