PF OOC constuction thread

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

PF OOC constuction thread

Post by Buckdida »

Alright! So! This is the first version of the new OOC for Pet Friendly (in my endless battle to try and make sure this thing runs smooth).

For now, (despite what the OOC says about posting here) you can use this to discuss and voice opinion on the new OOC, such as the new rules section and character building and such.

Also, note that this isn't the final thing. For example, links are missing, and some sections (such as the neighborhood list) aren't there yet. So if you say something about that, I will be annoyed, but I would like feedback on what you all think.

Once this is complete, I'll lock the old OOC and delete all the feedback commentary here (or move it to the old OOC, if I can do that right without screwing something up) and we'll have a shiny new organized OOC! Yay!

EDIT: The OOC is now finished, and can be seen in the "Pet Friendly: Main OOC."

Thanks to everyone who helped and dealed with me. Good luck to Argent!
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Alex

Re: Pet Friendly: *NEW* OOC Thread-Under construction

Post by Alex »

Buckdida wrote:Also, note that this isn't the final thing. For example, links are missing, ...
Well great, I was just about to say that the link to the old OOC is missing in the word "Here" (Last word of OP).

Anyway, this will be great once completed, but you really have a lot of spare time, ya know :).
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

One question--am I going to have to redo my bios and put them here? Part of the reason I ask is because I already put a link to my bios in my signature (since they were getting so far away from the most recent page of the old OOC thread), and what I mean is, will I have to update my signature to link it to this thread?
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

Luck- How lucky your character is! Trust me, this is more useful then it sounds. It can represent just plain luck, insight, resourcefulness, or anything else that leaves your character in the right place, at the right time.
Isn’t resourcefulness more of a skill in relation to intelligence, rather than a matter of luck?
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

ChewyChewy wrote:One question--am I going to have to redo my bios and put them here? Part of the reason I ask is because I already put a link to my bios in my signature (since they were getting so far away from the most recent page of the old OOC thread), and what I mean is, will I have to update my signature to link it to this thread?
Yes, bit not so much redo, more like "ctrl+c" then "ctrl+v." And I'll be expecting EVERYone to re-post their character sheets once this OOC is up and running, so that I don't need to dig through some 40 pages of goings on to find information I need. (Or that others might need)
D-Singer wrote:Isn’t resourcefulness more of a skill in relation to intelligence, rather than a matter of luck?
Yup. Part of this stuff is directly copy-pasted from the old OOC. I'd say resourcefulness would be more a wisdom stat, but we don't have that...it would probably be more a combo of luck (the things you need being there) and intelligence (being able to apply those things to the situation).

But first and foremost, it would probably be a personality trait, so I'll probably remove that from the description anyway. Thanks for pointing that out.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Buckdida wrote:Yes, bit not so much redo, more like "ctrl+c" then "ctrl+v." And I'll be expecting EVERYone to re-post their character sheets once this OOC is up and running, so that I don't need to dig through some 40 pages of goings on to find information I need. (Or that others might need)
That's what I meant. Okay then, just let me know when you want us to do that. :)
PF chars

--Phoenix

ArgentFlame

Post by ArgentFlame »

Buckdida wrote:-Old animals can not have agility or endurance scores above 4. Old age simply slows people down.
How old is "old"? I'd be inclined to think 70-75 and above.
Del S2 P6 E2 C5 I10 A8 L3
Sean S6 P5 E10 C3 I6 A6 L6
Bastion S5 P6 E4 C8 I5 A10 L4
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

ArgentFlame wrote:
Buckdida wrote:-Old animals can not have agility or endurance scores above 4. Old age simply slows people down.
How old is "old"? I'd be inclined to think 70-75 and above.
Ehh heh heh...

Um...I worked around existing characters to come up with the limits. Because I care, that's why.

So for young age, I worked around Glory, and for old age, you can probably guess O'Connor. But I think O'Connor's age is outdated, so that can change...In fact, at this point, our ages are all over the place. We'll need to get that updated once this is done.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Doesn't 1 human year= 3.5 pet years? Since it's originally 7, and our pets live twice as long, it should be 3.5, not just 3.

Anyway, everyone should post the age of their character in human AND pet years.
Richarson Valley

ArgentFlame

Post by ArgentFlame »

well, O'Connor is supposed to be 53 (Pet years of course), according to his character sheet, which is not really that old at all. That's why I suggested around 70.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Alex wrote:Doesn't 1 human year= 3.5 pet years? Since it's originally 7, and our pets live twice as long, it should be 3.5, not just 3.

Anyway, everyone should post the age of their character in human AND pet years.
Yup. But for the sake of the RP and more flexibility with ages, I rounded it down from 3.5...and up from what I wanted, 2.5, because I think an aging scale based on out of 100 (i.e. ages 1-100) is an easy to understand gauge, and I think that the current pet aging system is outdated and flawed.

(Think about it: Most humans live to 70-100 these days. Large dogs can live to around 20 years or so. If the pet aging system were 1 human=5 pet, then a 20 year old dog would be 100 years old. And if a dog lived to, say, 23 or 24, then his age wouldn't be abnormally high. 24x7=168 years old, as compared to 120 years old. Divide 5 by half, and you have 2.5. So I decided to compromise. Tada! Balance!)
ArgentFlame wrote:well, O'Connor is supposed to be 53 (Pet years of course), according to his character sheet, which is not really that old at all. That's why I suggested around 70.
Yeah...maybe O'Connor is a little younger than he acts. *Chuckles* Okay, I'll up it to around 70.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Just a simple question about RV... is it day or night? I remember Keeshah creating some time warp confusion something vortex..... It was night in the hospital, but day in the neighborhood. That worked out, but now that there has been made a connection between them, what are we gonna do?
Richarson Valley

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Alex wrote:Just a simple question about RV... is it day or night? I remember Keeshah creating some time warp confusion something vortex..... It was night in the hospital, but day in the neighborhood. That worked out, but now that there has been made a connection between them, what are we gonna do?
Ah, I've already talked about it. We're still using the old OOC as the OOC until this one is done. Go check there!
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Okay, after heated debate in the IRC, I've decided to throw my hands up and change the age conversion to:

1 Human=3.5 Pet.

There. Also, I'm going to be adding more specifics to the stats to make their uses a bit more clear.
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Alex wrote:Just a simple question about RV... is it day or night? I remember Keeshah creating some time warp confusion something vortex..... It was night in the hospital, but day in the neighborhood. That worked out, but now that there has been made a connection between them, what are we gonna do?

It was shifted from evening back to afternoon. now in the same time zone as everyone else.
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
caelei

Post by caelei »

Okay... new Ooc... Hmm, trying to formulate a plausible question... Got it!
-You may only have up to two main characters, unless you had more before the rule was created. Secondary minor characters, such as humans or other random pets, are allowed, but their involvement should be minimal.

-Guest characters are full characters that are only around for a single arc/day. Afterwards, they can disappear or become minor characters. Be sure to post a character sheet for them when introduced, and mention they are a guest character.
So, does this mean that if one of my characters left, they'd be unable to come back to the roleplay later on? You said that 'guest characters' show up for one arc/day, and I'm assuming that means not for repeated appearances. It's hard to explain what I'm getting at, so sorry if my blabbering if confusing you... here, I'll give an example.

Gary showed up for a while, and left. It's not unreasonable to think that he might be involved later on in the roleplay. Is he able to come back, or can he only appear the one time?

Hopefully what I'm getting at is clear...
(Richardson Valley)
Magnus: S-10 P-5 E-8 C-7 I-2 A-3 L-5

(Haven)
Pavelle: S-3 P-7 E-3 C-5 I-9 A-10 L-5
Felix: S-6 P-7 E-3 C-3 I-8 A-10 L-5
Grif: S-5 P-6 E-5 C-8 I-7 A-5 L-6
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Hey, if we make any new characters, should we make their apps here or is the original OOC ok?
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

caelei wrote:So, does this mean that if one of my characters left, they'd be unable to come back to the roleplay later on? You said that 'guest characters' show up for one arc/day, and I'm assuming that means not for repeated appearances. It's hard to explain what I'm getting at, so sorry if my blabbering if confusing you... here, I'll give an example.

Gary showed up for a while, and left. It's not unreasonable to think that he might be involved later on in the roleplay. Is he able to come back, or can he only appear the one time?

Hopefully what I'm getting at is clear...
The rule doesn't apply to third characters made before the rule was enacted (those people know who they are) so yes, if they take a leave, then return, they are allowed.

Secondly, I'm going to change the rule about guest characters. Guest characters will be allowed to reappear after enough time. I don't want to put a "number of arcs" limit on this, because I think that the players can gauge what a long enough time is. However, I'm going to add that each player can only have one guest character active at a time, and that there shouldn't be a ton of guest characters active at once. Maybe only three active per arc? What do you guys think?
Zack_the_husky wrote:Hey, if we make any new characters, should we make their apps here or is the original OOC ok?
Um...what do you- OH! I get it!

When this OOC becomes active and complete, any and all character sheets will be posted here. In the meantime, continue using the regular OOC for all your OOC needs!

So yeah, put your new character in the old OOC for now, okay? You'll have to repost it later, so save it in a word document or something so you can find it easily later.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Heya all. Let me define "Feedback" for ya.

COMPLAINTS.

I basically want you to complain about...whatever you have a problem with in the OOC. Do it HERE. Not the IRC. That only leads to arguing and sheer annoyance for me. Please here. Not there. I made a mistake letting people do so.

But yeah, rules, character building, ANYthing. The point of me putting it up unfinished was so I could get complaints and fix things before it was finished, and provide explanations for decisions if needed, so that everyone could have input. But nobody can deny that the current OOC is old and needs updating, so as the pseudo-GM, I went and did so, because nobody else was certainly going to jump up and do it.

Vex/Rant mode:
If you truly think I'm doing a a horrible job as Game Master, or taking too much control, step up and say so. But only if you want the job, think you can do a better job, and take me in a head-on election for GM. Otherwise, don't randomly ***** at me for no reason. PF takes a lot of time, effort, and work, and I'm not going to be taken for granted. You want the job? Come and take it.

Okay, anger good done an' out. Back you your regularly scheduled "Buckles," as Ebly sometimes says. (*twitch* AUGH why did I say that?! Probably for the funny. 'Cause this needed more funny. Yeah.)

Oh, and list of things for me to do, so I don't forget them:
(Struck things are done)
-Add extra description to stats
-Describe the "stat alert" idea
-Fix age conversion
(Note on that: Besides the fact that I think it would scale better, it also allows more time/life for backstory, which I think many would find useful. But if you want it back at 3.5, so be it.)
-Change age limit for old/young characters
-Change "Guest Characters" rule
-Add crossovers idea (with next big update)
-Add new neighborhood (with next big update)
-Find things for Echo, Argent, and Diss to help me with.

Argent's current duties: Neighborhood Slot Tracking

Anybody want to add to that list? Com'on, I need things for these guys to help me with! :P
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

I don't know if this was a rule or not, but I've gotten into the habit of putting a link in my signature to my bios (obviously I'm going to update it when I move the bios here), and a few others have done the same, but not everyone.

I think that would be a good rule--it would help both the players themselves (in case they want to go back and check something they forgot, or add something to the bios) and others (I don't always remember what species and breed each character is, so I can't always picture them in my mind.... :oops:).
PF chars

--Phoenix

ArgentFlame

Post by ArgentFlame »

I can't be the judge of whether or not that should be a rule, but it is certainly a good idea.
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

I think personally, that rule should be suggested, not forced, otherwise it might become annoying for someone.

Just seems a bit restrictive to me, that's all.

what what? Jolly good time.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:I think personally, that rule should be suggested, not forced, otherwise it might become annoying for someone.

...What's restrictive about it...? :?
PF chars

--Phoenix

Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Aw man Buck, I thought you said I was the GM. You know what you said in the IRC before you logged off. Now I am just gonna have to be ok with feeding you idea's till you give in :P

Anyway, having a link to BIOs is a good idea, but just not as a rule.
Make Pasta not war.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

ChewyChewy wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote:I think personally, that rule should be suggested, not forced, otherwise it might become annoying for someone.

...What's restrictive about it...? :?
You Must Have Character Details In Your Signature Or Else . . .

it doesn't sound a very appealing rule
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Vadiant

Post by Vadiant »

I'd think very few things would sound appealing if you said 'Or Else' after them. xD
RG; Seb & Dahlia
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Well, having things as rules imply that breaking them would warrant some form of reaction, thus making all rules an "or else" matter. *giggles*
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Ebly wrote:You Must Have Character Details In Your Signature Or Else . . .

it doesn't sound a very appealing rule
I'm with Vadiant--you could say that about any rule, and I don't approve of there being NO rules.

I just don't think it's unreasonable to have links to character bios in the signatures (I said links, not character details--links would also be more convenient for the players themselves).
Last edited by ChewyChewy on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PF chars

--Phoenix

Ebly

Post by Ebly »

ChewyChewy wrote:I'm with Vadiant--you could say that about any rule, and I don't approve of there being NO rules.

I just don't think it's unreasonable to have links to character bios in the signatures (I said links, not character details--links would also be more convenient for the players themselves).
Some other things make sense. No controlling other characters or else. Play to your stats or else. Even with the 'or else', those still make sense to include.

I think it does far, far better as a recommendation than a rule.
The Game

Post by The Game »

I still don't know how to do the link becomes customized words thing. If when I figure that out I'll make a link...i think....
it rhymed!!!!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

The Game wrote:I still don't know how to do the link becomes customized words thing. If when I figure that out I'll make a link...i think....
it rhymed!!!!

Code: Select all

[url=URL HERE] WORDS HERE [/url]
The Game

Post by The Game »

*tries that out*

OMG that works!!!!!
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Ebly wrote:Some other things make sense. No controlling other characters or else. Play to your stats or else. Even with the 'or else', those still make sense to include.

Okay, I just still don't quite understand what's wrong with it....
PF chars

--Phoenix

Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Hey, for those of us in summer, maybe we should have a resort thread or two.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

ChewyChewy wrote:
Ebly wrote:Some other things make sense. No controlling other characters or else. Play to your stats or else. Even with the 'or else', those still make sense to include.

Okay, I just still don't quite understand what's wrong with it....
It's more that having it as a rule would be restrictive because it would force people to have something in their signature, which is a bit odd. *giggles*
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Ebly wrote:It's more that having it as a rule would be restrictive because it would force people to have something in their signature, which is a bit odd. *giggles*
Oh, okay, I see. I guess I thought that was okay since it only applied to RP'ers....

I do still think it would at least be good as a recommendation, though.
PF chars

--Phoenix

ArgentFlame

Post by ArgentFlame »

Alright, so Buck has put me in charge of naming the new neighborhood, and after reviewing the suggestions, I've come up with a list of ones I like:

Avalon Commons
Emerald Terrace
Richmond Acres
Sapphire Meadows
Vacant Hollows

I'd like to know your thoughts on it, and feel free to suggest another one if you don't like any of the ones listed.
Last edited by ArgentFlame on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

I personally like Richmond Acres and Avalon Commons the best.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Richmond Acres keeps the theme of starting with R, and that's awesome.
Make Pasta not war.
caelei

Post by caelei »

Okay, nobody's been replying to this so I will!

I like the name 'Avalon Commons' even though it doesn't go with the whole 'R' theme.

Of course, shouldn't deciding the name go to whoever's going to be in the actual 3rd rp?
(Richardson Valley)
Magnus: S-10 P-5 E-8 C-7 I-2 A-3 L-5

(Haven)
Pavelle: S-3 P-7 E-3 C-5 I-9 A-10 L-5
Felix: S-6 P-7 E-3 C-3 I-8 A-10 L-5
Grif: S-5 P-6 E-5 C-8 I-7 A-5 L-6