Amazon's Black Friday sales

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Aarden

Amazon's Black Friday sales

Post by Aarden »

I have been hoping to get a new Xbox for cheap on Amazon's sale, every lightning deal they've had on has sold out in, at longest, 5 minutes by people buying just to make a profit, the xboxs aren't on todays lightning deals thankfully.

So what's it like in America with all the Black Friday sales?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Amazon's Black Friday sales

Post by Sleet »

From what I've heard, it's crazy. Some retailers have ridiculous deals which leads to some aggressive shoppers if the demand is high enough.

This is just the online equivalent.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I dislike Black Friday because it means Christmas ads start in mid-november, and when you aren't exactly in a holiday mood (because it's not even THANKSGIVING RGGGH! SANTA HASN'T EVEN MADE IT TO MACY'S YET TO TELL YOU TO BUY STUFF) they are really really really grating.
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Black Friday is the earliest I accept Christmas stuff. I'm willing to play Christmas music then, or buy Christmas-themed products, or decorate for Christmas. I let my school slide for putting up Christmas decorations in mid-November because we're not staying there for most of the Christmas season.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

I usually start getting christmas presents in around november so I'm not in a rush at the last minute, plus it saves me waiting in massive queues. I don't do anything else to do with christmas until december.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well, I never actually bought anything via internet. I'm always aware of being tricked. But since I need to buy traditional cameras like Canon AE-1 or Minolta, I won't have a choice.

But anyways... why they call it a Black Friday?
I'm a bookworm!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've heard that it was because stores always turn a profit, and profits are recorded in black, whereas losses are recorded in red. That could just be a myth, though.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

A lot of good sales going on, especially at a few game stores, I chose the worst time to have no spending money.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Last year, some guy working in a Wal-Mart in my area got trampled and killed because shoppers poured in when he opened the doors for the Black Friday sale.
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Tha Housedog wrote:Last year, some guy working in a Wal-Mart in my area got trampled and killed because shoppers poured in when he opened the doors for the Black Friday sale.
Wow...
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Tha Housedog wrote:Last year, some guy working in a Wal-Mart in my area got trampled and killed because shoppers poured in when he opened the doors for the Black Friday sale.
Yeah I heard about that, just goes to show how crazy some people can get just to save some money.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

One of the guys in my training class worked at WalMart for several years. He has horror stories of Black Friday. Other classmates were willing to put in their experience with soccer moms perched over bins, waiting for the announcement that the sales could be had.

I don't work for WalMart, but I'd be happy to advise you that they're offering a 42-inch Emerson LCD television with 1080i resolution and a 60 hertz refresh rate for $398. And if you buy one and call to register it, you'll get to talk to me... maybe.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Sleet wrote:I've heard that it was because stores always turn a profit, and profits are recorded in black, whereas losses are recorded in red. That could just be a myth, though.
Actually, that could be true, but the reason it occurs is because it's the end of the fiscal year for most of the big companies, so they have to pay a huge bill the following week, so they try to get rid of all of their merchandise while still getting profit for them. That was also why they were also criticizing that last year's Black Friday was going to be a Red Friday due to a lack in potential customers...
Dubiousity wrote:
Yeah I heard about that, just goes to show how crazy some people can get just to save some money.
Goes to show you that most of those people are serious when they want to buy cheap. You'd think this only happens in cartoons, and that the person who opens the door and gets trampled on will be fine in the end...Think again...
Dissension wrote:One of the guys in my training class worked at WalMart for several years. He has horror stories of Black Friday. Other classmates were willing to put in their experience with soccer moms perched over bins, waiting for the announcement that the sales could be had.

I don't work for WalMart, but I'd be happy to advise you that they're offering a 42-inch Emerson LCD television with 1080i resolution and a 60 hertz refresh rate for $398. And if you buy one and call to register it, you'll get to talk to me... maybe.
Are these one of those products that your insurance company are insuring?
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:I've heard that it was because stores always turn a profit, and profits are recorded in black, whereas losses are recorded in red. That could just be a myth, though.
Pretty sure that's correct, it makes sense anyway. It's the day where the stores make their last big surge to be in the black that year.

That's the nice thing about ordering online, even if Amazon goes down due to traffic, you're in no physical danger of getting hurt.
Image Image