My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Foxstar »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:You really should! Sometimes I wonder why the fans who make these don't work on the actual show!
Um, there's a large, massive pool of voice actors who have proven their chops and built themselves up by working on hundreds if not more shows, movies and cartoons? I really don't think people realize the work that goes into voice actors when they question why XXX person isn't working on such and such show.

Twlight's voice actress has been doing it for years and years and years. Fan voice actors can be alright, but there's a rather large divide between fan voice actors and the pros.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Foxstar wrote:Fan voice actors can be alright, but there's a rather large divide between fan voice actors and the pros.
This 100%.

As much I hate to say it, it's true. There's a reason it's called voice acting. Just like when you act on a stage or in a movie, to do it well you have to be able to become the character that you're portraying. To capture their emotion and have reason behind why you do what you do. I mean, there are people who go to school for years to learn how to act, so why would voice acting be different? In fact, I would imagine voice acting would be tougher because you have to convey those emotions with only your voice.

Now, I will admit that there are some fan voices that are good. But are 99% of them show good? No. They don't have good timing, or are too fast or slow with the actual speaking, or can't read the character for how the character should be. (Usually a combo of the first two from what I see)

Now I'm not saying they can't become show good, but they don't have the natural feel for it that requires either YEARS of practice (with good constructive criticism so they actually get better), or just a natural talent for it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Foxstar wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:You really should! Sometimes I wonder why the fans who make these don't work on the actual show!
Um, there's a large, massive pool of voice actors who have proven their chops and built themselves up by working on hundreds if not more shows, movies and cartoons? I really don't think people realize the work that goes into voice actors when they question why XXX person isn't working on such and such show.

Twlight's voice actress has been doing it for years and years and years. Fan voice actors can be alright, but there's a rather large divide between fan voice actors and the pros.
UM, I wasn't only referring to voice acting, but to all aspects of production including writing, animation and directing. These people have proved themselves worthy of working on the actual show. And not just animation fan efforts. Music, art, comics, fiction, etc. There is a whole world of it out there and it is worth discussing.

Honestly, I'm not stupid. I know that acting is a very competitive field and only the best will do. But that doesn't mean we should sell short people like Silly Filly Studios.
Sleet wrote:I've got all the main series, but unfortunately missed the first annual. :(
Don't worry, Sleet. You can still get in from "My Comic Shop".
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Honestly, I'm not stupid. I know that acting is a very competitive field and only the best will do. But that doesn't mean we should sell short people like Silly Filly Studios.
For the record, Mandopony has done a little music for the show(which was cut) and worked with Daniel Ingram and Steffan Andrews on an episode of Littlest Pet Shop. So some of the fans get to help out.
but aside from a select few individuals, the fans aren't good enough to make the show staff go out of their way to hire them. If they want to work on the show, they need to go to them and apply for a position. It takes luck to go from doing stuff on the internet to having people specifically request you. Even big name voice actors need to audition to get the part unless they know someone one staff (which, by the way, Mandopony does.)
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Giant Twilight Sparkle invades Santiago.
All defenses prove useless.

The best pony videos of November have been assembled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X321BtE ... Hz7NVILWTw

Personally, I liked "A Day in Ponyville" the best.
-Virgil
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Season 5 set to arrive sometime during Spring 2015. Apparently a lot of effort being put into this season. Let's hope it translates into some decent episodes.
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

I used to follow EQD's blog posts everyday even when episodes weren't being shown, but I guess I've ended up with a casual appreciation for the show. I still follow the music though, a lot of beautiful stuff came out of the Brony fandom. Maybe when season 5 starts I'll get more excited; I remember seasons 2 and 4 being pretty good, at least to me.
All your acorns are belong to us.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There's a pretty significant rift between the quality of fan works and the actual thing. We tend to set our standards low for fan works because that enables us to enjoy them, but it takes a bit more to fit the real show. And even some of the best fan artists/musicians/voice actors may be good enough, they may be good in the wrong ways.

That float is adorable.

And the new Friends Forever comic was freaking weird. Did anyone else think so?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I didn't think it was that weird, it was pretty nice seeing Pinkie and Twilight interact. I don't think they have had a significant interaction since Feeling Pinkie Keen. Which was all the way back in season 1 so I liked it quite a bit. I'm curious what did you find weird about it?
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Thanks to that Humble Bundle, I'm now officially hooked on the comics. While I don't feel like (nor can I afford) spending $4 on a comic, I can wait till they go down to $2. It seems they do that when the next one comes out. (Digital versions of course.)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

JeffCvt wrote:Thanks to that Humble Bundle, I'm now officially hooked on the comics. While I don't feel like (nor can I afford) spending $4 on a comic, I can wait till they go down to $2. It seems they do that when the next one comes out. (Digital versions of course.)
You'll find that they are great for getting you through the dry spells between seasons.

Speaking of which, my Season 4 DVD finally came in the mail and I marathoned the whole thing over the weekend. I really wished that I had tried to keep up with it because it was a really good season and man, what an ending! Twilight's battle against Tirek was incredible! I also love how they took every opportunity to show some love for Derpy.

One of the special features was the MLP panel at Comic-Con. During the Q&A a fan asked if there was going to be any cross pollination between the IDW comic series and the show and Meghan McCarthy and the panel said there was a possibility. That was enough to give me hope. I would be great if some of the characters and creatures from the comic appeared in the show. Or, if some of the story lines from the comics could be adapted into animation.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's how I got into the comics. Official canon content year-round! :D
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I really hope that there is a direct reference to the comics in Season 5, one because I really like the comics and two just to see all the people who hate the comics flip out and try to scream "but they aren't canon!" The thing is I've seen a lot of people who hate the comics so much that if there was any reference that made them explicitly canon in the show they would stop watching it completely.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Some people just take their cartoon ponies way too seriously. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The comics are canon. They just yield to show canon if there's ever a conflict.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:The comics are canon. They just yield to show canon if there's ever a conflict.
Yep! They are what is known as B canon, which is used majorly in the Star Trek, Doctor Who and formerly in the Star Wars fandom (pre buy out) to refer to their respective Expanded Universes (a.k.a. The Books, Comics, TV shows (for Wars anyway) ect.) Other fandoms some times use this as well; but its much less common as they usually don't have a lot of other material other then the main source for the canon or it is explicitly stated to be an Alternate Universe.

There can also be other levels of canon as well IIRC Star Wars had at least 5 levels of canon or something to that effect before the buy out.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

IceKitsune wrote:I really hope that there is a direct reference to the comics in Season 5, one because I really like the comics and two just to see all the people who hate the comics flip out and try to scream "but they aren't canon!" The thing is I've seen a lot of people who hate the comics so much that if there was any reference that made them explicitly canon in the show they would stop watching it completely.
I don't read the comics, but the idea of flipping out over them baffles me. Unless these are people who feel that they are missing stuff.
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

can't remember if I mentioned this before I abandoned this place (I think it came up once or twice), but I am now a brony myself XP *shot* Have really gotten involved in the fandom too.

Been making a lot of fan music and fan art under the name FritzyBeat, as well as helping out with radio shows, two websites called Canterlot Hill and The Brony Musician Directory, and a game called Legends of Equestria (if you haven't heard of it yet, then check it out, it's coming along EPICLY >:U). But BEST of all, I've made a ton of GREAT friends X3

I've been a brony for just over a year now, but I'm still having an absolute blast, and look forward to finally being able to chat with you guys about the show X3

So...
how about dat season 5 footage in the new Rainbow Dash and Rarity teasers eh? ;D
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Jack

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Post by Jack »

Jack wrote:omg! the story of my life.

i start watching or doing something that i think would be embarrassing and BAM somehow it is thrown in to my face. this time, "my little pony: friendship is magic".

i am in awe.
its been about four or five years since this post here. it wasn't my first on the forum, but somehow i managed to remember this post being in this particular thread, on page 24. dunno how.
i'm surprised so many threads that were alive when i was active are still active today. funky.

anyway, feel free to pay no heed to this post, as it is nothing more then the outcome of nostalgia after randomly dropping in to the forums here and looking around.

just to keep it relevant to the topic: ponies are cool. season 1-2 was all sorts of amazing. season 3-4 have some good episodes, but mostly not so good ones. i am disappoint.
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I thought season 4 was a lot better than season 3. It started strong and ended strong, and the middle of the season didn't drag on like a few season 3 episodes did.

Also, I'm super excited for season 5, Fritzy. I've been watching all the teasers. :3
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

FritzyBeat wrote:can't remember if I mentioned this before I abandoned this place (I think it came up once or twice), but I am now a brony myself XP *shot* Have really gotten involved in the fandom too.

Been making a lot of fan music and fan art under the name FritzyBeat, as well as helping out with radio shows, two websites called Canterlot Hill and The Brony Musician Directory, and a game called Legends of Equestria (if you haven't heard of it yet, then check it out, it's coming along EPICLY >:U). But BEST of all, I've made a ton of GREAT friends X3

I've been a brony for just over a year now, but I'm still having an absolute blast, and look forward to finally being able to chat with you guys about the show X3

So...
how about dat season 5 footage in the new Rainbow Dash and Rarity teasers eh? ;D
Well I be damned...I checked and found you in my ipod! I found 'Heceta' probably from one of the music spotlights on Eqd. I like that song. :)
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Sleet wrote:I thought season 4 was a lot better than season 3. It started strong and ended strong, and the middle of the season didn't drag on like a few season 3 episodes did.

Also, I'm super excited for season 5, Fritzy. I've been watching all the teasers. :3
by the way, when is that season going to start?
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sleet wrote:I thought season 4 was a lot better than season 3. It started strong and ended strong, and the middle of the season didn't drag on like a few season 3 episodes did.

I think, for me, the ending of season 4 was what really made me disappointed. Instead of focusing on the magic of friendship and conveying the message that served as the foundation of the show, it went with a Dragonball type ending that really didn't have much to do with lesson learning. It felt cheap, as if the writers were just using some flashy awesomeness to make the ending feel special, when in reality, it completely missed the point of the show. It felt more like fan pandering really, which I don't mind, but when you subtract from the main goal of the show to appease the "unexpected fan base", you end up losing your way.
Sorry for the sour rant, its just my far too critical opinion. :p

TLDR: I didn't like the season 4 ending. I'm a whiny popsicle.
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

So have I X3 as well as the animatic and... well pretty much everything *shot*
Piecing together the S5 footage in the RD and Rarity trailers and the stuff revealed in the animatic has been the most fun for me so far, it really looks like they'll be tackling some cool subject matter this season =D
Whozjama wrote:
FritzyBeat wrote:can't remember if I mentioned this before I abandoned this place (I think it came up once or twice), but I am now a brony myself XP *shot* Have really gotten involved in the fandom too.

So...
Well I be damned...I checked and found you in my ipod! I found 'Heceta' probably from one of the music spotlights on Eqd. I like that song. :)
Woah really? I'm flattered X3 It always makes me really happy to hear that someone is enjoying my music X3 That song especially, since Heceta is about Derpy and Dr. Whooves, and those two are just the cutest duo together XD

And yeah, Seth totally spoils me with those EQD posts, I'll have to get him thank him for that again X3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think the season 4 finale was great as an isolated episode. MLP is a show with diverse fans that covers a wide variety of plots, from perilous adventures to tea parties. I think it's okay to have a super-violent (by MLP standards) epic action episode for special occasions. It's not a shift in the show's tone, it's just a one-off. And a season finale is the best possible place for that kinda thing!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sleet wrote:I think the season 4 finale was great as an isolated episode. MLP is a show with diverse fans that covers a wide variety of plots, from perilous adventures to tea parties. I think it's okay to have a super-violent (by MLP standards) epic action episode for special occasions. It's not a shift in the show's tone, it's just a one-off. And a season finale is the best possible place for that kinda thing!
I would counter that argument by saying that there is plenty of room for one-offs in the ordinary episodes of the show, and if they wanted to make an episode of that nature, they should have made it anywhere else in the season. To me, the finale always needs to adhere to the shows primary concept, as it is the culmination of what we have learned so far.
But I see your point and understand it, and at this point it is a matter of personal opinion, and there is no arguing that can be done on such matters. :mrgreen:

I feel that at this point it is necessary to reinstate that in addition to the finale, I felt that the show incurred a step down in quality, with episodes that seem to rush to the ending, uncharacteristic behaviors and a feeling as though some of the best parts of the show (such as songs, one-liners and so on) are being forced instead of exercised as needed.

In a personal and uncritical side note: Season one finale is best finale. Rarity is best pon.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I do think the attempts to have an overarching plot that goes longer than 22 minutes have kinda fallen flat. They try too hard. I'm totally cool with MLP being a plotless show.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sleet wrote:I do think the attempts to have an overarching plot that goes longer than 22 minutes have kinda fallen flat. They try too hard. I'm totally cool with MLP being a plotless show.
I too am fine with a plotless mlp, hasty, on the other hand, not so much. That would conclude my critic of the show though. Still love it, and I await the next season, maybe it will be even better. :3

Did anyone like equestria girls? Cos, for me, that was an absolute train-wreck.
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

I would really like MLP to retain an arcing plot and subplots, I've never been very attached to any of the shows that try to isolate every episode with only a few constants like the main cast. I've always been either disappointed or burned out by those shows. But it's only my opinion.

I like to believe the show has changed a lot from season to season because it was like TLOK as they were only slated for a single season until the massive support rolled in and thing became different.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So I finally got around to renting Rainbow Rocks through Google Play, and I have to say that I'm rather disappointed. For a movie with a plot centered around music, the music was... lacking. I think the problem was they were trying to push all of the songs to be different from the last movie and they just kinda fell flat. The Dazzlings had good music, and everything else wasn't bad, but nothing stood out to me.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

Is the human thing any good at all? I'll suspend my belief on talking pastel ponies given another universe with its own canon but start dimension hopping and the canon gets iffy right quick, along with poorly done deus ex machina. I know they make the show to sell toys, but when you have to radically alter the universe to fit a new toy line, well that turns me off.
If I watched MLP, is there anything that would draw me into the human movies aside from the ponies?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not a fan. The Equestria Girls movies have their good parts but there's a lot of dreck that just fails to appeal to the 24-year-old in me.
Jack

Post by Jack »

i watched the first Equestria Mares and didn't like it one bit. it had a poor and underwhelming plot, bad dialogue, uncharacteristic behavior for the sake of drama and very childish plot development tools.

i did not bother watching he second movie.
Radio Blue Heart

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I actually like "Equestria Girls". I know that the setting does not lend itself to epic stories like "Twilight's Kingdom" but I like it for what it is. It helps me get through the lulls between seasons and I like Sunset Shimmer.

On that subject, I just read the "Holiday Special" comic. It borrows heavily from "Ponyville Confidential" and has Sunset once again doing her best to be good even though everyone is suspicious of her.
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I haven't read that comic yet, but I will second that I like Equestria Girls. If they music had been... well, better for the second movie, I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. And I enjoyed the first movie a lot. It was a little rushed in some parts, but still good if you didn't go into it looking for things to complain about like most people probably did.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

I forgot to mention that I also read the latest "Friends Forever". It was fun seeing Twilight trying to teach self control to Pinkie. It also confirms that she does have super metabolism.

The wild west story in the regular series doesn't really do anything for me. Its like the book worm storyline was for me, not bad but none too special.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think that might not be the latest. Isn't the newest one Rarity and Babs?

Which was cute, by the way. It's nice seeing characters without much in common learn to bond. :3
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:I think that might not be the latest. Isn't the newest one Rarity and Babs?

Which was cute, by the way. It's nice seeing characters without much in common learn to bond. :3
Yeah that is the newest one. It was pretty nice, and the combination of characters was very unexpected. I'm actually really really liking Babs Seed in the comics. I hope they use her more, maybe if Season 5 shows her branch of the CMC officially they can do a series on that.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That could be a cute one-off. An episode centering on Babs and her finding new fillies in Manehattan to join the CMC.
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Jack wrote:
Sleet wrote:I do think the attempts to have an overarching plot that goes longer than 22 minutes have kinda fallen flat. They try too hard. I'm totally cool with MLP being a plotless show.
I too am fine with a plotless mlp.
For me, it seems like a lot of shows tend to stick to their formula. they are always either plot based, or episode one-off based, or some other TV formula. What I enjoy about MLP is that it takes all of that and puts it into a one-off show. it can have a one-off story, an overarching plot, big epic two parters, small everyday life lessons, fashion shows, & dragon ball z fights, and never does it feel out of place.

In addition to that, what having these overarching plots does is it establishes continuity. One thing that always got on my nerves (especially coming from the sonic fandom) was a complete disregard for continuity. When a character goes through an impactful experience that changes their life, I don't like to go into the next episode knowing that it will never be mentioned again, we just start back at base 0, and the character really experiences no growth. I want to see actual growth in that character, like it really did effect them just as much as the episode implies it did. MLP has a WONDERFUL level of attention to continuity, and isn't afraid to change up the status quo even if it means effecting every single episode here-after (EX: Alicorn Twilight, The Library getting blown up, Twilight learning to not overreact, etc...). Even little things, like referring to past episodes in casual conversation, or subtly showing that something in a previous episode DID teach a character a lesson that they carry with them into the future, that's just so awesome to me, and MLP does a wonderful job of it.

So to me, I'd hate to see the show just become a one-off series, it would just undermine the relateability these characters have. So I am more then happy to see the show continue with such continuity based overarching plots~