Has anyone ever had an ‘Agreeing Disagreement’?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JageshemashFTW

Has anyone ever had an ‘Agreeing Disagreement’?

Post by JageshemashFTW »

I’ve been told this is a problem I have when trying to express my points to other people, and I’m wondering how much of this might be a universal thing.

Basically, have you ever been in an argument or debate with someone then suddenly realized you were actually arguing for the same thing? Like you were actually agreeing with each other but you were using different words, clashing terminology, that it sounded like you disagreed with each other so you’re both just sort of left spinning your wheels?
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
Nathan Kerbonaut

Re: Has anyone ever had an ‘Agreeing Disagreement’?

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

This happens to me occasionally, but not often. Seems like it happens when me or the person I'm talking to either isn't paying attention or doesn't understand the subject matter. That explains why most of "agreeing disagreements" I remember happened with my mom, who is easily distracted, no disrespect intended.
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:This happens to me occasionally, but not often. Seems like it happens when me or the person I'm talking to either isn't paying attention or doesn't understand the subject matter. That explains why most of "agreeing disagreements" I remember happened with my mom, who is easily distracted, no disrespect intended.
No disrespect felt. For me, I think its less a lack of attention and more just an inability to pick the right words to get my meaning across.
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

I know the feeling. Sometimes a conversation leaves you wondering what is so difficult to understand??
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:I know the feeling. Sometimes a conversation leaves you wondering what is so difficult to understand??
That sounds like every day in one of my college classes.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Some folks clarify their thinking by talking an idea through. Happens all the time.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Some people just like to argue for arguing's sake. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

For me it seems to happen a good 75% of the time but that is because either I'm not paying attention, the person I am talking to isn't paying attention or I just explain stuff poorly. Back in high school, people used to do it to me just to be a ******.