There's an app for that! (smartphone discussion)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

The Broken Fox

There's an app for that! (smartphone discussion)

Post by The Broken Fox »

Hey guys!

I don't really know how many smartphone users are here on the forum among us, but I thought I could try and start a thread to talk about platforms, phones and apps, the reason being that I'm a big tech geek of course! Maybe even some mobile gaming, or mobile friendly web stuff! Of course, only if anyone's interested... ;) The worst thing that can happen is that this thread dies faster than someone saying what-now? :mrgreen:

Okay, to kick things off, I'm an Android user. I own a trusty old HTC Hero, the European GSM variant. And she's been nicely modded with custom firmware and some tweaks by Yours Truly!

My three favorite apps at the moment are:
1. The Impossible Level Game
2. BeyondPod
3. The Amazon Kindle reader app
"I watch ponies now! Ponies are cool!"

Darien Shephard - SP - S-4 P-9 E-3 C-8 I-10 A-2 L-6
Dusk Roscoe - YF - S-4 P-7 E-7 C-5 I-5 A-8 L-6
Roxanne Cooper - BPS - S-4 P-6 E-4 C-7 I-8 A-7 L-6
FarmMan1812

Re: There's an app for that! (smartphone discussion)

Post by FarmMan1812 »

Android FTW!!!!
1) Impossible Game
2) Doodle Jump
3) Tank Hero
4) Angry Birds
5) Facebook
6) Shotgun
7) iBeer

Something really cool for anyone with a Droid.
Go to the market and get something called Dxtop.
Its a theme that make it so when you slide from one page to another, your not just going left and right, it goes up and down, kinda like a cross. There are different screen transitions with dxtop too (paid version has more). You can make it fade, you can make it twist, and you can make it look like a cube.
Here is what is like, and some other themes (or "Home replacement" apps as they are really called.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlm_f2e9 ... re=related
(the dude in the video is NOT me)
There is a FREE version and one that cost like $3.
It's AWESOME
Last edited by FarmMan1812 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Hmmm, Dxtop is an interesting home replacement for sure. I used ADW.Launcher while I was still on the factory ROM (never again! :evil: Long Live Cyanogen!) and now I'm using Launcher Pro, which was actually baked into the ROM of my choice. Both are very good, and have the same features, so it's a personal choice, I guess.

FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

The Broken Fox wrote:Hmmm, Dxtop is an interesting home replacement for sure. I used ADW.Launcher while I was still on the factory ROM (never again! :evil: Long Live Cyanogen!) and now I'm using Launcher Pro, which was actually baked into the ROM of my choice. Both are very good, and have the same features, so it's a personal choice, I guess.
ROM?
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

A package of a certain build of the Android OS that you can install on your phone is generally referred to as a ROM in the Android hacking community. It's a big image file that contains the software that will run on your phone, all packaged up and ready to install. It got the name from the ROM memory chip, onto which it is flashed while installing. I basically replaced the outdated version of Android HTC left me with after they discontinued support for the Hero with a community made Android version that is newer and better, as we say, 'I flashed a custom ROM'.

Edit: And now I realize I might scare away people with all this technical talk... :oops: Sorry, I'll tone it down, promise!

FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

The Broken Fox wrote:A package of a certain build of the Android OS that you can install on your phone is generally referred to as a ROM in the Android hacking community. It's a big image file that contains the software that will run on your phone, all packaged up and ready to install. It got the name from the ROM memory chip, onto which it is flashed while installing. I basically replaced the outdated version of Android HTC left me with after they discontinued support for the Hero with a community made Android version that is newer and better, as we say, 'I flashed a custom ROM'.

Edit: And now I realize I might scare away people with all this technical talk... :oops: Sorry, I'll tone it down, promise!
So kinda like Jailbreaking an iPhone, in Layman's terms.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

I don't have a smartphone, but most likely if I do get a phone it's gonna have the Android OS on it.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

My fav' apps are:

Age of Zombies
Monster run
Fruit Ninja
Pentix
Cut the Rope

I love all of them so much. I own every halfbrick app in the app library! They make amazingly fun games, in my opinion.

Anyway, I use an Ipod Touch, though many of the games can be played just like on an Iphone...so, yeah. Awesome.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I don't have a smartphone but I do enjoy playing my friend's CoD Zombies app.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

FarmMan1812 wrote:
The Broken Fox wrote:A package of a certain build of the Android OS that you can install on your phone is generally referred to as a ROM in the Android hacking community. It's a big image file that contains the software that will run on your phone, all packaged up and ready to install. It got the name from the ROM memory chip, onto which it is flashed while installing. I basically replaced the outdated version of Android HTC left me with after they discontinued support for the Hero with a community made Android version that is newer and better, as we say, 'I flashed a custom ROM'.

In fear of geeking out again, I'll just say yes, sort of.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I would kill to have a Blackberry or iPhone that has unlimitied mobile web and texting, but I don't, so.....

Does a Verizon Samsung Reality qualify as a smartphone? I know it's at least called a data phone if not a sart phone....
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Beagle wrote:I would kill to have a Blackberry or iPhone that has unlimitied mobile web and texting, but I don't, so.....

Does a Verizon Samsung Reality qualify as a smartphone? I know it's at least called a data phone if not a sart phone....
I guess that's a feature or media phone? I would say that smartphones are those that run iOS, Android, BlackBerry OS, WebOS, Symbian or Windows Phone 7 Series OS (formerly Windows Mobile, and darn, that's a long name for an OS), you can install native apps on them, and app development is open for any 3rd party developer.
But actually owning a smartphone is not a requirement to talk about them! ;)

Aarden

Post by Aarden »

1) Angry Birds
2) Dictionary
3) eBuddy
4) Facebook
5) Twitter
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

Spargo wrote:1) Angry Birds
2) Dictionary
3) eBuddy
4) Facebook
5) Twitter
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The Broken Fox wrote:
Beagle wrote:I would kill to have a Blackberry or iPhone that has unlimitied mobile web and texting, but I don't, so.....

I guess that's a feature or media phone? I would say that smartphones are those that run iOS, Android, BlackBerry OS, WebOS, Symbian or Windows Phone 7 Series OS (formerly Windows Mobile, and darn, that's a long name for an OS), you can install native apps on them, and app development is open for any 3rd party developer.
But actually owning a smartphone is not a requirement to talk about them! ;)
Perhaps! I know it beats my old Nokia flip phone! ;D I only had calling; now I can text and surf the web with my phone. :3 Makes life sooooo much easier.
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

While we're talking about mobile stuff, I have a question to whomever has the authority or is in the know to answer it (mods, I guess that's you!): As far as I know the HP forum has no mobile friendly access, like a mobile browser optimized version or Tapatalk access, right? And that probably won't change soon either? Opera Mini does a fair job of rendering the page, and all the controls and buttons work, but it's still uncomfortable to do anything besides browsing the forum. Posting or PM-ing would be so much easier... Of course, I realize that I just might be the only person who wants mobile friendly access... :?

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

We actually addressed that question in the feedback & suggestions thread. Buckdida says it best when he says we don't have the programming resources to provide such a service. I'm just about qualified to play around with the forum code, but not skilled enough to be comfortable undertaking that task.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Dissension wrote:We actually addressed that question in the feedback & suggestions thread. Buckdida says it best when he says we don't have the programming resources to provide such a service. I'm just about qualified to play around with the forum code, but not skilled enough to be comfortable undertaking that task.
Ah, okay, thanks for pointing me there! I haven't seen that post before.

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Dissension wrote:We actually addressed that question in the feedback & suggestions thread. Buckdida says it best when he says we don't have the programming resources to provide such a service. I'm just about qualified to play around with the forum code, but not skilled enough to be comfortable undertaking that task.
Qualified? Remember the LAST time you messed with the forum code?! :P /offtopic

Personally, I'm trying to avoid a smartphone as much as I possibly can. Being connected to the internet 24/7 would be a bad, bad, distracting thing for me... I miss my old Razor. AT&T doesn't support old phones anymore. They literally tore down the network and forced me to upgrade to a 3G phone! (Free of charge, at least.)
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

If I get a smartphone, it will probably be after I graduate college. I'd like a 4G smartphone with AndroidOS, an HD camera (who knows, they might have 3D by then), Rhapsody, Pandora, tweetdeck, possibly an FA app (if that ever happens), Where My Car?! (an app that finds your car made by my cousin), IRC, apps that allow live streaming of webcasts, and a universal IM app.

I want to run a business someday, so I'd also need apps that assist with that as well.
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Anthroguy101 wrote:If I get a smartphone, it will probably be after I graduate college. I'd like a 4G smartphone with AndroidOS, an HD camera (who knows, they might have 3D by then), Rhapsody, Pandora, tweetdeck, possibly an FA app (if that ever happens), Where My Car?! (an app that finds your car made by my cousin), IRC, apps that allow live streaming of webcasts, and a universal IM app.

I want to run a business someday, so I'd also need apps that assist with that as well.
Well there were more 4G phones unveiled at CES a week and a half ago than you can shake a stick at, and you can bet more are coming at MWC in February! ;) *grumble* lucky Americans grumble no 4G where I live *grumble* you have some of the best Android phones *grumble grumble* And besides the FA app, you can find everything else you mentioned in the Market for free! *grumble* no paid Market here either! *grumble*

The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

A bit of humor to make Monday bearable... :P

How do smartphone users see each other?

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Buckdida wrote:Qualified? Remember the LAST time you messed with the forum code?! :P /offtopic
You can't just say that and not explain the joke. :P

Has anyone seen that new function they are testing where you can put a certain casing on your phone and it would be beneficial to patients who need their heartbeat monitered?! That's so cool! =D
EmoPeanut

Post by EmoPeanut »

The Broken Fox wrote:
FarmMan1812 wrote:
The Broken Fox wrote:

NOO! I wanted to hear the geek out... man, when something cool happens.

I got an iphone. the Apps are awesome. My favorite thing to do on it is play DOOM
Im crazy......WAFFLES!!!
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Does anyone here play Words With Friends? It finally came out for Android, and I'd be happy to play with you guys! :D My user name is TheBrokenFox, like my forum nick but without spaces.

Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

I just got a iPhone via verizon and i'm a bit over my head here as this is my first smartphone evar..I've gotten a few apps but the only ones I use so far are facebook and m&t mobile banking app lol Gotta find some good games..