Roleplaying Forum Rules and Guidelines (WIP)

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Roleplaying Forum Rules and Guidelines (WIP)

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Ok, so, as promised in my election campaign, I'm building a thread to clarify all the rules. This applies to ALL roleplaying section posts, not just Pet Friendly.

Remember that this is a work in progress, so any feedback is appreciated!

Table of Contents
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

General Rules

==== General Rules: How to Behave ====
Before I give any rules, I'll just go ahead and link the main forum rule thread: Forum Rules These apply here, as with any other place on the forum.

Also, apparently there's this thread which I've never seen and don't know if it's being updated: Roleplaying Section Rules

To be specific, the most basic rules are these:
  • No Swearing
    No Pushing The Rating Too Far
    No Mean-Spirited comments
    No Fighting
The spirit of these rules is that the forums have a friendly and safe atmosphere. We don't want anyone feeling insulted by other members, and we don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable with the content that they're reading.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Rating Rules

==== Rating Rules: What is Appropriate ====
The general rating of pretty much everything on the Housepets forums is PG, and so that's about the rating that these things, and about where they should stay most of the time. Now, you are allowed to push the rating when you need to, but NEVER go past PG13, and don't do it all the time. Most importantly, keep away from graphic violence and sex.

I'm going to add some more elaborate descriptions of the ratings in a second here.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Universal RP Rules

==== Universal RP Rules: How you should behave in these ====
No controlling other people's characters and pay attention to how things are being run. Also, don't break the forum rules or push the rating too much.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

OOC Rules

==== OOC Behavior: How to not be a jerk ====
When posting in the OOC, remember the following:
  • Don't yell at people! - There's no reason to get angry over who had their character play with a ball instead of going back to the campsite.
    Be considerate - Everyone is just trying to have fun. If someone does something you don't like, there's no need to insult them or treat them badly. Try to work it out with them. If you can't, ask the GM or a mod for help.
    Stay Calm - It's just a game, and you don't need to freak out whenever there's a problem.
Also, please don't get mad at the GM for trying to run the RP. Just because RockstarRaccoon is a terrible GM who totally screwed up a part of the Haunted Manor arc doesn't mean you should start screaming about how bad he is and start making in-character posts about how it's no fun anymore and you're just going to go home. He's trying his best!

If you need any help, feel free to contact the GM of the neighborhood or a Moderator.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Moderators

==== The Mods: who you can contact whenever you need ====
The Roleplaying forum has several moderators who have the power to delete and edit anyone's post and to lock topics. You can contact them to ask them anything about the rules or for help with anything in general. Also, every neighborhood has a designated GM who you can go to before a mod when you need help of some sort. Feel free to contact any of us through PM, IM, or on the IRC at any time.

The local moderators.
  • Tha Housefox - Available over the IRC and Skype. Feel free to PM him for those.
    RockstarRaccoon - Available over the IRC, Skype, and most IM clients. Feel free to PM me for those.
    CTCMJH - Not around enough... >!>;;
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

RP Structure

==== RP Structure: How these things are run ====

RPs have two threads: a main RP thread and an OOC thread.
The main RP thread is where the RP goes on, and the only things posted in there should be about the exploits of accepted characters.

RPs also have a GM who is agreed upon by the members. The GM has the following duties:
  • Rules - A GM must manage, understand, and enforce the rules of the neighborhood
    Members - GMs need to keep track of all the members and their characters, and control which characters get in. They can do this with player-limits and joining criteria.
    Setting - The GM is the primary player responsible for things like geography, weather, and NPCs, so they need to be on top of that.
    Manage the information post - GMs need to keep a list of players, rules, and setting information in the neighborhood OOC, preferably right at the beginning.
    Decision Making - Whenever anything needs to be decided on, the GM is the one responsible for that. This usually means that they need to put things to a vote of some sort, or at least get some sort of consensus on an action.
GMs MUST be active enough to check their RP almost every day, and need to tell everyone if they're going to have a period of absence.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Starting a New RP

==== Staring a New RP ====
I'm going to be blunt: part of the reason I'm putting this here is because too many people try to start RPs when they shouldn't, and they don't talk to anyone about it either. Starting a new RP takes time, patience, and other players. If you want to start a new RP, make sure you know what you're doing and that you have time to run it as the GM.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Re: Roleplaying Forum Rules and Guidelines

==== Joining an Existing RP: How to get in on the action! ====
Mainly just go to their OOC and stuff....
I'll write this eventually, lol
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

==== Dealing with Problems: When all else fails... ====
I dunno.... We're adding this too...
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

==== Discussing These Rules: go ahead and do that under here ====
Ok, so there's my rule thread so far. What do you guys think?

Remember that it's a work in progress, so any feedback would be appreciated right now.
Neko

Re: Roleplaying Forum Rules and Guidelines (WIP)

Post by Neko »

Besides the small spelling/grammar mistakes, I just think it would be better to all be in one post. Unless you plan on added tons of text to each section, I don't think each section deserves its own post. I understand you did it so you can easily just click and reach each part, but if there isn't all that much text it isn't a big deal just to scroll down through a single post and checking the bold titles.
ImageImage Back after 7 years to GM once more.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Re: Roleplaying Forum Rules and Guidelines (WIP)

Neko wrote:Besides the small spelling/grammar mistakes, I just think it would be better to all be in one post. Unless you plan on added tons of text to each section, I don't think each section deserves its own post. I understand you did it so you can easily just click and reach each part, but if there isn't all that much text it isn't a big deal just to scroll down through a single post and checking the bold titles.
Some of them WILL get pretty big, actually. ESPECIALLY the rating one, which we're writing a full page up for.

Remember, totally WIP!