17th Century Fox - OOC

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: 17th Century Fox - OOC

Post by Serence Frostbite »

didn't we kind of agree that Moon Howler's character is kind of vanished ?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Did we? I don't recall.
He's still in the inactive list and he did intend to come back at some stage. I've PMed him again to find out in any case.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

well we did kind of agree to it , when Howler came back for like a week a so , the plan was that he got left behind , but manage to follow the ship and rejoin them when they get to a dock , meaning that right now his characters is/are not on the ship
but yeah , you better contact him in any case ^^
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I forgot to point out that 13 years was actually 13 pet years later :oops:

I will fix it, but I'm busy today. I promise it will be done!
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Already done so just got to wait for a response.
Okay, thanks. No rush, Neon. ;)
So he's what, 4 human years old then?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

That sounds about right!
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Argent

Post by Argent »

If Patrick was lost, Captain Palgrave would have been livid. Who was supposed to be watching him? They'd end up having a close personal experience with Eduardo.

Edit: I think I recall the discussion of having him being left behind, and as I recall I pointed out that it would take all day to break down the beach camp, so there was no chance of anyone being inadvertently abandoned.
Last edited by Argent on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Is there a crew member on board that has a history of mischief?
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

If I remember correctly, Dune and Blacks were supposed to be watching him.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Argent

Post by Argent »

hypernovatic wrote:If I remember correctly, Dune and Blacks were supposed to be watching him.
Yeh. No, Blacks definitely wouldn't survive that, if it had actually happened.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Either way, this is a moot point until I find out what TMH wants to do. He seems to have been checking in on the forums even though he hasn't been posting, so we'll see if he responds to my message. If not, we'll decide where to go from there.
MrNeonShot wrote:Is there a crew member on board that has a history of mischief?
The rats make mischief, as does Cedric. Other than that though, I'm not sure that there's anyone particularly mischievous...
You could always make someone up. ;) Just remember, they have to be worth more than their pranks cost otherwise Palgrave will give them the boot.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Okay, I shoulda worded that better.

Is there anyone who'd kidnap a certain white lion to try and sell with the jaguar? And could it be kept a secret until Ariel starts making a rucus?
Hotep the psychic

Post by Hotep the psychic »

you could always force someone. but i was thinking more towards the characters going into an arena, Where ship captains would enter pets to fight for entertainment and for gain of gold and such. ariel would be one of the rewards from the old captain when placed into a crate and considered "special value".
ImageImageImage
DRAGON EGGS!!! Click them!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

This is a ship, and not a very big one at that. You can't keep secrets for long in small, closed communities like that. On the other hand, if he was being held on-shore somewhere then yes, he could easily be kept secret.
In terms of crewmen on the ship, they're all either NPCs or owners and very few have been played or developed. If you want to have someone there to do something like that then you certainly can.

As to the arena, that would be difficult, Hotep. Remember these captains are at sea the bulk of the time so they don't get a lot of time to talk to their fellow captains much. Plus, I think full-on animal fights to the death would be too brutal and potentially controversial to allow on the forums, sorry.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Maybe not an animal fight arena, but a blackjack tournament? I wouldn't mind changing my character from a french family lion to a captain's pet!
Hotep the psychic

Post by Hotep the psychic »

oh sorry i meant an arena on castillo pato, thats why the many different captains.
ImageImageImage
DRAGON EGGS!!! Click them!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Hlaoroo wrote:As to the arena, that would be difficult, Hotep. Remember these captains are at sea the bulk of the time so they don't get a lot of time to talk to their fellow captains much. Plus, I think full-on animal fights to the death would be too brutal and potentially controversial to allow on the forums, sorry.
It could be Disneyfied. It's certainly historically accurate.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Blackjack, or at least it's precursor, 21, was around at the time so that is historically accurate too.
I suppose we could have them fighting until one surrenders like Blacks and Patrick did on the beach. That would be fine. And I guess having it in a central place like that that the pirates know of and look forward to when they get there would be historically accurate enough too...
All right, I'll allow it. Just remember to stay forum friendly. ;)

By the way, Roarin, there's no mess hall. This is a little old sailing ship with limited room. They'd get their food from the small galley and sit on the deck somewhere to eat. If they want their ration of drink then they'd have to ask the bosun unless they steal it.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

17th century card games

Pharo/Faro/Pharoah would be a likely choice.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Sounds like a plan!
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

MrNeonShot wrote:Name: Ariel Clair
color: #00BFFF

Specie: White Lion

Appearance: Ariel is a male white lion with black ear tips, a black nose, and a black tail tip. He has pink paw pads, and his inner ear is pink. His eyes are blue (which the image provided doesn't show), and he wears a posh red and yellow jacket his father gave him.
HNI_0076_MPO.JPG
(sorry for the bad quality '///')

Personality: Ariel is a natural born leader and very caring (despite appearances). If a friend is in trouble, he will try talking to the problem before beating it to a pulp (He won't resort to violence unless forced to).

Dislikes: Meat, but has to eat it to live.

Backstory: Ariel was a young lion that had been born on the sea. 1 month later, during a bad storm, Ariel was forced to jump off his ship so that he might have a slim chance of surviving the storm (which he did). Some people say he swam to France, others say he used the wreckage from the destroyed ship to hold himself up. Both stories are true.

After being found on shore of France, the white lion was sold to the highest bidder for his fur. Luckily, Mr. Clair bought him and kept him as a pet and threatening tool for his not so legal business.

Fast forward to 4 years later.
Mr. Clair has developed a bit of a gambling addiction, purchasing new pets to fight in an arena for more money.
Sadly, he's run out, and is now using his last possession to win it all back: Ariel.

Other Notes: Ariel aspires to become a captain of his own ship one day to sail the sea's.

Stats: S5 P5 E10 C7 I5 A7 L3
How does this look?
Last edited by MrNeonShot on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hello there! I'm considering joining this RP since pokepets has ground to a halt. Just a few questions:
1: Should I read the whole thing before joining or can I just drop in?
2: IC-wise, what positions are available on the ship? If it's not taken, I'd like my character to be the archivist, I.E. keeps track of where they've been, what they've got, who they've met, etc.
3: Can our characters talk like normal or do they actually have to talk like they're from the 1600s?
Also if I do join I'm going to do what Brent did and have my characters be the ancestors of my AC characters.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Read the first page or so in the OOC thread to pick up the background. Then skim the narrative thread.

The key thing to be aware of is that pets are property, with no exceptions, and not expected to be more than muscle power. The Impudence is unusual in that has pets fighting and working on the gun deck. Partly because Captain Palgrave is a free thinker and maybe even a bit liberal for the time, and partly because the ship is so undermanned. His first mate is more typical, and is a right scoundrel... and a smart one who knows the captain is a much better captain than him.

So, your character could serve as an archivist, but only in an unofficial sense, and probably because the captain keeps his own logs close to his chest.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Hi, Lego! Welcome!
Pretty much what Argent said. No need to read the whole thread though, maybe just the last couple of pages to get a feel for it, just like you would any other RP.
We just have the characters talking the way we'd talk today because in actuality that's not too different from what they did anyway. The really formal stuff was only for books and the oos and arrs of pirates were just in the movies. :P
In terms of positions available on the ship, we have NPCs as captain, first mate and cook but everything else is available. Like Argent said, I think the archives tended to be kept by the captain but your character could certainly keep a diary of his own. If you wanted him to be the more educated sort then perhaps he could be the navigator? That way he'd be close to the captain too.
Either way, feel free to drop in a character sheet for my perusal. ;)

Speaking of which, Neon, I think I'm happy with Ariel now. What's his age though? A bit over 5 human years? Or closer to six or seven or what?
Let me know that and you can feel free to join in either when we get to Castillo Pato or sooner if you can find a way.

Everybody else, what would be your thoughts on doing a time skip soon to get us to Castillo Pato faster?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Okay so my character will be the navigator. Any idea on how he will have joined the ship? Maybe met at port or from a captured ship?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Ariel is supposed to be 14 pet years old. 1 human year is 3.5 pet years, right?
So 4 years old.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Hlaoroo wrote:Everybody else, what would be your thoughts on doing a time skip soon to get us to Castillo Pato faster?
hm.....well I'm ok with it if everyone else is , sooooo I guess I'll hold my post for now then ?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

It could be that he's always been there but just hasn't appeared in the story yet, Lego. I think it's safe to assume that there are more pets on the ship than we've met so far.

Neon: That's right. Thanks for that. Now... How do you want to get him into the game?

Serence: Go ahead and post. We can keep posting until we've got everyone's thoughts on the skip.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

*flops on Hlaoroo* I'm fine with a time skip. *rolls out of the room*
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

@Roo - Whoops, will edit to accommodate. Would raiding the storage room be a possibility?
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I like the idea of Ariel being a prize from the fighting arena.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Roarin: Yes, you can definitely do that. Just don't get caught. ;)

Neon: Sounds fine. We'll skip if/when everyone agrees to it.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

Hlaoroo wrote: If you wanted him to be the more educated sort then perhaps he could be the navigator? That way he'd be close to the captain too.
Well, the navigator would be a human, but he could belong to the navigator.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

That's what I was thinking, Argent. Sorry I wasn't clear about it, Lego. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hlaoroo wrote:It could be that he's always been there but just hasn't appeared in the story yet, Lego. I think it's safe to assume that there are more pets on the ship than we've met so far.
True, but I've never liked the http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... rTheNewGuy trope. I feel like new characters should have a proper introduction.
Also, it was my plan to have my character be owned by the navigator. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Well, I think we could still make it work... What if the navigator was killed in the recent battle? Your character's owner could be the new navigator who impresses the captain with his talk in the tavern at Castillo Pato.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I like the idea of the owner replacing the old navigator, though I'm having trouble making this one. It's been a while since I've made a character and I haven't dropped into a existing RP, just ones that are starting. So far all I've gotten is that he'll be weak physically but have high intelligence and that his owner has a goatee. Also at what point during the 17th century does this take place?

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

It's the year 1625. Charles I has just ascended to the throne but nobody on the ship will know that yet. In these days news spreads slowly.

Sounds like you've got a good start on your character. My advice is just make the character as though this is a brand new RP because really character-making works the same way for any RP. Don't be intimidated by the lore that might already exist. We'll soon help you out if anything doesn't work but really it's hard to stuff it up. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Roarin

Post by Roarin »

I'm up for a time skip
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Hotep: You up for a skip?

I think we should hold off just for a couple more posts though, just until Lego has his character ready so that we can bring him in after the skip.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters