"Weird" favorite foods?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

D-Rock

"Weird" favorite foods?

Post by D-Rock »

As many keep mentioning Bailey's cherry pickle milkshake, I couldn't help but wonder what other things people may like that is considered odd. Now granted, much of this speculation will need to account for cultural differences, but let's try it out anyway.

What do you like to eat that gets weird looks from people?

I'll start off, I rather like corn on the cob with mayonnaise. Loved it since childhood. I'm guessing it's more of a Hispanic thing, as any non-Hispanics give me said weird look when I mention it.

So, anything else anyone would like to add?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Dissension

Re: "Weird" favorite foods?

Post by Dissension »

People don't approve when I put banana on my tuna salad sandwiches.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And I just made a weird look. That does sound interesting, though. Sounds like it would definitely change the texture of it. That actually sounds like a good combination of sweet and savory. Of course, that would depend on how the tuna salad is made.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Like jazz fusion

but with food.
Just an Arc
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, I am training to be a chef, this kind of stuff catches my interest. It has the potential to gross me out, but I still want to learn more.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Weird foods....
Basically any traditional dish from the Scandinavian countries. Especially Iceland...especially Iceland...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

As I am unfamiliar with Iceland, how about a few examples that you personally like?
Deske

Post by Deske »

I'm not from Iceland but apparently according to a Dane and Wikipedia, a traditional Icelandic food consists of some form of shark that has been pickled then left to ferment in the sand for a while. Of course that was long probably fermented somewhere not in sand, then it is hung to dry.
It is called Hákarl

OH AND DON'T FORGET!!
Sweden has Surströmming :3
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

First thing that comes to mind is the Sprite with a couple shots of vanilla syrup that I used to get at Waffle House.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Deske wrote:I'm not from Iceland but apparently according to a Dane and Wikipedia, a traditional Icelandic food consists of some form of shark that has been pickled then left to ferment in the sand for a while. Of course that was long probably fermented somewhere not in sand, then it is hung to dry.
It is called Hákarl

OH AND DON'T FORGET!!
Just read on both, and just, wow. As I mentioned, it is actually interesting to learn about, but will likely be unable to get myself to try it (or even find it, I don't travel internationally).
Douglas Collier wrote:First thing that comes to mind is the Sprite with a couple shots of vanilla syrup that I used to get at Waffle House.
You know, I don't really try the flavored sodas at Sonic. At work, where we have almost unlimited access to the soda machine, I did try mixing Sprite with other drinks, namely Dr. Pepper and root beer. It managed to give them a more mellow flavor. Also tried root beer with chocolate syrup, not too bad, but nothing I was crazy about. Would very likely have been better if I had access to chocolate flavoring as opposed to the syrup used for milkshakes and ice cream.

Side note, I hear and read that Waffle House is really good, any recommendations?
Douglas Collier

The Texas Toast is pretty good. The T-bone steak is also good. Actually, I think most all of it is pretty good.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Deske

Post by Deske »

D-Rock wrote:
Deske wrote:I'm not from Iceland but apparently according to a Dane and Wikipedia, a traditional Icelandic food consists of some form of shark that has been pickled then left to ferment in the sand for a while. Of course that was long probably fermented somewhere not in sand, then it is hung to dry.
It is called Hákarl

OH AND DON'T FORGET!!
Just read on both, and just, wow. As I mentioned, it is actually interesting to learn about, but will likely be unable to get myself to try it (or even find it, I don't travel internationally).
If my memory serves correctly you can actually order Surströmming since it's in a can and practically soaking in its own rancid juice. Although I find that a bit more stomachable because they tend to eat it on a sandwich made of things. Hákarl however would probably be harder to get. Maybe order a few bags of it that have had the air taken out or something. I'm interested to try it.
Douglas Collier wrote:The Texas Toast is pretty good. The T-bone steak is also good. Actually, I think most all of it is pretty good.
What is Texas Toast?
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

I believe Texas Toast (at least from when I had it) is usually a thick slice of bread that has garlic and butter on it. Basically a big thick cut garlic bread.

Though I am not adventurous when it comes to food. I did eat eel once on sushi. which people around me find to be very weird.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

I like to eat carrots with mustard. Also like to occasionally mix Coke Icee and Dr. Pepper. Also, I put mashed potatoes on a chicken-fried steak sandwich.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Shadowstar23 wrote:I like to eat carrots with mustard. Also like to occasionally mix Coke Icee and Dr. Pepper. Also, I put mashed potatoes on a chicken-fried steak sandwich.
Those do sound very good.

I some times take mashed potatoes and gravy and put them in a dinner roll and eat it. never thought of eating it with some chicken-fried steak.
RP Characters:
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

I was just visiting China over the summer and had Beef Gelatin. I know it is one of those "savory" dessert but it was probably one of the strangest things I ever ate. I sort of liked it. If we are on the topic of "favorite" strange foods, I suggest sort-of baked brownies. It's like chocolate-brownie soup :P
Last edited by Bucky-Roo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Bucky-Roo wrote:I was just visiting China over the summer and had Beef Gelatin. I know it is one of those "savory" dessert but it was probably one of the strangest things I ever ate. I sort of liked it. If we are on the topic of "favorite" strange foods, I suggest sort of baked brownies. It's like chocolate-brownie soup :P
Don't you mean unbaked brownies since people usually bake brownies. :P
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:
Bucky-Roo wrote:I was just visiting China over the summer and had Beef Gelatin. I know it is one of those "savory" dessert but it was probably one of the strangest things I ever ate. I sort of liked it. If we are on the topic of "favorite" strange foods, I suggest sort of baked brownies. It's like chocolate-brownie soup :P
Don't you mean unbaked brownies since people usually bake brownies. :P
I mean't "sort-of baked"
Sorry for confusion xD
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

I like mayonnaise with my tater tots and French Fries. Heck, I use mayo as a dip from time to time. I also one time made a dip with buffalo sauce, bleu cheese, and mustard.
Also, I love squid.
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
Douglas Collier

Shadowstar23 wrote:Also, I put mashed potatoes on a chicken-fried steak sandwich.
Ah, that reminds me of a time in college when I decided to mix some popcorn into mashed potatoes. It was actually really good, and probably less weird than eating mashed potatoes and gravy fondue style, which is what my roommates were doing that night (and yes, I did have some of that as well). :P
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Really glad I started this thread!
Douglas Collier wrote:The Texas Toast is pretty good. The T-bone steak is also good. Actually, I think most all of it is pretty good.
Alright, next time I see one, I'll try it out. Thanks!
Drake wrote:I believe Texas Toast (at least from when I had it) is usually a thick slice of bread that has garlic and butter on it. Basically a big thick cut garlic bread.

Though I am not adventurous when it comes to food. I did eat eel once on sushi. which people around me find to be very weird.
Texas Toast and gravy. Loved that about Dairy Queen! Haven't had eel, though. Had cuttlefish and squid in class once, was actually pretty good. Just boiled and lightly seasoned.
Drake wrote:
Shadowstar23 wrote:I like to eat carrots with mustard. Also like to occasionally mix Coke Icee and Dr. Pepper. Also, I put mashed potatoes on a chicken-fried steak sandwich.
Those do sound very good.

I some times take mashed potatoes and gravy and put them in a dinner roll and eat it. never thought of eating it with some chicken-fried steak.
Carrots and mustard? That's a new one, but then again, this thread is meant to find new ones. I've mixed the drinks, but how have I never thought of mixing the Icee's?! That's a really good sandwich, love it when the opportunity presents itself to make one. One time, all I managed to get was a biscuit with a little gravy and a chicken nugget. Amazing stuff, still.
Bucky-Roo wrote:I was just visiting China over the summer and had Beef Gelatin. I know it is one of those "savory" dessert but it was probably one of the strangest things I ever ate. I sort of liked it. If we are on the topic of "favorite" strange foods, I suggest sort-of baked brownies. It's like chocolate-brownie soup :P
Well, gelatin is commonly made with bones, but actually flavored? Sounds interesting. And those brownies, those sound familiar. Maybe I've come across a recipe somewhere for that.
Vegas wrote:I like mayonnaise with my tater tots and French Fries. Heck, I use mayo as a dip from time to time. I also one time made a dip with buffalo sauce, bleu cheese, and mustard.
Also, I love squid.
I kind of want to try using mayo as a dip, now. It's not unheard of, but never tried it. And that does sound like an interesting sauce, but I really don't like bleu cheese. Too bitter for my liking. At work, there is "creamy bleu dressing", all it really is is some bleu cheese crumbles mixed with ranch. Starts sweet, ends bitter.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Just throwing this out there:

Y'all sometimes dip your fries in shakes or malts if they happen to be around, right?
Just an Arc
Deske

Post by Deske »

I do that! The shake/malt/ice cream and that saltiness go together well. It's weird but delicious.
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

ArcWolf wrote:Just throwing this out there:

Y'all sometimes dip your fries in shakes or malts if they happen to be around, right?
Of course, nothing weird about that
RP Characters:
Deske

Post by Deske »

Reminds me of the time when I worked in fast food. Used to take a waffle fry and the squeeze icing onto it. Definitely an interesting flavor.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Deske wrote:I do that! The shake/malt/ice cream and that saltiness go together well. It's weird but delicious.
Nope, never done that. Closest I've had to that is chocolate-covered potato chips. It's a little odd how sweet and salty work so well together, but it really does!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I tried the fry thing before, but only because I saw it on iCarly.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I tried the fry thing before, but only because I saw it on iCarly.
Did you like it?
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

I tried that once, didn't care for it.
Course, I used McDonald's fries and shake. Blech.
D-Rock wrote:Really glad I started this thread!
Vegas wrote:I like mayonnaise with my tater tots and French Fries. Heck, I use mayo as a dip from time to time. I also one time made a dip with buffalo sauce, bleu cheese, and mustard.
Also, I love squid.
I kind of want to try using mayo as a dip, now. It's not unheard of, but never tried it. And that does sound like an interesting sauce, but I really don't like bleu cheese. Too bitter for my liking. At work, there is "creamy bleu dressing", all it really is is some bleu cheese crumbles mixed with ranch. Starts sweet, ends bitter.
You should, it's pretty good.
I'll also have a spicy sauce with almost anything. I prefer buffalo, but, Texas Pete is good in a pinch.
Deske

Post by Deske »

*high-fives Vegas* Spicy foods are awesome! I love using sauces. Though I try not to use them that much.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You know, I'm no longer sure where I stand with spicy. Hated spicy growing up, but I did enjoy buffalo wings and even the flavor jalapeños can give to burgers. Thing is, it might be just it's flavor I like, not the actual spicy food. Doesn't help that I don't exactly have the best tolerance for spiciness to begin with.

I recall a time in class where a classmate made a chocolate ganache (think a thick cream) after infusing the milk with a habanero pepper. All he did was steep the whole pepper in the milk while it was heating. He offered me some of the finished product, but I thought, "it's chocolate, but it has one of the spiciest peppers ever, do I want to try it?" In the end, I did try it, and I honestly didn't expect what happened next;

...I almost started to choke.

I am not kidding, I couldn't breathe for like ten seconds. Stayed away from stuff like that ever since.
Deske wrote:*high-fives Vegas* Spicy foods are awesome! I love using sauces. Though I try not to use them that much.
Some sauces are great, I'll admit that. The trick is, and I haven't mastered this, is getting the perfect balance with the food you're putting it on.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Deske wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I tried the fry thing before, but only because I saw it on iCarly.
Did you like it?
I thought it was OK but not like really good to become my new favorite food.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:but only because I saw it on iCarly.
Speaking of, I really want to try those spaghetti tacos Spencer was always making.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Shadowstar23 wrote:
Speaking of, I really want to try those spaghetti tacos Spencer was always making.
I've made spaghetti sandwiches before, but never tacos. Was it a flour or corn tortilla?
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

D-Rock wrote:
Shadowstar23 wrote:
I've made spaghetti sandwiches before, but never tacos. Was it a flour or corn tortilla?
Crunchy, corn tortillas.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I made bacon pancakes that I got from Imgur a few times. they are good. Dip them in syrup and they make a good food on the go.
ratdeathtrap

Post by ratdeathtrap »

Oh boooooooooooooy.
I don't consider anything I eat truly weird, but everyone outside of Holland disagrees with me.
I love bacon-banana-cheese pancakes, which are actually really common around here.
And there's the "kroket" which is meat made from meat waste and then deep fried. It's sold in snackbars everywhere.
Also, very important, cover everything in mayonaise, the sauce of the gods.
I'll fill this in later. Probably with pictures of cats. This is the internet after all.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Pasta and ketchup. Such an amazing combination <3
Douglas Collier

44R0NM10 wrote:Pasta and ketchup. Such an amazing combination <3
This reminds me - not quite the same, but - when I don't have anything else to eat over leftover rice (stroganoff, mapo doufu, soy sauce, etc.), I'll resort to spaghetti sauce and parmesan.
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

Something I used to do working at Subway; we had a sub using imitation crab meat and I would order that with pepper jack cheese, maybe two or three large handfuls of jalapeno peppers, a handful of banana peppers, pickles, tablespoons of sriracha, chipotle, and buffalo sauces, a little bit of ranch and some oregano.