My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Sleet »

Noooo I can't wait that long! D:
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

You will just have to tough it out. But there are still the comics and fan creation to tie you over.

Has anyone seen the last "Friends Forever" with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy? I really liked the reference to "Carrie" when Fluttershy was imagining the worst case scenarios when she was convinced that her former classmates were going to pull a prank on her. It was great with its message that we can change as we mature.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've never enjoyed fan works too much, to be honest. I used to listen to the fan music when the show was new but that's kind of lost its luster and became bland. I stick with the official stuff, like the comics. But of course the show itself if the best!

What's Carrie? And yeah, I liked that message too. I think it's a message a lot of kids really need, and also some adult fans could probably use it to help seek closure for their childhoods.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet wrote:What's Carrie?
... Like, the famous book by Stephen King that also had a movie that was recently re-made?

If you want to know more, you'll have to look it up yourself because the whole book/movie is kinda beyond forum ratings.

While I haven't read the comic, I'm 99% sure I know what they're referencing based on what RBH said. Actually, if you really don't know Sleet, you'll probably want to at least read a wiki on it because that particular scene gets referenced in a lot of things.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:Noooo I can't wait that long! D:
good news. apparently it'll be back September 12th
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeeeeees. I can't wait!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Wow, a lot of stuff's coming back in September. This, Doctor Who, and Steven Universe. TV is gonna be awesome!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just read the newest comic. I loved it! Also, yikes. I understand they were technically fruit, but I can't say I'd ever have expected the main characters to kill and partially consume sapient beings. That's dark.
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:Just read the newest comic. I loved it! Also, yikes. I understand they were technically fruit, but I can't say I'd ever have expected the main characters to kill and partially consume sapient beings. That's dark.
That's what I loved about it! Besides, they were oppressive, imperialistic apples.

I just loved having Flutterbat back. I like how they strapped her Hannibal Lecter style to a handtruck and put a safety mask on her! It was also a thrill to see the other mane six members as vampire ponies. I kind of wish they would do a one-shot or miniseries about Flutterbat.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Flutterbat is something that needs to be used sparingly. I'm really okay with it being a special treat.

Also, death is still not something they do here. Plus, they turned good in the end so all those dead apples never got the chance!
Radio Blue Heart

Sleet wrote:Flutterbat is something that needs to be used sparingly. I'm really okay with it being a special treat.

Also, death is still not something they do here. Plus, they turned good in the end so all those dead apples never got the chance!
Yeah, I suppose that Flutterbat could get played out. I hope they at least bring her back for Halloween every year.

But they are apples after all. Good or bad they are still doomed to be eaten by ponies. Its kind of like the carrots bit from the Tool song "Disgustipated".
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you have to compare it to a Tool song, it may be too much for My Little Pony. *giggles*
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just finished the new episode! I'm so glad the show is back!

This episode was a very nice return, especially that Ending! That was hilarious! I loved Rarity's song, she seems to have the best songs out of everyone really. That Cosmare(?) pony was just hilarious as heck, he had such great faces. Goth/Raven Pony and that overly bubbly Pony (that I'm guessing was a stand in for Starfire most likely) were great.

Sassy Saddles was actually a great character as well, she seemed at first to be just a classic "take all the credit/limelight" selfish villain, but I'm glad it turned out that she was just misguided instead of doing it maliciously. Pinkie was very funny the whole time and I thought for a second that this was going to be a Pinkie and Rarity dual episode, which would have been interesting to see and now I really kind of want to.

Overall this episode was great and the ending bits made it even better.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really liked that episode! It dealt with some surprisingly adult themes.

Glad they got back to Rarity actually having fashion sense. There was a period of time in the last season or two where she's just had the most gaudy, ridiculous things.

That bizarrely proportioned pony with her own face for a cutie mark is kind of hilarious. A little insensitive possibly, though?
Radio Blue Heart

The latest comics are out and great!

Friends Forever with Luna and Discord is a fun read. It also makes Discord a more complex character by showing his subconscious. Its strange to think that even he has some hidden fears and insecurities. Considering how over confident and condescending he can be.

The new story line in the regular series is shaping up to be epic! I'll try not to spoil anything but some of the situations set up in the "Fiendship" miniseries are starting to pay off! It left me with a lot of questions like did Radiant Hope get banished with the other Crystal Ponies for a thousand years and thus put into a type of stasis or is she somehow become immortal/longlived.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I loved this episode! Quite a bit of world development especially with the wonderbolts. Rarity and Rainbow Dash made a great team, and Rarity a great detective. I loved the heck out of the Noir theme the episode had, which is a genre of movie I just love the heck out of. So I guess that kind of biases me to this one a bit.

Rarity sometimes saying her thoughts outloud, while a bit of a Noir/Hard Boiled Detective parody cliche was still funny. I love the guards and Spitfires mom which was a great introduction. The immediate continuancy with the previous episode was great and I hope they keep that up. Rarity going on about fashion in the middle of the investigation was kind of annoying but given the end there that was obviously the point.

I loved the way it showed her using her ability to seduce Stallions, that I found to be really great. Also it had a nice little sherlock holmes reference in the part at the bakery. The two ponies in the background were Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. With Sherlock's Cutie Mark actually referring to his love of Bee Keeping which I don't think a lot of casual Holmes fans would know.

Overall this was yet another great Rarity episode and it had quite a bit of world building on the Wonderbolts and Spitfire specifically which I alway enjoy.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Huh. Two Rarity episodes in a row...I don't think they've had the same character be the focus of two episodes in a row before...even if this second one does focus a bit on Rainbow Dash too...and hey Dashie gets to perform with the Wonderbolts! She's pretty much fulfilled her dream now! And hey, wasn't Rarity's dream to open a boutique in Canterlot? We're not having the Mane 6 fulfill all their dreams ALREADY, are we?
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

New episode had me laughing a lot XP Some great visual gags in this one~

Also, I loved that the motif of this episode coincided with EXACTLY what I am studying in fiction writing class at University this week XD It's odd and wonderful how those things work out ;P
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I totally forgot this show was going again! I need to catch up on yesterday's episode. :O
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I think the writers are finally getting Rarity the way she's supposed to be. She's gotten a lot of hate in the past, but now she's actually not acting like a whiny wannabe canterlot nobel. I've absolutely LOVED her in the past two episodes. While she's still has an air of "high society" around her, she seems to finally be a lot more down to earth. More like I think Lauren Faust wanted her based on the first 2 episodes.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah I love how she's being written now! She's a more believable and interesting character than she was before. And she still continues to have half-decent fashion sense again. :P

I really liked the episode! The noir stuff was fun, I liked the music, and there were some very visually appealing shots! One touch I really liked was the trumpeter on the fire escape; the background music used a muted trumpet, and, sure enough, they gave him a mute! I imagine a lot of animators would get that wrong.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Okay, this is just a preventative post for you guys.

It seems that an episode was leaked early by Apple by mistake. We kindly request that you do not talk about the leaked episode here until the date it was supposed to air.

Yes, if you bought the episode, it's technically not illegal for you to watch it (as far as I'm aware), but you start getting into illegal territory if you DIDN'T buy it but still watched it somewhere.

We're just going to stay safe rather than sorry. If you feel the need to discuss pony, please feel free to discuss the latest episodes that weren't leaked. :P

Sleet wrote:One touch I really liked was the trumpeter on the fire escape;
Oh, I think I missed that. Where was it? I'm going to have to go back and look for him.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't recall. It was part of one of the noir sections. It wasn't exactly hidden, but it wasn't a very long shot.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I watched Friendship Games. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more that the last two (maybe about as much as Rainbow Rocks, definitely more than the original)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Okay, seriously, three Rarity episodes in a row?!?

Mind you, they're three pretty good episodes. This latest one is quite nice.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This episode was good, not as good as the last one but still really good overall. Its moral I liked better than the other two. Seeing Coco Pommel was nice and I loved the callbacks the episode had that was really great, I really enjoy that this show is starting to do call backs in episodes that aren't the finale and opener more often. I really don't have a whole lot to say about this one really except I loved learning a bit more about Manehatten and that Filly Coco was super adorable. :D

As for Friendship Games I would put that somewhere between the first one and Rainbow Rocks for me. RR was better IMO but this one was still really solid. Crystal Prep was cool and Sci-Twi is a great character that you can clearly recognize as Twilight but she is still very different from her Pony counterpart. The transformation sequences for Twi and Sunset were pretty awesome. Crystal Preps Principal was an Ok villain (if a bit over the top for some stupid interschool competition); and I liked Dean Cadance and the rest of the Crystal Prep Team quite a bit.

The ending was nice and I liked that Twilight is going to Canterlot High now even if it was predictable. While I agree that in the movie itself Spike gaining the ability to talk was pointless (outside of distracting Sci-Twi) it's clearly setting up for movie 4 or perhaps the spin off they keep talking about. Also the credit scene clearly spoils some of the finale namely that it's going to be about Twilight dealing with various time loops while trying to stop Shimmer.

Overall this has been a good week for the show IMO can't wait for the rest of the season.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I enjoyed that episode, but less than the last one. Coco's kind of adorable. :3

I'm surprised we didn't get a Twilight B-plot though! Like, how is she handling her boredom? Could have made for some fun moments.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:I'm surprised we didn't get a Twilight B-plot though! Like, how is she handling her boredom? Could have made for some fun moments.
the next episode supposedly takes place in Ponyville at the same time as this one, so we may see that a bit next week.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

A clip is up for the next episode. Prepare yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8i8VhX4TSE

I really need to get caught up on this season.
-Virgil
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:A clip is up for the next episode. Prepare yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8i8VhX4TSE

I really need to get caught up on this season.

Oh I think I'm going to like this episode. I was already anticipating it and now I'm even more interested
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

The feels were strong at the end of the latest episode :'D
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I was actually expecting the latest episode to have a plot twist It actually turns out NOT to be Big Mac in drag but an actual cousin who looks like him and has certain"quirks" that made her seem like she was Big Mac in disguise Still a good episode though.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This episode was good, especially at the end. I was glad we finally got a Big Mac episode and it gave him a ton of development, it even shed a different light on the Princess Big Mac part of Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep. I also really enjoyed the Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo interactions those were great as well. The fact that no one was fooled by Big Macs disguise nor did they care he did it really stood out to me as great parts. Loved Sweetie Belle and Scootaloos expressions when Big Mac showed up at the social, those were great.

Overall it was a really good episode and I wish more minor characters, like Zecora and Cheerilee ect. would get episodes as well.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well, that happened.
The episode was alright.
seemed like DT wanting to change came out of left field, so that would have been a bit better if it had been hinted at before. and the CMC getting these specific marks was sudden. the rest of the series seemed to hint at them getting specific marks, and there was no hint at them helping others understand theirs until this season. and it looks like they got some sort of combination of those originally planned marks and this new CMC one?

overall an alright episode, with some exciting things happening. always love characterization of minor characters.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:seemed like DT wanting to change came out of left field, so that would have been a bit better if it had been hinted at before.
It didn't come that far out of left field for me because 1: She's never had any private moments on the show that we would really see her in such a state. Heck, we didn't even know she had a Mom, much less one that was actively pushing her to be that way. And 2: It was mostly triggered by her finally pushing Silver Spoon away it seems. We've seen her abuse her friendship with her before, but judging by Diamond's reaction, I'd assume this is the first time Silver Spoon has basically said "I've had enough of you." It would be quite the wake up call for her, especially if she's already had those doubts for a while.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:and the CMC getting these specific marks was sudden. the rest of the series seemed to hint at them getting specific marks, and there was no hint at them helping others understand theirs until this season. and it looks like they got some sort of combination of those originally planned marks and this new CMC one?
In a way, I quite liked that they didn't get the marks we'd expect them to. I know a lot of people didn't like when the Main 6 had their cutie marks scrambled and sang about it being their destiny because it made it seem like ponies didn't have a choice in what mark they got. I think this shows this isn't the case. They all got their mark because they met each other and became good friends with a knack for helping others figure out their talents. If they never met though, it's clear that Sweetie Belle would have gotten a musical mark and Applebloom would probably have an apple one. It's not about what you're destined to do, it really is determined by what you discover you enjoy doing. (I think the combination shows that too, as Sweetie clearly enjoys singing, Applebloom still likes apples, and Scootaloo... uh, stunts? Whatever it is her mark means.)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

JeffCvt wrote:It didn't come that far out of left field for me because 1: She's never had any private moments on the show that we would really see her in such a state. Heck, we didn't even know she had a Mom, much less one that was actively pushing her to be that way. And 2: It was mostly triggered by her finally pushing Silver Spoon away it seems. We've seen her abuse her friendship with her before, but judging by Diamond's reaction, I'd assume this is the first time Silver Spoon has basically said "I've had enough of you." It would be quite the wake up call for her, especially if she's already had those doubts for a while.
Just cause there may have been off-screen moments that would have made this more expected, they were still off screen. It came out of left field and there was no indication that we should be looking towards left field. As you say, we didn't know she had a mom pushing her to be like this. We didn't even know she was like this. we knew she was mean, spoiled, and looked down on other ponies. But as far as I could tell she only looked down on them for being blank flanks, not because they were lower class and she felt she had to be better than everyone.
JeffCvt wrote:In a way, I quite liked that they didn't get the marks we'd expect them to.
I wasn't saying they should have gotten the ones we expected, I was saying they could have stood to make us expect what they got a bit more. The 'helping others' aspect really only came up in Appleoosa's Most Wanted and this episode, maybe in Bloom and gloom a little too. it's like they thoguht of these marks this season and decided to start leading them there when the rest of the seasons had pushed them to the ones we were expecting.

as I said, the episode's alright, the story in it was great. just not executed as well as it could have been.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well they did it! Ok I really like this one, DT and SS getting character development was great even if some of it was a bit out of left field (though as with the Background characters in episode 100 I think they might have taken some inspiration from the fandom in this case.) Even Pip was adorable as heck and got a bit of development too, though not much sadly. This one also had some great faces as well especially from DT in the clubhouse.

It being a musical was very surprising but the songs for the most part were very well done only like one or two I didn't enjoy as much as the others. DTs mom was horrible and the only thing I could think was "Lady you are an adult, what the heck are you doing making fun of kids."

When scootaloo was giving her little speech to the others about helping find others cutie marks and not caring if she got hers, I was just like "don't you screw with us this time writers, don't you do it!" and I had a mini mark out moment when the purple swirl of magic came up when their hooves touched. The ending was nice and its the first time the officially acknowledged in dialogue that, yes the apple families parents are dead.

Over all this was a great episode and a great way to finally move them forward. Oh yeah and then suddenly there was that Opening Theme Shot Ending, which was strange and very unexpected but still really neat.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So I just thought of something. (Oh, I'm also not spoilering it because it's been long enough that you should know not to check any MLP related things if you don't want the episode spoiled. :P)

Starlight Glimmer's thing was removing cutie marks. Beyond that, we never really learned her motivation for doing so. To be honest, we're not that far away from the season finale where we assume they'll encounter Starlight Glimmer again. I wonder if the CMC's new cutie mark related cutie marks will play a major role in a cutie mark related villain?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Alright I got behind so I just watched the last two!

Brotherhooves Social was honestly kinda insensitive. :/ I understand they had no bad intentions but still, they ended up touching on some pretty hurtful stereotypes with Big Mac. I'm glad the voice actor followed up and apologized, but ideally they would have handled the episode way better than that. The ending was kind of cute at least.

As for Crusaders of the Lost Mark... I'm torn. It was really emotional and I totally appreciate that. Diamond Tiara's face turn was kinda out of left field and I would have loved to see it happen more gradual, but I understand they just have 22 minutes to work with. I do appreciate how they seem to be keeping her personality similar despite making her not a jerk anymore (or at least not as much of one). As for the cutie marks... I don't like it. It was a great moment but now they just robbed their B cast of their primary gimmick. Sometimes shows work when Wile E. Coyote never catches the roadrunner, yaknow? Now they've lost a lot of what defined them and made them relatable to younger audiences.

Also I'm pretty sure that's as close to an explicit confirmation that Applejack's parents are dead as we're going to get.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Am I the only one who seems to think that Diamond Tiara's turn should have been more or less out of left field like it was?

I mean, I understand people's want for a deep story and for things to be hinted at in episodes prior and for everything to be connected in a huge, over-arching plot like in Adventure Time or Gravity Falls, but for me, MLP's appeal is that it DOESN'T do that. I've never really wanted to get into Adventure Time or Gravity Falls because of how intertwined the overarching story is. It just doesn't work for me for me with shows that are trying to do it while still stay as kid friendly as they are.

I mean, look at Diamond Tiara's motivation for doing what she does. It was because she didn't know how to be the pony she wanted to be. She's... not really that complex of a character. If we saw this for even a moment in an earlier episode, there would be no surprise in it.
Sleet wrote:Sometimes shows work when Wile E. Coyote never catches the roadrunner, yaknow?
Also, while I agree with this, you have to look at the CMC's general behavior and how it's changed over the run of the show. They've all matured. Whether this is due to the writers, the way the VA's are just voicing their lines as they mature, or both, I don't know. But it doesn't change the fact it's happening. I mean, just last week we literally had a reminder that (at least) a full year has passed in the show with the sisterhooves social happening again. Their crusading is only entertaining as long as they're immature and naive. I feel like if they went back to how they acted in seasons 1 or 2, it would feel really awkward with how mature they've been in the episodes leading up to this one.

While it's a big change, change is also what keeps a show from becoming stale. Change makes it different, not bad. We still haven't seen what they're going to do with them, and I'm reserving my judgement until I see another episode focused on them.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit