Role Playing Section Feedback

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Dissension

Role Playing Section Feedback

Post by Dissension »

With the introduction of some new RP section rules, we thought this would be a good time to gather feedback from everyone. What do you like about the section? Where could we change something to provide a better user experience? Feel free to let us know what you like and dislike; what works and what you think needs to change. If you would rather not say something publicly, you are welcome to send me a private message and your identity will be kept confidential. Thanks, folks!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Re: Role Playing Section Feedback

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Dissension wrote:With the introduction of some new RP section rules
Just read it, found a typo, told Housefox over skype, he's lazy.
What do you like about the section?
I like that it has decent roleplays and decent roleplayers.
Where could we change something to provide a better user experience?
I dunno, I think the only problems that seem to exist are the kind that need to be worked out between players. I'm going to try and do my part to get that under control, but there's only so much I can do. There needs to be less inter-player drama and less sudden dropping of RPs. Also, as Hypergenesis pointed out recently, there's only so much a GM can do to make a neighborhood fun, and it's really up to the players to drive the action. GMs are there to cannonize and coordinate setting details, coordinate large arcs, and make quick decisions to keep the RP running smoothly.

There's not much the mods can really do about that kind of stuff, but I'd hope that all my fellow GMs and players will understand that we all need to work together to make the RP section stay as awesome as it's been.
Feel free to let us know what you like and dislike; what works and what you think needs to change.
"I like reading Noam Chomsky, I dislike the system, anarchy works, and I think society needs to change."
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Disclaimer:
I held both the position of a GM and a player during my active times in the roleplaying section and thus I have quite a biased opinion of the section on both its strengths and weaknesses. A few things I may say here could be considered mildly offensive to some and thus I would like to point out that I am not thargeting the people who happen to fall nicely into the descriptions I may give.

Also if you think tl;dr (Too Long; Didn't Read) but still feel like commenting, go ahead.

One thing I like best about the Roleplaying section is that it's friendly and not as restrictive.

The more seasoned forumites who run this part of the community have been quite open to suggestions and the players are engaging with respect to fresh ideas.

Approaching another player is quite simple as well due to the various mediums of communication available within the community.

Players also are quite patient and respectful of fellow players as I have observed from their forgive and forget attitude towards delayed posts.

The neighborhoods themselves as roleplaying environments are excellent. It has everything set for a good roleplay though, a character limit to stop the need to provide too many roles, a stat system to give each character a strength and weakness, a GM to moderate the method and gravity of a character's actions and finally, enough players that stops the development from being single-tracked.

Dislikes:
At the same time I like the section for its positive qualities, I dislike it the same time for those very reasons.

A common problem I see is the lack of responsibility and dedication a player has before they applied for the roleplaying community. From my observations, these people take roleplaying as a casual form of entertainment and posting only when they feel like it. It would be safe to say they don't know/realize that their inactivity is highly detrimental to other players' motivations and adding to the fact that most players are either too prudent or lack the forwardness to skip out or leave another character behind, inactivity settles in and the reason that one is waiting for another surfaces. Not that I blame them that much as human nature dictates contempt for even the most justified acts.

Even with all the methods of communication at their disposal, I sometimes wonder how they are constantly waiting for another player to post.

The persistence of some of the neighborhoods is also something so admirable that it becomes detestable. I see it the same way as a deserted interstate which every now and then attracts some cars that took the wrong turn, the attention of some thrill seeking youth or that routine-minded person that drives through it once each week as though it was some kind of ritual. Those who are in power seem to be checking if that road is being used in contrast to how it's being used. But the thing that really irks me is that the preservation of a neighborhood is simply a signature petition.

As from a personal observation, one that I don't expect the majority to agree with, most of the neighborhoods are of the same genre, modern with the only difference being a canon for the neighborhood that does not provide a good stimulus for creativity. These neighborhoods are quite static if I may say, their canons basically just there for show with no weight of importance. Instead of events being formed from the background and history of the neighborhood, players simply follow the flow of their group, acting on normal uninteresting events of everyday life and what happens today is forgotten tomorrow. Randomness is so abundant that it starts to feel like an expected mischief, and neither is there of that accidental unimportant post that suddenly becomes the center of attention. While I did praise the neighborhood set-up for various reasons, what I see is simply the opposite of what it could be, an idyllic, modern-timed sandbox where only by doing something does one become someone. Needless to say the RP... it's linear, it's predictable and it's boring. We are simply roleplaying our characters in the neighborhood instead of roleplaying in the neighborhood with our characters.

P.S. (Post Script):
While what I could say would be considered endless, I would stop here as I feel like I tackled on what I believe to be the most severe problems of the community. As I have noted in my opening disclaimer, I am not here to target players on their faults but only only collection of these problems as a whole in the community. I myself had faults both as a GM and as a player during my time, probably with resignation at the peak of that but I don't regret my decision to resign as it did take a very heavy burden off myself. If anyone would consider myself as an experience roleplayer then do know I am always available and I would be glad to help those who asks for my help with their roleplaying, but for the mean time I would just stay as an observer.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
69eist

Post by 69eist »

https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 004#p35004

It this list of RP's updated or oudated?

My concern is knowing which RP's are active/inactive, new/old, open/full and fast/slow.

I think it would be great if their is a main directory for the RP's That can directly aid new RPers and bored RPers.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

No, that list isn't up-to-date, sorry. I'll reach out and get it taken care of.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

The thing is though, not all of us are free all the time, and we have other things that need to be taken care of on a daily basis, like work, school etc. And as life would have it, there might be times when we need to prioritize some pressing issues and matters first, or we are not able to get ourselves near a reliable computer and/or internet connection, so it's a natural thing for us to not be able to come here and post. I do agree that the players and GMs here are more lenient in delayed posts, and even creative in circumventing the situation if need be, so I don't see this as a problem myself personally. We need to also remember that all the players come from different parts of the world, and not the US alone, so difference in normal free time after work or school is there, hence the delay.

I'll add some more opinions when I'm in a more relaxed mood. :3

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)